Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  12:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I really hate the late start times for the CWS this year. 8PM is rough if you have to work in the morning. Shows you were the CWS rates with ESPN when it gets bumped for European soccer....

Greg

I like 8 pm better than 6 pm. A lot of people can't get out of work until 5 pm. And there are several 7 pm first pitches. And for those that can get out early, there is a 4 pm early game.

It's unfortunate, though, that the NCAA gives ESPN so much control over the event. Soccer wouldn't give the alleged world wide leader that much say, and that's why the games moved. Not because soccer rates, but rather because ESPN has the power with the NCAA.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  11:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... attendance at Creighton baseball games is in a free-fall – down from (an announced) 7,000 per game last year to about (again, announced) 3,000 per game.

No surprise here... the Jays are awful, the stadium has none of the atmosphere Rosenblatt had going and who wants to pay $8 to park for a regular season Missouri Valley Conference game?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  07:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, the only game I've been to this year, the UNO game down there, was brutal for attendance. 3k in that venue seems cavernous. They did a good job giving tickets away last year. That, combined with people curious about the stadium attributed to the crowds of 7k. That will not be the case going forward. 3k is more in their wheelhouse.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a Creighton fan, but they are lucky to draw 3K, that is still a pretty good crowd for college baseball. This is also what happens when your program sucks and just keeps playing bad baseball and getting in the L column. Hopefully UNO can bring a bunch of fans again and Creighton can lose two nights in a row to the other Nebraska schools.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  12:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different dynamics. This year, TD Ameritrade Park opened in early March, not April. There wasn't the opening night near-sellout against Nebraska to check out the new ballpark either.

There's still a few more weeks to the season.

For those people who complain about the price to park, and there is free on-street parking just a couple of blocks away. And a $5 lot that is closer to the box office than the Clink Center lots.

MECA announced this morning that the Red Sky lineup will be released next Monday, and the UFL previously said we would hear about the Nighthawks season in the next few days.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  4:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The $5 lot is not a bad option. It does not take much to fill up the free parking down there though. I had free tickets to the KU Creighton game earlier this year (UBA was giving them away). We drove around for a while in all directions, including north of the stadium and you had to park quite a ways away to get the free parking.

For the NU game last week, the $5 lot was full so we had to pay the $8, and there was less than 10k there. Worth it though to see NU win.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  09:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never become convinced that any entity needs to charge for parking. I think MECA and others that do this think of it as an extra revenue stream. I've always thought of it as an annoyance and a matter of greed for something that you essentially have the most power over. I think prices charged for concessions, etc., are high enough without gouging the consumer for parking. We rarely pay when we go to Husker games. We don't have to pay at all for parking at Haymarket Park. Kansas Speedway doesn't charge for parking. And yet, Chiefs/Royals gouge for parking, MECA does, and what annoyed me most was when the University started charging for parking on grounds at Stars games. I'm a big free market guy, but I see every one of those instances as a chance for what for the most part are public entities looking for some way to gouge the consumer that has come to see some type of event that has little or no other option. For all the public financing that is put in to these places, you would think parking would be the one thing these public entities would actually give back to the public.

All right... I think I'm done with my ranting. :D

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate paying for parking as well. The free parking at Werner is closer than the $5 parking at the Yard downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  12:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I hate paying for parking as well. The free parking at Werner is closer than the $5 parking at the Yard downtown.

Greg

The free parking at Werner fills up quick though unless you are going on a Monday-Wednesday game.

I noticed the Chasers gravelled over another stretch of land behind the park. Good idea. It may only hold another 100 cars, but every bit helps...and it's the free parking.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  2:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've parked there everytime. I usually go on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Some Saturdays it's been full by game time. Never on Sundays though, and I've probably been to half of their Sunday games since last year. I have not had a problem on Thursdays either but have probably only been to 4 games on Thursdays since the park opened.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  7:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen a half dozen Thursdays when not only does the free parking fill up, but all lots have been full by 10 minutes to game time. Thursdays and Fridays are the worst for parking. Saturdays don't seem as bad and I've probably only ever been to one Sunday game, so I can't really comment on that.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  02:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West O Mike sure sees things through rose-colored glasses.

The reality is the City of Omaha owns and operates a ballpark that's new, virtually empty year-round and has a serious problem with its water table and playing surface. Looking ahead, it faces an uphill battle to draw good crowds for the College World Series, since game times have been pushed back.

All of this does not bode well.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  07:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they can get some Independant Leauge ball down there, that'll solve all their problems. That's the ticket.... (joking)
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not see an uphill battle to draw for CWS. Good luck getting season tickets soon. It's virtually empty year round because it's main purpose is the CWS. Those two weeks pay for that ballparks mortgage, everything else is just bonus as I understand it. I don't understand the sentiment to be anti-Omaha on almost everything on this board. The ballpark is already there, the arena ia already there, let's support and enjoy what we have. I love Omaha, I love seen Mav games at CenturyLink, (Creighton games are okay...I am just not a basketball fan), I love that we have an awesome new ballpark near downtown for the CWS that gets to share the field with Creighton. I love the fact that I get to see UNO play on the CWS field twice this year to play Creighton (How long till we get a Nebraska Baseball Classic weekend or something? UNO v. Creighton v. Nebraska?)

UNO wants their own arena and twizzlers, that's fine, but until then, we need to support what we have. Look at Omaha 15 years ago, it was a very different place, it's come a long way and I think it's a great city.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  12:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hal Dawg

Looking ahead, it faces an uphill battle to draw good crowds for the College World Series, since game times have been pushed back.

If not for the ambiguous definition of what a "good crowd" is, this statement would call for a JoePa. (That and the fact that admin is blocking images... :-)

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  07:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Creighton is seeing its crowds bottom out downtown, the attendance for the Storm Chasers continues to grow...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120503/SPORTS/705039780/1001

Pretty good considering, often, the first year of a new ballpark is considered to be the high water mark since fans are out in force simply to check the place out.

A few quotes I found interesting...

quote:
Through 12 games this season, Omaha has drawn 54,946 fans for an average attendance of 4,579 per game to rank ninth in the 16-team Pacific Coast League.

At a similar point last year, the Chasers had drawn 52,858 for an average of 4,402 per date. Last year's figures include a doubleheader that counts as one opening.

and...

quote:
Cordaro said full-season ticket sales have increased by 200 and now stand at 1,600. The number of tickets already sold through season's end on May 1 this year is 30,000 more than last year on May 1.

Kind of amazing to me they already have sold 30,000 more tickets than last year at this time. I would have been sure that the new ballpark smell would have drawn people out more last year. Guess people do like the place alot as I do.

Also, on parking...

quote:
The biggest changes noticeable to fans this season is likely the new traffic flow for parking and an additional 200 to 250 free parking spaces available beyond the left-field wall north of the facility.

“We had some (parking) challenges on opening night, which was also a Thirsty Thursday,” said Cordaro, noting that Thursday games typically include late-arriving younger drivers with fewer people per vehicle, thus putting parking at a premium. “There are some kinks to work out still, but we're in constant communication with the county and law enforcement to make things smoother.”

Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what happens when you have a winner. Winning teams tend to draw better. Chasers have looked just as good as the PCL winning team from last year
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  12:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martie Cordaro is probably the only person in town complaining about the weather in April.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the complaining was mostly about the one thirsty Thursday that was in the 40's. At this point, Thirsty Thursday is so popular along with friday fireworks, their crowds on those 2 nights are almost double most every other night. Good weather on that one Thursday probably meant the difference between 2,500 and 7,000. So yeah, that one night probably did make a big dent in their figures. But, there were some cold Thirsty Thursdays in 2011 as well. I went to one in the 40's. So, I don't give that argument a ton of credit. Still, bottom line is they are up over last year and the summer looks to put them up even further over 2011. Just kind of shows that they are building something good out there and "new ballpark smell" doesn't always have to be a game of dimishing returns. I look for them to keep growing their product over the next few years and if/when the area around there fills in, it'll be huge.

Pants: winning has little to do with it. I once thought as you do. However, the playoff games last year were some of the most poorly attended games and proof that you don't draw huge numbers to minor league baseball games on winning alone. There's a few people, the die hards like me, that will go more if they put a good product out there, but most are looking for fireworks, carousels, thirsty thursday, bars, etc to keep them enthused. Luckily, Werner Park has all of that and then some.

Now, I still think there's an argument to be made that if the KC Royals ever get out of their generation long funk, that would help the Omaha Storm Chasers. Omaha is a veritable untapped market of dormant royals fans. People around here want to root for the Royals (just like they root for the Chiefs as they are the closest NFL team); however, the franchise has beaten all intrest out of this market with bad play over the last 25 years. Still, if it gets turned around, that bandwagon will fill up instantly and people will be wearing KC Royals stuff all around OMaha. Can you imagine the interest level if they ever made the playoffs? huge...and the Omaha Storm Chasers would reap the benefits of that for sure.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  1:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and I am hearing that Dead Sky has dropped down to 4 days? At what point does a "festival" become just a couple of conerts on back to back nights?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120420/GO/304209847
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the winning has hurt but I'm not sure it has had that much of a positive impact on attendance. I remember a study a few years ago, might have been publicized by the Chasers, where it showed that winning was not that high on the list for those that attend MiLB games. I think a chunk of the people leaving either did not know the score or who was winning. It does help some.

I wonder which is a bigger factor, winning or the fact that so many of the players coming through Omaha are in KC now. It's been a long time (maybe the 70's?) since this many players came through Omaha on their way to KC. When you watch a KC game on FSN now, that roster is stacked with former Chasers.

I think the facility has the biggest impact on the momentum they have going forward on attendance. Werner was so well done that you want to go back. It's great for families, well set up for singles crowd, plus great for business outings. Where my wife works is having a big one there in June. They have not done something like this with the Royals/Chasers in over 10 years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  6:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red Sky should have just been called a ___ day concert series from the get-go.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post nouse about winning and the Royals. I think you're right, if the Royals were to start winning it could be huge for this area. I think winning is more important in the majors, although maybe still not tremendously important. But in the minors, not much at all. Hence the reason all those minor league parks have to put in fan and family freindly amenities to get people out to the game. I don't know what the Chasers have for activities and what not but I'm sure it attracts a good chunk of the crowd.

I've been to music festivals that were two days. I don't think the length of time matters at all. It's more just a term. It could be one day and many bands and still be a festival.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  2:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, and what Red Sky is, ISN'T a festival. People don't come here and camp, there isn't headliners all day, the area isn't built around it...it's just not a festival, it's a series of concerts.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the Chaser's Friday night. Got there right before game time. No traffic issues at all and parked in the free parking. There was still plenty of free parking left at 7:00. Looks like the free parking was expanded to the east.

Good crowd. We watched from the left field berm.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
per that article above, it seems the biggest issues are on thirsty thursday as lots of 20 somethings driving seperately and not showing up until very close to game time. I get what they are saying, but they just can't afford to have traffic jams on those nights. You're talking about people with disposable income that want to spend it at Werner and are basically being told no because there's no parking and aren't able to communicate that effectively until you've sat in line for a half hour.

I went on opening night and multiple times in 2011. The problem on those nights (and any game they reach 8k+ for that matter) is very real. People getting stuck in traffic until 7:30 and then being told to drive a mile back to the high school. If they put up with it, it puts them in their seats in the 4th inning. Just not acceptable. If you look at their facebook page, there have been a number of people that complained. Some have said they just turned around and went home. The OSC response was to call the ticket office. Presumably, that means they are giving them free tickets to another game. That's great on a customer service level, but you don't want to make a habit out of losing money that way and making your customers angry in the first place.

I gave them kudos above for adding more free parking. The article said it was roughly 200 spots. That's great. I'm not sure it'll solve all their problems on those 8k+ games, but I hope so.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The flow through the parking lot seems to be going better this year. They had 6100 Friday and there were still plenty of spaces in the free area, and tons in the $2. The VIP parking did look full.

I'm going to bet this year's line up for Red Sky underwhelms. Def Leppard, Rascal Flatts and Brad Paisley? Hopefully the 4th unannounced headliner is better.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  5:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all honesty, though, people will complain and female dog about this, and it will still draw a ton of people and make a lot of money. I despise country very much, but it is huge around here. All those country shows at the CenturyLink Center sell out/near sell out. Last year, the last two days (Zack Brown Band and Jason Aldean) drew the biggest crowds of the whole week. (15,500 and 17,000). So go figure, they bring more country.

I have no idea how Def Leppard will draw.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  07:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's as I thought. While the Chasers attendance is up slightly, CU's has fallen off the cliff at McStadium...

quote:
The Bluejays, who sometimes performed before next-of-kin crowds at their on-campus facility, are averaging 3,461 for their first 14 openings at the stadium. Creighton, which played twice at the CU Sports Complex in March, ranks 18th nationally among Division I teams with an overall average attendance of 3,075.

The bad news? The average for the games at TD Ameritrade is less than half of the 7,502 Creighton averaged in 16 games during the stadium's first season of operation in 2011. Only one crowd this season — the 9,684 that turned out for the April 24 game against Nebraska — ranks among the top 10 for the Bluejays.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  08:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the problem with TD. Creighton is 18th in the country in attendance (very, very good for a northern mid-major) and they average 21,000 empty seats a game. I assume they will have 10k plus tonight. Huge challenge for Mike West and his crew. It's a rough lease they have there as well.

Mike and I have both said in the past, they need to put up some inflatables or something on that outfield wall. My youngest now passes when I get free tickets (he does not care if I have to pay or not). He only wants to go to Werner Park or Kauffman. It's been a while since I took him to Haymarket but with their outfield area, he'd be fine there as well. Not sure how much more they can draw if they make it fan friendly, but they need to do something.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000