Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would kind of need to know how much that in the red is, if it all for CU. I assume some of the costs charged to Creighton for the field upkeep and maintenance would then only be charged or moved on the accounting ledger to the CWS. Might not be costing much at all to have CU there. Also from what was reported, Red Sky had big losses. You've also got to believe the Nighthawks cost MECA some bucks as well, since they neither drew well or finished their season....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  1:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this pretty much confirms what I thought. The field dimensions had nothing to do with honoring Rosenblatt, or an active nod towards tradition. They simply didn't even think about wind patterns or the then upcoming bat changes. But hey, at least they got the view of the skyline right! That was their main focus, after all.

quote:
When the architects behind TD Ameritrade Park decided to buck tradition and have home plate face southeast, they didn't consider how wind might affect future home runs.

“That didn't really enter the conversation,” said Bruce Carpenter of HDR, the lead architect on the project.

Instead, they focused on the angles of the sun, and how the park would connect to the surrounding urban landscape.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130627/CWS/706279860/1001#prevailing-wind-favors-imagery-over-home-runs-at-cws
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  6:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although rare, TD isn't the only park like this, however. I know Comerica faces due south and AT&T Park faces east. It's rare the MLB rules do state, though, that the line from home plate to second base is preferable to run northeast.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  8:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

Although rare, TD isn't the only park like this, however. I know Comerica faces due south and AT&T Park faces east. It's rare the MLB rules do state, though, that the line from home plate to second base is preferable to run northeast.

I don't have an issue with the direction. Haymarket Park in Lincoln has the same orientation and I've never heard anyone complain about that. I just think they should have put more thought into the dimensions.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  10:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NY Mets moved in the Great Wall of Flushing at Citi Field to make the field friendlier to their premier player - David Wright - while still maintaining the historical (Shea Stadium) sense of having pitcher friendly parks ... Imagine that, a compromise. It can be done here because as we all know, Chicks dig the long ball (even though the 'roids driving that train effected .... ahhh balls)

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  1:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize Haymark park faced the same way and had further power alleys. Odd that center is closer though.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  8:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quote you gave doesn't really mention the dimensions though, just the orientation. Maybe the article does though.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I just took it as connect the dots in that quote. They didn't mention the dimensions in the article, but they did say how wind patterns in the new orientation would affect home runs wasn't discussed.

That would have been step one in the conversation. Step 2, if they'd determined that the wind would affect home runs in a drastic manner, would have been to discuss whether or not keeping the same dimensions was a good idea.

Unfortunately, they didn't get to step 2, because they didn't even discuss the first question.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to Wayne Graham's comments to Baseball America's Aaron Fitt, it sounds like this isn't a TD Ameritrade Park issue...but rather a college baseball issue.

https://twitter.com/aaronfitt

quote:

Got a call from #Rice coach Wayne Graham, who feels passionately that college baseball needs to adopt the ball used by pro leagues.

Graham: "I noticed some people saying, 'Well this is the real game.' No, that's not the real game—that's poo-poo. That's dead ball-era game"

Wayne Graham, cont'd: "The real game has balance. You can tell that I'm disturbed. I had too many friends say, 'I can't watch this anymore'"

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  2:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really both. There's definitely an issue in college baseball but it seems to be exaggerated at McStadium. I was at the final game and you'd have these deep hits and you wouldn't even leave your seat because you knew it was going out.

They need to change the ball first in my opinion. If you could go back to preconstruction, I'd move in the fences and shrink the foul territory. Unfortunately it's too late for that now.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  2:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UNO averaged 6.5 runs per game in conference play while hitting only 9 HRs (0.34 per game). You don't need homeruns to have exciting games with runs. In 14 of those 26 games the losing team scored at least 3 runs (54%)

But in 14 games at the CWS this year only three of them featured a losing team scoring 3 or more runs (all with 4)... that's awful.

Last year was 4 in 15, 2011 was 5 in 14. Over the 3 years it's a low 28%. That's just too few games where you don't have both teams scoring runs.

It doesn't have to be via a home run, but somehow scoring needs to come up.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Shatel speaks...

quote:
OK, so I went to the Home Run Derby last week at TD Ameritrade. And let me tell you: It's not the fences. Not the park. Not the direction of home plate. Not the baseball seams. It's those ever-loving, ever-radioactive, wired-for-distance bats.

The college kids in that derby faced batting practice pitches. But when they connected, they were launching July 3 rockets into the bleachers and on occasion over the bleachers and into the concession stands. You want our old CWS back? Get the NCAA and Division I baseball coaches to turn back the dial on the aluminum bottle rockets.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130708/SPORTS/707089915

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  12:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those bats aren't coming back. Much safer game for the pitchers now.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  5:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed a lot of the CWS games this year. Just because it was only 5-4 some games or 4-2, etc doesn't make it bad. I actually like watching the outfielders make plays and there were multiple plays close at the plate which was exciting as well.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  10:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't there a happy medium, though?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope so. I'd really like to see them change the seams on the ball first. I like low scoring games better too, would be nice to have a few more HR's and teams that overcome a deficit later in the game. Just a little more drama.

The worst games though were those 18-14 ones in the late 90's at the 'blatt.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  08:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manny Ramirez will be in town with Round Rock to play the Chasers this weekend.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  10:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know Greg! Also agree, when I read Shatel say to bring the bats back I wanted to write in and ask him what he was smoking thinking they would EVER bring those bats back. What kind of sports reporter are you?

It's not that I want 21-14 games either, but the HR is an offensive weapon that in my opinion needs to be a part of the game. Change the balls. But that can't happen till 2015 at the earliest.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  10:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you mean you expect Shatel to say things that are based on any understanding of what's actually going on?

This is the man who thought UNO Basketball was eligible to be in the conference tournament this year... I know it's little UNO High, but c'mon you're supposed to be the #1 sports columnist in town.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  12:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there's your keyword, "columnist". Not reporter or journalist. We live in a bad era for reporters actually looking for facts.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  04:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

And there's your keyword, "columnist". Not reporter or journalist. We live in a bad era for reporters actually looking for facts.

Well put.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  9:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just posting because I want to get this thing to 100 pages...
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  01:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual, admin posts nothing of value.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  08:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still another positive piece on the growth of Sarpy County. Still another reason why putting almost anything, ballpark or otherwise, isn't a bad idea these days.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130712/NEWS2001/707109897/1685#sarpy-county-housing-growth-among-country-s-fastest
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  10:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

As usual, admin posts nothing of value.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  11:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

still another positive piece on the growth of Sarpy County. Still another reason why putting almost anything, ballpark or otherwise, isn't a bad idea these days.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130712/NEWS2001/707109897/1685#sarpy-county-housing-growth-among-country-s-fastest

If I was building a house in Sarpy it's be out near Pennant Place. With the new lake and Werner, plus the access to 370, I think that's the premier location. Those two are great attractions for that part of an already fast growing county.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

If I was building a house in Sarpy it's be out near Pennant Place. With the new lake and Werner, plus the access to 370, I think that's the premier location. Those two are great attractions for that part of an already fast growing county.

Greg

No doubt. I'm only 10 minutes from that area as is, but that immediate pennant place area might be out of my price range as I've read the homes will be in the $300,000 to $500,000 price range. I think it'll support that price range in the long run. There will be so much to do out there.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  08:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the Chaser's game Saturday night. Looks like the first part of the development other than the stadium has begun. I asked about all of the dirt being moved in the area behind the free parking lot and was told that was being prepared for several hundred homes in the $250,00-$400,000 range. Sounds like the Good Samaritan development behind right field is next, and has evolved beyond what was initially planned.

As an added bonus I had Jon and Bridget 2 rows behind me, and the Chaser's won. All in all a great night.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  12:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody else notice all of the Groupons they've been offering lately?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week was the first ones I'd seen. I bought two sets, plus my sister bought some and came down from Lincoln. I didn't realize they'd done this previously.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000