Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  8:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've listened to another Tim Miles radio show this week, and am completely convinced that he should take that borish, rude-ass Pelini and teach him a thing about interacting with the fans AND media.
Listening to Miles is a breath of fresh air, with his wit, and down home style.

I used to be the type that tuned in every night in my garage when anything Husker football was on. But haven't listened to that idiot running the program now for years. I'm tired of the way he treats the media, and how many times would I want to hear the same old - "they'll be physical" "they're well coached" "he's a good football player", blah-blah-blah-blah.

Miles cracks me up, and has an uncanny way with the fans and press. I have been to just one game, and before Biggs got the boot, they were sometimes very tough to watch, but lately it is a real treat. Glad I can watch all the games, and it really makes that time period between the horrific football blowout losses,, and the baseball season cruise along.

I may not be the biggest BB fan in the state, but I will tell you I am a huge Tim Miles fan. The guy is the best !

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  8:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He also Tweets during halftime. Very cool guy.
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  10:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bo drops F bombs during halftime. Neanderthal.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  06:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dropped my NU football season tickets and Husker license plate this offseason FWIW. I'll still support the program, but I can't support Bo Pelini and can't sink my money into supporting a school that gives him extensions. My feelings on this will not change if he wins a conference championship this year either.

Miles is great. He's everything that BoBo isn't. I like him. I hope NU can lock him up for a while.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  12:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it's OK if Miles swears during press conferences, but not if Pelini does it.

Got it.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  1:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, I never heard anything about Tim Miles' great persona until Nebraska started winning some games in the 2nd half of the season.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  5:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it'll be different when Miles gets secretly taped telling the the fanbase to F off and how they can kiss his bleep on the way out the door.

...and, I remember hearing about Miles persona even last season.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2014 :  2:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

So it's OK if Miles swears during press conferences, but not if Pelini does it.

Got it.

He also dropped some S bombs at the officials at the the end of the first half against Wisconsin. You could also seem him losing it and getting restrained by fellow coaches and players yesterday.

Don't get me wrong I love Coach Miles but I definitely agree with Mike on this.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2014 :  2:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every coach swears, I'm guessing. Maybe not all but come on. There's more to a coach than a couple swear words.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2014 :  2:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree. Very few don't.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2014 :  2:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Well, it'll be different when Miles gets secretly taped telling the the fanbase to F off and how they can kiss his bleep on the way out the door.

...and, I remember hearing about Miles persona even last season.

It would be interesting to see what we'd learn about everyone if they were secretly taped.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  12:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*secretly taped as in taped in a media room full of microphones in a university facility.

If you say stupid things basically in public, you get what you deserve, but no one has ever accused BoBo The Clown of being the sharpest crayon in the box.

The day Miles is making a national laughingstock of the state and his program because of his boorish behavior or coming within half an inch of assaulting a referee by smacking him with his hat, we can make that comparison, until then, Pelini is in a league all his own.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  10:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really? This just happened, guys:

quote:
Nebraska coach Tim Miles exploded off the bench because of the no-call and because the officials didn't stop the game to check on Parker until after Ohio State had brought the ball the length of the court.

Miles screamed at official Mike Sanzere, and at one point Husker co-captain Shavon Shields grabbed his coach with two arms from behind and spun him away.

Miles continued with a stream of naughty words audible at courtside, but never drew a technical, indicating the officials knew they blew the call.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140314/HUSKERS/140319034

So Miles had to be restrained by one of his players from going after the officials, all the while swearing like a sailor.

Why is this even an issue? Simple, it's like the attendance issue. Bo Pelini's teams have underperformed to the high expectations for Nebraska football. Tim Miles' team has exceeded any sane expectation this season for basketball.

Miles does use Twitter occasionally. But he doesn't personally tweet at halftime; an SID does it for him.

Meanwhile, Pelini tweets in the middle of the BCS title game and half of the national media forgets there is a game going on.

Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  06:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did Bo ever get his cat back?

---
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? This just happened, guys:

quote:
Nebraska coach Tim Miles exploded off the bench because of the no-call and because the officials didn't stop the game to check on Parker until after Ohio State had brought the ball the length of the court.

Miles screamed at official Mike Sanzere, and at one point Husker co-captain Shavon Shields grabbed his coach with two arms from behind and spun him away.

Miles continued with a stream of naughty words audible at courtside, but never drew a technical, indicating the officials knew they blew the call.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140314/HUSKERS/140319034

So Miles had to be restrained by one of his players from going after the officials, all the while swearing like a sailor.

Why is this even an issue? Simple, it's like the attendance issue. Bo Pelini's teams have underperformed to the high expectations for Nebraska football. Tim Miles' team has exceeded any sane expectation this season for basketball.

Miles does use Twitter occasionally. But he doesn't personally tweet at halftime; an SID does it for him.

Meanwhile, Pelini tweets in the middle of the BCS title game and half of the national media forgets there is a game going on.

One of these things is still not like the other ones.

I have no real problem with a coach cursing at an official. It happens at all levels. I'm not even that worried about a coach getting in an officials face. Having to have your player restrain you is no different than what happens to several managers a week in Major League Baseball.

We can discuss this futher when Miles...

1. Goes Lee Elia on the fanbase and tells them to F off.
2. comes within a centimeter of striking an official
3. Begs his employers to fire him in a post game press conference.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  07:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of these things is still not like the other ones.

I have no real problem with a coach cursing at an official. It happens at all levels. I'm not even that worried about a coach getting in an officials face. Having to have your player restrain you is no different than what happens to several managers a week in Major League Baseball.

We can discuss this futher when Miles...

1. Goes Lee Elia on the fanbase and tells them to F off.
2. comes within a centimeter of striking an official
3. Begs his employers to fire him in a post game press conference.

Lee Elia? There's a huge difference between saying things in a press conference versus saying things in your private office. And let's remember the circumstances: he had just left a press conference after an emotional comeback victory, and had just been provoked by a World-Herald reporter on a vendetta. Did use inappropriate language in private? Yep. But it wasn't a public forum. It became public because some yahoo made it public. But here's the thing with criticizing the fans who left early that night... I criticized them as well when it happened.

I consider Miles needing to be physically restrained to be worse than Pelini's hat swipe. Who knows what Miles would have done if Shields hadn't intervened.

And Pelini didn't beg for his bosses to fire him. That's mangling his words.
quote:
"If they want to fire me, go ahead. I believe in what I have done and I don't apologize for anything I have done."

He's not asking to be fired...he's saying he wasn't going to beg to keep this job.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Lee Elia? There's a huge difference between saying things in a press conference versus saying things in your private office.

This statement is totally false. The recording wasn't made in his private office. It was made in a media area where they regularly record Pelini's postgame press conference. He had some expectation of privacy because he thought he was around friends and trusted colleagues; however, that only goes so far. whenever you're not in a private office, rest room, your car, or your house, you really shouldn't have a complete expectation of privacy when you're a public figure. You never know when a microphone may be on.

Lee Elia was hyperbole, but it certainly wasn't his office either. It's revisionist history to call where that tape was recorded "his office."

and how many coaches in the history of pro or college sports have had something like this come out? You've got to be smart enough to know that you don't pop off in a room with microphones. Period. That's a broadcasting or media relations 101 class. Of course, composure and intelligence aren't really attributes Pelini typically exemplifies, so, yeah. I can see how it happened. You have to be smarter than that, and he isn't.

Even if other coaches have put themselves in positions like that where something could have been reported, maybe they had enough cache with the local media and the people he worked with where it would have never come out. Again, Pelini has burned enough bridges where he may have made the wrong person just mad enough....and this is what you get.

No sympathy. The dude is an embarrassment to the state. I will not donate to UNL while he's still the coach. I may still go to games, but I cannot support him. It's secondary market for tickets going forward for me.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...but, the bottom line on this can be summed up in the title of this thread

NU BB coach to tutor NU Fb coach on P.Relations

Even if Miles was behaving the exact same way as BoBo (and I don't think it's in the same league), it's not perceived that way because all he has to do flash that smile and give an awww shucks press conference and no one will blame him.

Pelini on the other hand, is gruff, arrogant, disrespectful, and always looks like he simultaneously is sucking on a lemon after learning that his dog just got run over.

There are ways to go about things. Miles knows how to play the game. With Pelini? It's always one step forward, one step backwards even after 6 seasons. Bobo could take some lessons from Miles.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  12:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...but, the bottom line on this can be summed up in the title of this thread

NU BB coach to tutor NU Fb coach on P.Relations

Even if Miles was behaving the exact same way as BoBo (and I don't think it's in the same league), it's not perceived that way because all he has to do flash that smile and give an awww shucks press conference and no one will blame him.

Pelini on the other hand, is gruff, arrogant, disrespectful, and always looks like he simultaneously is sucking on a lemon after learning that his dog just got run over.

There are ways to go about things. Miles knows how to play the game. With Pelini? It's always one step forward, one step backwards even after 6 seasons. Bobo could take some lessons from Miles.

Bo would make it easier if he put on the PR show. I'll be honest, I don't care. It's the actions versus words that matter to me. He took an already high graduation rate and brought it higher. His kids have got into less off the field troubles than any other that I can remember since the program started winning. They conduct themselves well off the field. They are active in the community. It did not start or end with Team Jack.

Even the players no longer in the program speak very highly of him. He clearly has their back and makes sure each and every player knows they have choices good or bad. If they make the bad one, they face the consequences.

I am very comfortable with the program as it's being run right now.

Thought Greg Doyle of CBS did a very good assessment on Bo and the program.

I know others really want the warm and fuzzy stuff and a better "image." For me I've seen a positive image too often proved to be false.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you that still don't get it...

quote:
Can I get fined if I comment about basketball officiating?

https://twitter.com/BoPelini/statuses/447060643967823872

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  1:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Miles officially went to Pelini levels today. Both have now managed to embarrass Nebraska athletics....so, there's that. pitiful. children.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  1:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Miles gets ejected in the second half of the NCAA tournament game...

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think Miles officially went to Pelini levels today. Both have now managed to embarrass Nebraska athletics....so, there's that. pitiful. children.

No. Miles got ejected for pointing out that the officials failed to start the shot clock...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  1:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, had he not been acting like a child the entire game, it might not have happened.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Miles had been warned earlier in the game. He was in the right about the shot clock, but bottom line, he put himself in that position.

You can make excuses for him all you want, but how many other head coaches do you think will be ejected in this tournament?

I'll set the over/under at zero.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  3:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess you better sell your Nebraska basketball tickets and bumper stickers too..lol, Husker fans are the most fickle bunch I've ever encountered.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have Nebrasketball tickets...so, there's that. It doesn't affect me one way or another.

I would like to see the states highest paid employees represent the state with class, However. I think there's hope for Miles. He's in year 2. Hopefully, this is a lesson for him.

I have no hope for Pelini.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  11:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just think it's laughable that people put coaches up on a pedestal as perfect human beings who never get angry and never cuss. And then when reality sets in, they are ready to throw them under the bus. Pelini and Miles aren't any different than 90% of other major college coaches out there. I remember Dave Van Horn getting ejected from an NCAA regional for arguing balls and strikes when he was still coaching at Nebraska. Even John Cook has been "reprimanded" for complaining about officiating.

The official that ejected Miles has quite the reputation for being a smurfing idiot - http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2013/1/2/3827448/fire-this-moron-karl-hess-edition

Not every coach is Tom Osborne.

Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  02:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, nouse, did you hurt yourself doing that 180?

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sure Miles had been warned earlier in the game. He was in the right about the shot clock, but bottom line, he put himself in that position.

You can make excuses for him all you want, but how many other head coaches do you think will be ejected in this tournament?

I'll set the over/under at zero.

Miles is not the only one that had problems with this ref. I'll post an article that Grantland did on him last year. Also this is the ONLY time Miles has ever been ejected in his career. I think that gives him benefit of the doubt. Article:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-50-best-tweets-about-king-karl-hess-the-notorious-r-e-f/

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BIGHUSKERMAV

I just think it's laughable that people put coaches up on a pedestal as perfect human beings who never get angry and never cuss.

So there's that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000