Omaha Mammoths / FXFL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/sports/four-team-fxfl-works-on-draft-scheduling-plan/article_8c755674-f608-5f75-88dd-ff564313c80a.html

Is there anybody that doesn't think this is going to be a complete disaster; possibly even more of a twizzlersshow than the UFL's last season?

Apparently, the season is supposed to start in October and they haven't announced a schedule or drafted any players yet. There will only be four teams instead of eight. The four teams will be in New York, Boston, Miami and Omaha. I bet they will go bankrupt from the travel costs alone. Oh, and the coaches will be signed to "8 week contracts" LOL, I'm sure all the great ones will be lining up for that gig.

I will admit that the Nighthawks/UFL looked like it might work out the first season it was here. There were some real names involved and the crowd support seemed to be there...But, this new league just seems like a joke. What are the odds it even lasts one full season?

I know that their goal is to turn this into a true "development" league, but I think college football is always going to fill that void, especially now that the big conferences are breaking away from the NCAA. Arena football fills the rest of the gap because it's just a better format for a minor league.

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I am surprised it got this far. That being said, they really, really need to get going.

You nailed it though. There is going to be a huge difference between this and the Nighthawks. The Nighthawks had some star power and were going for a big time feel (and of course despite good crowds, they still lost millions). These guys are at least trying to work on a budget, but I have no idea if the public is remotely interested in something like that. If I was anywhere other than the 4 cities this league is in, I have no TV interest. I'd rather watch a Hard Knocks repeat, that 2 minor league football teams playing with players that could not make an NFL practice squad.

It's just so hard to get anyone to invest in one of these things.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2014 :  6:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to believe this could be successful after what seems like an awful start... but who knows.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2014 :  10:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am staying optimistic on this. The fact that the league already has a stable looking payment system and the economics in place seems huge. It is also not trying to be a competing league, again, huge. The owners of the New York team have big money (as in the New York Mets), and it already has owners within the NFL talking and backers have came forward saying if it can be successful, they will go in.

The UFL had a huge downfall trying to be another NFL. Where this league (seemingly) is going right is trying to become a AAA league and cooperating with the NFL. Now, yes, it could absolutely fall on its face. But it could also get and NFL endorsement within a couple years, and that would be HUGE.

I am very interested to see where this goes.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  2:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody going Wednesday?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  6:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No but I might watch it on ESPN3. Gonna save my football $ this week for Millard North-Bellevue West on Thursday night.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  10:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And who didn't see this coming? http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Ticket-Sales-Low-For-Omaha-Mammoths-Football-Team-Debut-278453221.html

LOL, minor league football on a Wednesday evening...yea, I wonder why people aren't lining up to pay $40 for this. It sounds like the team has been together for about 2 weeks and there are 38 players on the roster. I would rather watch Arena Football than this mess.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  02:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prices are way too high.... but that's no surprise is it really?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  10:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UFL really screwed up what we expect to pay for this. UFL was tremendously under priced and totally over paid for the players.

This is actually probably a sound business model, considering what it costs to field a football team. Unfortunately I don't think people will pay this for minor league football. It's why all minor leagues fail. I think the same fate will happen with the FXFL.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  1:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When criticizing them playing Wednesday, that is actually the best business model. They want to be affiliated with the NFL, so they can't play Thursday, Sunday, or Monday, and you don't want to interfere with college or high school so that takes out Friday or Saturday. You only have two options left. And I am hopeful that this becomes a better league down the road, but they need to show Omaha they can last before Omaha will support it and give their money, plain and simple. But it could be very good for our city going forward. People will not show up this year as much
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

When criticizing them playing Wednesday, that is actually the best business model. They want to be affiliated with the NFL, so they can't play Thursday, Sunday, or Monday, and you don't want to interfere with college or high school so that takes out Friday or Saturday. You only have two options left. And I am hopeful that this becomes a better league down the road, but they need to show Omaha they can last before Omaha will support it and give their money, plain and simple. But it could be very good for our city going forward. People will not show up this year as much

Truthfully, the "best business model" would be to not try in the first place because history has proven a league like this will never work. If you think your only option is to play on Wednesday nights, then you're already in trouble. Unfortunately, this league won't be around long enough for Omaha to "give it a chance."

If they were hellbent on doing this, a spring league would have made much more sense. Of course, TD Ameritrade wouldn't be available. But, with the attendance they are likely to draw, I am sure most high school stadiums would be up to the challenge.

And again, $40? Who is going to pay that?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  12:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BIGHUSKERMAV

quote:

Truthfully, the "best business model" would be to not try in the first place because history has proven a league like this will never work. If you think your only option is to play on Wednesday nights, then you're already in trouble. Unfortunately, this league won't be around long enough for Omaha to "give it a chance."

If they were hellbent on doing this, a spring league would have made much more sense. Of course, TD Ameritrade wouldn't be available. But, with the attendance they are likely to draw, I am sure most high school stadiums would be up to the challenge.

We've had the conversation about high school stadiums before, and even Caniglia before they tore out the football field. I once thought that maybe Burke would be the best choice for the Nighthawks after the Blatt, but the consensus was that high school stadiums would be problematic. Would there be any scenario where they could sell beer at a high school facility? No beer would be a non-starter, I'd think, when it comes to minor league football.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BIGHUSKERMAV

quote:

Yes, I am hopeful because it the league does well it makes Omaha look good, and it sounds like the product on the field last night was good, I think it has a chance. They do seem hellbent on doing this and a spring league makes no sense. I think you are missing their point. They want to be a minor league, to co-exist. Playing in a different season does not accomplish that goal.

I always thought Caniglia at the time was a good choice, but since they are starting their league with potential growth in mind, I think the baseball stadium was an okay plan. But we will see over the years how this does or doesn't pan out.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  10:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's proving difficult to wipe the stench of the UFL from Omaha.

That being said, if they can get buy-in from the NFL, I still believe this league could work.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  12:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea...1,500 on Wednesday night. This is going swimmingly. I'm an idiot for ever doubting that this would work.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  12:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh crap, I forgot, every startup business has been an instant success right out of the gate.

What's with all the negativity? This is why we can't have nice things. If you don't want to support something, that's absolutely your right, but geeze, would you give it a second?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  12:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In fairness, it's hard NOT to compare this to the first season of the Nighthawks, which was an amazing success in terms of fan interest and support.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And with playing at TD Ameritrade the expectation is set that this will be a big deal... drawing 1/3 of the people that show up to some high school football games sure doesn't reflect that.

Also if they are charging $40 a ticket that won't even cover player salaries... let alone everything else involved in putting the games on. Is this league really willing to lose money for several years? I just don't have much belief in minor leagues that are willing to lose money anymore...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2014 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are already behind the eight ball right now, I'd say. Honestly, your best bets with things like this is to start out hot right out of the gate and hope that sustains you for a couple of years. That's the only thing the Nighthawks did well. They got their marketing machine going, set the bar high in terms of ticket sales and atmosphere. Yes, their business model was unsustainable, but they hoped that big attendance in the first year would open eyes and get the NFL to jump on board. When that didn't happen, it was a slow race to the inevitable.

On the other hand, this is limping out of the gate. It's not a good starting point. I'd say we are already at the point that if they don't complete their hail mary of getting the NFL to jump in, year 2 becomes iffy and anything beyond that is a huge stretch.

People have a right to be skeptical about this. Many were burned by the Nighthawks in this city once. They left so many creditors high and dry and left people who emotionally invested in the team high and dry. They started this without their ducks in a row. They didn't have a real marketing campaign. They didn't have a schedule out until late, and they didn't do much of anything to get people onboard. So far, they've reaped what they've sown.

Also, on a league level, I think it was overall a mistake to put these teams in big cities like Boston and New York where something like the FXFL isn't even likely in the top 20 teams on the collective sports consciousness. It's just seeming like an overall flop in the making.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  10:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not updating their twitter account regularly certainly isn't helping. They tweeted shortly before Friday's game that they had a game in a half an hour. They tweeted a halftime score... and that was it. Nothing at the end. Good luck following them casually and trying to grow attached at all.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  10:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness it's worse than I thought. the FXFL website doesn't even have the score from this weekend listed. Might be time to give up trying to follow them at all.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  5:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shades of the UFL...they've cancelled Wednesday night's game with Brooklyn and are looking to reschedule it in New York as a "FXFL Championship" game.

That being said, I'd really like to see them unveil a new plan to make this work next spring for games next fall. I want this to work, and I think it could...but man, they have to quit half-a$$ing it.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And they are having problems scheduling this game, so it's looking more and more like the season is over. FWIW, the goalposts are still up at TD Ameritrade Park.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up on them when then cancelled their last game, didn't let everyone know on their Facebook page leading to people posting on there the day of asking if the game was really cancelled, and then deleted some of the posts asking if the game was cancelled.

Goodbye.

Apparently their social media is run from New York so no one to blame locally thankfully. Sandy Buda was on there some with his personal page apologizing to fans and trying to explain things.... sure there are a lot of good people in the organization/team but there are big problems with the way this thing was run.

Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  10:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colbert is also a negative meanie-head for making fun of this league:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoL7AzOSixo

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  10:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has the "championship" game been officially cancelled yet?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  5:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been cancelled according to a post on the Brooklyn Bolts facebook page - http://sfctoday.com/sports/1751-no-fxfl-championship-game-but-brooklyn-bolts-end-season-undefeated.html

quote:
The Bolts made this announcement public via their Facebook page: "The Inaugural Season of the FXFL is officially over. The league tried to put together a championship game for next week, but logistically they weren't able to make it work. The Bolts finish the season with a 4-0 record and in 1st place. Thanks to the over 8,000 fans who came through the gates and helped to #BringTheThunder."

However, the league has not posted anything about this on their official website or any of their social media accounts. LAME!

You can harp on me all you want for being down on this league, but that's a chickentwizzlers move that isn't going to win people over. Why should fans show interest when you cut the season short and then cheat them out of a promised championship game? To top it off, you stay silent for 3 weeks and don't even report the bad news. They should have just let the top two teams play each other during the regular season.

Seriously, what made the FXFL think they could just throw together a championship game in NYC with a few weeks notice? And what made them think the players would stick around waiting with baited breath? This is amateur hour at its finest, folks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000