Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nouse,

Good question. The annual country festival down in Manhattan, I believe it is, always has flyers tacked up in different places around town here in Lincoln, and I typically see a few ads in the local rag as well. If you're going to have something like that type of music festival, your best bet is to market it not just locally, but regionally as well, to get the type of crowds we're talking about. Be interesting to find out what, if anything, they've done to market the festival outside the Omaha area.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I have not heard any issues for parking or traffic from Monday. One thing that is so improved downtown vs the 'blatt is parking and traffic flow.

Greg

Part of that is because less than 12,000 people were at swimming on Monday. Still, that's 35,000 people downtown.

If they were to expand Rosenblatt to 35,000 people, people still would be stuck in traffic from Monday night's game.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll admit it was silly to ever be worried about 35-45k downtown for swim trials and the cws. It really was.

I thought about it again, and realize, if downtown Lincoln can handle 90k on a saturday afternoon, it's silly to ever worry about whether Omaha could handle 40k.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I have not heard any issues for parking or traffic from Monday. One thing that is so improved downtown vs the 'blatt is parking and traffic flow.

Greg

Part of that is because less than 12,000 people were at swimming on Monday. Still, that's 35,000 people downtown.

If they were to expand Rosenblatt to 35,000 people, people still would be stuck in traffic from Monday night's game.

The parking is so much better downtown. You don't have to worry about being blocked in somebody's yard, walking miles then being stuck in traffic. Really glad how smooth everything went.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  5:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to be interesting how this area develops over the next 5-10 years. I remember seeing a lake in the initial drawing for Werner Park at this site. Cool to see that being a reality:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120628/NEWS2002/706279809/1707

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  4:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happened to look at the B stage lineup for Red Sky. Wow. I know I long since stopped knowing much of anything about mainstream music, but I honestly haven't heard of a single act that's on the second stage. Last year, while the lineup wasn't stellar, I at least had a faint knowledge of alot of those acts even if they were one hit wonders from the 90's. Couldn't even tell you what type of music any of the acts on the B stage play this year. Good God.

Also, when they announced the amazing lineup of Paisley, Rascall Flatts, and Def Leppard/Poison, wasn't there supposed to be announcement on the 4th night headliner, "coming soon." I'm guessing that was supposed to be the Thursday night headliner. Well, without any questioning that I've heard from the local media, they've obviously quietly just killed that night.

Nice job guys. A 3 night festival now spread out over 4 days with underwhelming headliners, no name 2nd stage bands, a cancelled 5th night months ago, and a publicityless scrapped 4th night with no explanation.

Dead Sky is setting the bar even higher this year, I see. (golf clap). I mean, honestly, is there any chance this dead skunk of a "regional music extravaganza" survives to a 4th year or do they just quietly and without publicity kill the whole event next year. That would be the humane thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  10:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did finally give up on the off day. And the side stage acts aren't even Stir Cove quality...but rather just a bunch of bar bands. But they aren't charging admission either for the "B" stage acts.

We'll see how the concerts draw, and after that, MECA needs to figure out what they want Red Sky to become because their current setup isn't working. If they average 15,000 for the three concerts, there's still something worth trying to salvage.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  08:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they will get their 15k average. They do need to do this better. TD needs more events not less.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  1:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But, is 15k average really a win for MECA? At what point does this become less about having an outdoor festival and simply shoehorning concerts into TD Ameritrade that could be held in the CenturyLink Center and competing against yourself? Honestly, isn't the point of an outdoor festival in the middle of July in a venue like TD about bringing in acts they can't get into the arena? Bigger acts that need a venue of 20k+ or guys like Jimmy Buffett that only do outdoor festivals?

This just screams of failure on all fronts. They've had Def Leppard in the arena before. Maybe they are only doing outdoor shows this time, I'm not sure, but 15k for Def Leppard and Poison just seems like an event that could be held indoors more comfortably. I mean, If I'm going to a show, I'd rather be indoors than a generic ballpark. You've got to give me a good reason to forego the air conditioning in July. If they were planning on drawing more than the arena could handle, I'd buy that.

All of these bands have played the arena in the last 5 years or so (except Poison). You're not getting anything unique or different with this. They are simply trying to justify the existence of the ballpark and making you sit outside when indoors would work just fine. Bottom line, if you're happy with Rascall Flatts and Def Leppard in 105 degree temperatures when an air conditioned arena sits next door, fine. However, just remember that the reality of what you're getting for your admission price is a far cry from what was promised when this festival was first announced 2 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll say this... Rascall Flatts and the Def Leppard/Poison show, while good, may only be at the attraction level to draw those numbers now. And I don't necessarily disagree, nouse, that if you're right next to an arena, the last thing you're really thinking is that you want to stand around outside in heat when a place is right next door that would be much more comfortable.

I'll say this right now, though... if Paisley, who is very much a mainstream name draw in the country world, doesn't draw more than 15K... you've been absolutely abyssmal at marketing your product. Not that several of us haven't talked about that already, but just Paisley's name should draw without a hitch in this part of the country. But again... how many are going to come just for the one show? Not sure that a lot of people would.

We'll see how the draw works out. If it's like this week, you may have a lot more, because it's certainly at least decent out, temperature wise. If it heats up again... could be really tough. But they really need to focus in on the Festival, and decide what to do with it. Pick a theme, and go with that, and broadcast it regionally, and I mean in several states, and shoot for the sky on it, no pun intended. If it doesn't attract more... then at least you gave it your best effort, rather than the poor imitation they've done so far.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  3:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 15k a night keeps this thing going for another year. Should not be the goal though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  12:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not one of the shows has reached 10k tickets sold yet. Also, the Paisley show, which is the highest per cap grosser of the 3, is down $4/head this year. Looks like concessions is also shutting the building down after the festival which means they currently don't have good news on any events this fall.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  12:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The World-Herald's music critic adds a little perspective:
quote:
Festivals tend not to be amazing in their first year. Coachella, for example, lost so much money that it took a year off between its first and second events. Kanrocksas, a big festival that debuted last year, isnít on the calendar this year either. Organizers are planning a 2013 show near Kansas City.

With its 2011 debut, Red Sky had some great moments: big bookings, well-attended shows, some great bands. It also had quite a few screw-ups: one missing headliner, Monday to Friday schedule, poorly attended sets, sound problems, some lackluster names.

This year has some popular artists (Rascal Flatts, Brad Paisley and Def Leppard), but the scheduling is screwy (one day off in the middle), the festival is half the size it was last year (three days compared to six) and some of the daytime bands are head-scratchers (Logan Mize, for example, is probably talented, but is he a draw? No.).

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120712/GO/707129983/1182#red-sky-still-hasn-t-found-its-footing

He does disagree with our call for some consistency...
quote:
Diversify the lineup. I thought 2011ís lineup had huge diversity. Country and rock were well-represented. (Hip-hop wasnít, but it was about the only corner of the musical world that didnít make an appearance). Having a bit of everything gives your ticket-buying audience more and more reasons to pay you.

I guess he's saying that rather than target the same audience every night, target a different group each night and spread it out. I don't know if that encourages people to travel to the festival, but it expands the number of people who might attend one day.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  12:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, You target a different group every night if your goal is to get locals to go. You target the same genre for 3-5 nights if you're trying make a name for yourself in a certain scene and get out of towners to make the trek to Omaha. It all depends on what they want this to be.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  1:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go more with the diversified line up. I think you go with one genre you are taking a big leag and need a huge promotional budget to make sure you've get the word out. Would need to be something that folkd can't get elsewhere. The locals would end up picking and choosing. Example you do 4 or 6 days of country, the locals for the most part will just go for their artists and you lose everyone locally that does not like country. Where if you do a 6 day festival and only 2 are country, the locals just probably go both.

If the 10k paid for each day holds true, this thing is hurting. Sounds like free tickets are starting to hit the marketplace.

Also if the concessions people are being told this is the last deal for the year down there, it sounds like no UFL. According to 1620 we were supposed to get an announcement a few weeks ago and it would show they'd fixed their problems, but nothing since then.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The diversified lineup sounds nice... but do you have enough Omahans with those diversified interests to get more than 15K a night with that lineup? Because the likelihood that you're going to draw many from outside the area in for more than a one-off day concert within a six-day event doesn't seem to me to be very high. That really becomes the choice is what direction are you taking the festival? That said, if a diverse festival is what they want, go for it, but MAKE it that, then, and state and show that's your intent. I think that's what most of us here have said is that they need to have a direction, and then take the festival in that direction. Stop dinking around, and figure out what your goal is.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  2:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking diversified by day. You'd probably want two full country days, then go from there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  2:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting... so maybe two, two, two? That might work better than one day of 3, 4, 5, 6 different music styles.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  2:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, exactly. The other thing is you need to have the stage b acts tie in and match better with the main acts that day.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  3:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely. If you're going to have a 'country' day, then have everything themed to that. If it's going to be a 'metal' day or a 'classic rock' day, or a 'hip hop' day, then plan accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  7:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked this
"On a related note, those calling for Red Sky organizers to give up, cancel the festival and the like should cool out and quiet down. Folks, you donít have to go. If you want an indie rock fest so bad, buy tickets to Maha Music Festival.
Besides, Red Skyís stated focus is more akin to Summerfest than Lollapalooza. I donít know what you people were expecting anyway.
Does it really hurt Omahaís musical reputation? Iíve heard many people say that and itís a ridiculous statement. Sorry, but a festival featuring established and popular country and rock acts doesnít hurt the reputation or destroy the history of Maha, Saddle Creek, 311, Bright Eyes, Buddy Miles or anyone else from Omaha."
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  11:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only difference is Summerfest is a thriving regional festival while Red Sky can't even get off the ground and is actually worse in year two vs. year one. poor comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  01:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what they get for trying to start off a brand new "festival" with a 6 day lineup announces a couple months prior to the event. Terrible organizing on Live Nation and MECA's part there. If they really wanted a Summerfest they should have started from the ground up like Summerfest did, also.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  1:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most festivals take time to get themselves going. Even Summerfest crashed in year two, and they completely redid it for year 3 and it's been a success ever since. Coachella also had problems with year two, and Kanrocksas gave up trying for a second year.

The silliest idea I've heard yet is that MECA should just hand over Red Sky to the Maha organizers. Yeah...let's give up on acts that draw 10-15k in favor of acts that draw 5k.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to see what the Maha folks could do with a bigger budget. If you were going to do a alternative day or two I would not mind seeing them involved. Love their lineup this year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  9:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearly 14,000 people for the Rascal Flatts show last night. Not a bad turnout...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  07:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they have some work to do then to get to that 15k average we talked about before. They are behind already.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  12:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that far off.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  1:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody know the attendance for Friday's concert at Red Sky? The article in the paper this morning only said thousands. Thought that was interesting.....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have not seen any attendance number for day 3 either.....

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000