Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  12:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Werner Review:

http://roadtips.typepad.com/a_salesguys_guide_to_the_/2011/07/werner-park-papillion-ne.html
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  12:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most interesting thing I read was that Buffett only owns 1/16th of the Royals. Last I knew, he owned 25%. I wonder if he sold part of the team back to Stein and company as part of the agreement to move the team to BFE. I wonder if Walter Scott sold as well.

Oh, and MECA did bid on the Big Ten tournament as well. The big difference is that MECA's bid is apparently for an every-other year basis instead of every year. The Big Ten looked at both ballparks when they were in town. The only difference is that Darth didn't say anything while Martie Cordaro was printing press releases.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57384436/big-ten-considers-cws-stadium-for-tournament/

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  2:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that 1/16 thing as well.

Yeah Martie's a little more open on the Werner activities. Roger is not always so forthcoming. Wonder how the Big 10 is with the every other option and why that's what Darth offered?

It's on Omaha.com too:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120223/BIGRED/702239848/1001#big-ten-considering-td-ameritrade-park

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  1:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Yeah Martie's a little more open on the Werner activities. Roger is not always so forthcoming.

That's kind of like saying Rush Limbaugh's a little conservative. (Or Rachel Maddow is a little liberal, just to play fair for both sides of the political spectrum.)

And BTW, I think it would be great if the Big Ten picked either metro-area facility. I do think that the Big Ten is seriously underestimating interest in Husker baseball, though. If Nebraska makes it to the weekend, they'll blow that 5-7k number out of the park...unless they are using that as the average, averaging the Thursday morning games with the weekend game attendance.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  2:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ok with either facility for the B1G tournament as well. I'd prefer Werner Park as I see it as a more intimate setting for that type of event. I went to the championship of the MVC Tourney last year. Even with CU playing in the game (and winning it), the park was about 1/3 full. Just seemed like a boring atmosphere.

TD would be good for any games that NU plays in, but the rest of the games will be a ghost town. I'm talking 1,500-2,000 people a game in a 25k seat stadium. Unlike Big XII teams, you'll get basically no travelling contingent from any of the B1G teams with the exception of a few scattered Minnesota and Iowa fans, but even their group would be minimal. I'd venture to say that even the MVC schools like Wichita St. and Missouri St. probably travel better than any B1G baseball fanbase outside of Lincoln.

To get the full NU fan bump that you're mentioning, it is also assuming NU is in the hunt for the title. If they don't get to the semi's or finals, there is no bump. NU has a long way to go before we can start banking on that again, even in the pitiful Big 10. Some services have NU as bad as 4th in that below mediocre conference in 2012.

In any event, I'd be cool with it at TD as it would give me a reason to go there. I have no reason to attend CU games unless they are playing UNO or UNL and the CWS is a couple games a year thing for me. I think I went to 3 games at TD last year. Hoping for more in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  4:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the Chaser's clearance sale last weekend and can clear a few things up. The Chaser's did not bid on the Big 10 (or give a press release that Mike and I incorrectly credited Martie with). It was Sarpy County that is trying to land the Big 10 tourney (part of the deal on the stadium is that Sarpy can use it so many dates a year).

Also Warren Buffett and Walter Scott stayed with the Chasers on the move to Sarpy. They each still own 25%. The 1/16 number on the Buffett jersey was a reference to the smallest denomination of a stock on the stock market.

Interesting that MECA is favoring the Valley over the Big 10 because of Creighton.

FYI there is a free open house this Saturday at Werner from 10-3, free hot dogs and pop 11-1. You get to go to the clubhouse for the first time. My 7 year old is fired up to see the clubhouse.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Although, I didn't realize Mike thought the 1/16 meant that Buffett only owned 1/16 of the team. I must have missed that part of his post. It was pretty obvious that it was a stock reference.

I also went to the sale. Got a $100 jacket for $40. very happy.

And, as I said in the thread on the hockey forum, it's pretty obvious that MECA and Creighton are in bed together more than anyone knows. In fact, I'm not even sure anymore which entity needs the other more.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  11:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took my 7 year old to Werner Park yesterday for the Chaser's Open House. They did a great job. Last year it was somewhat limited due to the construction. This year we also got to go into the clubhouse (Nicklas loved sitting in the player's chairs), the indoor batting cages, the dugout suite and the press box on the 2nd floor.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  12:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

It all makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Although, I didn't realize Mike thought the 1/16 meant that Buffett only owned 1/16 of the team. I must have missed that part of his post. It was pretty obvious that it was a stock reference.

I also went to the sale. Got a $100 jacket for $40. very happy.

And, as I said in the thread on the hockey forum, it's pretty obvious that MECA and Creighton are in bed together more than anyone knows. In fact, I'm not even sure anymore which entity needs the other more.

Here's the exact quote from the article: (emphasis added)

quote:
It turns out that Warren Buffett - the Oracle of Omaha, who if he isn't the richest man in the world, he's in the top three - is a 1/16th owner of the Omaha Storm Chasers.

And maybe Cordaro didn't issue a formal press release...but he's the only one who talked to the media.

quote:
Omaha Storm Chasers President and General Manager Martie Cordaro said Monday night that Sarpy County officials took Big Ten officials on a tour of the 9,000-seat stadium and made a presentation. The Storm Chasers are the top farm club of the Kansas City Royals and the primary tenant at Werner Park.

Cordaro said Werner Park is among a "handful" of venues being considered by the Big Ten.

Sarpy County Administrator Mark Wayne didn't return phone and email messages seeking comment.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  12:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe the article is just wrong.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  2:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very likely the article is wrong... I'll take Cordaro's word through Greg over some blogger guy who likely just made an assumption.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  7:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Werner Park to be used as one of the sites for State Baseball between 2013-2016. It will alternate years between being the location of the class A and class B tournament. Lincoln previously had both. That is a good use of the ballpark over the next few years for sure. Nice to see that the Omaha metro area was able to swipe a piece of this from Lincoln...

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/baseball/lincoln-papillion-to-share-state-baseball/article_3302b86b-6bd8-54d8-b1d9-9f851403069c.html
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  08:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had not heard about that. Very cool.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  5:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool. Stadium Journey ranked Werner Park as the #5 AAA ballpark. That's a bit higher than I expected. Still, they are one of the better known ballpark review sites. They must have enjoyed their visit...

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/03-25-2012/37/best-aaa-baseball-stadiums
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  7:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just like to note that tomorrow will be my first visit to TD Ameritrade... and it will be to see UNO play Creighton. Pretty excited!

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  9:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there as well. Go UNO. Would love to see them knock off CU. Not likely but CU is not good this year.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do think both CU and UNO have very good head coaches. Both seem to do well considering their resources. Can't wait until UNO can start playing home games in Omaha. Saw a deal on them last night on KETV last night and how they are road warriors this year. Very tough on them.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Rosenblatt is finally going to be leveled in July. It's been a little painful watching it just sit there deteriorating.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120327/NEWS01/303289997#rosenblatt-to-be-leveled-in-july

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I do think both CU and UNO have very good head coaches. Both seem to do well considering their resources. Can't wait until UNO can start playing home games in Omaha. Saw a deal on them last night on KETV last night and how they are road warriors this year. Very tough on them.

Greg

Considering they don't have a true home field, they really have no choice but to be road warriors. The only team that was willing to play them at Boys Town was North Dakota St. They need their own on campus diamond or a lease at Werner Park badly.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  1:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I hope they are figuring out their plans soon. Maybe even playing at CU's old field is an option? The crowd fit nicely there for the first game.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  3:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't think leasing a facility owned, operated, and on the campus of a team that is a possible future rival is a real solution. It's every bit as far away from UNO's campus as Boys Town, and unless you're a CU student, it's just as hard to find.

Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  9:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. BTW if they could draw fans like tonight more regularly Werner would make a lot more sense. I'd say half of the fans were supporting UNO tonight. Great win!

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  9:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this deserves its own thread and I'm starting one, but...what a night!

This has to be my greatest moment as a UNO athletic fan. This is right up there with the Tuesday Night game or the win over Michigan at the Joe. This just felt important.

I totally agree. the crowd was literally half UNO fans. If they could get that kind of turnout regularly, it would warrant an on campus diamond or the leasing of Werner on a full time basis.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read into this what you will:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120328/SPORTS/703289786/1001#storm-chasers-up-for-sale

One thing jumps out to me: percentage of attendance growth from 2010 to 2011. There was much discussion on this thread 40-so pages back that the Storm Chasers needed to make a considerable splash in their first year at the stadium. Granted, they admit attendance in 2010 was inflated by the "death of Rosenblatt" ballpark goers. But does a one percent growth equate to future success?

A more positive sign from Rob White's story? That advertising revenue is up. That, to me, is where the real money is made.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  07:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that the mere sale of the team could be construed as a negative in any way. The Omaha Royals went through several ownership groups in my lifetime. It's really not a big deal.

There was really nothing negative hinted at in the article. The OWH was the one that asked if there was talk of moving the team, which really kind of is a no brainer of a no to me, but I'm sure they had to ask as some of the readers would probably wonder. Hell, I'm not even sure a new ownership group would be allowed based on the lease and what the league wants to move the team if they tried. Not that there is even the most remote of indications that they are talking about it.

and, as I've said before, a one percent growth likely does equate to future success in this instance. Unlike most ballparks, year one is your best year. Werner is still undeveloped. Really, its best years should be ahead of it. When more people move into the area and the entertainment options grow, it should be just fine out there.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  11:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I think the future is bright for the SC if they keep doing what they are doing and that area continues to boom. I know I'm excited to head down for a few games this year. Good product, great price, fun atmosphere. Winning situation to me.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've criticized the Royals organization a lot over the years for how they strong-armed the city and got Sarpy County to give them a ballpark. I'm not backing down on that.

But Alan Stein and Martie Cordaro deserve a lot of credit for what they've done to grow the franchise they took over in 2006. Stein brought in Cordaro from another one of their baseball clubs. Stein retired, and now the ownership is in limbo. If Ivy Walls' is the group selling, will Cordaro stay? From my perspective, he's now the crucial piece to the franchise.

Nothing is happening out in BFE for a few more years. It's going to take Cordaro's marketing magic to keep the Royals viable as the "new ballpark smell" begins to fade.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As time goes on it will be harder and harder to call that area BFE. That plays to the location of the park.

I went to a baseball coaching clinic put on by Creighton. When asked about doing more youth camps one of the Creighton assistants said they would do more but there location works against them. He admitted the baseball families start in midtown and further west.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember, when Rosenblatt was built, the location was also considered "BFE" by the standards of the day. It was considered too remote from both downtown Omaha and South Omaha to be viable. We were talking about an era where people didn't drive everywhere, and many families didn't have cars. So, it probably was pretty remote by those standards.

To me, it all comes down to the product inside of the stadium. If I really want to go to dinner before or after, I can plan around that. I don't need my restaurant or bar to be right next to the stadium. I'd rather go to a game at Werner and then drive somewhere in West O, Millard, or Papillion for some drinks after the game than to endure a Storm Chasers game in downtown Omaha even if I can stumble to the bars before and after.

I went to the CU vs. UNO game, and it just further cemented in my mind how ill suited McStadium is for anything besides the CWS. Your everyday baseball game just gets drowned out by the sea of empty seats in there. CU will never be able to cultivate any real home field advantage in that place. In fact, even though the capacities are roughly the same, it's an even less intimate experience than the Blatt because the seats are bigger and the aisles wider meaning a small crowd of 4-6k is even more spread out than they were at the old park.

I went to two Husker baseball games last weekend where there was about 5k in attendance. The atmosphere was great. Yet, 4k at the CU vs. UNO game just felt empty and lifeless in that cavernous stadium. It was my wife's first game at TD and I've never pushed my feelings on it to her. I asked her what she thought of the place and she said basically, "eh. it's ok, but it's just so huge and doesn't have much going for it. It's just kind of plain and boring." Indeed.

I get there's a value to having things to do around a ballpark, and I think that stuff will happen in time at Werner, but for my money, I'll take the atmosphere at the game there any day of the week over TD.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  08:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw where UNO is playing a double header against North Dakota State Saturday at Werner staring at 10AM. Chasers at 7. That's some serious use of the park in one day.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000