MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NCHC release:
http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/271491?referrer_id=779051

UNO has ONE televised game, and it's not even in conference play:
Friday, Nov. 15 when Michigan visits UNO.

North Dakota has six games, Miami has five. Four games each for Colorado College, Western Michigan, and St. Cloud State. Duluth and Denver each have two. We have one.

quote:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The National Collegiate Hockey Conference drops the puck for its inaugural season of competition in 2013-14 with a slate of 18 games to be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network. The schedule features 15 regular season conference games, as well as the NCHC Conference Semifinals and Championship.

“We are excited about our partnership with CBS Sports Network. The NCHC is committed to showcasing our conference nationally and the relationship with CBS Sports Network helps us accomplish this goal,” said NCHC Commissioner, Josh Fenton.

“We are proud to be the NCHC’s national television partner and are looking forward to an exciting inaugural season, showcasing some of the best college hockey in the country,” said Dan Weinberg, Senior Vice President, Programming, CBS Sports Network.

The CBS Sports Network schedule kicks off with the first ever NCHC conference games with a double-header on Friday, Oct. 18th when North Dakota visits Miami, followed by Minnesota Duluth at Colorado College – puck drop times are to be determined.

The NCHC includes member institutions Colorado College, Denver, Miami, Minnesota Duluth, Nebraska Omaha, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, and Western Michigan.

CBS Sports Network is the 24-hour home of CBS Sports and is available across the country through local cable, video and telco providers and via satellite on DirecTV Channel 613 and Dish Network Channel 158. For more information, and to access the CBS Sports Network channel finder, go to www.cbssportsnetwork.com.

I would love to see some of UNO's road games covered in the CONFERENCE hockey TV package!

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  12:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Total games featuring North Dakota, Miami, Michigan: 10
Total games not featuring North Dakota, Miami, Michigan: 5

Interesting...

But I don't think it's outrageous really... Consider the accomplishments of each program and the games they got.
6 - North Dakota - 11 straight NCAA appearances (I think), 2 recent Frozen Fours
5 - Miami - 8 straight NCAA appearances, 2 Frozen Fours
4 - St. Cloud State - 4 of last 7 NCAAs, Frozen Four last year and WCHA regular season champs
4 - Colorado College - Only 2 NCAAs in last 7 years
4 - Western Michigan - 2 of last 3 NCAAs
2 - Denver - 5 of last 6 NCAAs, 2 titles in the 2000s
2 - Minnesota Duluth - 3 of 5 last NCAAs, 2011 Champs
1 - Omaha - 1 NCAA in last 7 years... no great regular season/tournament conference finishes in that stretch.

I mean let's be honest... Omaha is the... Northwestern football of this conference? Middle of the pack, never really done anything much... does Northwestern get a lot of prime TV games? Nope... even if they wanted equal coverage they won't get it because the people picking games are picking based on who the teams are.
Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Sec108R1S1
Freshman Mav

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  1:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HK, what you said is true, but how do programs like UNO get the exposure the other schools have without television? Maybe it is CBS Sports that picked the games, but the conference in terms of equality to all institutions should have had some input. What would have been wrong with Miami/ UNO on Jan 17th? Or UMD/UNO on Mar 7th? Guess we'll just have to win the NCHC tournament to get our TV time!

Go Mavs!!!
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  4:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys forget how much we have been featured on NBC Sports Network for their college games? Don't be surprised if NBSN picks up some UNO games.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  9:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NBCSN won't be able to televise any UNO home games or NCHC road games.

quote:
During the early days, while then NCHC was forming;, the conference leadership and CBS Sports Network signed an exclusive national television deal. This exclusive deal killed any other national television arrangements that NCHC teams had in place at the time. For whatever reason, the other teams in the NCHC wanted this arrangement. Most UND hockey fans I have talked to, think they’re taking a step back by joining the National Collegiate Hockey Conference–they flat out hate this television deal.

Breaking it down further, the exclusivity deal means that the NCHC is guaranteed to show 18 games on the CBS Sports Network. So, basically, UND fans go from having about 15-20 home games, including the first round of the playoffs shown nationally on Fox College Sports, to having six games out of the 18 conference games shown nationally. You can see where this television deal is going.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ncaa-hockey-current-nchc-television-deal-is-unacceptable/

From our old friend NDGoon...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Vernon_J
New Recruit

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  10:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UND 6 21.43%
MoOH 5 17.86%
UMD 2 7.14%
CC 4 14.29%
WMU 4 14.29%
UNO 1 3.57%
SCSU 4 14.29%
DU 2 7.14%
*math fixed*

Vernon J

http://Vernon-J.com

Thanks for reading my posts.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  11:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vernon_J

UND 6 21.43%
MoOH 5 17.86%
UMD 2 7.14%
CC 4 14.29%
WMU 4 14.29%
UNO 1 3.57%
SCSU 4 14.29%
DU 2 7.14%
*math fixed*

Vernon J

http://Vernon-J.com

Thanks for reading my posts.

Very true.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  10:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They signed an exclusive deal that only airs the entire conference once a week? Super smart guys....
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  10:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main reason for the hasty formation of the NCHC (in my mind) was the nugget that is Notre Dame. I truly believe they thought the Domers would join up.

I like the composition of the conference, but it lacks national TV allure.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes. I didn't realize before reading that article that it was an exclusive deal. Wow.

Our only hope then is that some of our nonconference road games get picked up by NBC Sports Network. But that looks doubtful. UNO vs. Northern Michigan in October? Probably not. UNO vs. New Hampshire in early January. Probably not either.

Good job, NCHC. Not.

quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

hermit
New Recruit

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  11:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavBridget

Yikes. I didn't realize before reading that article that it was an exclusive deal. Wow.

Our only hope then is that some of our nonconference road games get picked up by NBC Sports Network. But that looks doubtful. UNO vs. Northern Michigan in October? Probably not. UNO vs. New Hampshire in early January. Probably not either.

Good job, NCHC. Not. Your one and only hope of a road game tv coverage is against NH. Then if NESN shows it. For Maverick fans it does suck that you only get one game. But in reality UND fans have it worse. We had almost every home game broadcast on FoxCollegeSports for the last few years that could be viewed anywhere in the country. Now we will have to watch on an internet stream.

quote:

UNO has the best hockey coaching staff
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  11:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dang. not good.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I'm not sure what the heck CBS is doing with the old CSTV. Fox and NBC are investing in programming for their cable networks while CBS is content to broadcast Arena Football and rodeo.

The NCHC deal might make some sense if the deal were for 50+ games, with 2-3 games each weekend. No reason that you couldn't do occasional doubleheaders with Miami or Western Michigan hosting early games, followed by a game at Denver or Colorado College. Totally understandable that Saturday broadcasts wouldn't begin until December due to football, but one game, period, a week? C'mon.

I suspect North Dakota fans won't be quite as bad off, though. I think local television rights will still be available, so the games will still be on TV locally. They'll probably just have to stream them over the internet for their fans across the country, and considering how few homes actually get FCS, this might actually be better for some.

Unfortunately, nobody around here would appear to be interested in obtaining local rights, other than NET. (And NET refuses to travel outside the state for broadcasts.) Though I do see a flicker of hope now that KMTV lost the rights to Creighton games to Fox. Maybe they'd be interested in using their VHS camcorders to televise some hockey games on the road.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  11:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post hermit. Not sure what is had to do with anything, namely Bridget's post, but whatever.

WestO, NET refuses to travel outside the state for broadcasts? Hell, they barely do IN state broadcasts!
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  3:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

WestO, NET refuses to travel outside the state for broadcasts? Hell, they barely do IN state broadcasts!

I could be wrong here, but I don't know that public television has quite the budget as other stations
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7923 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  5:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am indifferent to whether or not home games are on TV... you see, I have season tickets -- so I will be at the games, unless some unforeseen circumstance prevents me from being there.

I wouldn't mind seeing road games on TV... I grew up a Blackhawks fan -- that was all we could see growing up.

I think we forget how spoiled we are in this day and age. Here's something to consider -- UNO should hire a play-by-play man who can illustrate what is happening with a cunning use of words, and we all let our imaginations run wild with the descriptions.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  7:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pants, I was more poking fun at how few home games they even do.

SAM, you know I have season tickets too. But sometimes it just doesn't work out, so it's nice to have some home games on tv.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7923 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't get to a home game... listen on the radio. No big deal -- listening to Blackhawks games on the radio is how I became a fan of Pat Foley.

I'm sure others have similar experiences -- you know, the rather large contingent of fans here who miss Greg Harrington.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rather watch than listen.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7923 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lazy.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  11:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not as lazy as some parking their ass in front of the net and calling themselves good.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7923 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not as lazy as some parking their ass in front of the net and calling themselves good.

Phil Esposito parked his ass in front of the net -- got him to the Hall of Fame.

Or are you talking goaltending?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  11:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As would I. Would be nice to have a bunch of the away games on TV. I also DVR the home games that I attend.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7923 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:

As would I. Would be nice to have a bunch of the away games on TV. I also DVR the home games that I attend.

Either you're in love with yourself, hoping to see yourself on TV... or you watch 'Titanic' hoping the boat makes it.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  2:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, UNO hockey is like the Titanic to you? A sinking ship? That seems to be the implication you're making. I know they've had a couple straight tough 2nd halves, but you're tough. Ouch! (joking)

Seriously though, I get it. Sometimes I go to games and if I know it's on tv, I'll tape it to get another view of the goals and highlights when I get home. I don't watch the whole game, but I'll fast forward through it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  3:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SecretAgentMav

quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:

Either you're in love with yourself, hoping to see yourself on TV... or you watch 'Titanic' hoping the boat makes it.

Nope not close enough to the ice to be on TV. I usually have one or both of my boys at the games. I can usually see things on TV that I possibly missed in person. I do the same thing with Husker football.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7923 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  10:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

So, UNO hockey is like the Titanic to you? A sinking ship?

Well, they seemed to have hit the iceberg in January of each of the last two seasons...

Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  10:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Entire season: http://www.uscho.com/tv/
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  2:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...what's this "exclusive" crap? Is that only for national television, because plenty of other NCHC teams have multiple games on TV that are not CBS Sports. Why doesn't UNO try to work with NET to get more games on TV? Grow the fanbase around the city and Lincoln, CB and such.

Oh wait, it's because when we build the arena we won't have room for more fans. NVM :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000