Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  11:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to the UNO double header for sure. I have tickets to the Chasers game, but not sure if I'll do that one as well. may just get the promo replica championship ring and go home.
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  4:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like it'd be a fun day of baseball! Easter weekend does not make that doable for me, sadly. It'd be nice if they could get a deal worked with the SCs to make that their permanent venue. I know they've said in the past these are one-offers to use the facility, but I gotta believe that type of extra draw would only enhance the revenue stream for the SCs. Have to see how it all shakes out, I guess.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  4:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might make sense for the SC's and Sarpy, but will have to see if it makes sense for UNO. If UNO can build their program to a level where they can draw 1-2k on average per game and the Storm Chasers cut them a really good deal, I could see it.

If the SC's play good old fashioned MECA style hard ball with them and UNO can't grow their fanbase beyond the 100-200 they have gotten at Boys Town in recent years, it could be a big money loser that the athletic department simply can't afford.

I think it would be best for both parties to try to come to a fair arrangement. Give it a shot and do a couple of 1 year deals. If it works, great. If not, UNO's best bet for future financial stability will be to build a small ballpark with bleacher seating for about 500 near campus on Chili Greens.

I'm going to the game at Boys Town on Friday. It will be a really good indicator as to where they are heading. It's one of only 4 true home games this year, it's their first as a D-I team in their home park, it's coming off of the huge wins over Creighton and Iowa, it's free, the weather is supposed to be great, and alot of people have Friday off of work. I'll be disappointed if they can't get a decent crowd out there.

We shall see.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  08:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I should be at the Friday and Sat morn games. Can't do 2 on Sat and Sun is just not happening. Hoping that the crowd that turned out for Creighton returns!

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  10:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, nouse. I think your analysis is spot on. I think if they can get a good deal from the SCs for use, it would be the best of all worlds for everyone involved. I have a tough time believing the SCs would try to play hard ball when it seems like it would only be upside for them. Who knows, though. Even if they could only draw 500-1000 per game, if the SCs cut them a good enough deal, that could still work to their advantage, and still give the SCs the ability to show off their facility even more.

It'll be interesting to watch them grow the team into DI over the coming years. Anyone know what type of surface Werner Park has? Did a quick look on the website but couldn't find it. Would there be any concern about the surface showing wear from too many games?

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't even realize that UNO was playing tomorrow. I might have to see if I can get the kids over there; too bad it starts during naptime.

USA Today had another story about the halt in growth in the suburbs.

quote:
"This could be the end of the exurb as a place where people aspire to go when they're starting their families," says William Frey, demographer at the Brookings Institution. "So many people have been burned by this. First-time home buyers, immigrants and minorities took a real big hit."

During the '70s gas shortage and the '80s savings and loan industry crisis, some predicted the end of suburban sprawl. It didn't happen then, but current trends could change the nation's growth patterns permanently.

Aging Baby Boomers, who have begun to retire, and Millennials, who are mostly in their teens and 20s, are more inclined to live in urban areas, McIlwain says.

"I'm not sure we're going to see outward sprawl even if the urge to sprawl continues," he says. "Counties are getting to the point that they don't have the money to maintain the roads, water, sewer. This is a century of urbanization."

Maybe, Lang says, "sprawl is the Freddy Krueger of American development. It's always pronounced dead and yet somehow springs back to life."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-05/sprawl-census-urban/54007292/1

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  3:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I didn't even realize that UNO was playing tomorrow. I might have to see if I can get the kids over there; too bad it starts during naptime.

USA Today had another story about the halt in growth in the suburbs.

quote:
"This could be the end of the exurb as a place where people aspire to go when they're starting their families," says William Frey, demographer at the Brookings Institution. "So many people have been burned by this. First-time home buyers, immigrants and minorities took a real big hit."

During the '70s gas shortage and the '80s savings and loan industry crisis, some predicted the end of suburban sprawl. It didn't happen then, but current trends could change the nation's growth patterns permanently.

Aging Baby Boomers, who have begun to retire, and Millennials, who are mostly in their teens and 20s, are more inclined to live in urban areas, McIlwain says.

"I'm not sure we're going to see outward sprawl even if the urge to sprawl continues," he says. "Counties are getting to the point that they don't have the money to maintain the roads, water, sewer. This is a century of urbanization."

Maybe, Lang says, "sprawl is the Freddy Krueger of American development. It's always pronounced dead and yet somehow springs back to life."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-05/sprawl-census-urban/54007292/1

It may slow down, but it's not dead by any means. Even with all of the urban renewal in Omaha, Sarpy County has been, and is still the fastest growing county in Nebraska.

I think they summed it up best. It was pronounced dead in the 70's and 80's and it always rises from the dead.

The big issue right now is that there's alot of inventory sitting out there. That will hurt the chances of new developments popping up anytime soon. Also, with Hearthstone in bankruptcy that's another dagger.

It's always cyclical though.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike I think the first game is 10 so you might be able to get that one in before nap time. I'd like to go but my 7 year old has practice that runs right through that.

I definitely think you'll see a slow down in development in the burbs but no stoppage. Right now Sarpy is the fastest growing county in the state and Gretna I believe is that fastest growing community. Like the guy said that compared sprawl to Freddy Krueger, it's always pronounced dead and somehow spring back.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it got lost right at the end of my post above. Does anyone know what the surface is at Werner? Is it grass? Just curious about concerns about wear and tear.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  5:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huskermavfanchuck

I think it got lost right at the end of my post above. Does anyone know what the surface is at Werner? Is it grass? Just curious about concerns about wear and tear.

It's grass. I doubt there's issues with wear and tear.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  10:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Mike I think the first game is 10 so you might be able to get that one in before nap time. I'd like to go but my 7 year old has practice that runs right through that.

I definitely think you'll see a slow down in development in the burbs but no stoppage. Right now Sarpy is the fastest growing county in the state and Gretna I believe is that fastest growing community. Like the guy said that compared sprawl to Freddy Krueger, it's always pronounced dead and somehow spring back.

Greg

Tomorrow's game starts at 1 pm. Definitely won't make first pitch...but maybe we can make a few innings later in the afternoon...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  10:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah. saturday's UNO game is at 10am. Tomorrow is at 1pm.

storm chasers had a really good crowd tonight. almost 8k for opening night and it was under 60 degrees for most of the game.

still, massive parking problems again this year. It never ceases to amaze me that you can run out of parking in the middle of a corn field, but Sarpy and the Chasers have found a way to make that a reality at Werner Park. 7:30 and there was a line of cars as far as the eye could see. mass confusion, people waiting in lines for 30 minutes only to be told to leave, go a mile back down the road to the high school, wait in line, get on a bus, and return to the ballpark.

Kind of absurd.

People were literally creating their own parking places in them empty fields on the east end of the empty development or parking on the street on the east end.

Met a guy that was sitting next to us and he said his son literally just gave up after sitting in line for 30 minutes and went home.

I know the drill. I get there no later than 6:20 for a 7pm game. That's simply not a realistic proposition on a week night for many working families with kids.

I guess that's their business decision, but I absolutely guarantee that it's costing them money...and customers in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  01:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I don't know how you don't build that ballpark's parking to handle 8k without shuttles. Terrible decision.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  07:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I know the drill. I get there no later than 6:20 for a 7pm game. That's simply not a realistic proposition on a week night for many working families with kids.

That is pretty twizzlersty. Not only does that make it hard to get to a game but makes it hard to be fun too, since most people don't want to wait 30 minutes to get to a AAA baseball game.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that the long-term plan is that some fans would park at Pennant Place, but since that's still years away, they need another solution.

In the other night's newspaper ad wrapper, Cordaro was bragging that "People will notice changes from a concession and parking perspective right away."

Going on...
quote:
A few lessons Cordaro and the Werner Park staff learned from last season will be reflected in better traffic flow in and out of the stadium.

There will be three parking options this year with cost based on proximity to the park but still very affordable, Cordaro said.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  08:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I assume that the long-term plan is that some fans would park at Pennant Place, but since that's still years away, they need another solution.

In the other night's newspaper ad wrapper, Cordaro was bragging that "People will notice changes from a concession and parking perspective right away."

Going on...
quote:
A few lessons Cordaro and the Werner Park staff learned from last season will be reflected in better traffic flow in and out of the stadium.

There will be three parking options this year with cost based on proximity to the park but still very affordable, Cordaro said.

No doubt that's what they are banking on. In the meantime, I have no idea why they can't simply gravel over another empty field near between the stadium and 370. It would alleviate pretty much all of the traffic issues.

If you remember last year, they actually had LESS parking to start the year. You, West Omaha Mike, were the first to suggest something like, "they better throw some rock down in a hurry if they ever plan on drawing over 5k." I swear I remember you saying that, and they did it. Yet, it still only added about 500 more spots on the backside of the ballpark.

They could add so much more parking right now, but I get the sense they don't control any of the rest of the land and neither they or Sarpy must have the money to lease the additional land. sad. Again, this is like some of the stuff I complain about with UNO. The problem and solutions seem so obvious to everyone, yet no one is doing anything about it.

Cordaro's quote really makes no sense to me. I have no idea what they've done to ease traffic issues outside or putting up better signage at the entrace to each parking lot that says the price (if any) as well as being able to flip it to say "lot full".

That really isn't the solution though. I talked to multiple people in the organization last year. Signage at the entrance to the lot is fine and good, but they need LED signage at the entrance to the complex as well as on 370. Once you know you're at 15% availability, you need to have a cop close off the entrance to the facility and flip the signs to say "all lots full, proceed to Papio South High School for shuttle busses." and that's if you're even going to stick with this whole shuttle bus idea that I don't like at all.

The problem is people just cram onto the acess roads and then have to wait to get to the front gate to be told that they have to turn around and drive a mile back. A huge number of fans then just turn around and drive home mad. I know I would. The problem for the Storm Chasers is alot of those fans probably swear to never come back again.

To me that's a terrible mismanagement of my tax dollars. Sarpy and the chasers should be bending over backwards to get people out there, not inconveniencing them by making them miss half the game and shuttling in from a high school. It's so small time, I can't even believe it's happening. I can only hope a new owner will come in, take one look at how incompetence at multiple levels is possibly jeopardizing their investment, and make big changes. Also, I think the World Herald needs to get to the bottom of this.

Just a bad situation all around.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

yeah. saturday's UNO game is at 10am. Tomorrow is at 1pm.

storm chasers had a really good crowd tonight. almost 8k for opening night and it was under 60 degrees for most of the game.

still, massive parking problems again this year. It never ceases to amaze me that you can run out of parking in the middle of a corn field, but Sarpy and the Chasers have found a way to make that a reality at Werner Park. 7:30 and there was a line of cars as far as the eye could see. mass confusion, people waiting in lines for 30 minutes only to be told to leave, go a mile back down the road to the high school, wait in line, get on a bus, and return to the ballpark.

Kind of absurd.

People were literally creating their own parking places in them empty fields on the east end of the empty development or parking on the street on the east end.

Met a guy that was sitting next to us and he said his son literally just gave up after sitting in line for 30 minutes and went home.

I guess that's their business decision, but I absolutely guarantee that it's costing them money...and customers in the long run.

Yeah I was referring to Saturday with the first game starting at 10.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  11:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this link on eomahaforums.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-11203840

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got tickets from where I work to go to the Creighton game yesterday. Kind of crazy in that they were not ready to start at 2 as scheduled. The game started close to 3. I was asked the usher why the delay (there was an annoucement that I could not hear). She said it was the rain from Friday night and the field was not playable yet. I was really really surprised by this. Then I went inside and the workers in there were complaining that the tarp had not been put out. Not sure if it was a mistake or intentional and they thought the field could handle the rain without the tarp. I'm surprised they did not put it down and surprised that it was an issue anyway. I remember when they installed the drainage system at the 'blatt and stated you could have several inches per hour and be playing within an hour. I wonder if the low water table downtown has prevented TD from draining better? I buddy of mine was on the design team for TD and I do know the low water table presented many challenges during construction.

If I'm CU I'm a little upset with MECA that they did not have the field ready to go at 2.

Got to watch the game from the club seats at TD, very nice, inside and out up there. You can definitely see where a lot of the money went.

The announced crowd was about 2200.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  10:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That must have been why when I was at Werner yesterday, a buddy of mine that works the games at TD was texting me asking, "what's the field condition like out there? Is it ok?" That was at 1pm. I knew we got some rain and the games at Werner had a half hour rain delay to start, but I found that an odd question as the field was just fine out there. Now, I know why.

Heard that CU didn't have very good crowds all weekend. They announced 2900 friday, but that same friend said it felt closer to 1000.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  11:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think actual crowd on Sat might have been 1500 but I'm not good at judging.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  12:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the CU game Saturday, saw the coaches out on the field a couple times, checking the dirt, I guess it wasn't good enough for them? I have seen many teams play in the rain...including CU. How could this be any worse than actually playing IN THE RAIN? It had been dry for 4 hours. Game didn't start till 2:40
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  5:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I remember when they installed the drainage system at the 'blatt and stated you could have several inches per hour and be playing within an hour.

I think this generally refers to the grass areas, and not the dirt. If they left the tarp off, that's an error.

---
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  8:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was also told that the field at TD is in generally bad shape right now because they have a fungus that's causing them all sorts of problems. That's another story though.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got word that Saturday's game at McStadium with be a doubleheader. Iowa against SDSU at 10, followed by Creighton hosting Iowa at 2. With the rain coming, let's hope MECA has a grounds crew available to roll the tarp if needed. :)

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does it mean that it absorbed the once planned stand alone Zesto? I'm assuming Zesto is still coming but is sharing the building?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120411/NEWS01/120419889#new-restaurant-coming-next-to-td-ameritrade-stadium

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  10:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've revised the story since 4:00 pm. Zestos will still be there...but probably only as an ice-cream parlor. The rest of the building will be "Blatt Beer and Tables".

I was kind of looking forward to Zesto's burgers, but I'll definitely be getting shakes in the days prior to the CWS.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  08:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first version of that story on-line was brutal. Glad we are keeping Zesto's. I'm with you though, would have loved to see the food menu of Zesto's as well. Again though, glad Zesto's will still be there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  8:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and McStadium's uber successful music festival that was supposed to rival the festivals in Milwaukee and Chicago cuts its days by 33%, with only 2 acts announced less than 3 months before the event.

Bang up job on this one guys, bang up job...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120420/NEWS01/120429984#red-sky-loses-days

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hate the late start times for the CWS this year. 8PM is rough if you have to work in the morning. Shows you were the CWS rates with ESPN when it gets bumped for European soccer....

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000