Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  9:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, UNO back in the conference realignment discussion? UMKC is leaving the Summit League for the WAC next year. And, as the article suggests, several other Summit schools may be soon to defect next...

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/07/4054339/umkc-to-join-western-athletic.html

quote:
Speculation persists that several Summit schools could soon be on the move, including more to the WAC. The Missouri Valley and Horizon conferences may also become destinations for Summit schools.

quote:
Aside from the Valley’s potential loss of Creighton, Evansville is rumored to an expansion target of the Horizon League. That could open two spots in the Missouri Valley for North Dakota State and South Dakota State from the Summit. The Dakota schools already compete in the Missouri Valley in football.

Also thought to be on the Horizon’s radar is Oakland and perhaps IUPUI, both from the Summit.

Other potential WAC candidates are Omaha of the Summit and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.

Not sure how I feel about this. The Summit League feels like a really good fit. Travel costs are low in the Summit with UNO having relatively easy trips to South Dakota, SDSU, NDSU, Western Illinois, and UMKC. There was also something comforting about UNO renewing the rivalries with SDSU, USD, and NDSU from the NCC days. The addition of Denver to the Summit created a connection with the NCC and a potential rivalry with that school in all sports. Also very interesting that Denver just bolted the WAC in favor of the Summit only to maybe see several Summit teams leave to go to the WAC. Crazy.

On paper, the WAC SOUNDS like an upgrade, but the league is a shell of what it once was. If this happens, UNO will be playing teams like Cal St. Bakersfield, Grand Canyon (AZ), Seattle, Texas Pan Am, and Utah Valley. Count on travel costs to skyrocket if UNO ends up in this league of geographically far flung mediocre sports schools.

I guess, if nothing else, it is good that there is talk of UNO having a place at the table. I shudder to think what would happen if UNO didn't get a WAC invite in the event of a total Summit League implosion. Would they go independent? Would they have to drop back down to D-II? If it's WAC or bust, I'll take the WAC, but I certainly won't consider it a victory or an upgrade.

If only the Valley valued the Omaha market enough to take UNO in the event of a Creighton defection. That would be the best fit, but UNO certainly isn't ready to compete on that level athletically yet.

No really great answer for UNO in this scenario.

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  9:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, meant to post this in "Other Sports," but I just realized, I put it in the hockey forum on accident. This is possibly a pretty big overall UNO story that could affect the athletic department at every level, but if you'd like it in Other Sports, feel free to move it there.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think (or would sure like to think) that the WAC is only an option of the Summit League blows up...

Which is only happening if the Catholic raiding is so bad that the Summit loses the Dakotas and the Eastern Half.

Which really might not be THAT unrealistic unfortunately.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1200334-part-1-of-my-interview-with-du_mhoops-du_pioneers-athletic-director-peg-bradley-doppes#t=0m1s

This interview with Denver's AD is pretty interesting.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellenistic Kshatriya

I think (or would sure like to think) that the WAC is only an option of the Summit League blows up...

Which is only happening if the Catholic raiding is so bad that the Summit loses the Dakotas and the Eastern Half.

Which really might not be THAT unrealistic unfortunately.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1200334-part-1-of-my-interview-with-du_mhoops-du_pioneers-athletic-director-peg-bradley-doppes#t=0m1s

This interview with Denver's AD is pretty interesting.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.

I'd like to hope the same thing. The discussions I've read on this on message boards of Summit League teams seem to think that the UMKC thing means one of 2 things...

1. UMKC is lead by a bunch of idiots who somehow think that joining a diluted league with a little bit of name recognition will somehow help their sinking program

2. They know that the bleep is about to hit the fan, and as a lower level school even by Summit standards, they might be on the outside looking in if they don't jump at the WAC offer.

As for UNO, the level of competition would be a little worse in the WAC, but losing the regional rivalries hurts. I just think the travel costs have the potential to really do a number on an athletic department that was making strides in the right direction.

We'll see. It's all rumors now, but there's some smoke to this. More smoke than I'd like to see.

The only positive that could come out of a move to the WAC is the WAC is more committed to baseball than the Summit with every WAC school outside of UMKC fielding the sport (best I could tell).

The interview with the Denver AD was pretty interesting. I'm really hoping the Creighton stuff will shake out soon and the Horizon stuff will settle down, so we can at least get a better idea of where UNO stands. I just don't want to see them lose all of these regional conference partners.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is amazing how quickly D-I leagues implode these days as the result of a couple teams defecting.

I have a feeling UNO will shop itself around to other conferences when their "initiation" period ends in a few years (assuming it doesn't happen sooner due to attrition).

Were Creighton to join the Catholic conference, UNO would actually be a fairly attractive choice for the Mo Valley (this is a pretty significant market within that conference). It sounds weird, but stranger things have happened.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think UNO could compete in the MVC too. I've been really impressed at their acclimation to the Summit League over the last two years. I know it's another step up but you can get another level of recruit too. The problem is $$ and I'm not sure how Omaha could spend much more considering they want to cap what they take from fees/the state.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  12:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

It is amazing how quickly D-I leagues implode these days as the result of a couple teams defecting.

I have a feeling UNO will shop itself around to other conferences when their "probationary" period ends in a few years (assuming it doesn't happen sooner due to attrition).

Were Creighton to join the Catholic conference, UNO would actually be a fairly attractive choice for the Mo Valley (this is a pretty significant market within that conference). It sounds weird, but stranger things have happened.

I thought that way too. Some of the discussions I've read seem to indicate that the MVC might look at the 3 Dakota schools in the Summit League.

Those schools are better athletically than UNO at this point, but one would also think that the MVC might not want to lose the Omaha market when it comes time to re-negotiate with FSN. Omaha would be more valuable than the Dakota markets for sure.

It'll be interesting. The MVC has recently been very stable, but there are rumors of Creighton, Illinois St., Missouri St., and Evansville all at least looking at other conferences.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  01:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question is does keeping the market mater if the team isn't as big of a deal... not sure how much UNO means even in this market in terms of TV value.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  07:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is one rule to observe with college realignment, it's that it's "every school for themselves."

It's what drove Nebraska to the Big Ten, and has driven every other change. Each school looks at what's possible, and is seeking higher ground.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  08:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Summit League was only an entry to D1 for UNO. Not a destination. That's why when UNO was cutting/changing sports programs to supposedly match up with the Summit League I thought it was crazy. I don't think we'll even be in the league for 10 years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  09:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

The Summit League was only an entry to D1 for UNO. Not a destination. That's why when UNO was cutting/changing sports programs to supposedly match up with the Summit League I thought it was crazy. I don't think we'll even be in the league for 10 years.

Greg

+10000000

I was thinking of that last night right before I fell asleep. Obviously, no matter what they said, cutting football and wrestling was a pure economics move; however, Trev made some very public comments about wanting to align UNO's athletic offerings with the Summit League...

quote:
It was only in recent weeks, as the Summit discussions got serious, that Alberts and Christensen concluded that UNO would drop wrestling and add men's soccer and golf if the bid came. Otherwise, UNO would sponsor only three men's sports offered by the Summit: basketball, baseball and tennis.

“We wanted to compete in the same sports as our new conference rivals,'' Alberts said.

While there are several Summit members who wrestle and play football in other leagues, Alberts said UNO would not pursue those options.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110313/NEWS01/703139891

In the short term, as the financial report released by UNO to the OWH earlier in the year has shown, the move to D-I and the decision to cut wrestling and football appears to be a solid one from a financial aspect. UNO athletics is losing less money and in this economy that is obviously a good thing.

Still, if the Summit League completely implodes and UNO's only option is to go to the far flung WAC (or god forbid go independant in D-I), those same comments could easily come back to haunt the administration. The logic behind cutting sports to align yourself with a league that doesn't even exist anymore would certainly come under question. And, as I mentioned earlier, moving to a loosely aligned geographic nightmare of a league like the WAC would probably eat up any gains made in the athletic budget and put them nearly as far back into the red as they were in D-II while fielding football and wrestling.

I'm of the opinion that I hope the Summit holds together, in one form or another, including a strong grouping of midwestern schools for at least the next 10 years. That will give UNO time to get their facilities in order, their D-I recruiting on track, and raise their level of competition so they are attractive to better leagues than the wacky WAC.

This does have the potential of becoming a very interesting story for UNO, but not necessarily in a good way. Good outcomes of a Summit implosion feel like longshots. I can't see how UNO would be truly attractive to a league like the MVC while you still have multipule facilities issues within the program like baseball and softball competing on high school fields and competitive issues like the basketball team losing to upper 200 RPI teams on a regular basis. The MVC is an obvious long term destination for UNO, but in the abscence of the Summit League the WAC might be their only bet.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really getting tired of changing conference patches on my gear. Someone let me know when the roller coaster stops

---------------
The only certainty in life is that life itself is uncertain
Go to Top of Page

lou1970
New Recruit

36 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of now, there will be only 5 members sponsoring baseball, so no NCAA tournament for the conference champ.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lou1970

As of now, there will be only 5 members sponsoring baseball, so no NCAA tournament for the conference champ.

In the Summit League? Is there something I'm missing? They are not losing a baseball member in UMKC. They should still have 6 baseball schools unless there's something you know about but aren't telling us.

Fort Wayne
Omaha
North Dakota St
Oakland
South Dakota St
Western Illinois

Now, the rumor is that Oakland has one foot out the door to the Horizon League, but that has been talked about for almost 2 years and hasn't materialized. That would put them at 5.

They better get that figured out quickly if Oakland ever bolts because I don't think I could handle the loss of another one of the core athletic programs at UNO...especially not one that I've actively spent time and money on.
Go to Top of Page

UNOmaholic
Chaz in the Morning

New Zealand
1167 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's important to remember when discussing the Summit League as UNO's entry into DI that UNO is the first university that moved up per new NCAA rules that only allowed a change if an offer was made by an established league. UNO aligning its sports with the Summit League was necessary given that new rule.

"In the benign..."
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Greg

I get that sentiment and feeling, but other than the MVC is there a league UNO should really want to be joining?

Other potential conferences are...
Big Sky - Does have Northern Colorado and North Dakota, but 3rd closest school is probably Montana State... only 1,000 miles away.
MVC - Obviously a great fit but is the interest remotely mutual. Trev should be selling UNO to the MVC but as I mentioned earlier how do you pay for it?
OVC - Geographically a stretch with SIU-Edwarsville at 7 hours and SE Missouri State and Eastern Illinois the next closest schools at 8 hours. Why would this league have any interest when they could go after a Fort Wayne, IUPUI, or Western Illinois that's a much better fit geopgraphically?
Horizon - Closest schools are in Chicago with UIC and Loyola. It's really centered around Great Lakes and Omaha would be making a lot of long trips east.

So really there are only two good leagues for Omaha geographically. If Omaha could get into the MVC that'd be great but I think most of us would be surprised if that's doable anytime soon.

And if it isn't... the Summit League staying together for a good long time is a big deal or Omaha is going to be in a bad situation. The Summit League was a great league to start in because other than that one nothing else made sense for Omaha. The situation hasn't changed much...

The other possibility is a new-WAC that probably features two divisions and would have Omaha, KC, South Dakota, Denver?, Chicago State on the eastern side. It's not ideal but it's survivable I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by lou1970

If you are talking Summit I believe they have an exception for that. You can drop to six for two years automatically (2012-13 and 2013-14) and need an exception for the 3rd year (2014-15). They'd be back in good shape in 2015-16 with Omaha counting, but of course that's assuming they're all still together.

A spot like that though is where Oakland (potentially) leaving is a big deal. The Summit would have to replace them with another baseball playing school or they are down to 5 even with Omaha.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[If you are talking Summit I believe they have an exception for that. You can drop to six for two years automatically (2012-13 and 2013-14) and need an exception for the 3rd year (2014-15). They'd be back in good shape in 2015-16 with Omaha counting, but of course that's assuming they're all still together. A spot like that though is where Oakland (potentially) leaving is a big deal. The Summit would have to replace them with another baseball playing school or they are down to 5 even with Omaha.

Just making sure I understand, UNO doesn't count at this point as the 6th member (I'm guessing because they are still in their transition period) and for NCAA purposes, they only have 5 official baseball members at this point?

I always thought 6 was the number to keep your auto bid, and just assumed UNO was the #6 that they needed. Any info to the contrary would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  10:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Just making sure I understand, UNO doesn't count at this point as the 6th member (I'm guessing because they are still in their transition period) and for NCAA purposes, they only have 5 official baseball members at this point?

I always thought 6 was the number to keep your auto bid, and just assumed UNO was the #6 that they needed. Any info to the contrary would be appreciated.

Correct on UNO not counting right now, but like I mentioned you usually get two years to get back up to the right number and you can get an exemption for an extra year if it's a situation like this with Omaha transitioning. The Summit has been a league for a long time and I imagine the NCAA would want to keep things going okay. Now if you add two other transitioning schools and ask them to go 4-5 years without a full six... that's less acceptable.

I'm 99% sure it's six and not seven. It's seven in men's basketball I know but with the Summit sitting at six right now (with Omaha) you'd think we'd hear more about it being a problem if they needed to find a new school.

http://milehighmids.tumblr.com/post/36747704350/wac-numbers-game-update-utpa-on-line-1 is one place I've seen a lot of discussion about the minimum numbers and where I found out about the transition teams not counting and the waivers you can get.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the closest thing to a source I could find on that minimum being six and not seven for baseball... http://www.coachad.com/pages/Breaking-News---Oral-Roberts-Leaving-Summit-League-For-Southland.php

Also an idea if Oakland does leave for baseball would be Northern Colorado or North Dakota as affiliate members. Both are currently independent.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Correct on UNO not counting right now, but like I mentioned you usually get two years to get back up to the right number and you can get an exemption for an extra year if it's a situation like this with Omaha transitioning. The Summit has been a league for a long time and I imagine the NCAA would want to keep things going okay. Now if you add two other transitioning schools and ask them to go 4-5 years without a full six... that's less acceptable.

I'm 99% sure it's six and not seven. It's seven in men's basketball I know but with the Summit sitting at six right now (with Omaha) you'd think we'd hear more about it being a problem if they needed to find a new school.

http://milehighmids.tumblr.com/post/36747704350/wac-numbers-game-update-utpa-on-line-1 is one place I've seen a lot of discussion about the minimum numbers and where I found out about the transition teams not counting and the waivers you can get.

I'd always heard 6 was the minimum for baseball and got confused when people started mentioning the Summit only having 5 teams now. I hadn't heard that UNO wasn't officially counting as the 6th.

Really then, nothing changed with the loss of UMKC. They weren't a baseball member. the Summit must have gotten an exception previously or we would have heard it by now. This would have been an issue when Southern Utah and Oral Roberts left, not now.

And, outside of general conference stability, it doesn't affect UNO as they aren't eligible for NCAA's anyway.

If it was really an issue, there might have been a push to get an affiliate member like New Orleans.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's the closest thing to a source I could find on that minimum being six and not seven for baseball... http://www.coachad.com/pages/Breaking-News---Oral-Roberts-Leaving-Summit-League-For-Southland.php

Also an idea if Oakland does leave for baseball would be Northern Colorado or North Dakota as affiliate members. Both are currently independent.

I don't believe North Dakota and Northern Colorado are still independants. They are listed as members of the Great West in every source I could find including the Great West Conference website.

http://www.greatwestconference.org/sports/m-basebl/gwfc-m-basebl-body.html

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/12Articles/12Conferences.html

Actually, best I can tell, New Orleans is the only independent school for the 2013 season. Don't know if they'd consider the Summit as an affiliate member. Don't know anything about their situation.

Doesn't appear to leave many options for the Summit League.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good call. The information I saw was apparently from 2009... wow :(.

Well either way the Great West doesn't have an auto-bid so they might be receptive to the Summit still.

EDIT - And I did get confirmation from John Infante, NCAA Expert and a former compliance officer at NCAA Division I schools, that it is six for baseball :).

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always thought that UNC and UND were the 2 most logical teams for Summit League Expansion. Until UMKC left, they were really positioning themselves as a strong conference in the Midwest/Plains. Even if the Michigan/Indiana schools left, I thought they'd be fine with a core of UNO, SD, SDSU, NDSU, Denver, Western Illinois, and UMKC. Then if they added UND, UNC, with maybe Chicago St. if necessary, they would have cemented a tight geographic footprint. UMKC leaving and Chicago St. also going to the WAC puts all of that up in the air. It certainly limits the Summits options.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea and the other question with that is where UNC and UND's hearts are at. UND has loved to maintain that they want to be in the Big Sky and they think they fit better there. I've never totally bought it.. Most of those schools are in the mountain states/west coast, not in the Northern Plains. If I was UNC and UND and I think I'd rather be with the Summit but maybe some of that is where I associate them with from their NCC days.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UND and the Summit seem to have a strange history and, as with most issues concerning the University of North Dakota ,it comes down to their former team name. Back in 2010, there was talk of them possibly moving to the Summit, but reports at that time is the Summit wouldn't consider them unless they retired the Fighting Sioux nickname.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/23/university-of-north-dakot_n_622419.html

So, North Dakota moved to the Great West. What else could they say about their new conference while the Sioux issue was still being debated except that's where they really wanted to be?

I agree though, I don't buy that they really prefer to be in a geographically bad conference isolated from all of their traditional rivals. The Sioux issue wasn't resolved until mid 2012. I'm wondering if, at that time, the controversy surrounding the nickname soured relations with the Summit? Chatter I've read, kind of makes it sound like it did. I wonder if the relationship between the two leagues could be rekindled now because it would be mutually beneficial for both.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  12:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would make sense.

BTW to speak further about my concerns with the MVC... UNO's budget in 2011-12 was ~8.4 million. That was 8th in the Summit League ahead of the Indianas... and a lot of that is going towards hockey. In the MVC that's probably last and I've got every school spending about $1.5 million+ on basketball. Not sure a single Summit League school is spending that much.

It's a big step up in costs and I'm not sure you can expect revenues to rise much and certainly not enough to cover it. Omaha is one of the least subsidized teams in the Summit so if they keep that up you can't be going to a bigger league in terms of budgets than your revenues justify.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  12:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the budget would have to go up one way or another with a move to the WAC because the travel budgets would go up by a huge amount as you're shuttling baseball, tennis, volleyball, and soccer teams to places like Phoenix AZ, Bakersfield CA, Seattle WA, etc. So, the current cost model in the Summit wouldn't work in the WAC either. Over the course of a season, fielding over a dozen sports, you might be talking about a good chunk of change.

You're right about the MVC though. You've have to raise the budgets even further in the MVC. Not necessarily in terms of travel, but in terms of facilities, recruiting, etc. If I had choose how to spend the money, I'd rather spend it in competitive ways vs. sunk costs of travel in a league like the WAC.

My biggest worry about a move to the MVC is that they simply wouldn't be competitive for a long, long time. They aren't doing outstanding in the Summit, but they are competitive in most games, and are fun to watch. Moving to the Valley and getting blasted in every sport, would make it difficult to build up the fanbase for the programs outside of hockey. Greg said above that the Summit was never the destination. He's probably right long term, but I've always seen the Summit as the destination until UNO proved they could perform at a high enough level to justify moving beyond that league.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  10:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this interesting and with a potential impact on UNO athletics...

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1973937

Basically, if and when CU leaves for the Big East, Denver has a chance to get the nod for the MVC. The Summit League would be down to 8 after UMKC leaves for the WAC. Treading dangerously close to dropping below that 7 team minimum needed to keep the NCAA auto bid in basketball

...and thinking 2 steps ahead, if the A-10 loses teams to the Big East, they may backfill with teams from the MVC, thus maybe creating a scenario where the MVC backfills with additional Summit League teams and maybe pushing UNO to the WAC. ugh.
Go to Top of Page

goon
Sophomore Mav

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  11:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't believe North Dakota and Northern Colorado are still independants. They are listed as members of the Great West in every source I could find including the Great West Conference website.

http://www.greatwestconference.org/sports/m-basebl/gwfc-m-basebl-body.html

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/12Articles/12Conferences.html

Actually, best I can tell, New Orleans is the only independent school for the 2013 season. Don't know if they'd consider the Summit as an affiliate member. Don't know anything about their situation.

Doesn't appear to leave many options for the Summit League.

North Dakota is going to be in the WAC for Baseball next season.

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  12:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
weird. The Summit needs teams, would have been nice to have them in the Summit for baseball, but of course, NoDak has their complicated history with the Summit.

Also, saw online that Denver says even if offered they won't go to the MVC and are staying with the Summit. I don't believe that at face value. Teams typically don't turn down an opportunity to upgrade their standing. Maybe they are saying the right things, but when the chips are down, all bets are off.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  2:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denver doesn't want to change their program lineup much to make a move so that's one possible reason for not moving... who knows. Summit is putting on a show that everything is fine but I can't imagine it all is.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000