2307 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  11:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want it to reach 100 pages, minimum.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  08:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw in the OWH that Sarpy County's fast growth continues. It's one of the 100 fastest growing counties in the US. This is a continuing trend and bodes well for Werner for years to come.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a card (along with other businesses) from Creighton. Similar to Val Pak but the cards were thicker than VC. If you call 402-280-Jays and mention RSVP you will get 4 free tickets to a future game (though when I called I swear the guy said 6). I think CU is having a very challenging time with TD. I will say they are doing this better than UNO in the past in that they gathered my contact info, which I assume they will use to market to me.

I would encourage you to call, free is always good thing in my book.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  1:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I got that card too. Haven't used it. They also send the 2-for-1's a lot in the ValPak books. Being there for the UNO-Creighton game... yea they are not drawing a ton. I'm not sure what their hope is long term. It'll always be incredibly weird looking when they play there but maybe they like the great facility that much.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  11:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to one of their games and there was about 3,000 there. It was a good crowd. Make no mistake, just because it's only 10% capacity of the place does not mean they aren't doing well. 3,000 is fantastic for college baseball.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  11:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3k is great for college baseball, but as you pointed out that leaves 90% of the stadium empty. I was at the Friday night game against Pacific and I don't think they even had 500 people there. It was actually a nice night too.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  8:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever seen the CU Sports Complex? I don't think they could hold 500 there.

I don't know how the economics work out for CU, but a 90% empty TD Ameritrade Park kicks a full CU Sports Complex nine ways to Sunday.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  09:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hope they could make it with 3k paid at TD. Just not sure how many are paying. Plus they've got all of those games where they are not even close to 3k. You do have the NU games though that draw well. Would be interesting to see the financials where they played some at the Sports Complex and a chunk at the 'blatt vs all at TD.

Going to be interesting to see if CU does at the end of their lease. They've got several more years obviously to figure it out. They are more on top of things than UNO was trying to make Qwest/Century Link Center work.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  11:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they are happy at TD. I seriously haven't seen a single point where they complained about. Basketball pays for a lot for them, and TD is basically on campus, why move? I would re-up.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  12:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know at the beginning Mike West said something to the effect of "we've got 3 years to make this work." and I remember him being quoted to the effect of them needing to average about 6k a game in attendance. I don't know what they are getting officially. I don't think it's 6k though. Also, depends on how they think the conference move will help or hurt their attendance. Some of these teams in the Big East are worse than the MVC foes. It might hurt them a bit in RPI and that might affect their attendance. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  4:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 7 years to go you won't hear them complaining. I think they are still trying to make it work. They've got a battle ahead. They've got to be adding bodies at a time when the newness of the stadium tapers off. Mike West and crew are really good at what they do, so I'm not writing them off. They just have a lot of work to do.

I do remember them saying they need to average 6k or more to make it work.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  09:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the Chaser's game last night. Looks like they are full speed a head on the large lake/dam site to the west of Pennant Place. Going to be a lot of dirt moving/development all around the stadium for the next several years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  10:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rough attendance at this weekend's tournament at McStadium. I'd like to see them do it again but maybe price the tickets a little better. I agree with Shatel that the kids tickets probably need to be priced less than the adults. Hopefully NU baseball tries this again.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a tournament down there is a good idea, but I think the weather and high ticket prices hurt them. I mean, I'd go watch a NU game at McStadium, but I don't want to have to pay for CU vs. Rutgers and Okie St. in the process as well.

I think if they are going to do this, bring the prices down a bit, make it a local round robin tourney and have UNO in it as well.

Also, as with alot of other things, I'm not sure this was promoted very well. I follow college baseball closer than the average fan, I'd say; however, I didn't even know there was a tournament downtown until Thursday of last week when friend mentioned it to me. I thought it was just CU vs. NU on friday night in the same game they've always played down there.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  1:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather was great. I do agree it was not promoted very well.

I'd like to see them do this again with better prices. With $20 tickets it would have been rough for me and my boys to go. Then you throw in parking (for Friday's game, free parking should have been fairly close for Saturday/Sunday) and concessions.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  3:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather was great last weekend; however, my point was the weather has been so bad all spring alot of people aren't thinking about baseball at all. Even on nice days. The Storm Chasers had a pretty small crowd on their last Thirsty Thursday and that was a 63 degree day that didn't get cold until the later stages of the game. Much smaller crowd than normal, I'd say.

Yeah, $20 tickets were a deal breaker for me. I had a decision to make. I could pay $20 to watch an underachieving NU play CU, OSU, and Rutgers, or go out to Boys Town and watch the first place UNO Mavericks try to win their first conference title in any sport for free. Boys Town won out easily.

So, if people haven't had baseball on the brain because it's been cold overall, and they don't think they can predict the weather patterns, they weren't likely to buy tickets for the TD Tournament in advance and when they finally found out the weather was nice enough to go, they might have made other plans already.

I think it's enough of a factor to still say the weather affected the tournament overall even though the actual days in question were really nice.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  09:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Random thought, but can we finally declare the Nighthawks dead? I remember last year when they announced they were suspending the 2nd half of the 2012 season, they boasted they'd be back in the spring. We all pretty much laughed at that and said that if they did, it'd have to be at a high school stadium as there was no way Dixon or the NCAA would let them tear up McStadiums turf a month or two prior to the CWS and in the midst of the Creighton season. Well, we're pretty deep into the spring right now (getting closer to summer by the day), and not a peep more about the UFL or the Nighthawks has come out since.

Unless I missed the announcement that they are done permanently, I'd have to say we can just about officially pull the plug, right? Of course, their website is still running, so like a bad disease, you never know when they might pop up again.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  9:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a peep, and from today, no less...
quote:
Hambrecht attorney Kristen Gallagher wrote in court papers that player contracts require pay disputes to be arbitrated by the UFL's Football Advisory Committee, not the courts. Players' attorney Andrew Rempfer said no such committee exists and called the motion "flimsy."

A hearing is set for next month in Las Vegas. The UFL folded in October because of financial problems.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/may/01/fbo-ufl-lawsuit/#ixzz2S68T9ENm

That being said...yes, the UFL is effectively dead.

But then again, I just looked out my window...it ain't spring out there.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  08:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the state baseball tournament back in the Metro. I had forgot how many games it entailed.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got free tickets at work to Saturday's CU game. Announced crowd of just under 3k. Lids in the 'Blatt building was not open (3rd time I've been down to that area recently and that store was closed). Also Zesto's did not seem to be open either? Walked all around and the only thing in that buidling that seemed to be open was the 'Blatt? It was pushing 90 and CU had a Saturday game, and no Zesto's???

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  2:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Got free tickets at work to Saturday's CU game. Announced crowd of just under 3k. Lids in the 'Blatt building was not open (3rd time I've been down to that area recently and that store was closed). Also Zesto's did not seem to be open either? Walked all around and the only thing in that buidling that seemed to be open was the 'Blatt? It was pushing 90 and CU had a Saturday game, and no Zesto's???

Greg

It's tough when you have a 2 week a year facility for businesses that are related solely to ballpark traffic to thrive. After the first year, when people just wanted to check out the stadium, CU has had difficulty drawing anyone to come out and watch their games. Maybe if CU could draw 5-8k a game, which is what they hoped for in 2011, it might help the local businesses. However, they are announcing 3k on many nights and when I've been there over the last 2 seasons, it's closer to 1500 actual, that's just not going to help businesses pay the rent.

If I were a business owner down there, I'd be worried. Yes, the CWS pays alot of bills, but no red sky, no nighthawks, CU is drawing about half of their target attendance, and no promised independent league tenant.

Honestly, I think it's a small miracle that some of those businesses like Lids have hung on as long as they have. But, unless MECA figures something out to fill more dates, I see more empty storefronts down there, and that's just not good for the city.

I realize that I've been down to TD Ameritrade Park twice this year. Once for Battles on Ice and once for a UNO vs. CU baseball game, and I'm a pretty big baseball fan. I probably went three times as much last year, but maybe that's the "new ballpark smell" wearing off. The bad weather didn't help either this year. I only have the CWS and the Home Run Derby left. If not, that's it for the year. Yet, I'll probably make it out the Werner Park another dozen times this summer.

I have friends, who are also big baseball fans, but really aren't into college baseball who haven't set foot into TD in 3 seasons. It's really amazing how underutilized the place is at this point.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  03:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't go so far as to say underutilized. They said all along that they could get along with just the CWS. So it may be underutilized to us, which is a bummer to see it sit like that, but they're using it for what they built it for.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  06:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right. They are using it for what they built it for; however, I'd say underutilized for us AND underutilized for the type of retail business development that's gone in there and that's the point I was trying to make. I'm not sure alot of businesses can operate 365 days a year off of the revenues of a 2 week CWS and very little else. Yes, the Blatt and Lids are close to the arena, but I'm not sure they get the kind of spillover from those events that they need. Hard to say, but I'm guessing some of the companies that went in down there thought they'd be seeing the CWS, 30 dates of CU baseball at 6k a night, 5-6 Nighthawks games, and roughly 40 independent league games per year at roughly 3k a night.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  1:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is of note, however, that a few hotels and things like the slowdown, filmstreams, etc, had been in place prior to talk of a balllpark being built there. It is unfortunate that more cannot be put inside it, but I do think businesses like Blatt knew what they were getting into by picking that spot. I do see it with people after the CU games and it's absolutely packed for the duration of CWS, so as long as they play their finances right, they will be okay.

Even with an average of 2-3 thousand CU fans, I still think that it's better nothing and at least gives it time to find an independent team if they really want it or can find it feasible. It's still only three years in and the park is still finding it's ground even CWS-wise. Think of most multi-million dollar football stadiums. Cincinnati built a $455 million dollar stadium that gets a total of 8 home games. It's utilized 8 days a winter. (and yes, very few select Bearcat games). So if they sellout all 8 home games, they have a total attendance of around 520,000. Where as the $131 million dollar TD Ameritrade Park had a total attendance during the CWS of 320,000 and was utilized for 10 days.

I cannot say for certain, but I feel the city of Omaha and MECA feel that anything outside of the CWS is a bonus. (Even if CU does do very poor). I have no doubt someone is behind the scenes still trying to put what they can inside the park, trying to make more money, be more profitable, etc. But for now, they are probably pretty content just chugging along.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  12:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the CWS attendance figures means more to the Omaha area than most other stadiums. Five years ago, it was estimated that half of the attendees came from outside the Omaha metro. Many of those people are staying in Omaha hotels and eating at Omaha restaurants. So it's generating much economic activity than an NFL franchise would create, because that's money that's being imported to the area. That's why it was so important to make sure the NCAA was happy and kept the CWS in Omaha.

I'd love to see an independent league team downtown. I'm hoping that MECA can revisit this idea once the Northern League lawsuit gets settled.

Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  3:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Actually, the CWS attendance figures means more to the Omaha area than most other stadiums. Five years ago, it was estimated that half of the attendees came from outside the Omaha metro. Many of those people are staying in Omaha hotels and eating at Omaha restaurants. So it's generating much economic activity than an NFL franchise would create, because that's money that's being imported to the area. That's why it was so important to make sure the NCAA was happy and kept the CWS in Omaha.

I'd love to see an independent league team downtown. I'm hoping that MECA can revisit this idea once the Northern League lawsuit gets settled.

Exactly.  There is also the SlumpBuster tournament that coincides with the CWS, bringing in 500 little league baseball teams from around the country.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  4:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that the CWS does bring in a ton of revenue to the businesses surrounding the stadium. Still, it's hard for businesses like Zestos to keep their doors open based only off of 2 weeks. You need to generate some revenue the other 50 weeks a year. I'm sure the slowdown and Centurylink fills some of that gap, but I've also seen places like Lids and Zesto's not open when I've been down there. Just seems like there's a gap there that isn't being filled sufficiently.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  02:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post WestO. I do have a hard time feeling sorry though for those businesses that chose to take out space down there with it being used as little as it is, that is to say, if they are even feeling sorry for themselves. But indy baseball was never definite, the UFL was shaky all the while, and if anybody ever believed Creighton was going to get 6k a game, pass that doobie.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  08:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's hope the Big 10 realizes it's not ready for prime time in baseball. The crowds at Target Field were horrible. Some games there were hundreds, and the championship game had 1,000. The good thing is that it will make next year's tourney at TD look better. Even TD is way too big for this thing. The Big 10 has got to hope that NU comes in on a roll, and make sure tickets are priced reasonably. As we saw this year with the tourney NU put on at TD, if the tickets aren't priced right, even NU crowds won't come as much as we'd previously thought.

The tourney will totally be dominated by NU fans either way. Going to be interesting to see how this goes over with the other coaches. I'm convinced we have not got a final four in volleyball because the other coaches saw it as too much of an advantage for NU.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  10:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, there's a misconception that if you put NU into any event, you can charge whatever you want and get 15k easily. The TD Ameritrade tournament this year showed that is false. The tickets weren't priced correctly and the event suffered.

Maybe the Big Ten Tournament might draw more if people think NU can win a championship, but God help them if NU doesn't make it or is 2 and done. Even if tickets were free, there would be hundreds at TD at that point.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000