Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It grew on me pretty quick after initially not liking it.

I gave in and bought a hat and a t-shirt.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  12:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

This obsession with playing games in the smallest facility available is fascinating.

Sometimes you want to play games at a facility that speaks to the "next level". That's why Nebraska holds their state football championships at Memorial Stadium instead of Seacrest or UNO.

I think if you ask any player in the B1G which stadium they would prefer, Target Field and Ameritrade would win out handily over BFE. It represents where they want to be.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

There were 300 people at NU's game yesterday in the 1st round. About 1200 total for the day. Will be interesing interviewing the players at these type of games on the atmosphere with 38,000 empty seats around them. Or 24,000 empty seats in Omaha.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  12:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sat behind home plate at Ameritrade the other night. Bob Kerrey bridge behind left field. If you sit down the third base line, you've got downtown and the mural.

And this is where Martie Cordaro reminds you that if you bring your binoculars, you can see downtown from BFE as well. But it kind of comes off like Tina Fey imitating Sarah Palin...

("I can see Russia from my house!")

It's just background. I've been to a bunch of stadiums, including the post-Camden ones where they've tried to "frame" things in the background. I'll be honest. I spend maybe a minute total looking at these things. The Kerry Bridge is nice, and I was/am a supporter of it, but it's not that distinctive. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at it when I'm at TD. Again maybe a minute, tops. This is out of 3 hours or more in the stadium. Omaha has a decent skyline for a city it's size but it's not something I spend a lot of time looking at when I'm down 3rd base at TD. I don't think it exactly takes the breath away for out of town visitors. It's not like it has the Arch or anything signature about it.

That's one nod I'd give the 'blatt for. The Desert Dome appearing during the CWS. It was easy to see from the seats, showed up a lot on ESPN, and Omaha is known for it's zoo. Nothing similar downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to about half the current MLB stadiums and I think a cityscape can add a ton to the experience. Maybe not as much for the locals, but for out of towners like me in a MLB park it can be spectacular. Of the ones I've been to, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Cleveland come to mind as signature views from the grandstand. However, I just don't think that Omaha has that one amazing view like you get with the arch in STL or the Clemente bridge in Pittsburgh. The Bob Kerry bridge is ok, but you can only see it from some of the seats. The downtown Omaha skyline is not distinctive in the least. The almost brutalist buildings like the Omaha World Herald building do nothing for me sitting in the park. You can barely see OMaha's only signature building the FNB tower and you can only see the skyline at all if you're down the 3b line. TD doesn't open up to the city the way some other parks do.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  12:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the best skyline, it has come a long way in the past 10 years, but I will say I enjoy it better than the nothing that is out at Werner. That being said, it's just a view. I enjoy it, but to each their own in that aspect.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  10:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go to watch the game. Product is better in Sarpy.

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  12:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

It grew on me pretty quick after initially not liking it.

I gave in and bought a hat and a t-shirt.

This is one area I was wrong. I was very public in stating I wanted them to keep the Royals name. Was not a huge fan of the Storm Chasers name initially. Since then, I've bought two hats and a sweatshirt for me, my kids both have shirts and wife has one as well. I think the whole time they were the O Royals I bought one hat. It's nice that Omaha has their own identity and obviously it's worked for them.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  12:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Werner would be pretty sweet for Summit League tourny, too. How long until that happens?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If UNO ends up playing at Werner I would think they would bid on the conference tourney as well. Will be interesting to see if UNO plays more games at Werner or just 1 or 2 a year like they've been doing.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump.

This thread better reach 100 pages before we all grow old
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a bump...

http://ballparkdigest.com/201206084998/at-the-ballpark/the-front-office/omaha-storm-chasers-on-the-verge-of-sale

quote:
It's an open secret the Omaha Storm Chasers (Class AAA; Pacific Coast League) have been on the market, but it now appears a sale of the team is imminent.

The purchasers, which includes an investment banker already with an ownership stake in a short-season A team, is in the final round of negotiations to buy the team, despite scuttlebutt that a sale has already been consummated.

And then there is this little teaser:

quote:
There may also be some pleasant surprises associated with a sale, we hear.

Pleasant from whose perspective, I would ask. I'd also be curious whether Martie Cordaro would stay in Omaha following the sale. He was hired by Bill Shea's ownership group, which is presumed to be the group selling. You have to give Cordaro a lot of credit for reinvigorating the franchise

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unless Martie gets another job offer of Shea has controlling interests in other teams and decides to take him with him, I don't see why he'd leave.

I'm curious as well to see what surprises there are...
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while we're talking about the local baseball scene...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oakland-tribune/ci_20799024/oakland-tribune-june-8-letters-editor

Shatel hinted at this in his column sunday. The Oakland A's to Omaha?

This must be where he got his info...

quote:
Surprise, surprise; interest in the Oakland A's relocation has reached Omaha, Neb.

Ever since Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announced he was open to the possibility of the A's leaving the Bay Area, the talk on local radio here in Omaha is how nicely the A's would fit into our new downtown baseball park.

Currently, TD Ameritrade Park is idle for most of the year except for two weeks of the College World Series.

If A's owner Lew Wolff won't sell the team to local Warren Buffett, I think he should just up and move to Omaha; he'd love our city and our world-class ballpark.

Ricky Fulton

Omaha, Neb.

A's would be a great addition to Omaha, but...

A little disingenuous of Shatel for him to take a letter to the editor in a Bay Area newspaper and suggest that meant there was "chatter" of the A's to Omaha. If I suggest on this message board that the Cubs franchise will replace the Royals in Sarpy County, does that constitute "chatter"?

Honestly though, since Shatel brought this up, MLB in Omaha stands about 0% chance of ever happening. You can bully around a minor league team, make them pack up and leave for a month, but do you honestly think any MLB franchise would EVER agree to being out of their own facility for at least 2, maybe 3 weeks. no way. So, while some might think it's a fit, it really, really isn't. Also, teams have relocated for a couple of weeks for stuff like the Olympics (Atlanta 1996 comes to mind), but not every year. That's a once in a lifetime thing.

Even if you got an owner to pony up for 15k extra upper deck seats, it's not going to happen. Said owner (or the city of omaha more likely) would have to spend at least $100 million to make TD MLB ready because no matter how much some like to say TD is big time, it's light years away from a MLB facility.

Now, if the A's ever became a ward of MLB like the Expos did, I could certainly see TD being a viable ballpark for a part of the schedule like when the Expos split time between Puerto Rico and Montreal. I bet Omaha sells out a package of 15-20 games quite nicely. Beyond that, it's not going to work.

There's also the notion of the territorial rights. I'm betting since Omaha is only 175 miles from KC and we lack the population density of some other areas, KC would have something to say about Omaha getting a franchise. I'm sure they consider us their feeder market and while I haven't seen a map in a few years, I'm sure it would get stuck in the same limbo that has kept the A's from moving to San Jose.

If they got it done though, it would end minor league baseball in Omaha for sure. I guess it could be Rogers revenge on Sarpy County. ha.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  1:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, IMO if Omaha ever wanted to shoot to be "Major League" in something, they should work with CU to expand Morrison Stadium. I think if you filled out the entire grandstands on both sides, Omaha could probably think about landing a MLS team. I feel with the size of the stadiums in that league and the usual attendance, Omaha could conceivably fill that niche market nicely.

NFL? never
MLB? probably not
NHL or NBA? possible, but not likely.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

unless Martie gets another job offer of Shea has controlling interests in other teams and decides to take him with him, I don't see why he'd leave.

Maybe the new owners have their own people they want in charge.

Maybe Shea has plans to use the money for another project...and might want Cordaro for that...

Don't know anything. I just assume a change in ownership could also mean a change in management.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

NFL? never
MLB? probably not
NHL or NBA? possible, but not likely.

NHL? Absolutely never.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  3:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be worth it just to hear the meeting notes of Roger and Bud Selig meeting. The brainpower of those two men in a single room could power a small lantern.

Shatel is right about one thing...Okie City has completely turned around the notion of a big league team making it in a smaller market. Hell, I would have given Mike and Joel a better chance holding a "Romney 2012" sign at 72nd and Dodge over a craphole like OKC becoming the hottest ticket in the most expensive league around. That said, I would NEVER say NEVER on anything these days (Except for the Red Pie in the Sky festival to bring in U2....that still cracks me up).

A good point also on the territorial rights...but MLB has shy'd away from that quite a bit over the years. You can see the Oakland Colliseum from across the bay and Baltimore is less than 20 miles from the Nat's home stadium. I'm sure if they had a BIG TIME owner like Buffett (who only cares for sports when he can trot Husker cheerleaders out in front of his googly eyed minions at his little festival thing)...MAYBE MLB would consider it. But who knows.

The NHL and NBA would never come here (Pretty sure) because KC has a newer/bigger arena than we do sitting empty without a college basketball or hockey team playing in it.

The NFL? That's laughable as the line to get any NFL franchise would be a mile long...including cities overseas.

PS - The soccer team would be a great addition...as KC has proven to be one of the better success stories in the MLS. Long shot as well...but I could see it working here perhaps.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AJ:

MLB sends mixed signals on territorial rights. They put the Expos in DC, but that was because MLB was tired of owning the team, DC had precident as a former MLB city, and they wrote Peter Angelo a huge check. Yet, 5 years later when the A's announced they wanted to move to San Jose, MLB has since let them swing in the breeze for 3 years on whether they will be allowed to move into the Giants territory. So far, it's looking like MLB may say no and that's why silly ideas like the A's to Omaha even gets floated in the first place. So, it's hard to say.

Still, it's a fact that the Royals aren't the model of fan support and they do depend on the Nebraska market to an extent for support. I'm just not sure they'd want to kneecap KC by taking their AAA city away from them and at the same time undermine one of their biggest supportin markets. It might actually kill the Royals in KC. Is the juice worth the squeeze for MLB? possibility kill the royals just to have mediocre support in Omaha. nah. Either way, the NCAA will never allow a team in TD. So, it's a moot point anyway.

You're right about the NBA and NHL. Omaha is way behind KC in terms of getting a team both in having a pro ready arena and market size. Never gonna happen.

I was listening to Unsportsmanlike Conduct this afternoon and they were talking about this. They didn't think MLS had a chance in Omaha. I still maintain it's Omaha's only chance. I don't think it works if the city has to build an entirely new arena somewhere in the city. But, I think if CU could create some type of revenue sharing arrangement (like what UNL and the Salt Dogs did, but on a bigger scale) to double the size of Morrison Stadium, it could be a benefit to CU. CU might lose a little ambiance for their games, but the potential growth of the game in this region could be huge.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  08:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MLB is brutal on territorial rights right now. No mixed signals. The Nationals are fighting the deal they signed right now saying they should be getting more TV dollars and a higher percentage of ownership in the TV network that carries both teams. It's ugly out in California on this issues, and territory rights are why the A's don't have a San Jose stadium yet.

MLB is the toughest sport for small market teams, now way MLB would have the smallest of small market teams carved out of another small market teams territory. Plus do you really think a MLB team wants to vacate for the CWS? How does the NCAA react to the stadium being redesigned with something else in mind?

No way Omaha builds a billion dollar TV stadium, let alone gets a team. Too many larger markets that would get in line.

NHL and NBA would be a huge stretch. I'd rarely go to NBA. I'd love NHL but the ticket prices would be a huge sticker shock for the locals.

If we did do MLS they could not do it by doubling Morrison. You'd have to start from scratch. Morrison is great for college but when you compare it to Livestrong Park down in KC, you'd have to start over. You could not just double the size. When you see the suites, club seating, lounges, amenties and such.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe the new owners have their own people they want in charge.

Maybe Shea has plans to use the money for another project...and might want Cordaro for that...

Don't know anything. I just assume a change in ownership could also mean a change in management.

Not sure if the new owners have their own people but I would think that with things going so well out there, why mess with it? That franchise is on a roll right now. We all saw there attendance so far and 30,000 more tickets sold going into the summer.

We'll have to wait and see. I would imagine Martie and crew would be in demand based on their track record here.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg's exactly right on Morrison. You'd basically want to start from scratch. MLS is really looking for strong local commitment to teams at this point. Not saying Omaha couldn't/can't develop that, but you'd really want a team to have their own stadium in that respect. Livestrong is an incredible piece of work down in KC. Stunning place really, and that plus where Sporting KC are right now as a team is a real testament to what a local ownership group can do when they put their mind to it. Glass really needs to take note. I wish a strong KC ownership group would step forward and offer Glass the necessary money to buy the Royals. They really haven't been the same since Kaufmann died. Sad really, knowing how competitive that team was. They've tried to build from the ground up, but unfortunately don't have the money to keep the products of the strong minor league system they've built. That, and the Royals really need a stadium upgrade. I love the K, and always have. Have a lot of fond memories. But putting more money in that place is pouring it into a sinking ship.

Ah well... it's fun to talk about, but the likelihood is very small that any of the major leagues will come. Not non-existent... but small. And I definitely agree with nouse about baseball. Just not going to happen. No one will want to have to have a road trip like that every year, and I'd be amazed if MLB would want to schedule like that on a regular basis. Just doesn't seem wise or even feasible.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  12:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S
Not sure if the new owners have their own people but I would think that with things going so well out there, why mess with it?

Then why would Shea be looking to sell?

I don't know why either. I just don't assume that the new owners won't have their own plans for the future of the team.

I have my own cynical thoughts on it, of course. (Most humorous is that the new owners will proclaim the Trailer Park too small for AAA baseball...) But it's just that...speculation. And I know that new owners typically want their people - people they are comfortable with - in charge.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The smartest thing I heard on 1620 yesterday was some guy saying the politics of the CWS and King Husker Football will never allow any Major League sport like the NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. to come into Omaha.

Think about it, the CWS and the Huskers depend on one of the smallest population bases in the country to shell out higher than national market value for their events. Let's just say we get an NBA team and people wildly buy in at $40-$200 per game for 41 games a year. Let's say it's a smashing success. Well, there's only so much money to go around in this small market.

If people start paying $500-$1000 on season ticket packages for the NBA, maybe there isn't enough left over for another $600-$1000 on Husker football or CWS season ticket packages. If NU has a few mediocre seasons like they've had in the last decade and said NBA team was doing well, it could be an easy decision for a consumer.

USC had a season ticket holder for the Thunder on and he mentioned how the NBA has killed the rabid college atmosphere in OKC and Oklahoma in general. Sooner basketball attendance is down and so is OSU. NU basketball is trying to dig itself out with a new arena. I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy about playing 3rd fiddle to a NBA team. Hard to sell season ticket packages. CU would see a decrease as well. I'm betting the Jesuit Mafia and the NU people would fight tooth and nail to avoid a NBA or NHL team coming to town.

MLS might still fly under their radar as it's a niche sport, but even that might take away from our other sports by taxing the entertainment dollar. So, if you want Omaha to be Major League, fine. I get that. Just understand it likely would be to the detriment of NU athletics, CU athletics, UNO athletics, Storm Chaser baseball, and possibly the CWS.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  1:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Greg S
Not sure if the new owners have their own people but I would think that with things going so well out there, why mess with it?

Then why would Shea be looking to sell?

I don't know why either. I just don't assume that the new owners won't have their own plans for the future of the team.

I have my own cynical thoughts on it, of course. (Most humorous is that the new owners will proclaim the Trailer Park too small for AAA baseball...) But it's just that...speculation. And I know that new owners typically want their people - people they are comfortable with - in charge.

I don't know why he would be selling. There could be a thousand reasons and many might not be about baseball.

I would assume the asking price is pretty high considering the success of it. I think the two factors in that are Martie and his staff, along with the venue, Werner Park.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  4:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The SC's don't own Werner Park...Sarpy County does. (Just a reminder)

I would guess Stein would want to sell because he and his owner are a) old and b) are selling high. They got through the sea of BS from the last few years and now want to take that legacy and run. I get that. Plus, as was said earlier, there might be 1,000 other non-baseball related reasons why they would sell. Why did the UP sell back in 2000 Mike? Non-baseball reasons for sure.

As for the park being too small...that's pretty absurd considering there's no way they would get that past the voters...especially with them still trying to sell Pennant Place. (And yes, it is too small..but that's besides the point.) Besides, the park could be easily upgraded with seats in any direction...although Mike you would probably have to actually go to a game there to see how they would do it.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  6:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the suspense of the "pleasant surprises" is killing WOM. I'm sure he does hope that the sale of the team includes bulldozing the Ballpark at BFE and moving the team downtown.

I wouldn't wager on that though.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  7:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, chasers showed off the initial mock up of the bob gibson statue that is to be installed at Werner next year. Nice to see that they are using some of the ample available space out there to honor nebraska baseball legends like Gibson. I'm hoping they do something like a brick paver program. I'd likely donate.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  9:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know the suspense of the "pleasant surprises" is killing WOM. I'm sure he does hope that the sale of the team includes bulldozing the Ballpark at BFE and moving the team downtown.

I wouldn't wager on that though.

Bulldozing BFE isn't going to happen. It's a sunk cost. Moving the team downtown is only ever-so-slightly more plausable. Shea's ownership group has 23 more seasons left on their deal with Sarpy County, and I assume that there is a fairly stiff penalty to break that deal. The likelihood is probably somewhere around me having five numbers correct on tomorrow's PowerBall drawing.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  08:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be crazy for anyone to make that move anyway. Werner Park is perfect for minor league baseball. McStadium was built for the CWS is not suitable for minor league baseball. The only people that would benefit from buying the Chasers and as owners moving them DT would be MECA.

I was happy to see the Gibson statue moving forward. When I was a kid I went to Bob Gibson Day at the Civic.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  12:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should do a Grover Cleveland Alexander statue 2nd. Those are the two greatest lifelong Nebraska players in baseball history. Alot of other guys that are said to be Nebraskans in the hall of fame were only born here like Wade Boggs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000