MP Message Board
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Message Board
 MavPuck.com Maverick Hockey Forum
 NCHC: OT Changes...NHL Nets...Revenue...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  2:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/514980?referrer_id=878553

The NCHC's "Year In Review" is a good read, and gives insight into the year that was, and enhancements for the future.

Some highlights:

NCHC.tv – A new revenue stream for the conference in 2014-15 was NCHC.tv, which helped diversify the NCHC’s overall revenue rather than being almost entirely reliant on the NCHC Tournament. In its first year, NCHC.tv subscriptions generated approximately $200,000 for the conference and member institutions. The majority of NCHC.tv revenue will be distributed back to the member schools.

Competition/Policy Changes

Overtime Structure – The NCHC is looking into the possibility of changing both its overtime procedures and point structure in the standings. Currently, if a conference game is tied following regulation, a five-minute overtime is played 5-on-5 with a three-man shootout to follow if no winner is decided. For conference games, the NCHC is looking at experimenting with a five-minute 3-on-3 overtime should the game remain tied following the NCAA-mandated five-minute 5-on-5 overtime. The NCHC has closely followed the success the American Hockey League (AHL) and junior hockey leagues have experienced with 3-on-3 overtime. If the game is still tied following the 3-on-3 overtime, the game would then go to a sudden death shootout to determine which team wins the extra point in the standings. The conference has already informed the NCAA Rules Committee of its desire to add an experimental rule to allow a 3-on-3 overtime format to be played. The NCHC Board of Directors will need to officially approve any overtime or point structure changes to the current model. This topic will be discussed more during the off-season.

Travel Roster – Due to the competitiveness of the NCHC, the Board of Directors voted to expand the travel roster for conference games from 22 players to 23 players. The primary reason for the change was health and safety concerns for injured or sick student-athletes who might currently need to play on the road. The home team has access to its full roster of players as the expanded travel roster helps eliminate some of that “home-ice advantage.”

NHL Nets – The Board of Directors voted to use NHL-sized nets in all NCHC venues and at the NCHC Frozen Faceoff beginning with the upcoming 2015-16 season. The depth of an NHL-sized net is narrower than the nets that have been used to-date. Based on experiences from the NHL, the change could create more scoring opportunities.

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  11:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And this...

Jersey Colors/School-Colored Logos – While still needing official approval from the NCHC Board of Directors, the NCHC is exploring having teams wear their color sweaters (road jerseys normally) for a portion of the home conference games only (rather than traditional white jerseys). In addition, the NCHC is developing school-specific colored NCHC logos that may be used in various places moving forward.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7923 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  09:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School-Colored Logos -- sounds like what MLS has done with their new logo. Like the idea, but wonder what two-tone Miami will do.

Jersey Colors -- I like this. Played in a junior league that had a similar rule. I believe January 8 was the changeover date -- white at home before, dark at home after. It allows fans to see all of their teams sweaters. My only concern, it would give UNO an excuse to wear 'Omaha' on sweaters worn at home. That needs to end.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  10:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SecretAgentMav

My only concern, it would give UNO an excuse to wear 'Omaha' on sweaters worn at home. That needs to end.

We need to see home jerseys with the "O" logo or "Bull" logo on the chest.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7923 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  2:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very short man once told me UNO could not wear the 'O' as a primary without looking like 'a bunch of zeros'.

With ESPN using the 'O' in their broadcasts, I think it makes sense to have it on at least one sweater. But yes, tradition dictates UNO needs a bullhead -- and it needs to be on the white sweaters.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1619 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  2:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NCHC Tournament moving to the xcel energy center next year...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4324045-nchc-move-frozen-faceoff-xcel-energy-center

I understand why, but I'm not totally sold on the idea. the target center is a dump but they did go over backwards for the event.

st. paul is a boring ass city.

not a big fan of the move...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

WahooLancer
Freshman Mav

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  5:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a huge fan of moving to the Xcel Center. Xcel is huge, even with 8000 North Dakota fans there, it will seem empty. Agree there is not much to do in Downtown St. Paul, other than the obligatory visit to Tom Reid's Hockey City Pub. Much more to do around the Target Center. Better hotel area as well. The only way to really make this work might be to have a joint Big 10 - NCHC tournament that would run Thursday through Saturday. NCHC semis on Thursday. Big 10 Semi's on Friday. Consolation games Saturday morning early afternoon. Finals late Saturday/Saturday night. It will never happen as I am sure the Big 10 would want the entire gate proceeds, but it would be incredible hockey fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000