Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  10:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least Creighton has a really good deal at TD Ameritrade, and I'm sure the players and staff love playing at that field compared to the CU Baseball Complex or whatever it's called.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they have a really good deal. Didn't I see somewhere that they have to pay 10k right up front for every game? Not sure if they get any concession or parking money either.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  11:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say $10,000 for a game at that ballpark, fully staffed, operating costs, video board and crew costs, etc is a pretty good deal. Those place costs money and if they really are selling $2,000 tickets a game, just $5 a pop covers that cost. I'm sure it's worth it for Creighton just to have that nice field and play in a nice, new stadium. Again, bet their coaches and players like it a lot more than this: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics10/400/CW/CWQRJCVUXNNCJPK.20090512200859.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose those, judging by a lot of the things said about Omaha, the teams, etc that I am just more of an optimist. I'd like to think Creighton or their marketing team, athletic team, whatever, wouldn't have signed that deal if they thought they were getting completely ripped off or that the positives didn't outweigh the negatives. If they hated it, I bet they'd be female doging a lot more.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a lot up front especially if they are not getting concessions and parking, or even just a small cut of those. I don't think you will see Creighton openly complaining. If they do not get the crowds in the next five years, you might start hearing about it. Similar to UNO.

I think I've been to a total of 6 games this year. The only one I paid to attend was the NU game. I got my company tickets a couple times and a few give aways. The NU game was the only one that had a good crowd. The KU game was decent but I think a bunch of people got in free with passes from UBA.

I think the players and coaches probably like it. I will say at a couple of their Saturday conference games though, the crowd was so small though it was hard to hear them. Seemed really empty.

For such a new facility it's amazing how fast the crowds have shrunk. If they were winning it would help, but how much. Mike West and co clearly have a lot of work to do. This is why the Chasers were eager to move to a stadium that fit and had amenities for the fans. Without those, you need a really sweet lease deal to make it worthwhile. One thing I think we can all agree on, MECA does not give out sweetheart leases....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  12:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

That's the problem with TD. Creighton is 18th in the country in attendance (very, very good for a northern mid-major) and they average 21,000 empty seats a game. I assume they will have 10k plus tonight. Huge challenge for Mike West and his crew. It's a rough lease they have there as well.

Mike and I have both said in the past, they need to put up some inflatables or something on that outfield wall. My youngest now passes when I get free tickets (he does not care if I have to pay or not). He only wants to go to Werner Park or Kauffman. It's been a while since I took him to Haymarket but with their outfield area, he'd be fine there as well. Not sure how much more they can draw if they make it fan friendly, but they need to do something.

Greg

yeah, TD is made for large crowds only. It's a clean,comfortable, sterile place to watch a game, but if you're not a baseball purist like me, you need more.

CU capitalized last year on the perfect storm: people wanted to see the new ballpark before the CWS and CU had its best team in a generation. On top of that, they gave away tickets like they were printing money.

I get what they were trying to do. They wanted to build an atmosphere by getting 7k a night, but as I mentioned last season, it was smoke and mirrors for the most part. Now that the free tickes are tighter and the team isn't good, even their decent crowds are engulfed by that ballpark.

I know some insinuated last year that CU drawing 7k a game while the OSC was drawing 4500 was somehow proof that baseball downtown was where its at and the ballpark in Sarpy was a failure in year one. Well, I wonder if they feel the same way now that CU's attendance has plummetted and the Chasers continues to grow.

In any event, I'd rather have 4500 paying customers in a good venue than 2500 paying customers and 5000 freebies and still only have the park half full. That model, as the O Royals learned many years ago is unsustainable. If people realize free tickets are plentiful, what reason does anyone have to ever pay for a ticket? Either wait for a game with a ton of freebies or just stay home.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Missouri Vally picked Illinois State over McStadium for next year's conference tourney. MECA was giving them priority over the Big 10, now that the MoValley has chosen, I would think it would increase the odds for having the tourney here.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kinda stings a bit to get shot down by a 2nd rate conference like the Mo Valley. I'm sure they'll try to spin it as though it was there decision, that they told the Valley no, and that they wanted the B1G tourney more anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  11:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was too big a stadium for the Mo Valley tourny and Creighton fans don't draw like Nebraska fans. I will say, it sounds like a lot of the players loved playing there though.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  07:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

It was too big a stadium for the Mo Valley tourny and Creighton fans don't draw like Nebraska fans. I will say, it sounds like a lot of the players loved playing there though.

Well, what happens if NU doesn't make the B1G tournament? That was a realistic scenario up until the final weekend of the regular season this year. Thankfully, NU made the field, but can you imagine a B1G tourney at McStadium without NU? wow.

Also, NU fans have proven they will support NU baseball in Omaha when they are winning. In years where NU and CU are good, they've gotten 20k+ for that game at Rosenblatt or TD. This year, with NU and CU both down to an extent, they had about 10k for each game. Not great.

I still maintain that Werner is a better venue overall for the B1G tournament.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  11:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could see the B1G 10 giving TD a shot first now that the MVC did not chose to return to TD. NU would draw well downtown. It will be a fiasco though if NU does not make it. It will also be incredibly empty even when NU is there for the games NU is not involved in. Werner Park is a better fit.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  12:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Werner Park is a better fit.

Maybe for the ambiance during the games themselves...but there are a lot of other reasons against choosing BFE. Does the Trailer Park have four locker rooms so that the teams in the second game can get ready to play during the first game? Don't think so.

Where do fans go before/after the game? Arby's in Gretna?

Where do fans stay? Omaha. I mean, c'mon. Sarpy County actually lists the Hillside Motel in Bellevue on it's list of nearby accomodations?
http://www.wernerpark.com/lodging.php

I don't know what kind of financial package MECA can put together for the Big Ten. Their track record isn't the greatest, and Sarpy County and MECA can (and will) underbid them.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the 55 fans that the other 5 teams send combined would figure something out to do. It's a non-issue to me. We hosted the CWS at Rosenblatt, for god's sakes, for over 50 years. There is what, one hotel within 3 miles of the Blatt? Yet, the tens of thousands of fans that attended that event figured out where to go for entertainment and where to stay. This is small potatoes by comparison. You know 95% of the fans in attendance would be coming from Omaha anyway. Don't kid yourself.

Also, I imagine that all 5 teams and the 10 fans each brings would stay at the LaVista conference center. Maybe you've heard of it out there in West O. It's got 2 hotels and is .5 miles from the field. Just a quick run down 132nd.

The lack of extra locker rooms is a good point though.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  2:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The B1G has picked a venue, and decided that TD Ameritrade Park wasn't big enough either. They apparently picked Target Field in Minneapolis.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected.

2013 is at Target Field.

2014 is downtown at TD Ameritrade Park.

https://twitter.com/Huskers/status/203561494439399424

quote:
.@BigTenConf announces that 2013 #B1G Baseball Tournament will be held at Target Field in Minneapolis and in 2014 in #OMA at TD Ameritrade

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  2:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the most important part is the ambiance at the game, not the before and after. The game should come first. It's not like they have to stay out there, although I think you're forgetting the big hotels out by Cabela's...The Embassy and Courtyard. Plus you've got the West Omaha ones. When the CWS comes to town they don't all stay in NoDo, and at Rosenblatt it wasn't like the first choice in hotels was the Comfort Inn at 13th and I 80. I know teams have stayed out at the artist formerly known as Crowne Plaza in Old Mill and the Marriott for the CWS. The B1G 10 could do the same.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  2:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I stand corrected.

2013 is at Target Field.

2014 is downtown at TD Ameritrade Park.

https://twitter.com/Huskers/status/203561494439399424

quote:
.@BigTenConf announces that 2013 #B1G Baseball Tournament will be held at Target Field in Minneapolis and in 2014 in #OMA at TD Ameritrade

The good thing is after Target Field, McStadium won't look near as bad sizewise. I remember the Big 12's ill fated move into the Ballpark at Arlington. It was not long before they went back to Bricktown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  3:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the most important part is the ambiance at the game, not the before and after. The game should come first. It's not like they have to stay out there, although I think you're forgetting the big hotels out by Cabela's...The Embassy and Courtyard. Plus you've got the West Omaha ones. When the CWS comes to town they don't all stay in NoDo, and at Rosenblatt it wasn't like the first choice in hotels was the Comfort Inn at 13th and I 80. I know teams have stayed out at the artist formerly known as Crowne Plaza in Old Mill and the Marriott for the CWS. The B1G 10 could do the same.

They could, but let's not forget most of those West O hotels are closer drive to NoDo than BFE. As well as restaurants.

Eric Olson of the AP said this was a move by the Big Ten to change the image of B1G baseball.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  4:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They could, but let's not forget most of those West O hotels are closer drive to NoDo than BFE. As well as restaurants.

Eric Olson of the AP said this was a move by the Big Ten to change the image of B1G baseball.

The difference is neglible. From the Marriot to Werner 12 miles. Marriott to TD on Dodge 8, on 680 (which most people would go) it's 14 miles...

They are not lacking in eating options either out there. Plenty around Cabela's and a bunch when you go east on 370 (including Shadow Lake).

The B1G at Target Field is going to be a fiasco attendance-wise. You are going to see a sea of empty seats. I think their total tournament attendance record is 12k, not one game for the entire tournament.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  6:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Target Field is laughable, TD will look better by comparison, but in reality it'll be a mess as well. They will likely have to give away about 15k tickets to make the place look full. We'll see. And, as I said, God help them if NU doesn't make it in 2014.

In any event, I'm glad Omaha landed the event no matter which venue got it. Like most baseball fans in the area, I'm likely to buy tickets to the NU games. For the rest of the event, I'll probably just stay home.

The Mo Valley Tourney last year was a terrible event. Even the championship game had about 7k there.

Ultimately, I think the B1G may learn quickly that you don't change the culture of your league just by booking the biggest venue you can find. They are still years away from anyone filling either Target or TD.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  10:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This obsession with playing games in the smallest facility available is fascinating.

Sometimes you want to play games at a facility that speaks to the "next level". That's why Nebraska holds their state football championships at Memorial Stadium instead of Seacrest or UNO.

I think if you ask any player in the B1G which stadium they would prefer, Target Field and Ameritrade would win out handily over BFE. It represents where they want to be.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  11:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This obsession with playing games in the smallest facility available is fascinating.

Sometimes you want to play games at a facility that speaks to the "next level". That's why Nebraska holds their state football championships at Memorial Stadium instead of Seacrest or UNO.

I think if you ask any player in the B1G which stadium they would prefer, Target Field and Ameritrade would win out handily over BFE. It represents where they want to be.

Yeah, because NOTHING speaks "next level" like 22,000 empty seats during a Northwestern vs. Indiana B1G tournament game.

Honestly, I'm not really all that concerned where the players want to be and I'm sure they probably really don't give a damn as long as they are there to play for a championship. Remember, Werner Park is a palace compared to the facilities teams like Northwestern, Indiana, and Iowa call home.

Also, I'm the one shelling out money to go to the games (and can vote with my wallet if I don't think the experience is worth the cost) I'll go to the games as I like baseball, but I prefer a loud intimate venue.

I just find TD Ameritrade Park to be a boring, generic, any-town USA ballpark at best. At worst, I pretty much see the place as a blunder of antiquated architecture that leagues like MLB have all but eradicated from existence. I really have nothing good to say about the place. On the inside, it integrates all of the worst aesthetics of places like Oakland Coliseum and RFK Stadium.

Only one year in, I'm not hearing the people of Omaha as enamored with TD as they were when it opened. They certainly haven't been filling CU games this season.

So, it's not about picking the smallest facility. It's about picking the place that's the most enjoyable baseball experience and Werner beats McStadium every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

We'll see how it goes. The Mo VAlley (a superior league to the B1G most seasons) was given first right of refusal and rejected "the next level" to put their event in a ballpark that was more conducive to showcasing their product. TD is about 6 sizes to big for anything but the CWS and that's the bottom line. I just don't know if it'll work out so great for for the B1G either.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Missouri Valley wants to rotate the event around the conference. They selected a first-time host for next year's tournament; they didn't go back to Wichita or Springfield.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's very possible. I guess I'd just think that if playing in the home of the CWS was such a plus for their product and was a net positive in their recruiting to be able to say "we play in the home of the CWS every year," I can't imagine they would have refused locking up TD every season going forward for their conference tourney. Just kind of seems it didn't meet their expectations last year and I feel that 22,000 empty seats in every game but the championship game (only 18,000 empty seats in that one) is probably cost prohibitive and not conducive to a quality experience.

In any event, the B1G will now try where the Valley failed. I hope it succeeds. Nothing would make me happier than TD full every single session and making it so that the B1G has no choice but to put the tourney here permanently. I've wanted this tournament in Omaha since the move was announced in 2010. Do I think capacity crowds are the realistic scenario at this point? no. It'll all come down to what the B1G wants long term. If they don't think it's a great idea after their trial in the big stadiums in 2013-2014, they can move back to AAA stadiums like Huntington Park and Werner Park.

As for Werner, Sarpy, and the Storm Chasers, they should put their eyes on the Summit League Tournament. I think that is something they could host in the next few years if they never get the B1G tourney.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how Werner Park beats TD Park in baseball experience. For every form of entertainment but baseball, Werner Park wins. It was built so people don't have to watch the game. But for baseball, TD Park is ten times better. It has better seats, views, and concessions. It's a higher quality stadium and even better inside for teams and media.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  4:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disagree. The concessions at Werner CRUSH, I mean absolutely DESTROY, TD. TD is just bland generic stadium food. Werner has way more options and some local flair.

The seats at the two are basically the same.

Views? Unless you're sitting down the 3rd base line or in the upper deck, TD looks like a concrete jungle and a sea of empty blue seats. The foul territory harkens back to Oakland Coliseum. It's a circular doughnut not unlike places like RFK and 3 rivers. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's Kaufmann stadium without the upper deck and any of the stuff that makes the K cool.

Overall, TD has a very unfinished look in the architecture. steel beams that go nowhere. brick rectangles in the outfield that are bathrooms and concessions (that are your only view if you sit in the lower level on the 1st base side). I just see it as a really bland experience. Too each their own though.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  10:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sat behind home plate at Ameritrade the other night. Bob Kerrey bridge behind left field. If you sit down the third base line, you've got downtown and the mural.

And this is where Martie Cordaro reminds you that if you bring your binoculars, you can see downtown from BFE as well. But it kind of comes off like Tina Fey imitating Sarah Palin...

("I can see Russia from my house!")

Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  3:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it makes you feel any better, Palin actually said that...basically :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXL86v8NoGk
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  7:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, while I was initially resistant to the Omaha Royals name change selection (to say the least), it appears they knew what they were doing...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120522/SPORTS/705229860/1001#.T7z8brq1BHc.facebook
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though you disliked the new name, have you bought anything with it?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000