Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  3:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with AJ on his last post. The Royals in game promotions are sometimes embarrassing and their production value for their videos and graphics go beyond embarrassing to sub high school level.

Go to an Iowa Cubs game sometime. They treat the product as near major league level. You can instantly see a difference between how they go about their business compared to the Royals. The Royals play up the "wacky fun" aspects of minor league baseball to the point where it looks like they are worshipping at the altar of Bill Veeck. I just don't think that works around here.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually like the promotions. My kids get a kick out of them. I think what they've done has worked based on the attendance gains they've made since taking over. Will be interesting to see how they do now that they actually have a ballpark and amenties that are geared towards minor leagues.

My brother-in-law and sister went to a game with us this summer. They're from Lincoln and go to the occasional salt dawgs game. About half way through the game he turned to me and said the salt dawgs could learn something about production from these guys.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  4:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some of their promotions are pretty good and they've come a long way in some areas. the stuff i'm thinking of would be along the lines of their "new years" celebration a couple of years ago hosted by "d1ck clark" (a guy they found in the phone book named d1ck clark and not the real one). Just cheesy. Also, Jersey Shore night? I guess it worked because you wouldn't believe the amount of people that showed up in hair gel to get free tickets, but I find it embarrassing. Still, I know that is just personal opinion and it really probably was effective.

My biggest beef is with the level of graphics and video quality that they have. Look at the Iowa Cubs. They have professional graphics and video spots, not things that look like they were done by a 9th grader in photoshop or videos shot with a $300 consumer level camera.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  9:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

My beef with Stein?

I disagree with his overall view of where minor-league baseball fits into this market. I feel it should be treated as close to a big-league operation as possible. People around here think of their sports as major league in a way...they don't like/appreciate all the wacky games in between innings and such. I disagree with the way they've handled their advertising as well...firing Smith Kaplan as an agency, adn doing it in house..which IMO has made them a joke in terms of marketing around town.

But that's just me. I'm glad he kept the team here. He didn't have to.

Oh ok, I can understand that. But, the previous ownership group changed agencies before the current one bought the club in May of 2006 fyi. I think that was summer of 2004 or 2005 when that happened.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  9:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting points guys. Their promotions have one national awards the past 3 years as attendance has jumped. Maybe this market just hasn't seen or been able to experience minor league baseball before due to prior ownership and Rosenblatt. I bet it is even more minor league beginning next year in Sarpy.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  12:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

I bet it is even more minor league beginning next year in Sarpy.

You can read that two different ways, and one of those ways could be a disaster.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  12:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first order of business. get giant omahog statue to stand guard over right field. make sure it shoots smoke out of its nose when the omahogs hit a home run. We're trying to recreate bull durham here.

Next, fill out the schedule with theme nights commemorating every mtv show out there. first, it will be jersey shore night, but be sure to get your tickets for 16 and pregnant night. get d1ck clark from south omaha to be the guest of honor!

Look, the Royals do alot right. They are the most affordable and fan friendly sports team in the city. They have a good product, but I just don't understand why they try to treat it as a joke sometimes. I always figured part of that was because of the severe limitations and small time feel of an empty Rosenblatt. I thought that would change with the move to the new park.

I'm serious. Go to an Iowa Cubs game sometime. Compare the presentation of the products and how much respect each franchise treats their product with. Omaha often plays up the wacky and crazy aspects of minor league baseball. Iowa plays up the fact that it's one step away from being the Chicago Cubs and you can see it in their videos, graphics, on field promotions, presentation, logos, uniforms, etc.

I just agree with AJ that the Omaha franchise is misreading their fanbase on this. We don't like things that feel minor league. We have a complex to where we feel big time. Right or wrong, people want to feel that the events they are attending are important and making it seem like you're attending a wacky minor league extravaganza is not the way to get people in Omaha on board.
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  2:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with you there nouse. If it weren't for the wacky promotions and theme nights my daughter and I wouldn't go to Royals games. Baseball is boring they have to do something to keep the fans interested.

Sec. 213 row A seats 11, 12
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  3:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah. i get you. that makes sense. to each their own, I suppose. I'm just used to a different type of production.
Go to Top of Page

mavfan85
The Writer

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  10:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to Iowa Cubs games a few times and have been unimpressed every time. The Royals have won numerous awards for their promotions. They know how to treat their fans. Season ticket holders are treated like kings and queens. I know many people who go because of the on field games.
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  05:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Iowa plays up the fact that it's one step away from being the Chicago Cubs and you can see it in their videos, graphics, on field promotions, presentation, logos, uniforms, etc.

Too bad for Omaha, they are one step away from the KC Royals. KC has to market their team as "Come see our good players go to the Yankees or Red Sox in a few years!"
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  09:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, this is the day we are supposed to learn the corporate naming sponsor for the sarpy stadium. Any guesses on who it ends up being?

I'm going, in this order...

1. Werner
2. Paypal
3. Cox
Go to Top of Page

lynchicemav
Old Sage With Infrequent Posts

193 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  11:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4. MavPuck
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lynchicemav

4. MavPuck

Where is the Mavpuck "LIKE" button on that one??!?!?!
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  2:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFanOh ok, I can understand that. But, the previous ownership group changed agencies before the current one bought the club in May of 2006 fyi. I think that was summer of 2004 or 2005 when that happened.

Perhaps. I'm always a few years behind the times. :)
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  08:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foul poles were set incorrectly at TD. Looks like they will have to be taken out and reset with new footings. Other than that things are going pretty well and are starting to get back to where they may be on schedule in the coming months.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how did they manage to set the foul poles incorrectly?
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  5:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they put them in foul territory?

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  4:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone going to the Sarpy/Werner park open house on Saturday? Could have swore I heard it advertised on the radio, but don't see anything on their site?????

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  5:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there Saturday afternoon. Here's the info:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110117&content_id=16448414&vkey=news_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  5:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there on Saturday for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  5:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opps, I should have posted that in the other thread :)

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000