Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Werner and the Chasers continue to roll. I plan on catching the UNO soccer game there.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110812/NEWS01/110819924/-1#gomez-spotlights-sarpy-ballpark
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  10:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another glowing review of Werner Park from a stadium review site...

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/werner-park-s283/
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  11:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool!

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you read this..make sure you have the theme to the Benny Hill show running through your head.

Can't wait for the Prince of Zimbabwe to call them up next.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110819/NEWS97/708199921#hackers-steal-217-000-from-meca
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  4:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Said French, "They knew exactly what they were doing. ... They appear to be very good at what they do."

"Unlike myself or my staff."

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarpy makes it's first payment on Werner. No property tax increase.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110822/NEWS01/708229917#no-sarpy-property-tax-hike

The bond payment will be funded by the Omaha Storm Chasers' $450,000 lease payment, $500,000 in lodging taxes from the county's visitor improvement fund, proceeds from the stadium's 50-cent ticket surcharge and a portion of ballpark merchandise sales.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would sure hope you could make the first payment without increasing any taxes, although "ticket surcharge" sounds a little bit like a tax. At least they're only "surcharging" those that choose to go to a game.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Sarpy makes it's first payment on Werner. No property tax increase.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110822/NEWS01/708229917#no-sarpy-property-tax-hike

The bond payment will be funded by the Omaha Storm Chasers' $450,000 lease payment, $500,000 in lodging taxes from the county's visitor improvement fund, proceeds from the stadium's 50-cent ticket surcharge and a portion of ballpark merchandise sales.

Greg

Yet.

I saw that, and thought... WOW. Did they actually pull this off? If I'm wrong, I'll have to own up to that. Take my punishment. Then I read it again.

They borrowed $27 million dollars, and are paying back a little over $1 million. So in 25-27 years, they'll have paid the place off.

Wait a minute. I want that deal too. 25 years of interest free financing? Or maybe, once again, the Sarpy County bigwigs still aren't telling anybody the whole story. So I pop out my calculator and figure out what the interest on a $27 million dollar loan is.

4% interest on a $27 million dollar balance is $1.08 million. Hey, didn't the story say that Sarpy's payment NEXT year is $1.06 million?

And since they borrowed most of this money last year for construction, there's probably 2 years of interest on top of that $27 million. 4% interest on a loan is probably really low, so it's probably closer to 5%. So that balance is probably closer to $30 million...and in that scenario, interest on a 5% loan after carrying the balance for 2 years is $1.49 million.

So yeah, next year there won't be a tax hike...because they aren't even paying a full year of the interest next year.

After next year, Sarpy has to come up with as much as another $500k a year. (Plus replace the $500k in hotel taxes that they diverted from some other source to the ballpark.)

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to be interesting. I'm sure in future years they'll use the taxes from the development. I heard on Grow Omaha, there's a big retirement center going up out there. Will be interesting to see what follows.

I saw where they had another sell out on Saturday night.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  5:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they did. They've regularly drawn good crowds (except during the really nasty heat wave). They're probably in really good shape to top last year's attendance in the next few home games.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what to make of the debt service. No one locallly in the media seems to be making a big deal about it. One thing I do know, with the continued rapid expansion of Sarpy County (still the fastest growing county in all of Nebraska by a mile) the tax revenues they are bringing in now should continue to grow for the forseeable future. If their tax base was flat or declining, I'd say this would be more of a red flag. However, I'm likely to say that they planned for smaller payments in the short term and larger payments in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  09:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hat's off to Martie Codaro and Alan Stein on this national honor:

Has there ever been a summer of Class AAA baseball like this in Omaha? New ballpark. Ten Omaha players sent to the big leagues. A team in first place (magic number is 10 with 15 games left). And if Werner Park had a roof, attendance would be through it. The average attendance this year is 6,009, ahead of 5,652 at this point last year. Overall, attendance this year will likely end up slightly ahead of last year's finale at Rosenblatt. But keep in mind: Attendance last year was helped by two games over 20,000. The Storm Chasers can't do that at Werner, which means they've been more consistent in that 6,000 to 9,000 range. Congrats to Alan Stein and Martie Cordaro, named 2011 executives of the year by Ballpark Digest.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110822/SPORTS/708229850/1212#shatel-it-s-time-to-construct-a-big-boys-division

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201108224134/awards/news/2011-executives-of-the-year-martie-cordaro-and-alan-stein
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Storm Chasers are presenting Sarpy with a check for $1.45 million.....

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110826&content_id=23766256&vkey=news_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  6:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The breakfast also includes a check presentation for $1.45 million by Stein to Sarpy County. The amount represents an upfront payment of $1 million as part of the 25-year lease agreement and $450,000 in first-year rent payments.

They are going to charge you $20 a person to watch them pay their rent?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
The breakfast also includes a check presentation for $1.45 million by Stein to Sarpy County. The amount represents an upfront payment of $1 million as part of the 25-year lease agreement and $450,000 in first-year rent payments.

What I thought was interesting is the amount. In the OWH report we spoke of earlier on this page, they did not mention the $1 million up front payment, onlye the $450k....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  3:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know they were charging anyone $20 to watch them pay their rent, but nice try. However, if it's the type of thing that interests you (sounds boring to me) you can CHOOSE to pay $20 for a breakfast highlighting Sarpy County's sports commissions previous and upcoming events.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  3:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But don't ya get it usey? I mean, the honored are going to stand, shake hands, say thank you for honoring me and here's a check. So it's kinda like paying $20 to watch them pay the rent. I thought it was funny.

And say thank you for what? For being top executives I guess. And what did they do to deserve that? Oh yeah, they had a county pitch in a majority for a new stadium, which sells itself by the way, and achieved nearly equitable attendance numbers than their previous stadium. I concede that the numbers from the old stadium were inflated by only a couple dates, but come on, they got a new stadium, what exactly did these guys do to deserve this? And I'm sure somebody will point out exactly what it is they did do, but really, they're going to stand, shake hands, say thanks and here's some money. And it's not just one breakfast, they're going to do several of these things.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  7:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

It's a Sarpy event not a Storm Chasers one. The Storm Chasers are not charging people to watch them pay their rent. It's the Sarpy County Sports Commission's deal.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

But don't ya get it usey? I mean, the honored are going to stand, shake hands, say thank you for honoring me and here's a check. So it's kinda like paying $20 to watch them pay the rent. I thought it was funny.

And say thank you for what? For being top executives I guess. And what did they do to deserve that? Oh yeah, they had a county pitch in a majority for a new stadium, which sells itself by the way, and achieved nearly equitable attendance numbers than their previous stadium. I concede that the numbers from the old stadium were inflated by only a couple dates, but come on, they got a new stadium, what exactly did these guys do to deserve this? And I'm sure somebody will point out exactly what it is they did do, but really, they're going to stand, shake hands, say thanks and here's some money. And it's not just one breakfast, they're going to do several of these things.

It's your choice whether to go or not. I hate these kinds of pat ourselves on the back civic fundraising parties, and I'd certainly never go myself, but don't act like this is something unique to Sarpy to fleece people. Places all over the country do these chamber of commerce breakfasts/luncheons.

Yeah, the numbers will end up about the same in terms of attendance. That isn't really what any of this is about. You want to know what was accomplished with building Werner Park? Ummm, the park saved minor league baseball in Omaha. I know there are people, even on this forum, that would argue all day with me otherwise, but I am still adamant that without Werner Park, AAA baseball would be a thing of the past in this community. I firmly believe that the team would not have played downtown and my experiences at McStadium have only shown me that they would have made the correct decision by leaving.

So yeah, IMO, saving AAA baseball in this community is something worth celebrating.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  06:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about something...

I guess you don't have to worry about the Nighthawks charging $20 for a ceremonial breakfast during which they pay their rent. They would never pull something like that. Heck, they may not even pay their rent at all this season.

I don't think there will be any charge at all to watch them back the Mayflower vans up in the middle of some December night this year to watch them high tail it out of Omaha leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid debts all over the city. Nope, if you happen to stumble upon that event some cold evening, you can watch it for free.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  07:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We understand it's our choice, but it's still lame. I agree with everything you said.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  08:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is lame. It's very lame. Just rich people patting themselves on the back for spending other peoples money and making a profit off of it. Make no mistake, those will be the type of people going to this event. I won't put any of my hard earned money down to support that type of mutual admiration moment, but to each their own.

Still, I'll take what we got and all that goes with it over the alternative of no team at all or a team not paying its bills and being a generally poor corporate citizen.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2011 :  09:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saturday night we took our two boys and joined our friends and their kids at Werner. The Chasers and Centris had a free movie night. They showed Happy Feet on the big screen. They also encouraged attendees to bring food donations for the food bank. My kids loved sitting on a blanket in the outfield and watching the game. They had the concessions open so my kids thought it was really cool with a big bucket of popcorn outside.

My youngest went with me last night to the Chasers game and was already asking if we can come back to watch another movie there. Hopefully this becomes an annual event.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Ace Mav
New Recruit

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2011 :  1:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ballpark that we have in North Little Rock is about the same size as Werner and they have a night every year that they invite the Cub Scout organizations to. Your admission includes the game, a movie played on the scoreboard, and you get to camp in your tent in the outfield. They won't let you use stakes on the outfield grass, for obvious reasons, but the kids have a blast. In 2010, several of the players came out and watched part of the movie and signed autographs for the kids. For the Cub Scouts that collect patches, they also had a patch made that looked like a team jersey. Great marketing work and the game is always well attended.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  11:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More on UNO Soccer at Werner:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110830&content_id=23946874&vkey=news_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  10:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omaha Storm Chasers: 2011 American Conference Northern Division Champions!!!

Congratulations Storm Chasers. First division title since 1999!
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  09:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty impressive. With so many of the guys getting called up and contributing in KC, I would think that would have more of a negative impact. Still some good talent in Omaha though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  09:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not believe they have the horses to win the PCL or the AAA title game, but a division title is a nice cap to the season regardless of what happens from here on out.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  09:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the final regular season game last night. Very hot and humid but a great crowd.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crowd was great. Parking was a mess again. A couple of friends were supposed to meet us there and gave up because they aren't willing to ride the shuttle. It is an enormous hassle, IMO, and not something that should be reasonably expected of their patrons just so they can continue to grow soybeans for another year or two where cars should now be parking.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000