Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eight years later, it still happens to Jeff Hoggan.

Jeff Hoggan scoring the game-winning goal in UNO's 3-1 play-in game victory over Bowling Green on March 14, 2000. The 3-year-old Mavericks sold out Civic Auditorium for the Tuesday night game, which ranks among the most magical in the history of Omaha sports.
Every once in awhile, the former UNO hockey standout said, he'll be greeted by somebody who doesn't bother to mince words:

"I hate you."

Even if it's a stranger offering up such pleasantries, Hoggan - who's now skating with the AHL's Providence Bruins - still can size up the situation in only half a second.

"If somebody says that to me," Hoggan said, "I know they must have some kind of connection with Bowling Green. And I know they're talking about that play-in game."

The date was March 14, 2000. The scene was a sold-out Civic Auditorium in downtown Omaha. The final score was UNO 3, Bowling Green 1.

But if you talk to anybody who has anything to do with University of Nebraska at Omaha pucks, all you have to say is "Tuesday night." On that electric evening - one that still ranks among the most magical nights in the history of Omaha sports - Hoggan and the 3-year-old Mavericks willed their way to Detroit's Joe Louis Arena - "The Joe," as it's more commonly known - and into the CCHA's final four.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10259152

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But wait...there's more...
quote:
Originally published by Tom Shatel on March 15, 2000

Well, it looks like everyone better vote for the new arena and convention center on May 9. Because the old Civic Auditorium came down last night.

This was March Mavness. This was insane. This wasn't Omaha. This was Detroit. Philadelphia. Montreal. This was Chicago Stadium, the old Chicago Stadium, on steroids.

This was magic, pure and simple. The UNO hockey team, which is growing faster than a 6-foot, 13-year-old, provided the magic. And the crowd threw it right back at them. They were partners on a singular mission. They were in perfect synch. They kept batting the magic back and forth to each other like a beach ball.

And both outdid themselves. The Mavs took care of Bowling Green, 3-1, in a Central Collegiate Hockey Association playoff, play -in game. The Mavs, in their third year as a program and first year in the league, are going to the CCHA Final Four on Friday at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Yes, UNO is going to Hockeytown, U.S.A. Although, on Tuesday night, you would have sworn this was Hockeytown.

At the very least, it was Hockeyville here. Omaha has had its Knights, its Lancers, its Omaha U. way back when. But this had to be one of the greatest, loudest, most special nights in Omaha hockey history. There were more people yelling, screaming, chanting and standing then you could shake a high - stick at.

"It was unreal," said sophomore Jeff Hoggan. "I can't even describe it."

The whole evening was wild. It was like something out of a dream. Veteran observers were saying it was the loudest noise in this building since the famous "Larry Bird" game against Creighton in 1978.

They were just nuts. Totally nuts. The fans got here early. They stood and cheered during warm - ups. They got louder and louder. They kept standing and standing. There were 8,314 of them but they sounded like 18,000. So much for people not wanting to drive downtown. So much for good-life Nebraskans sitting on their hands. These people came to party and win a hockey game and they weren't going to leave until both were on ice.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10258757

Go to Top of Page

CampUSA
Camp...not Comp

Denmark
1761 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will always remember it. I hope we can come close to doing the same thing tonight and tomarrow.

"Van of Fun" Driver
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Video highlights of "Tuesday Night"

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10258864

Go to Top of Page

The Judge
Sophomore Mav

Germany
415 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still gives me chills every time I watch it.

"Don't get eliminated": Kenny Blankenship-MXC
Go to Top of Page

tjelf
Bunner, man

2055 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who could forget? Quite the night.

A well-written, excellent story. Chad Purcell should be complemented not just for this story, but for his coverage of UNO hockey all year. Well done!

---------------------
Who are you who can summon fire with neither flint nor tinder?
There are some who call me.....Tim?
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purcell has by-far done the best job of any WH reporters to date in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

The Judge
Sophomore Mav

Germany
415 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the address of the guy to tell it to, Greg. He's the editor of the sports section of the WierdHarold.

thad.livingston@owh.com

I've emailed him a few times over the past 2-3 years and always heard back from him. Seems interested in our perception.

"Don't get eliminated": Kenny Blankenship-MXC
Go to Top of Page

HockeyNutz
Junior Mav

815 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High stick?
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best. Game. Ever.

Pre-game "Pep Rally" at Bowling Green Park on 72nd & Blondo.

Losing your voice and realizing it doesn't even matter, 'cause you can't hear yourself anyway.

Standing around in the bowels of the Civic after the game waiting for the players to come out.

My one regret: Not going to Detroit.
Go to Top of Page

Papa Bear Mav
"Witness"

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  10:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last empty netter was after the puck was hit with a high stick in our end. BGSU had a legitimate beef with that, but who cares?

No doubt the BEST, GAME, EVER in UNO history.

If you've never been on the road to see the facilities and crowds the rest of the conference play in front of at their venues you cannot conceive how intimidating the Civic was (and is) for our opponents with 7,000 + right on top of you. In the case of Tuesday night it did indeed feel and sound like twice that many.

Hopefully it doesn't scare our own freshmen too badly this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

tjelf
Bunner, man

2055 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Tyler Masters (the BG goalie for Tuesday Night, for those who don't know), who's now coaching the goalies for BG, has made the trip and if he read the article.

He really hates us.

---------------------
Who are you who can summon fire with neither flint nor tinder?
There are some who call me.....Tim?
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10828 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I miss the days when UNO was the 'it' team in Omaha. Those were the days when the community didn't give two licks about Creighton.

I miss guys like Hoggan and Sidoruk...gutty players who wanted to win for the fans.

I remember what Jeff Hoggan said to Bridget and me about our CCHA opponents. He was from British Columbia, so he wasn't as familiar with the NCAA powerhouses as the rest of us. He said: "I don't know who half of them are...I just want to beat them all."

Good times with a lot of good friends during those years! And the good times continue.

It should be a great weekend of hockey.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the OWH website continues it's longstanding tradition of suckiness and blowing dead goats by crapping out everytime I load the video.

Anybody have another way to view it other than the piece of shyt OWH video player?

GOOD GOD could they suck any more? Worthless idiots.

PS - Buddy Powers made my McGriddle sandwich this morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

section 15
All-Star Mav

USA
2741 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Charley I have the whole game on DVD with Greg and Terry's voice over - Its just great!

UNOmaholic's Dad
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got it on my PC. Despite the fact that I wasn't really a Mav Hockey fan back then (though i do remember listening to games involving Hoggan, Noel-Bernier, Wong, Ellis, etc... I never went to a game until I started going to school here), I have it. If anyone wants it let me know and I can find a way to upload to you.
Go to Top of Page

hockey_player_02-03
Sophomore Mav

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  4:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. That video gave me goosebumps.

I remember not going to school the next day beacause I was so tired.

Ahhh hopefully it sounds like that this weekend.

---------------
http://unintentionalintegrity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Go Mavs
Junior Mav

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  5:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad we were there. I didn't know many hockey people at that point, other than Matt, Mike, and Roger. It is probably the game that defined the fans as a community for the first time. It was a very special game and I feel fortunate to have witnessed it.

Now, it's time for new memories. Let's go bring the house down!

GO MAVS!
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  12:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was 2 years before I started going to games....It's like watching a different world. I've never seen the video before...that's cool
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000