nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  5:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

While Mike never really came out and said he loved the pitchers duels, that is what we are getting.

Uh....
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Home runs are exciting. Fly ball outs are not.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

phrased that wrong. I meant to say, Mike never really said he loved pitchers duels. Yet, pitchers duels are what we are getting, and these games are boring.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  5:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

The Storm Chasers sale is official. It does not mention Gary Green the primary owner, owning other teams. That and Alan Stein being in the new ownership group points to Martie Cordaro and crew remaining. Which would be a very good thing considering the direction of the franchise.

I also like how Warren Buffet pointed to the team being here for the long haul in Sunday's paper.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120618/SPORTS/306189880/1001#new-yorker-buys-storm-chasers

Greg

So, I'm guessing the fact that Alan Stein is in the ownership group is what the previous article meant by "pleasant surprises" associated with the sale? I know he won an award for minor league management in the last year or so. I believe he's thought of rather highly.

That has to be it.

Also, yeah, Buffett pretty much crushed any speculation that the team might move. No reason to think they would anyway.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  9:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more info...and yes, Martie Cordaro is staying.

http://ballparkdigest.com/201206185048/minor-league-baseball/news/buffett-shea-selling-storm-chasers
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  10:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously Stein's "retirement" was to pave his way to become an investor with the new owners. And obviously Stein has committed to Warren Buffett and Walter Scott that the former Royals won't leave the area...hence their investment is no longer needed. Which is something that Buffett told Tom Shatel yesterday...

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  10:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not close on either account West O.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  10:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure Name what the pleasant surprise is. Will be interesting to hear.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

Not close on either account West O.

quote:
Tom Shatel quoted Warren Buffett

They (Royals) can't be moved anyway because of the Sarpy (lease, 25 years). That's the reason Walter (Scott) and I bought it. (They each own 25 percent of the team.) (Omaha) will always have the Storm Chasers now.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. haven't seen the handle metrofan in this thread for months.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't know a whole lot of folks who have insight anymore...but I was under the impression that the team couldn't leave Sarpy for several decades or risk a bazillion dollar buyout penalty. Seems that was confirmed by the OWH today.

Seems like a non-issue/non-story to me. Nobody in their right mind is going to move that thing out of there now...especially after Stein etc did all the heavy lifting and work to get that thing built out there.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  12:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah. and even if the pennant place project gets stalled for a long time, it's still (eventually) going to happen. It may take a while, but while most ballparks suffer from the law of dimishing returns, this one will only likely be more popular as time goes by as more people and things pop up out there. I still remember living in that area in the 90's and there was NOTHING, no houses, anything past 90th. Now, houses go out to 114th. It will happen.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wal-Mart moving into 370 and I-80 was huge to drive traffic to the east...the completion of 370 to 4 lanes by the fall will help as well.

If their attendance was dropping significantly...then I could see some worry...but it's been steady and climbing since they opened.

If anything, they should start making plans to expand it if/when Pennant Place starts to fill up.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  1:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that location will only evolve for the better over time. They are drawing very well now, it will only get better going forward.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI-The Kansas City Royals website is reporting that they have extended their agreement for player development with the Storm Chasers through 2016.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  08:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the review in the OWH about the new Blatt bar/restaurant thing down by the ballpark. That's super awesome to have that down there, and I wish they would put more places like that in the area. Quick question though...

What in the F*** are they going to do the other 350 days a year?

/stillbitter
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  12:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swim trials, Red Sky, concerts, UNO hockey games...

It's two friggin' blocks from the arena.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  12:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swim trials are every 4 years..and USOC has said they probably won't be back in 2016.

Red WHAT festival? Isn't that the little band thing where their family and friends show up and burst into flames on the asphalt?

UNO Hockey I've heard of.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If stuff like Film Streams, the slowdown, and the hotels weren't down there, I'd maybe agree that Blatt/Zesto's might struggle. It's pretty well located like Mike said for anything that's going on in that area. I'm not overly worried about it at this point. If stuff like Goodnight's and REd Mango have managed to survive, this should do ok (i hope).

Also, did you see that Storm Chasers got 6400 there last night? opposite a CWS triple header? I'd say that was alright for them. I was there and I guessed to my wife that they'd announce around 6100. I was close, but it ws slightly better than I thought. I guess I can see where Martie is coming from when he says he wouldn't trade 5 april nights for one June night.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  1:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Red WHAT festival? Isn't that the little band thing where their family and friends show up and burst into flames on the asphalt?

People already forgot the concerts? That drew 15,000 people 3 nights last year? Sure, it may not be bands you like, but those country artists drew a ton, fact.

also, Old Mat does very well year round, as does Goodnights. It is between the two, I think it will be fine.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  1:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes....it's a personal vendetta. That festival was off it's balls awesome and well attended.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110723/NEWS01/707239891/1003
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  12:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish they would just rename it "RedSky Country Music Series" and just own the country title with it. Then maybe you'll draw big name artists in the country area and people will travel for it. I mean, that basically is what it is turning into anyway, just own it. Country music may not be what me or my friends listen to, but they constantly pack CenturyLink Center and its popular music in this area.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except Def Leppard and Poison are going to be there.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  7:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

Except Def Leppard and Poison are going to be there.

Can't get more country than that Mister - and that country is the Gosh Darn. U S of A.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I wax my El Camino and comb out my mullet

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  11:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red Sky suffers from a lack of focus and cohesiveness. MECA would be well advised to find a theme and run with it rather than try metal one night, country another, and then throw a couple of alternative bands in the parking lot.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  07:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lack of focus to one might mean variety to another. I mean what person wants to go to a concert 5 nights in a row. So if you have the same thing every night you're appealing to the same crowd every night and your numbers will dwindle.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best festivals draw people from out of the area because there are a bunch of concerts they want to attend. It becomes a tourism draw filling hotels and restaurants.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  08:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody catch that the Chaser's drew 26k last week over 4 days? That was pretty impressive with the CWS in town.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But you'll also notice most of the best music festivals have a common theme to their acts, at least the ones that seem to sustain themselves over time. They're not a hodgepodge of different types of music. Really have to agree with others that have called for a common theme over the course of the Red Sky Music Festival. And I believe that type of festival would be more apt to do what Mike was suggesting, which is that it would draw people from outside the Omaha metro area. Fans of whatever type of music would be more likely to come and stay if they knew they were in for a few nights of the type of music they like.

And Greg, that's a fantastic draw for that team. Good to see them continue their success from last year.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  12:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Anybody catch that the Chaser's drew 26k last week over 4 days? That was pretty impressive with the CWS in town.

Greg

That is very impressive. I bet if you had told the average Omaha sports fan from even 10 years ago that that could happen it would probably have blown their 2002 minds.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  12:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huskermavfanchuck

But you'll also notice most of the best music festivals have a common theme to their acts, at least the ones that seem to sustain themselves over time. They're not a hodgepodge of different types of music. Really have to agree with others that have called for a common theme over the course of the Red Sky Music Festival. And I believe that type of festival would be more apt to do what Mike was suggesting, which is that it would draw people from outside the Omaha metro area. Fans of whatever type of music would be more likely to come and stay if they knew they were in for a few nights of the type of music they like.

And Greg, that's a fantastic draw for that team. Good to see them continue their success from last year.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House

I agree with you and Pants.

They need to just own it and make it a country festival. That, as Mike said, is the only way to get people to come from out of town and have Red Sky be their destination for 3-5 days. If you have hodgepodge acts strewn together, people might show up for one day, but how motivated are they to drive from Des Moines or KC for one show whether it be country, pop, rap, or classic rock.

If you go with a consistent theme and stick with it, people take notice and say, "whoah, omaha is where I want to be to get my country fix next month. Pack up the kids and book a week of hotel rooms, we're going to Omaha." One random Jason Aldean show in a week worth of other shows mayb makes them say, "eh. he'll be in KC sometime soon I'm sure."

Also, if they want this to be a regional draw, has MECA and the promoter really done anything to market the "festival" in Des Moines and KC? tv ads, radio ads, newspaper ads? I wonder, but I kind of doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  11:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not heard any issues for parking or traffic from Monday. One thing that is so improved downtown vs the 'blatt is parking and traffic flow.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000