What Is Going On At The Ralston Arena
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  6:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the facility's second general manager in less than two years is out the door? What's the real story of the turmoil at the Ralston Arena?

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  08:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can tell you what I have heard. It is a combination of personality and financial problems First, their HVAC system is inadequate. They did not design a system that is capable of going from hockey to basketball and then back to hockey. Anyone play there notice how soft the ice is? It cannot adjust to large temperature swings quick enough. Second, they did not budget for the cost of change overs from one flooring surface to another. Third problem is the mayor and certain other individuals in city hall have their hand in everything. It makes it tough to run a building when you have people with no arena experience making the decisions. Overall I think the biggest problem that they have is that their largest tenant pays them nothing. Concession revenue is not enough when you provide them with office space, ice etc. They had this idea that it would be multi-use but I dont think they do anything well because they had to compromise so much in design because of the amount of money that had to work with. After UNO gets built I can see Ralston becoming further strained finacially to the point where they may abandon ice completely and continue to host not ice related events. I can see the Lancers moving to UNO at some point. Now I am talking like 5-10 years down the road but I can see it happening.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can see Ralston becoming further strained finacially to the point where they may abandon ice completely and continue to host not ice related events.

In other words, it's Mid-America Center West.

And frankly, this should be a cautionary tale for UNO but I fear that UNO has already passed the point of no return on the Chili Greens project.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UNO has more going for it. Built in tenants and the ability to charge student fees etc. Plus based upon the renderings I have seen it is going to be a pretty cool looking building.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  05:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think UNO's building will be built correctly, I just feel that they are mistaken in some of their plans for the future use and growth of their sports by capping attendance at current levels and charging a ton of money.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  3:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of crazy but I like the ice at Ralston. Even the main sheet is far superior to tranquility. I think the best is at Hitchcock. I have not seen where they've had real issues there. Even last year where they had the pipe deal (you could see it through the ice) it was better than most. Not near as bad as what was going on at the Clink near the end of the year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  10:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most would disagree with you on ralstons ice. Ever since tranq put a new chiller in their ice especially in the winter has been pretty hard. They have some humidity issues in the summer but most rinks have some trouble when it's 100 degrees and humid.
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  4:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralston arena is currently hiring a Zamboni driver. http://www.ralstonarena.com/arena-info/job-opportunities

More cowbell
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  10:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks kind of embarrassing too....they called off Bill Clinton's speech because they didn't think they had enough time to prepare for it. Huh? They announced it over a month ago...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140214/NEWS/140219185/1685#bill-clinton-s-ralston-arena-speech-called-off-but-could-be-rescheduled
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  11:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they did not want a repeat of the Bill O'Reilly deal. Had to give away tons of tickets and they had a boatload of time to prepare for that one. Not sure this is a great market for these kinds of events.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  11:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceguy

I think most would disagree with you on ralstons ice. Ever since tranq put a new chiller in their ice especially in the winter has been pretty hard. They have some humidity issues in the summer but most rinks have some trouble when it's 100 degrees and humid.

There are still issues at Tranq. Notice on the ends how bad it is in the corners near the boards. We had issues there Tuesday night for the mites games.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  7:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the ice having some ruts? What specifically is wrong with the ends?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  5:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the puck goes into the corners it can almost stand straight up. Only rink in town that has this issue. The ice does not go flat to the boards, starts dropping in height.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  12:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stumbled accross Ralston's Sept. 2013 City audit online and according to it they lost $3.7 million the first year on the arena. They just issued another $1.2 million in bonds last Tuesday just to cover general cash flow.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  7:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like they will need a property tax hike and a restaurant tax to fund this boondoggle - http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/major-property-tax-hike-new-restaurant-tax-proposed-to-pay/article_91e02308-4b85-11e5-b648-dfd9b2b3c672.html
Go to Top of Page

KCMavsDad
Freshman Mav

225 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they want to raise the price of my nachos also...

"Drop the puck Morrison"
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy that they went to Omaha and asked the Mayor to close Motto.

Glad she said no.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  11:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Mayor has quite a strategy doesnt he. Try to get the competition closed and ask the State for more money.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  11:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, so desperate. Painful to watch. Assuming no one associated with this gets re-elected.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  1:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that Omaha is not dumb enough to bail out Ralston by annexing them. The last thing this city needs is more debt and more aging infrastructure to fix.

I bet the tax revenue from Menards is the only thing keeping that place afloat...lol.
Go to Top of Page

iceguy
Freshman Mav

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  3:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Yeah, so desperate. Painful to watch. Assuming no one associated with this gets re-elected.

Greg

Who would want to deal with this mess? They are so far in a hole I dont think anyone could come in and save them at this point. There is no easy answers when you are losing millions a year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000