Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  12:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, a 1-game series in baseball just doesn't make sense. Even a bad team can win 1 game if they have the right pitcher on the mound. You don't really test a team's depth until you expand a series.
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  7:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case in point... most every baseball team in the Majors wins sixty and loses sixty... it's those other games that make the difference.. not to say there isn't some variance off that, but it shows the ability on any given night for a baseball team to win or lose... and shows why a one-off makes no sense in the championship for baseball.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!

Please take a gander at my new blog, if you have the time! Notes and suggestions welcome. Crazy Corn, Bull, and Bird House
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  12:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from Wyoming and noticed this article. This sounds like it could create quite the mess for both Omaha and Sarpy County. Yikes for both municipalities...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110925/NEWS01/709259909

quote:
A recent advisory by the state tax commissioner has thrown that notion on its head, sending government officials and tax attorneys across the state scrambling.

They are trying to determine whether public facilities financed through lease-purchase arrangements that were previously thought tax-exempt including Omaha's new TD Ameritrade Park and Sarpy County's Werner Park might soon be placed on the tax rolls.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  12:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few interesting thoughts about the Chasers attendance this year...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110924/SPORTS/709249805

quote:
While Rosenblatt held roughly 24,000 in its final days, Werner Park's total capacity including berm seating is 9,023.

In other words, had Rosenblatt's capacity been 9,023, attendance this year would have been up 15.9 percent since there were nine crowds in 2010 larger than what's possible at Werner Park. Many of those big crowds were on promotional nights when portions of the crowd got in at deep discounts.

quote:
"After the excitement during the playoffs, I think you can say that Omaha is now a Triple-A town and a minor league town," Cordaro said. "I don't think you could say that five years ago. But we think it is, and we're quite proud of that."

Omaha's attendance peaked in 1997, with an average of 6,814 that was padded by discounted seats. As discounts were reigned in and interest faded the next eight years, attendance plummeted to 4,278 in 2005. The 2011 season marked the sixth straight increase in attendance and the largest per-date average since 2000.

Cordaro said there's still room to grow, and making up for an unseasonable April is one place to start.

Also, I think this would be an excellent idea...

quote:
Cordaro said the Storm Chasers are hopeful of bringing the Class AAA All-Star Game to Werner Park sometime in the near future.

"We haven't done a formal bid process, but we're at the beginning stages of seeing what it would take," he said. "It is our hope and anticipation that within the next five to seven years we would be awarded the All-Star Game."

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  10:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see the All Star game here.

We're going to try and go to the future's game next summer in KC.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  4:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110928&content_id=25336592&vkey=pr_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541

What a 1st year. 124 dates used.....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  2:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I think for MLB interest in Omaha I think KC is one, followed closely by the Cubs then Cards. I think NY is fourth followed by Boston. With the lack of WGN games I don't think the Cubs will grow their fan base here any more...I used to follow them in high school and college and beyond because they were always on. Not anymore.

Whether the low quantities of Cub games on WGN is going to affect things or not, but Public Policy Polling did a poll on MLB preferences.

In the new 2nd Congressional District (which includes most of the Omaha area, sans Bellevue), it's Cubs 23%, Royals 13%, Red Sox 12%, and Yankees/Braves/Cardinals at 6% each. For comparison, district 1 which includes Bellevue and Lincoln, the Cubs lead 21%-20%...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_NE_1013.pdf

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  2:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be interesting to try that poll each year going forward. As we get further and further from the Cubs being on TV everyday and more years of 140 Royals games on TV I would look for the Royals numbers to increase. Especially if they can sprinkle in a few winning seasons.

I surprised that the Cards and Yankees are that much behind the Red Sox.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also interesting how close the Royals already are to the Cubs statewide....With the mess that the KC Royals have been for the last 20 years (one winning season in 2003, and their best 1994 cut down by the strike, no owner for years, bad drafting, losing good players, and many 100 loss seasons) it's great that they are still that close.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  10:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tweaking how fans arrive to games next year:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111119/NEWS01/711199876

Years ago Rick's had golf carts that they would shuttle you to Qwest Center in that the police did away with.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  4:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article on the usuage of the new parks. It mentions some corporate and smaller events at Werner but not TD.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110704/NEWS01/707049937#ballpark-turns-quieter

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  12:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hitting the wayback machine? That article was from the 4th of July.

Interesting that you bring it up...there was a sign outside gate 2 this morning that indicated that there may have been an event at TD Ameritrade over the weekend. Not that there is much use for a baseball stadium in December.

I do know that there have been several private events at TD Ameritrade during the fall, so it's not like it's been sitting completely empty.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not realize that. It was on Omaha.com the day I posted it.

I wonder if any of these private events are big enough to help the area around the stadium. I have not heard of anyone attending any of these there. Any idea on the size? Are there meeting rooms in there that they rent out? MECA has not given any indication there are going on, normally they would publicize this type of deal to show they are booking addtitional events there. They are not shy in that regard.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  12:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the events I've seen were small, catered type of affairs, so I doubt there was any effect on the surrounding area. The field is now covered by a blanket, so I doubt there will be any activity on the field itself. My guess is that anything that happens there now will be in the suites or the club areas...

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  3:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind of wondered on the suites and club areas. Would be kind of a cool place to host a meeting.

I got called on a phone survey a while ago and they asked a bunch of questions about events in the Omaha area. Many were on things I'd like to see at TD. I'm hoping for more concerts, the outdoor hockey, and lacrosse.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  10:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AJ:

I enjoyed seeing your brother rocking Storm Chasers gear in the new Zebrahead video for "Nudist Priest". ha. awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plans are for a Bob Gibson statue at Werner Park:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111221/NEWS01/712219901#werner-park-would-honor-bob-gibson
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  09:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a great idea.

The Storm Chasers have done a wonderful job honoring the history of baseball in Omaha. Just a great job with a ton of care put into it. Werner Park is starting to have a ton of charm. Gibson deserves a statue.

BTW, if they want to raise money for it, they should do a brick paver program. I'd probably buy into something like that. Do a brick for $100 or $150, you get your name on it, a pair of tickets to a future chasers game, and a miniature of the statue.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  09:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see them do the Gibson statue first and then add a few more, maybe smaller statues around it. Or, if they wanted to do one more, do a Grover Cleveland Alexander statue. If you're trying to honor Nebraska baseball history, he and Gibson are the two greatest Nebraska born baseball players that lived here their whole lives. Most people have forgotten about Alexander, but he was one of the greats.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  2:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Indy leaguge baseball will work in Omaha for many reasons. Very hard to compete against the Chasers who have the financial support of an afiiliated club, a stadium that is way too big for them, they won't have the control of their stadium like many of the other teams do, plus the CWS disrupts their schedule even more than the Chasers because it's so much shorter. That being said, I agree with MECA that if you are going this direction, this is not the league to have in town:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120112/NEWS97/701129927#letter-a-last-attempt-by-league-to-get-into-ballpark
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I still maintain that with the shops, bars, and restaurants and all of the people already downtown, Indy league baseball can work downtown - if done right. Alan Stein used to say it all the time; only a fraction of the fans care about the game itself.

The Whatchamacallits do everything and then some to promote their product...but they are also 20 miles away in a cornfield. The hurdle is high, but I firmly believe it could work if you find the right people. The "Fast Ball"/remnants of the Northern League are not the right people, and the sooner MECA can lock that door permanently shut, the better.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  4:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He did used to say that wins and losses were not high on the list of most fans. They key though is it will be apparent to even the casual fan how much further down the food chain this level of play is. Thrown in the fact that MECA gets concessions and parking (unless they make a deal they have not offered in the past). MECA would not bend on parking for the state wrestling, will be interesting to see if they cut better deals for baseball than what they give UNO, Creighton and other events. Indy League runs a much shorter season so when they move out of McStadium for the CWS, it will be really rough having these very long home stands scheduled around it.

We've all been to the Clink when you have 4k in an arena built for 17k, now on some weeknights you'll have 1-2k in McStadium that seats 24k.

I love the 20 miles away part. Do you mean from McStadium? For me in NW Omaha, Werner's a actually a mile or two closer than McStadium depending on my route (I live north of 151st and Fort). When I did it from Big Fred's it was only about 3 miles difference (and if you took the interstate, essentially the same). I used Google Maps for the distance measurements.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  11:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I see it, with the distance between Werner and McStadium and the huge difference in level of play between the Storm Chasers and whatever Indy League team thy put there, the competition will actually be between Creighton and the Indy League team. The Storm Chasers and what's going on out west is almost irrelevant in this equation. It may be MECA competing against itself to an extent.

Yes, their dates may overlap a bit, and those nights could hurt the Chasers a bit, but the Storm Chasers have set a good foundation out West that will only continue to grow in coming years.

On the other hand, CU owes all of its huge increase in attendance to the new stadium. Many people went because they wanted to be able to experience TD Ameritrade Park and the downtown scene without having to deal with the cost and crowds associated with the CWS. CU was one of the only opportunities to get in that ballpark pre-CWS and will be again in 2012. They were draing 6-9k a game because they only had about 15 games down there. If there's suddenly another team with 40 more dates there, almost all of the novelty of CU baseball wears off quickly.

I kinda get the feeling that the Jesuit mafia in Omaha probably doesn't want to see another tenant downtown horning in on their niche.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be like the Saltdogs and Huskers in Lincoln. The college season and indy league seasons only intersect by a few weeks, and that's the weekends for regionals and superregionals. I don't think it'll be an issue. The NCAA is the bigger issue, though after July 1st, anything goes.

Speaking of which, I've heard that the UFL is still planning on playing in the fall of 2012. That's good news for Omaha. Then the spring of 2013. That's bad news for Omaha, because nobody expects the NCAA to allow the Nighthawks to play downtown in the spring. (And as always, whether the UFL makes it to summertime is still a valid question...)

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the UFL even has a commissioner anymore.....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He resigned last week.

http://espn.go.com/united-football-league/story/_/id/7524657/michael-huyghue-resigns-post-commissioner-ufl

From my perspective, this is a positive. The UFL needs new leadership, if only to erase the stain of last season.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  09:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure we can hang the UFL's troubles on the commissioner. Minor league football has always failed. I've heard that McStadium lost money on both Red Sky and and the UFL. Despite the rosy financial picture the OWH painted a few weeks ago for the first partial year of McStadium being open, MECA had some "involuntary turnover" for those at the top that were running the stadium and booking events right after the article came out. Going to be interesting to see how it does in a full year of operation. I don't think you let people go if all is going well. Not sure you can blame those booking the events but for now they are the scapegoat.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Despite the rosy financial picture the OWH painted a few weeks ago for the first partial year of McStadium being open, MECA had some "involuntary turnover" for those at the top that were running the stadium and booking events right after the article came out. Going to be interesting to see how it does in a full year of operation. I don't think you let people go if all is going well.

Now, that's interesting and something I hadn't heard. I wonder what that's all about? I know that on many of the upper administrative levels, the ballpark doesn't have a completely dedicated staff. It's many of the same people that work at the Qwest and the Civic as well in those roles. The do have some people that are dedicated to each building, but only a few.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go back about 40 pages, I suggested about a year ago that Werner Park and Sarpy County should be trying to get the Big 10 Tournament. I hope this happens...

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Big_Ten_Looking_At_Werner_Park_139235833.html
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of derp in the comments section of that story...

---
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000