Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

admin
U!N!O!

10145 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  09:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the Michigan fans -- and Yost -- were fine.

We were thoroughly beaten in every aspect of the game. That wasn't simply a case of getting "outplayed" by a better team, it was a severe breakdown on the part of UNO in every aspect of the game.

You can talk about the level of talent we are able to realistically recruit at UNO, but we shouldn't get "drubbed" that badly at this level.

I'm just hoping for a more "respectable" game tonight.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavRick

This is an absurd lack of perspective. Bad beat. We've won three games against top-10 opponents this year. We're getting three of the top 25 scorers in the USHL next year, two of the top 25. Like the coach, don't like the coach, but this kind of wild self-pity has truly become boring.

Self pity? Losing is acceptable in certain cases...embarassment is not.

Settling for mediocrity and status quo while constantly waiting for 'next year' to arrive has become boring to me. Not meaning to be snotty...to each their own...but this is not getting any better.
Go to Top of Page

Pete n Repete
Sophomore Mav

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is an absurd lack of perspective. Bad beat. We've won three games against top-10 opponents this year. We're getting three of the top 25 scorers in the USHL next year, two of the top 25. Like the coach, don't like the coach, but this kind of wild self-pity has truly become boring.

Rick,
You are lookingat this the wrong way don't take this as a personal blast or who I like or don't.

Look at it this way UNO as a copmany traded on the NSE symbol UNO.
John Christensen CEO
David Miller President
Mike Kemp VP Hockey Operations
Pat Behrns Vp Football Operations
Season ticket holders and all fans Shareholders
The CEO sets the agenda and priority's for the company he allocates the resources.
The president sets the plans into action he builds the best team using the resources directed by the CEO
The VP's of operations implement the plan and run the day to day operations.
The share holders expect a return on investment. They monitor the overall operation and input their pleasure or displeasure to the management. They have the opportunity to vote once a year on weather they are happy with the plan for the future and the operation of the company.

The university needs to do the same every year are we getting the results we expected from our investment?
If the answer is no then the administration needs to make the changes required to reach their objectives.
Simple numbers not likes and dislikes.
If UNO is not doing this every year that is a problem that needs to be corrected. Every organization no matter how successful has to evaluate their performance on a annual basis and come up with a plan to improve or remain completive in the market or they will be out of business shortly.
Saying we are bringing in 3 of the top scorers in the USHL next year guarantees nothing.
Go to Top of Page

UNOMav
Aiming for #1

British Indian Ocean Territories
963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typically, when 2 goaltenders from the same team in the same game give up 4 and 5 goals...the problem tends to focus on the defense in front of him. UNO's D was horrid when playing the better teams early in the season...and when the quality of competition went down the inexperience on D wasn't as evident. Now again a team with good offensive talent exposed our D. It would have been nice that the D would have improved since early in the season.

UNO needs to come out tonight with some attitude, but play smart.

BTW...anyone that thinks the talent on these 2 teams is comparible needs to take off the rose colored glasses. That is no excuse to get blown off the ice.

I am not a big fan of the top 4 seeds getting a week of rest while the other teams beat each others brains in. Of the 4 matchups 3 were wins by the top 4 seeds by 3 or more goals. Notice also that UNO scored the only goal in the 3rd period of those 3 games. Those teams look to have run out of gas. Having the top 4 seeds at home playing the bottom 4 seeds...that is an advantage enough.

Still aiming for #1.
Go to Top of Page

UNOMav
Aiming for #1

963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The team is young. Most fans realized that this season would have its growing pains. If at the start of the season we would have known that UNO would be fighting for 5th place up until nearly the last game of the season...most would have accepted that. Better things should be coming in the next season or 2. I would rather have UNO take its lumps now and play younger guys with the hope that the experience will help them down the road.

Still aiming for #1.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3832 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that can really be misleading is when we tout "top 25" scorers coming in from the USHL and such. Are these the olders players putting up big numbers against the younger ones? I honestly don't know the age of these recruits, but it they're 16 or 17 and putting up big numbers that tells you one thing. If they are near the USHL age limit it is a little less impressive.

Bad loss, it's going to be interesting to see how we respond. At least I don't have to read about how bad the officiating was when we get blown out and completely out shot.

It's pointless to talk about a coaching change right now. Kemp's got 2 more years. We all saw our chancellor's expectations. Right now we're not there, it seems pretty apparent we need to improve in the next two years or there will be a coaching change. I think Kemp has earned the next two plus we don't have the money to buy him out anyway.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

elenasmom
Senior Mav

Saint Pierre and Miquelon
1114 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I must say that last night was the most difficult UNO game I have had to watch. As to the fans, our student section could take ALOT of lessons from them. I did think that MI ran the score up....Really 6-1 would have been bad too. Now fan conduct after the game is another story. The NE posse was not large, and far from "scary" as we waited for our car, we wee reminded how bad "we Suck" and that we should have stayed home ect.....I have to give credit to my 8yr old. She pointed out that we have only had hockey for 11 yrs, so basicly their "old" program was taking pride in beating "little" kids. It does have a bit of truth. We do not have the tradition and history of MI someday we will. This was a tough game for our boys. I hope they come out tonight and show how good they really are. I for one want to see hockey tonight, not MI showing off again!

Red Army alive and well in 106
Go to Top of Page

gomavericks_student
Sophomore Mav

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UNOMav

The team is young. Most fans realized that this season would have its growing pains. If at the start of the season we would have known that UNO would be fighting for 5th place up until nearly the last game of the season...most would have accepted that. Better things should be coming in the next season or 2. I would rather have UNO take its lumps now and play younger guys with the hope that the experience will help them down the road.

Still aiming for #1.

Every year this is what we say. Yes, we have talent, yes we are young, but so are other teams out there. There is something that needs to be changed here. We can sit back and say that in a few years... it will happen. But it won't. Unless there is a change. Whether it be in philosophy or in coaches.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
-Archie Griffen, two-time Heisman winner ( 5ft 9)
Go to Top of Page

elenasmom
Senior Mav

1114 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think MI ran the score up.....not needed. Sauer could have left in the 2nd period, and they would have still won by at least 5! I firmly (maybe naively) believe that Kemp would not have been as unmercifull, UNO hockey has always played with some class, MI showed none!

Go to Top of Page

OldBrew
New Recruit

23 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this talk of the team being young is not correct. Based on the birthdates given by the USCHO website, UNO in fact has the oldest average age of players in the CCHA.

Average Age
Michigan 20.53
Michigan State 21.33
Notre Dame 21.55
Ohio State 21.58
Miami 21.75
Northern Michigan 21.82
Lake Superior State 21.91
Ferris State 21.97
Western Michigan 22.05
Bowling Green 22.13
Alaska - Fairbanks 22.17
UNO 22.51
Go to Top of Page

UNOMav
Aiming for #1

963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youth isn't only measured in years old...but also in amount of experience. The FACT is that UNO has been playing with a very inexperienced defense...O seniors...1 junior (for part of the year) and the rest are all sophomores and freshmen...very few, if any, teams in DI play with 1 total junior and senior on their defense core.

The exciting part would be in 2 years when the Defense is loaded with upperclassmen. If Dupont can get his head together...and all the young (inexperienced) defensemen stay at UNO...UNO's defense should be very very tough.

Still aiming for #1.
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michigan Fan, on average, is an evil being. At his best, he is one of the best and classiest fans in the country. At his worst, he is a contemptible wretch. Sadly, there seem to be many more of those than decent human beings who wear corn and blew.

I salute those brave souls who go out there knowing they'll endure the classless garbage that is M fan.

OldBrew, I think Mike's point was college-level experience or class standing, not chronological age.
Michigan gets a lot of very young players, and they will lose more to the pros, etc. than we will.

Pete, your stockholder analogy doesn't convince me of anything. It was a tough loss. It is also one loss. Michigan has looked truly frightening since they swept Miami at Miami. They're a hell of a hockey team.

Some of their fans are contemptible human beings, but that doesn't change they're a good hockey team.

Also, I don't care how bad the play was, 10 goals on 40 shots is excessive. Sometimes the other guy can't miss. Sounds like last night was one of those.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)
Go to Top of Page

ellisfan
Your Name Here!

Djibouti
4083 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)

Top 25 in the USHL like say.... John Thomas? He worked out real well.

The level of talent that UNO is bringing in has gone up over the years. (I expect it to go down now that we lost Doc) Yet, we dont get any better from year to year. Something needs to change.

Ferris St. did it
Miami did it
Notre Dame did it

Why cant we?
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  1:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Top 25 in the USHL like Scott Parse or Bill Thomas. JT didn't play an honest shift at UNO. Would you prefer we recruit at the bottom?

This week's signs of the apocalypse are that I agree with UNOMav, and, if he'll accept the jest, that he is optimistic about the future.

Go to Top of Page

UNOMav
Aiming for #1

963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like anything dealing with recruiting...some players may turn out to be a "bust"...nothing is guaranteed. I would rather have 3 from the top 25 in scoring in the USHL than 3 not in the top 25...or 2 in the top 25. It isn't as if it is 3 in the top 25 of the Omaha Highschool League (whatever it is called)...the USHL is a league with legit talent.

While I have said that a defensive minded team for UNO would have a better chance of succeeding...all teams need forwards to put the puck in the net.

Still aiming for #1.
Go to Top of Page

MaizeNBrew
Junior Mav

Denmark
745 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  1:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OldBrew, I think Mike's point was college-level experience or class standing, not chronological age.
Michigan gets a lot of very young players, and they will lose more to the pros, etc. than we will.

All that is true, but on the same token I believe that a 17-18 year freshman will usually mature and grow more and have a bigger upside in 3 years than a 21 year old freshman. Not that I disagree with the strategy, UNO is going after the players that are going to help them win and what they can compete for recruiting wise. The 17 year old's that are being heavily recruited are going to choose typically between UM, BC, Minn, etc.
Go to Top of Page

UNOMav
Aiming for #1

963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  1:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that is my...and Rick's point. Generally the more talented younger players are recruited by the Michigan's of the world. UNO can't compete recruiting wise on a consistent basis with those teams. UNO has to go for the "less" talented and older players. Yes, Michigan will likely lose more players to the pro's than UNO will, but that only further helps them to recruit those types of players. One leaves...another highly heralded recruit steps in...but for UNO if one of those types of players leaves...it isn't as likely that a young highly skilled player is available to take his place. Or Michigan can simply raid the USDT team whenever it wants someone.

Still aiming for #1.
Go to Top of Page

MaizeNBrew
Junior Mav

Denmark
745 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  1:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it interesting that john and bridget didn't have a huge problem with the crowd. Is there anybody complaining about the crowd actually there at Yost this weekend?

I thought Sauer would be pulled maybe after 5minutes after the shutout was over.

Go to Top of Page

hockeymom
New Recruit

15 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  2:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine how hard it is to recruit to teams like UNO. We are the dog under the table begging for the scraps from UM, Minnesota, BU, etc...
For what we have to work with, UNO is a highly talented team. They should have been in the top 4-5 this year easily. They are fast, and they can score(usually). I know how much people complain about how the team is small compared to Michigan, but would you rather have a big goon who can't skate and can't score? If you think UNO is going to get the big guy who can skate like the wind and score on top of it... think again, we were playing against those guys last night. Remember, you can't hit what you can't catch, even if they are small. Look at how the NHL is changing.
If our guys would play up to their potential and with a little heart...

The heat is on
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1248 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all of you moaning about Michigan running up the score, I say this. If you want a team to stop scoring on you, then do something to stop them.

I think Steve Spurrier said something like this in the 90s

------------------ 
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"
Go to Top of Page

OldBrew
New Recruit

23 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  3:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UNOMav

Youth isn't only measured in years old...but also in amount of experience. The FACT is that UNO has been playing with a very inexperienced defense...O seniors...1 junior (for part of the year) and the rest are all sophomores and freshmen...very few, if any, teams in DI play with 1 total junior and senior on their defense core.

The exciting part would be in 2 years when the Defense is loaded with upperclassmen. If Dupont can get his head together...and all the young (inexperienced) defense men stay at UNO...UNO's defense should be very very tough.

Still aiming for #1.

I don't disagree about the lack of collegiate experience, however these players have been playing, probably at USHL or equivalent and should be expected to have gained some level of experience.

As information, Michigan has three freshmen, three sophomores and one junior in their defensive core. They also have zero senior defense men.
Go to Top of Page

elenasmom
Senior Mav

1114 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  3:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had no problems with the crowd in the arena, and I think our student could take a ton of lessons. Outside Yost was another story. I am traveling with my kids, and we were berated with off color and cheap shots while leaving. I see no need to inform 8 and 12 yr olds that their team sucks, (toned down alot) or that the high scool team could have beat us too....need I say more?

Go to Top of Page

ControlledChaos
Freshman Mav

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  3:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my article about the game...It was posted earlier this morning. Let me know what you think....

http://tinyurl.com/2hkbm7
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

183 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  4:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the Redwings-Preds game, 3-1 preds. Ellis in goal played great.Zannon got alot of action,had assist on 1st goal.

Last night was brutal.Fans were first class,The history of photo's was awesome,neet place. Hope the team shows up tonight.

Need more webkins
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10145 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one knows what the future holds.

Right now, the future I am most concerned about is at 7:05 p.m. EST.

Let me say this...

I fully anticipate a better performance by UNO tonight (regardless of the outcome). However, that was a major "ass whuppin'" we endured last night.

I've watched UNO play a lot of good teams over the past 11 years, but that might rank as one of the toughest games for UNO in their short history.

There is a difference between being soundly defeated and being embarrassed. It very easily could have been 12 or 13 goals.

As Mike says, the CCHA playoff format is brutal on the lower seeds. You could just tell in the first couple of minutes that it was going to be a long night for our boys.

Everyone realizes that it is going to be difficult to win at Yost no matter the circumstances. They don't lose at home very often.

Losses at places like Yost are understandable. But at this level, I am not sure that complete annihilation is.

Anyhow...there are lots of things that our team needs to work on for next season. I am hopeful (as always) that we'll turn things around a bit next season...

We just need to find a way to get the most out of the players we have -- and not worry about the recruits we aren't able to get.
Go to Top of Page

Go Mavs
Junior Mav

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I found it interesting that john and bridget didn't have a huge problem with the crowd. Is there anybody complaining about the crowd actually there at Yost this weekend?

I thought the crowd last night wasn't obnoxious, and I went in expecting them to be. Everybody cheers. There's a lot to be envied in that. And with 2 minutes left in the game, and let's face it, the outcome was a certainty, there were probably 95% of the fans still in the bleachers. Even for some of our best wins, we can't boast that.

There were four 10-12 year old boys that were the most obnoxious, but even at that, they didn't compare to the creatures that we encountered at Miami.

We didn't have any problems as we walked to our car. The person that Bridget overheard talking about making more scores was not making the statement to us, but rather an observation amongst their own group.

I'm a little more concerned about tonight, being St Pat's weekend and all. Linda and Brian had to stop on a street this morning as Michigan students were moving a keg across the street, in preparation for today's partying. I hope this doesn't get ugly.

I'm hoping for a better night tonight.

GO MAVS!
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10145 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  5:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I thought the crowd last night wasn't obnoxious, and I went in expecting them to be. Everybody cheers. There's a lot to be envied in that. And with 2 minutes left in the game, and let's face it, the outcome was a certainty, there were probably 95% of the fans still in the bleachers. Even for some of our best wins, we can't boast that.

I thought it was pretty cool that their fans stayed until the end...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  5:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some expierence at this.

The more of a threat you are to a particular fan base...the worse they will treat you. This is the reason Husker fans clapped nicely and politely for 30 years as they beat another lower level team 70-3. Now adays, I'm not sure you always see that. (At least not as often.)

Point is, nobody hates Baylor.

Think about that for a second.

I've seen Michigan fans up close. I've stood among 14,000 of them and went vocal note to vocal note in a close and tight game. I've seen what they are capable of. Rick is corret in a way...they are just fine when they are pounding on you. When you threaten them...it's a whole other story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

Go Mavs
Junior Mav

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  5:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Rick is corret in a way...they are just fine when they are pounding on you. When you threaten them...it's a whole other story.

With luck, we'll be able to test that theory tonight.

GO MAVS!
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1248 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav
This is the reason Husker fans clapped nicely and politely for 30 years as they beat another lower level team 70-3. Now adays, I'm not sure you always see that. (At least not as often.)

Still happens every game.

------------------ 
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2014 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000