MECA wants more board members and longer terms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/article/20140318/NEWS/140318551/1685#meca-board-members-vote-to-add-seats-extend-terms

What a mess this organization has become. It sounds like they want to make it a "good ole boys club" with no accountability or transperency. Kudos to Willie Thiesen for standing up to this nonsense. With UNO leaving and the Civic Auditorium being dismantled, they have even *less* to (mis)manage. I hope the City Council tells them to Mountain Dew-off, but I know Omaha is dumber than that so I'm sure it will get approved with no problem.

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  08:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. It is a mess.

When the two ballot issues came up in 2000, I voted against the MECA part. It just seemed like they'd have too much power.
Go to Top of Page

MavFanEric
Sophomore Mav

USA
462 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  08:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the city is going to get involved and block this.

City gives MECA board ultimatum: Reverse vote to extend terms or risk end of contract
http://www.omaha.com/article/20140320/NEWS/140329919/1685#city-gives-meca-board-ultimatum-reverse-vote-to-extend-terms-or-risk-end-of-contract
Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA needs to be disbanded. A straight out power grab using the tax payers money and acting like it is theirs.
Go to Top of Page

lynchicemav
Old Sage With Infrequent Posts

193 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  09:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From page 11 of the infamous Rosenblatt thread; seems Admin had it right:

quote:
Originally posted by admin

Those of you that voted for the formation of MECA back in 2000 (or whenever it was) and give them a 90-year lease, made a mistake (I voted against that provision).

Rather than have a professional management company operate the facility, we have an outfit that is structured using the cronyism that exists in this city.

If they're willing to nearly derail the College World Series, you can only imagine what they'll do when it comes to other negotiations.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lynchicemav

From page 11 of the infamous Rosenblatt thread; seems Admin had it right:

quote:
Originally posted by admin

Those of you that voted for the formation of MECA back in 2000 (or whenever it was) and give them a 90-year lease, made a mistake (I voted against that provision).

Rather than have a professional management company operate the facility, we have an outfit that is structured using the cronyism that exists in this city.

If they're willing to nearly derail the College World Series, you can only imagine what they'll do when it comes to other negotiations.

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000