New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7864 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  9:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the n00bs in the room... here is the abridged version of the NMU-UNO Shenanigans...

June 24, 1998
Nebraska-Omaha is admitted to the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA), as the 12th league member.

October 13, 1999
Mavericks overcome a 3-1 deficit to tie Northern Michigan 4-4, securing the first CCHA points in team history.

March 9, 2000
Mavericks depart Omaha for Marquette, Michigan to face Northern Michigan in the first round of the CCHA playoffs. Bad weather forces the Mavericks to land in Green Bay and bus three-hours to the shores of Lake Superior.

March 10, 2000
James Chalmers scores 14 seconds into Game One. Mavericks win 4-2.

March 11, 2000
Wildcats score four goals in five minutes to open up a 5-1 lead, evening the best-of-three series at one game a piece. Meanwhile, in Sault Ste. Marie – Bowling Green completes a sweep of Lake Superior State.

March 12, 2000
Jeff Hoggan scores 13:29 into the third period, as the Mavericks win 2-1, taking the series from the Wildcats. The Mavericks upset, couples with the Falcons sweep of the Lakers means the Civic Auditorium will host the CCHA Play-In Game two nights later.

January 19, 2001
Northern Michigan’s legendary Puckheads make their first visit to Omaha. For Darren “Mojo” Muljo, the trip marks his first return to the area since his Air Force days.

March 15, 2002
Though the Mavericks are knocked out of the playoffs by Notre Dame, a number of fans make the trip to Detroit. NMU player parents and fans are exceedingly friendly. Mojo invites many to pre-game, post-game and during game parties. UNO Fan’s help cheer NMU to victory against Notre Dame (“Pull your Morgan” chant perfected during this game) in consolation game. Megaphone loaned to UNO fan NoClu for use during game…Coach Comley’s final game at NMU before moving to Michigan State. Historical moments captured on film as very uncomfortable Coach Comley poses with Puckheads and UNO Mav fans late that evening on the People Mover deck outside the RenCen. Megaphone may or may not be visible in this picture.

March 17, 2002
NMU Megaphone kidnapped and transported to Omaha.

August 2003
NMU Megaphone adorned with UNO hockey stickers and mailed to Mojo. Mojo later claims that said megaphone arrived “Collect on Delivery”…costing him beer money to retrieve it from the USPS.

November 23, 2002
The series begins to take on a life of its own. Both teams combine to take 27 penalties. With the Mavericks protecting a two-goal lead late in the third period, the Wildcats are awarded a penalty shot when UNO defenseman Greg Zanon falls on the puck in his own goal crease. NMU’s Chris Gobert converts the penalty shot against Brian Haaland, but following the goal Gobert is penalized for playing with an illegal stick. Northern Michigan would finish the game on the ensuing penalty kill, and the Mavericks hold on to win 5-4.

November 14, 2003
A two-game CCHA series at the new Qwest Center gets off to a controversial start when Northern Michigan’s lineup card lists Tuomas Tarkki as their starting goaltender, but it is Craig Kowalski who is between the pipes prior to the opening faceoff. The Mavericks notice the switcheroo, and Tarkki is forced to start the game – playing a whole 17 seconds, without incident. UNO wins the game 2-1 on a third period goal off Brent Kisio’s noggin. Maverick goaltender Kris Tebbs – in his first collegiate action – earns the victory. In his postgame press conference, Wildcats Coach Walt Kyle calls the pregame antics “chicken twizzlers.”

November 15, 2003
Old-time hockey finds its way to Omaha, when 39 seconds into the second period the Mavericks tie the game. Following the goal Northern Michigan’s Pat Bateman assaults a defenseless fish on the ice. Several Mavericks, including captain Mike Lefley come to the aid of the fish. The ensuing line brawl in front of the Wildcat bench goes down in folklore as “Fishgate”.

December 3, 2004
Mojo asks: “What’s a dichotomy?”

Representative of the Mavericks fan base including prominent members of MavPuck and the Red Army make the sojourn 13 hours to Marquette. Northern Michigan’s Puckheads welcome the group with a tailgate, attended by Walt Kyle. Wildcats win 3-2 on a Nathan Oystrick goal at 19:34 of the third period. Following the first Wildcat goal, a 26-inch Lake Trout is thrown on the ice at Berry Events Center.

The series marks the beginning of the travelling megaphone trophy between the teams’ fans.

December 4, 2004
Maverick freshman goaltender Eric Aarnio makes his collegiate debut – lasting just two shots and 39 seconds. Wildcats sweep the series with a 6-3 victory.

Following the game, Red Army mascot “Bob the Fish” is kidnapped. The curse of the fish begins.

January 5, 2005
With the Puckheads in possession of “Bob” – the Mavericks sweep the Wildcats with a 3-1 victory in Omaha. With the season series tied at 2-2, and goal scored even at 11 each -- debate begins over possession of the megaphone.

March 17, 2005
With “Bob” in attendance, the curse continues – the Mavericks lose to Michigan State, and the Wildcats lose to Alaska at Joe Louis Arena. The Puckheads hand over possession of the megaphone to the Red Army – based on the third tiebreaker: goals scored in the opponent’s arena (UNO won the tiebreaker 5-2). “Bob” would return to Omaha, but is never again taken into an arena where the Mavericks are playing.

February 11, 2006
As a result,of the official Spirit Phone being left in Omaha, Mojo has a stand in megaphone created. UNO sweeps series and Mojo is layed up in the hospital after his blood pressure prior to the second game rises to 211/151. His family reluctantly gives him score updates as UNO demolishes NMU and sweeps, thus winning possession of the Spirit Phone. Mavpuckers receive possession from Puckheads as no Red Army members are present. The curse of the Megaphone begins.

February 26, 2006
Mavericks later travel to Western Michigan and Mavpuckers take along the stand in megaphone. They would lose a late lead and suffer defeat on Saturday night, and as a result have to make a return trip to NMU for the playoffs.

March 11, 2006
Mavs season appeared to be ended when swept by the Wildcats in the CCHA Playoffs. The Imposter Phone is burned on the shores of Lake Superior, recovered the next morning and placed at his lakeside doorstep only moments before Mavpuckers drove off. Mojo states that he had placed a curse on the Mavs in revenge over the burnt, and oddly fish-shaped, corpse of the imposter pone. UNO would still make the NCAA Tournament.

October 21, 2006
NMU wins the Mav Stampede, taking the tournament trophy back to Marquette. Rumor has it that the burnt Imposter Phone made it back to Omaha and may now be at the bottom of the Missouri River…

January 27, 2007
UNO Sweeps NMU in Omaha, maintaining possession of the Spirit Phone.

February 22, 2008
Official “Rules” of winning the Spirit Phone established by gentleman’s agreement between Coach Kyle and Coach Kemp. Trophy goes to the team that is the “overall winner” of the games played during the regular season. (If the games end in ties or = points, the trophy will remain with the team who already possesses it). Spirit Phone won by NMU in Sweep of Mavericks in Marquette.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...

BCat
Freshman Mav

Uzbekistan
136 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  02:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool, thanks for the run down of the history
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  07:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So are the PUCKHEADS coming down for this series?

Has anyone been able to get ahold of MOJO?

If NOT will Walt Kyle make sure the megaphone is on that piece of crap bus of theirs?

Since Pat Bateman is tending bar somewhere in Western Alberta, I'm sure that there is some other gullible freshman that Kyle can order to whack the fish.

I fully believe that these scumbags are coming to town with bad intentions.
Mark it down. Trouble is on the horizon for this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

MavML
Sophomore Mav

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  2:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like naked people running around buses? There is a Patrick Bateman listed as a mental patient at the Manhattan Psychiatric Center. I don't know if it's that one.

The shadow of the Wicker man is rising up again!
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7864 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  2:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavML

Like naked people running around buses?

Don't know about naked people running around buses on this trip... but we did lose Krutov at the bar -- he turned up at the hotel across the street.

Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6256 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The imposter megaphone is not at the bottom of the Missouri River.

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7864 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  6:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavBridget

The imposter megaphone is not at the bottom of the Missouri River.

"Bob" was destined for the bottom of the Detroit River, until someone reminded me that he didn't belong to me -- he belonged to Krutov.

Go to Top of Page

High_Five
The Mountain Man

Fyro Macedonia
418 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I correct in understanding Bob has only ovulated once thus far? Did he have his only shot at reproduction wasted on a Hwy in Wisconsin/the UP?
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1669 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  08:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to our 2010-2011 UNO Hockey Media Guide, NMU took possesion of the Sprit Phone in 2009, and kept it in 2010 (split season Win/Loss and tied with goals for/goals against)!

Also, our current All-Time Record vs. NMU is....15 - 15 - 2. .500 with 98 goals for and 97 goals against...

We need the Spirit Phone!

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7864 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  11:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by High_Five

Am I correct in understanding Bob has only ovulated once thus far? Did he have his only shot at reproduction wasted on a Hwy in Wisconsin/the UP?

That would be correct.

Go to Top of Page

mavgirl84
Junior Mav

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  12:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the luncheon and the nmu headcoach gave props to the puckheads and our group but didn't say red army....and is proud of the friendly rivalry
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav

7864 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  1:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mavgirl84

...but didn't say red army...

If he calls us out by name, he has to acknowledge we exist.

Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1669 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  11:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Phone should have been there!

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  11:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the megaphone has been disgraced.
The Mav colors on it were BROWN.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2334 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  04:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavML

Like naked people running around buses? There is a Patrick Bateman listed as a mental patient at the Manhattan Psychiatric Center. I don't know if it's that one.

I see what you did there...

---
Go to Top of Page

Mojo
Founder of the NMU Puckheads

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  12:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there MavPuckers, Red Army and all my fellow hockey fans from Omaha!!! It has been too long since we last acquainted...

Just stopping by to resurrect this topic and say that I'm excited to see the Mavericks in Marquette this coming weekend. The Spirit Phone will be there as well along with a well trained group of youthfully exuberant Puckheads.

How I long for the days of youth and our shared past...I'm less active now but still watch over the antics of the now 16 years old Puckheads. I'm quite pleased with the groups growth and sustainability over the years. I'm sure those of you in attendance this weekend will agree.

Secret Agent Mav and another member of The Red Army will be in town from what I hear...and we will do our best to send them back to Omaha empty handed! lol...

Best of luck as always and I look forward to my next visit to your fine, yet smelly, city!

President/Founder of The NMU Puckheads!!!
Former resident of Omaha.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  5:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SecretAgentMav

November 15, 2003
Old-time hockey finds its way to Omaha, when 39 seconds into the second period the Mavericks tie the game. Following the goal Northern Michigan’s Pat Bateman assaults a defenseless fish on the ice. Several Mavericks, including captain Mike Lefley come to the aid of the fish. The ensuing line brawl in front of the Wildcat bench goes down in folklore as “Fishgate”.

My absolute favorite moment in UNO Hockey history was the Superman dive that Lefley did into the bench to take on all comers

---------------
The only certainty in life is that life itself is uncertain
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6256 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  10:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My video of the original Fishgate incident has been floating around YouTube for years!

This uncredited version has over 3,000 views!
http://youtu.be/k1yTn1yFH9U

quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My video of the original Fishgate incident has been floating around YouTube for years!

quote:

Too bad Part II doesn't seem to wrok any more

---------------
The only certainty in life is that life itself is uncertain
Go to Top of Page

aparch
New Recruit

4 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Uncredited? It says where its from right in the comments.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6256 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  1:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I had to click "Show More."

There was another version floating around YouTube that had the photo credit actually *in* the video, so that's where I was expecting it...

quote:
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1669 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's go UNO!!!

Sorry I won't be making the trip this year....:(

@joelemperes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2014 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000