Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the big thing needed is for NU to come in strong and advance. Reasonably priced tickets are the other main factor. The Big 10 tourney traditionally is now well intended and we are not a central location for the other schools. It will be a huge home field advantage for NU. McStadium will engulf the crowds either way.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  12:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think part of the problem with the TD Ameritrade Classic was the perception that Nebraska was struggling this season in baseball. That kept people away more-so than the ticket prices. The prices didn't get any mention until people showed up for that first game.

If the Big Ten keeps ticket prices similar to this year, they'll do fine. $30 for an all-session ticket is a bargain.

Maybe TD Ameritrade Park won't sell out, but it doesn't have to. It's a huge success if some games draw over 10k.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$30 for an all session ticket is a bargain. If NU qualifies for the field, I will buy a pair for that price for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  2:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked into going the first night but just couldn't justify the prices to take my boys.

$30 would be fine.

I think they will do OK as long as NU comes in with a shot, and when they play. Different story if NU is out or not playing.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, no way I'm buying in advance before I know if NU will be there or not. It'd be my luck I'd buy months in advance and then NU would fall flat and not even make the tournament. Of course, I'd hope NU wouldn't have that big of a problem next year. Seems unlikely they wouldn't be there at all, but you never know.

I wonder how far in advance tickets for this would go on sale. If it's earlier than the midway point of next season, they will have a hard time selling tickets that early.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  9:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a news release from the Big Ten that tickets went on sale on April 24th this year.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. good luck to them, but no way I'd buy that early. Can't imagine that presale is very strong.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  02:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But what's the difference how early they go on sale? It's not like putting your tickets out there early is going to hamper sales, it could only increase them. I mean for all it would matter they could put tickets on sale till eternity and if somebody wanted to buy them now for the tournament in 2050, who cares. But if they weren't on sale now for the tournament in 2050, they might not have sold those tickets to the person that wanted them.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  08:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised they don't go on sale earlier. With playing in such an oversized stadium you don't have to worry about buying them in advance but it's fine for people that want to.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  12:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To clarify, I was referring to tickets to this year's tournament in Minneapolis. I wouldn't expect anything for the 2014 Omaha tournament until next spring. One month out is probably fine, though I'd suggest doing it a touch earlier.

If Nebraska has Kubat and Bummer pitching next season, I don't see any way the Huskers don't get to the Big Ten tournament.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree baring defections, NU's pitching will get them to Omaha and a possible Big 10 title.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  2:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree baring defections, NU's pitching will get them to Omaha and a possible Big 10 title.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  10:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the Big 10 does not go back to an MLB stadium soon. I do like the idea of tailoring next year's tourney to NU. Especially putting NU's games at night. Hopefully the Big 10 sees the value in doing this.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130604/HUSKERS/706049849/1001#omaha-hosting-2014-big-ten-tournament-could-improve-attendance

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  12:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Hopefully the Big 10 does not go back to an MLB stadium soon. I do like the idea of tailoring next year's tourney to NU. Especially putting NU's games at night. Hopefully the Big 10 sees the value in doing this.

There are plenty of things the Big Ten can do better next year in Omaha.

But I think the Big Ten will be giving major league facilities more looks. In fact, I'm predicting that the 2015 Big Ten baseball tournament will be at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just hope the Big Ten runs it right. There is a stigma in Omaha that we are an "event town", and I for years thought that to be incorrectly placed most of the time. Look at how terribly the OSC filled the ballpark for hockey. Just because it's a cool event doesn't mean we will pay whatever price and show up no matter what. The event still needs to be promoted, amped up, etc. And it needs to be relevant. The CWS and Swim Trials are anomalies. We have had the CWS for years and the Swim Trial are the US Olympic Trials, you get to watch the best in the world a month before competing on the international stage.

I hope the Big Ten learns from the mistakes and price points set forth by other people who put events on inside the arenas and stadiums around here, and what they have themselves done in the past. It has potential to be a cool tournament, with local relevance, but it won't fill just because Nebraska is in it. Price it right, promote it, and you can get a lot of casual fans in those seats too.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

There are plenty of things the Big Ten can do better next year in Omaha.

But I think the Big Ten will be giving major league facilities more looks. In fact, I'm predicting that the 2015 Big Ten baseball tournament will be at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

Interesting point on Yankee Stadium. I really hope that doesn't happen, talk about getting lost locally. That being said I could see the Big 10 trying it. They are going to go out of their way with the move east with Rutgers and Maryland to have a high profile. It's the main reason I can think of that the Big 10 added the Pinstripe Bowl to the lineup.

Hopefully the tournament doesn't have to fail in another MLB stadium before they abandon the dream but you could be right on Yankee Stadium.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  03:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if they don't have it in a MLB stadium then where do they have it? Probably want neutral locations and probably want that "big time" feel. TD's not MLB but does have that big time feel they would want I'm sure. A place like Werner would be ideal, but not big time enough.

Pants, I also have never understood the "event town" moniker but don't see how the CWS and swim trials are anomalies. It's events like the CWS and swim trials that we have done well that is the reason why we get to do it again and gives us the "event town" title we don't like. I don't like the title because any town would be an event town if it had the CWS. My opinion has been negated slightly recently because the US Senior Open has sold very well. Saw something that said Omaha is one of three cities to have hosted to have done this well.

If anything is an anomaly it's the outdoor hockey game. Hockey just isn't going to sell as well in Omaha. This isn't Canada or Minnesota or Michigan. No matter how that game was priced, it wasn't going to sellout. That game MAYBE is full if outfield seats were $5 and lower deck seats were $30.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  06:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The B1G tournament certainly didn't feel all that "big time" to me when they were playing in Minneapolis, in a 40,000 seat stadium, in front of literally dozens of people for some games. Maybe playing in a MLB stadium felt big time for the players, but it isn't a great atmosphere for the fans. Outside of the NU games (and even those will be half full at best), it's going to be the same scenario next year.

Personally, I like a smaller venue that's correctly sized for the event in question so you can create some atmosphere.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  08:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's plenty of AAA facilities to have it in. I don't think you get a big time feel when you have 1,000 fans in a stadium that seats 40k. Horrible atmosphere and looks even worse on AAA. The Big 12 which has a much better supported tourney tried the MLB stadium experience and quickly learned that's not the way to go for college.

I do think Omaha has earned the event town moniker. You could also add the Champions Tour to the list of well supported events (and the upcoming Senior PGA). The key is that you still need to price and promote the event correctly. The OSC failed miserably at this for the Battle on Ice.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  12:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

The B1G tournament certainly didn't feel all that "big time" to me when they were playing in Minneapolis, in a 40,000 seat stadium, in front of literally dozens of people for some games. Maybe playing in a MLB stadium felt big time for the players, but it isn't a great atmosphere for the fans. Outside of the NU games (and even those will be half full at best), it's going to be the same scenario next year.

Personally, I like a smaller venue that's correctly sized for the event in question so you can create some atmosphere.

Yeah...who cares what the players think?

Listen, it doesn't matter how big the stadium is when only 1500 people show up for a game. They could have played these games at the St. Paul Saints ballpark, and the crowd noise wouldn't have been any better.

But I guarantee you this... Tyler Lubach will be telling people about his game winning home run for year...probably long after Target Field is demolished for another newer stadium.

And the fact he did it on an MLB diamond means something to him. I'm pretty sure of that.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  1:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huge difference between playing with 1500 in the park with 6000 seats and one that holds 40,000. Not only for those in attendance but those watching on TV as well. It would also be nice for the players and fans if the tournament had at least sort of an "event" feel.

I'm still on record as saying this is a failed experiment. I think Mike had something with this thing eventually going 1 year to Yankee Stadium and I could see maybe an attempt at Camdem but it will return to more right sized stadiums, like every other conference, including the ones that have much larger followings than the Big 10.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  8:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree. failed experiment. I'd love to see a poll of the players. I would wonder just how enamored they were by playing in a MLB stadium vs. a place with an atmosphere better than your average library on a Tuesday night. Yeah, I'm sure it's nice to say "I homered in a MLB ballpark," but the memories of a loud active crowd can be just as great.

The Big XII went down this road before by playing in the Ballpark in Arlington for a couple of years. That was another morgue, and the Big XII has never done it again.

TD will certainly be better than Target Field, because as long as NU is there, NU fans will pad the attendance numbers, but it'll still be half full at absolute best, and your Minnesota vs. Michigan game will be just as bad as this year.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  12:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I don't disagree in the least. I'm also willing to bet that an NU game at TD is not even half full.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  12:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep..you guys are right. That's why there is such a push to move the state high school basketball and football championships out of oversized places like Memorial Stadium into "right-sized" high school facilities.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Yep..you guys are right. That's why there is such a push to move the state high school basketball and football championships out of oversized places like Memorial Stadium into "right-sized" high school facilities.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Wonder since we moved out of Rosenblatt if you could say the players would rather be in Wrigley than McStadium?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  1:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wonder since we moved out of Rosenblatt if you could say the players would rather be in Wrigley than McStadium?

Greg

If you ask them, I'd bet they'd say Wrigley... I could be wrong, though.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  2:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple good articles while I was out-of-town:

Development around McStadium:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130614/NEWS/706149898

Large attendance increase at state baseball with part of it at Werner for the first time:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130614/NEWS/706149898
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  9:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  12:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems the owners are still relatively happy with the amount of business they get around CWS time alone to remain there all year. It would be great to see it develop more for sure, but this is a large project, and I do agree it has moved great lengths in a short amount of time. I hope it keeps growing, it's great for the downtown area and look for our city.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  08:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with TD is it's not really an anchor like they initially envisioned when they were looking more to build a minor league park (thought the location was going to be further south and west). Some of the places like Lids don't even open regularly down there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000