Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  4:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Molina -- eh ok fight I guess -- undercard could be really good.

Come on down! I know that everyone likes 2 guys dry humping these days with that mma crap...

support your champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ralstonmav
New Recruit

45 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  8:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been to a big time fight. This is going to be great.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2014 :  4:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is going to need to be a lot more promoting - may being the Omaha and surrounding area's boxing community is aware of the fight, but the only thing I've heard has been right here in this thread.

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished getting my tickets for the fight! 43 bucks lower bowel.

I'm stoked! crawford will box circles around gamboa. -- fight may be boring since crawford usually avoids an all out slugfest.

the baby bull was supposed to be on the undercard vs raymond beltran -- that would have been a good fight, but I'm intrigued by the Matt Korobov vs. Jose Uzcategui fight. I like Uzcategui in that fight by late stoppage.

also for the freaks out there: the Canelo Alvarez vs. Erislandy Lara fight on july 12th is being shown in the theater.

pay 25 bucks and watch the ppv on the big screen.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4098 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  08:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen a whole lot on this either, any idea how ticket sales are going? Pretty cool get for Omaha.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5302 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that they've only opened up limited seats for the fight...much like UNO hockey. If they sell out the seats they have, they'll open up the upper deck.

Boxing isn't dead, but it's become firmly entrenched as a niche sport, now that all of the fights worth watching are on PPV. PPV allows them to maximize revenue from their core audience, but doesn't allow them to expand it.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  7:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crawford-Gamboa tix have sold so well in Omaha that @CarlMoretti says they've opened the upper deck at the arena. #boxing #omahaomahaomaha

apparently over 7500 sold

nice hbo preview here:

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fights/2014/06-28-terence-crawford-vs-yuriorkis-gamboa#/boxing/fights/2014/06-28-terence-crawford-vs-yuriorkis-gamboa/video/crawford-vs-gamboa-promo.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA==

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4098 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool. Hopefully we don't have to wait so long before the next one. Very impressive considering that they have not promoted this as much as they could have.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update:

Yes, more than 10k tickets sold, according to TR, which said it opened the upper levels of the arena because of the ticket demand.

also:

, this weekend is a free HBO and Cinemax preview weekend. Participation varies so it's not in every market, but it is in Omaha this weekend so those not at the fight and who don't have HBO can watch the card.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  07:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is awesome Quinn, will definitely be watching.

The secondary market on the tickets really saw the prices jump late this week. Not sure how normal that is (never look at those things) but Thursday I could have bought tickets for $15 it looked like but by Friday those same tickets were $30+, now $99... Many less tickets available compared to two days ago when it seemed like there were a ton on the sites.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  07:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
over 10K last night to watch crawford TKO gamboa in round 9

for those that missed it -- you should have been there.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4098 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  12:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

over 10K last night to watch crawford TKO gamboa in round 9

for those that missed it -- you should have been there.

Quinn

Looked like a blast. I watched at home and Omaha came across great on TV. I can't believe how many times the HBO guys said Omaha.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

ralstonmav
New Recruit

45 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  8:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was an electric atmosphere. It was so loud we couldn't here the announcer. Amazing. Another thing. I don't know what happened with the staff but they were actually very friendly and helpful to everyone. Probably just because HBO was in town is what I'm guessing.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  07:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From ESPN's Dan Rafael's story about the fight... http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11151782/terrence-crawford-knocks-yuriorkis-gamboa-retain-lightweight-world-title

"After winning the belt, Crawford wanted to make his first defense in his hometown, and promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank also wanted to bring him to Omaha, where he believes Crawford can become an attraction. Based on Saturday's result and the raucous crowd Crawford drew, he is on his way.

"We've got another center for boxing. We'll be back there before the end of the year," said Arum, who was forced to watch the fight on HBO because he is laid up in his Los Angeles home recovering from knee replacement surgery last week. "I would say 90 percent of the people who came to the fight had never been to a prize fight. I think they'll all be back. That was so exciting.

Whether Crawford remains at lightweight -- not a very deep division for making a big fight -- or goes up to junior welterweight, which he said he might do, Arum said he plans to bring Crawford back to Omaha for his next fight. After that, he thinks a really big fight is in store for Crawford -- one against superstar and welterweight titleholder Manny Pacquiao.

"When you get a guy like Crawford, who is a great technical fighter but who also can slug, you have something special," Arum said. "He fought intelligently. Gamboa had the better of it for the first four rounds, but the kid was figuring it out and timing him and he did his job.

"Down the road -- and it's very possible -- that a year from now we put him in with Pacquiao. That would be a huge fight and a great fight. If you really think you have a great fighter with superstar qualities, you move him that way, you don't protect him. You move a superstar into the biggest fights you can make for him, and that's what we are going to do."

Sounds like an exciting future ahead for Crawford and some more big fights to come in the city's future.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  07:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also a great article on Yahoo about the brilliance of putting this fight in Omaha, pricing the tickets the way they did, and building a base of fans here for Crawford.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/terence-crawford-brings-down-the-house-in-a-star-making-performance-at-home-032014218.html

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5302 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  12:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On 1620 last week, a boxing commentator said that Saturday's card would have drawn poorly in Las Vegas, so it was a natural move to hold it in Omaha. I don't think Omaha is going to become a boxing town all of a sudden, but certainly if Crawford's opponent doesn't mind fighting here, they'll be back.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  12:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's official -- Crawford v beltran november 29th at Clink -- be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

ralstonmav
New Recruit

45 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  5:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you heard when the tickets go on sale?
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tickets went on sale today -- looks like the secondary market as tickets in the lower bowel are almost gone from what I saw...

if you never have been to a live fight -- get a sitter or do what ever it takes and get down to the clink november 29th!

Go to Top of Page

cowpuck
Freshman Mav

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  11:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quinn is right. I went to the fight in June and had a great time. We ARE going to this one.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  09:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lower bowl seats still available for around 90 bucks for corners. anything in the middle is pricy.

I did pick up 2 for 81 bucks this am in 108.

If you are a omaha sports fan -- this is a must see event.
the naysayers will say boxing is dead it's a fringe sport -- tell that to the 10,000 plus that will be at the clink november 29th.

sell a kidney if you have to -- go to this you won't be disappointed.

stay tuned for fight predictions!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping to find my way there... we'll see how the next couple weeks go!

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  2:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
less than a week to go!

just to get everyone ready!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU66s9tcQvo

be there!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  08:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy thanksgiving to all! -- time for some fight predictions!

I like Gradovich big on the hbo undercard -- velez may not win a round -- probably a wide margin on the scorecards 118-112 or something along those lines..

now onto the main event: beltran should be holding the belt after his one sided beatdown of ricky burns, but got robbed by some hometown cooking. they say styles make fights and this should be a pretty good fight..

I'm going to go with crawford: think he is too slick and too quick for beltran: it wont be an easy night: betran is a tough dude: I like crawford by a slim margin: 116-114

for the thousands in attendance and the millions watching around the world -- HBO @ 9 saturday...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  10:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
11,127 watch crawford win a wide UD:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/omaha-s-terence-bud-crawford-earns-unanimous-decision-over-ray/article_ed6bdde6-7851-11e4-a83a-d314a55b99b3.html

gradovich got hosed -- he won that fight easily

comments from those that were there?
for those that missed it -- shame on you omaha sports fan!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

cowpuck
Freshman Mav

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  5:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great night of fights. Two twelve round title bouts. Gradovich got the raw end of that draw. WTH. Crawford put on a clinic on how to win a fight with the jab. Look foward to watching him move up to 140. Quotes of the night.
"this is a throwback fight to the days where the champion would fight the number one contenderin his division"
"You get the feeling Beltran beats most lightweights in the world tonight, only Crawford isn't one of them"-@Max_Kellerman

Go to Top of Page

cowpuck
Freshman Mav

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  6:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great night of fights. Two twelve round title bouts. Gradovich got the raw end of that draw. WTH. Crawford put on a clinic on how to win a fight with the jab. Look foward to watching him move up to 140. Quotes of the night.
"this is a throwback fight to the days where the champion would fight the number one contenderin his division"
"You get the feeling Beltran beats most lightweights in the world tonight, only Crawford isn't one of them"-@Max_Kellerman

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  11:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those that missed it, the champ was back in action at 140 with a nice KO on HBO last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJveW8OqkPE

Hope we see the champ back in omaha again.
apparently the fight was in arlington TX because they couldn't find a venue in omaha.

some nice comments from our own tony boone on the twitter feed...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4098 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  11:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was going on at CenturyLink last night? That arena they were in looked small.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1595 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  07:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crawford looking for a big money fight:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/boone-with-his-meteoric-rise-will-boxers-duck-champ-terence/article_56180e7e-8900-5f58-a57c-277f286b5e7e.html

part of the reason it was in Arlington was Arum wanted to expose Crawford to more people. Can't make big money if no one other than the hardcore fans know who you are.

Pretty cool for me since I was there at the golden gloves way back in the day when he got robbed in the championship...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  5:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the #ASG15Omaha Celebrity Softball game he mentioned that he'd be fighting again in Oct 2015.

@Hoffin216
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" used to help me find my seat
Hummm, I wonder if I can change my user name to Hoffin216?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000