New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  7:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like there is yet another new pad being constructed in Omaha at 66th and Grover. He wants to get it running by October which is probably a tall order but who knows. For whatever reason south Omaha has rinks popping up like crazy.

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  10:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ketv.com/news/man-proposes-plans-for-south-omaha-ice-rink/26768958

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7923 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the only reason to build this is for another sheet of ice -- I don't think this is a good idea.

However, if they are doing this because ice at Tranquility has gotten too expensive. Go for it.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  9:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motto is $175, Ralston is $185 and Tranq is $195. Of those three Ralston and Motto are taxpayer subsidized. So which one is really over priced? I am new here so fill me in what's all the negativity directed at Tranq about? If they were not around would it be better for the skating world? They provide a lot of ice to the community and don't require someone else to pay there bills just the people who use it.
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  9:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motto is $175, Ralston is $185 and Tranq is $195. Of those three Ralston and Motto are taxpayer subsidized. So which one is really over priced? I am new here so fill me in what's all the negativity directed at Tranq about? If they were not around would it be better for the skating world? They provide a lot of ice to the community and don't require someone else to pay there bills just the people who use it.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7923 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  09:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been long-standing problems with management at Tranquility, and we could talk about that history -- but most on here know it already by heart.

The major problem at Tranquility is that money being put back into the building is being put in all the wrong places. They have updated the lobby, ok nice -- but I would rather the fix the glaring problems with the playing surfaces, including the zamboni doors on the NHL side, which have been dangerous since I was in high-school.

And overall, the major issue is usage and price. I do not believe your numbers to be accurate -- they are off by at least $100 at Tranquility. And I see drop-in prices to be higher than they should be (specifically at Tranquility).

But here is the big thing -- those prices are inflated artificially. Those numbers could be lower -- in that $175-$200 range (or lower) if they made one adjustment that is common place anywhere else you find an ice rink... stop giving men's leagues the prime ice times.

Omaha is spoiled when it comes to men's leagues. Go to Chicago, go to Boston, go to Winnipeg or Toronto -- the EARLY game for a men's league is 11 pm.

In Omaha, the rink is closed by 10. Heck, when I was in high school (in Omaha) we would have the occasional 1145pm practice on a Monday night. I don't know why they changed it (though I admit those practices were not idea for students), but if rinks stayed open later -- there is more ice available, which brings the price down, and that in turn makes hockey more affordable for families.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all due respect you are simply wrong on the cost of ice at Tranq. It is $195 an hour and dont take my word for it email or call them and ask for the price for an hour of ice. You are also wrong on the mens leagues getting early times. I know because I called about ice times and price and there was nothing before 9:30 available to an adult group last winter or this winter for that matter. Would the cost of ice go down if people skated later, maybe but the fact is in Omaha, NE nobody wants to be on the ice past 10:45. OHC wants to be done and off the ice by 9:15 pm. Maybe the ice was bad and the price was higher years ago but I dont feel it is that way today. I will be there later today and I will make a point to look at the zam doors but other then the ice build up that can occur I have not noticed any "glaring" issues.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  2:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceguy

There have been many issues with Tranquility over the years. An example is the men's leagues and how they got treated. Couple years ago when it became clear that Ralston was coming, Tranq panicked and seemed to think everyone was going to abandon them. At the time both the BPHL and MCHL were playing there (year round). Tranq tried forming their own leagues and was refusing to book ice for the two established leagues (the guys behind the BPHL had been booking ice there since they opened). They tried to almost force the players from the other leagues into theirs. It backfired and nobody signed up for the new league. They finally relented and allowed the other leagues to keep booking. Speaking as someone who has skated in the BPHL the whole time, they did start jerking us around on days though.

That's why BPHL is now at Ralston.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  2:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had some rough ice times for Men's leagues over the years. I remember skating with Hockey North America at 7AM on Saturday mornings at Ak Sar Been. About a third of our players in those days were from Lincoln, and had to get up around 5 for the drive to Omaha.

We use to start most of our games around 11:45 on weeknights too. That was when the bars closed at 1. Even BPHL it was not that long ago when over half our ice times started after 11.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:
Originally posted by iceguy

There have been many issues with Tranquility over the years. An example is the men's leagues and how they got treated. Couple years ago when it became clear that Ralston was coming, Tranq panicked and seemed to think everyone was going to abandon them. At the time both the BPHL and MCHL were playing there (year round). Tranq tried forming their own leagues and was refusing to book ice for the two established leagues (the guys behind the BPHL had been booking ice there since they opened). They tried to almost force the players from the other leagues into theirs. It backfired and nobody signed up for the new league. They finally relented and allowed the other leagues to keep booking. Speaking as someone who has skated in the BPHL the whole time, they did start jerking us around on days though.

That's why BPHL is now at Ralston.

Greg

Greg, I think you are right that they did panic. I think it is a stretch to say they were ill treated. Seems to me the rink did not take into account the loyalty of the players to their leagues. The rink probably saw it as a supply and demand deal, more ice means the same amount of skaters have more options and more leverage to chose where to buy their ice and for how much. If a rink had its own league I can see why it would seem beneficial to them in that environment. I see were you are coming from but I dont get the resentment. I have a question for you if the Grover rink wanted to start its own men's league or youth hockey league for that matter would that be ok? He is the one who is taking the risk and stands to lose millions of dollars if the rink doesn't pan out.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  10:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the difference for me was we (the men's leagues) had been paying customers and committed to buying ice from before they rink at Tranq. opened. Then years later, they attempted to form a competitor and initially refused to sell the ice time that we had always had. They also started bumping around the nights we had always played on. To me, that's been ill treated as a long time customer.

If Grover does all that from the start, no worries. But if he were to treat customers that he has had for over 10 years that way, then I'd feel the same.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I get where you are coming from. I think financial stress and being new to running the rink back then caused them to make a poor decision. Hopefully time will heal the hard feelings. I have gotten to know the owner and she is probably the nicest lady you would ever meet.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  1:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard she is a nice lady. Hopefully it works out. I know Blade and Edge had issues with scheduling and such there as well.

I did here an extension was signed with the city.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2015 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ice coming in a few weeks. We are going to start skating there in July to get ready for the Cornhusker/National games at the end of the month.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  4:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to skate here on Tuesday. Very nice addition to the local hockey scene. Still some interior work that's being finished but the ice was good.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2015 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grover Ice got their liquor license approved:

https://www.facebook.com/292621207585122/photos/a.573771356136771.1073741830.292621207585122/573947122785861/?type=3&theater
Go to Top of Page

WahooLancer
Freshman Mav

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2015 :  2:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to Stick & Puck yesterday. Overall this is a real nice little ice rink. The good. The place is really clean. Locker rooms are clean & have a lot of room. Lobby is clean. Ice was firm and pretty smooth. The bad, if the place was busy, parking could be an issue. I didn't try the food or have a drink. I hope they can expand the lobby into a quasi hockey sports bar, it has alot of potential.

One down side, only 6 people at stick & puck yesterday (including me and my two kids), so we need to help support this place or they won't be in business long.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main lot does fill. You can also park in the lower lot the faces Grover. I love the TV's in the locker rooms so you can see when the ice is ready.

Need to remember that for Stick and Puck. We've been going to Fremont some because it does not have big crowds for that (Motto at times for Stick and Puck has been way too crowded).

Greg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000