New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2015 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope to see a lot of STHs out at the Ralston Arena this afternoon. My first UNO MBB game :)

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
#CallMeMaverick ... but I might not answer

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2015 :  4:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there! Tough loss to drop to 1-5 in the league. Tough to think you could lose with CJ throwing down 45.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2015 :  6:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there as well...you probably heard my son as well until midway through the 2nd half.

That 5-7 minute stretch in the latter part of the first half should knaw at them all week long.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  12:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same general 5 minute stretch has sunk them in each of the last 3 home games. It seems like they have generally been playing close through most of the first half, but sometime around 4-5 minutes left in the first half, they completely fall apart and it goes from a 4 point game to a 12 point game with about a minute to go. Then, they are playing catch up the rest of the game.

I can't explain it, but it's consistent.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  09:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there as well. Quite a show by CJ Carter. I've been to several UNO basketball games the last couple years. I'm not sure if it looks like we are out coached on D, lack in defensive intensity or we are just undisciplined? Athletically we look D1 but something is missing.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  09:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, the run and gun style that worked pretty darn well the last 2 seasons isn't clicking this year. too many wide open shots missed that then turn into transition buckets the other way for the opponents by putting the defense on its heels. Rostampour is a beast on D, but it's difficult on a defense when your offense is constantly pushing as hard as they do, and it's not resulting in buckets and giving you a chance to get back on D.

It's just a bad year. Last year, they were one of the highest scoring teams in all of college basketball and were in the upper echelon in free throw shooting. Now, the offense sputters more often than not and they can't hit a free throw at times. Injuries have plagued the team, and some of the new players haven't quite lived up to their potential yet. I'm also surprised by how clearly they miss Justin Simmons and John Karhoff. I figured that with a solid nucleus of Carter, Patterson, Rostampour along with the newbies like Thurman and White, they'd actually be better than last year. Sometimes, you just can't account for chemistry.

I also think they are still a bit thin overall. They've really struggled with the size of teams like NDSU and even IUPUI yesterday. They just don't match up. Again, I like Rostampour, but other guys that have some size going for them like Jake White and Thurman don't always play all that big or strong. It creates alot of matchup issues agains some of these teams on both ends of the court.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  10:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good observations - I agree that poor defense and lack of depth are probably the key factors (based on my one game worth of observations)

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
#CallMeMaverick ... but I might not answer
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  2:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to think it's personnel related. Not enough depth and maybe not the right mix of guys this year. Hansen's been around a long time and he's had plenty of teams that played uptempo but didn't struggle like this on the other end. Sure they gave up points but they did enough to get the wins.

This year's team is just too inconsistent and makes too many mistakes. Last year's team had nine guys playing 15 mpg or more. You had Justin Simmons and Marcus Tyus battling to start/play. Alex Phillips was a great option off the bench who shot 39% from deep. Steffensmeier/Hagerbaumer were great character guys who were seniors and played their butts off when they got the chance. Hagerbaumer didn't waste possessions (72% shooter) and grabbed five boards in 20 minutes per game.

This year on the bench you have Jake White who is providing Hagerbaumer's rebounding... but shooting 38% and using more possessions. No one else is averaging 15 minutes and no one could be considered a potential starter. Looking for a guard off the bench to provide a spark? Tim Smallwood is shooting just 24% from 3 but shoots them more often than anyone on the team (one every 5.4 minutes vs. 10.1 min for Patterson, 8.3 for Tyus (the best shooter by %) and 6 minutes for Carter)... yikes.

The depth just isn't there which puts more pressure on the starters to carry the team and also means there isn't the same battling for time that you get with a better roster. Guys don't have to work as hard to keep their spots and I do think that can have an effect... and if they aren't playing well in a game you don't have great options to go to.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  7:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my first UNO basketball game ever, and I've only watched a couple on TV...so I don't have a lot of perspective. I will say that when IUPUI went on that first half run, I kept asking myself where the team that beat Marquette was.

One thing that I think they missed Sunday was Rostampour after his early foul trouble... The second was particularly curious. (I don't think I've ever seen three straight offensive fouls called in a game.)

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  8:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rostampour always plays with alot of physicality and anger. It's part of his game, and it's why I like him so much, but it often leads to foul troubles. He'd been better at staying in games this year, but I'm guessing the losing streak is wearing on him and everyone else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000