Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  7:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Via @OWHMavs:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130918/MAVS/130918617/1685#price-tag-for-new-uno-arena-increases-by-11-6-million

Capacity is maxed out at 7500 because they switched from a single bowl design to a double bowl design.

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  7:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it interesting that they added a second tier of seats. That surprised me when we received the postcard.

Makes me wonder what the previous capacity was going to be.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  7:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, 7,500 is better than the 6,800 or 7,000 numbers that were floating around here. Sounds like it's capped forever at 7,500 though and I still think that's a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  7:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The improving economy has increased construction costs, which contributed to the increase in price, Owen said.

Oh-kayyyy....

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  8:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The new financing plan estimates the arena will generate $4 million more in private donations, $4 million more in facility revenue and $3.6 million in what it calls "cash funds" to make up the difference.

What was the rationale for increasing the estimates? Other than the fact that it might grease the wheels to get another $12 million from the Regents.

I think it is safe to assume that the arena will cost a minimum of $100 million when all is said and done. The $70 million price tag was too low from the start. It looks like the new design will eliminate SRO -standing room only- capacity. At this point, I wonder if any of the financial estimates hold any water. It seems like this is a design as you go prospect, and the initial cost estimates were just that.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  09:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/regents-approve-m-uno-arena/article_017fd472-d715-5465-a25e-68a2b63a1bf3.html

quote:
Regent Howard Hawks of Omaha said the addition of a $7 million contingency fund also led to the increased cost.

quote:
The design of the new arena has been revised to a split-bowl seating plan, which will allow the top bowl to be closed off during smaller events. It will offer student, club and suite seating.

Interesting that they have plans to "curtain" the upper bowl for smaller events.

The article again suggests size will be 7,500. Although, that number could include ushers, ticket takers...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that they would curtain off the upper bowl for women's volleyball, basketball, and likely even men's basketball. None of those teams currently come close to drawing even half of the 7,500 capacity number. That makes sense to me. I had worried about how moving to such a large facility would hurt the other teams. As a ticket holder for the men's basketball team, I'd even say I prefer them playing at Ralston over this, but know that wouldn't be possible. Curtaining off the upper bowl would help, at least a little, in keeping the venue a bit more intimate.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  11:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points, nouse.

I'll be interested to see who they get to manage the facility...will they go with an outside entity, or operate it in house?
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  1:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think to manage the facility you would want an outside operator. Universities have enough to handle as it is, especially with how bad UNO is at just managing PR and ticket sales, I would worry about them operating a mid-size arena. There's a lot that goes into that. They would either have to make a ton of hires, or just hire someone else as the operator (companies like MECA, Comcast-Spectacor, AEG, Global Spectrum, etc, companies whose sole job it is to manage facilities). Even hiring someone to run your arena, you still control the money as the owner.

I'm not saying they couldn't handle it, and a lot of schools do take care of it themselves, but I don't know that UNO has everything in place to take that on. Who knows though.

I thought I remember the initial reports saying they would like an outside operator, but back then, there was also another owner that they would be renting from $2Million a year.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  3:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sincerely hope they have outside entities lined up for every facet of this including construction and eventual management. I mean, we're talking about a school that's a week away from blowing through a 2nd expected opening date on a simple soccer field resurfacing without so much as an update on the schedule in over a month and a half outside of confirming the field (again) won't be done on time by changing the venue on their online schedule. If they can't manage to finish a resurfacing project on time (twice), what hope do they have of constructing and then managing an arena in an efficient manner?

Of course, when you hire outside entities, they start eating into the revenue pie themselves. Yes, you still own the building, and have more leverage on the outside management firm in terms of what you can and can't do in the building, event dates, etc. but more mouths to feed is ultimately more mouths to feed.

In a perfect world, it would make sense for UNO to manage it themselves, but based on their track record, I just don't know if I see it being a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1487 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  09:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2010 Mavpuck: We need a new arena

<Arena announced>

2013 Mavpuck: There is no way we can do a new arena correctly

---------------
The only certainty in life is that life itself is uncertain
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  11:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Man Jose

<Arena announced>

---------------

That seems to be a bit of an oversimplification of the issue here. The devil is certainly in the details.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Of course, when you hire outside entities, they start eating into the revenue pie themselves. Yes, you still own the building, and have more leverage on the outside management firm in terms of what you can and can't do in the building, event dates, etc. but more mouths to feed is ultimately more mouths to feed.

In a perfect world, it would make sense for UNO to manage it themselves, but based on their track record, I just don't know if I see it being a good thing.

But you're hiring people either way. No matter what, there has to be an arena manager, events manager, event staff, video crew, maintenance ops, etc. I just think leaving all that up to another entity is the right call. Yes, they will eat into the pie just a little, but I think in the long run, it will also make the pie bigger.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent Howard Hawks, my regent, an e-mail describing my concerns about the new UNO arena, and he suggested I go to the event on Thursday evening.

quote:
You should go to the September 26 event at the Scott Conference Center (between 5:30 and 7 p.m.) where a lot of your concerns will be explained.

Well, I'm not sure I can attend...and more importantly, this is the first I've heard of it.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I sent Howard Hawks, my regent, an e-mail describing my concerns about the new UNO arena, and he suggested I go to the event on Thursday evening.

quote:
You should go to the September 26 event at the Scott Conference Center (between 5:30 and 7 p.m.) where a lot of your concerns will be explained.

Well, I'm not sure I can attend...and more importantly, this is the first I've heard of it.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Same here...hadn't heard about this.

There is an old adage that states: "In the absence of information, there is speculation."

That's kind of what we're dealing with here. Here we sit, two years from the arena opening, and all I have heard about the arena (aside from the slim pickings in the OWH) has been gained through second-hand accounts from people who have supposedly been to "private events/meetings" where the arena has been discussed in greater detail.

As a season ticket holder, I would be interested in having additional details so I could plan accordingly the next two seasons. For example, if the "points system" has dramatically changed from what was initially outlined three years ago, that would be good to know.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  4:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is this event on Sept. 26? I haven't heard anything about it either...
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  5:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just posted about yet another in the now endless cycle of delays for the UNO soccer Caniglia Field renovation.

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9312&whichpage=2

Without rehashing what I posted over there, I'll just say that post in the other sports forum sums up completely why I don't think UNO can be trusted to build an arena, on time and within budget and then manage such a facility with any degree of competence.

The total train wreck that a somewhat simple by comparison resurfacing project has become, gives me no confidence in UNO athletics to build an arena whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  11:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

quote:

<Arena announced>

---------------

That seems to be a bit of an oversimplification of the issue here. The devil is certainly in the details.

That's still funny.
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

<Arena announced>

---------------

Pretty much, Jose.

I'll admit that I was more excited back when we heard the facility was going to be privately funded, and that the university would get favorable lease terms as a result.

About $45 million is being publicly financed. The university system is backing those bonds. The cost increased $12 million without a single ounce of concrete being poured.

The other $33 million is coming from private donors, but let's not forget that donors will also be called upon to help pay down the annual debt on the bonds, and be necessary for UNO to meet the projected operating expenses each year.

It is possible a half dozen donors are waiting in a closet somewhere to lay down millions to defray the costs of construction. If so, that would be welcome news.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000