2337 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  06:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

---
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I highly, highly doubt that this performed anywhere near even their meager expectations for the early bands. I mean, c'mon, why embarrass yourselves and those bands for anywhere between a dozen for the first bands to 300 for the later bands. Heck, from a friend that I talked to even the Journey show wasn't packed and that is even more pitiful considering they were basically giving tickets away at 6 for $98.50. People can spin the first day all they want, but that was a disaster for them.

My guess is that they likely expected a few hundred for the opening bands and they got dozens. For the late afternoon bands, I'm betting they expected 2-3 times the 200-300 that they got.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say again...it's a OK/Good at best idea...that was horribly done for two reasons:

1) July?
2) They smug, arrogant, we-know-better-than-you attitude put on by Meca when they touted their marketing power and named bands that....for lack of a better term $hit on Journey and Kid Rock every day of the week.

If they would have started small...lowered expectations a bit and oh yeah...NOT had it on a parking lot in the middle of the hottest time of the year...maybe things would have gone better.

PS - That little dude from the Philippines can belt out some tunes.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  08:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PPS - http://www.omaha.com/article/20110719/NEWS01/707199885#1st-day-of-red-sky-is-red-hot

They had two stages 100 feet apart?

Are you f*cking kidding me? Were they seperated by a curtain?
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  09:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

PPS - http://www.omaha.com/article/20110719/NEWS01/707199885#1st-day-of-red-sky-is-red-hot

They had two stages 100 feet apart?

Are you f*cking kidding me? Were they seperated by a curtain?

That's the dumbest setup I've ever heard of.....who the smurf thought that would be a good idea?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. One OWH article I read talked about how dismal the attendance at the secondary stages was. Also, I kept seeing facebook messages from a friend of mine who works there and kept talking about at 4pm there was about 50 people there.

Yet, today's OWH article says...

quote:
Early crowds were pretty abysmal (only a dozen or so), but eventually more than 2,500 people came to see bands on stages B and C at the festival grounds.

MECA officials said the festival's first day went extremely well and they hoped that subsequent days would do the same.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110719/GO/707199889#journey-ends-festival-s-first-day-with-a-bang

From everything I've read, "extremely well" would be an extreme stretch. I'm sure they'll try to spin it no matter what though.

Honestly though, if this went so well, do you think they would have actually brought those early bands in to play in front of 12 people if they knew that was the eventual outcome. Do you think Better Than Ezra was excited to play in 100 degree heat in front of 200 people (reportedly)? I don't.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  12:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTE was not, but the big bucks they got paid was just fine. The main issue was that the actual set up and execution of the 2 smaller stages area was terrible. The bands actually were shocked that they started this festival before Wed or Thurs, but hey, they got paid.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  1:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got this anecdote from a friend regarding tonight's 311 show, make of it what you will and I have no idea what kind of promotions they are running today, but if they are now discounting tonights show this massively, I simply don't know what else to say about this event...

quote:
my brother bought tickets yesterday on ticketmaster for $10 and he is only 4 rows back from me. Mine were $33 when I got them a week and half ago. Sucks.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the record show...as much as I hate MECA and the city administration with the white hot power of 1000 suns...it wasn't a horrible idea. It was poorly planned (July? Seriously?)...(apparently) poorly executed and the arrogance and absolute we-know-better-than-you nature of the initial announcement made meca look even more like idiots than before. (Although if you think about it...the voters who voted these assclowns in are really the ones to blame for handing them over the Reichstag) But even THEN stil wasn't a bad IDEA, considering Omaha has had a pretty good music scene for going on 20 years now. Oh well...now that the Nighthawks about to drop dead...you gotta have something going on down at that stadium the other 330 days out of the year right? I mean...it would be silly to build that place with nothing else in mind than the CWS and a dozen and a half Creighton games right?

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  4:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things are really picking up on Day #2.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110719/GO/707199856#day-2-more-fans
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  07:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, I didn't go last night, but this is the report I got this morning from a friend. Sounds like it didn't go that well...

quote:
The crowd last night was pathetic.
The seats were basically empty and the floor wasn’t that full, maybe half to a third by the time we left. The crowd that was there was great, but that was sad for attendance. I bet by the encore they could’ve all fit in sokol.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  12:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Once again, I didn't go last night, but this is the report I got this morning from a friend. Sounds like it didn't go that well...

quote:
The seats were basically empty and the floor wasn’t that full, maybe half to a third by the time we left. The crowd that was there was great, but that was sad for attendance. I bet by the encore they could’ve all fit in sokol.

10 years ago, 311 probably could have filled the stadium. That was then, this is now.

Next three nights should be big crowds. Rumor has it that the Friday night country concert is sold out.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...

quote:
One band almost didn't get paid for performing at Red Sky.

Local bands — selected for the festival after competing in a battle of the bands — make $500 each, a good payday for a local band only performing a 40-minute set.

While pop punk band Straight Outta Junior High was onstage, the group's guitarist said that the long black pants he was wearing were the "worst idea (of) 2011."

While the band laughed and played on, some Red Sky employees thought they were trashing the festival itself and didn't find it so amusing.

They refused to pay the band until everyone talked it over. In the end, band members explained the joke and got their check.

"(It was) just a little misunder-standing. They thought we were talking trash on the festival. We absolutely weren't," said Straight Outta Junior High's Matt Tatroe. "It was an inside joke that got misconstrued. It happens. We had a lot of fun and are glad to be a part of it."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110720/GO/707209870#day-2-more-fans-more-dancing-more-heat

So, the moral of the story is this:

Thou shalt not make fun of MECA or in any way point out the obvious fact that their festival has some deep flaws in design and execution or thou might not get paid. Remember, the MECA way is always the right way.

Luckily, the band got paid and everyone is happy. They just had to kiss a few rings and admit they were talking about their pants rather than the notion of putting local bands on stage at noon on weekdays. (although, according to friends of mine who are facebook friends with members of the band, they were in fact making fun of the situation they were in and not their pants. tee hee)

Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  3:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was down in lots b and c on monday and they had one stage basically facing the other, the bands that were supposed to overlap delayed their sets because it was such a poor set up. There were about 11,500 people there for Journey and only 7,300 showed up for 311 last nite.

Sec. 213 row A seats 11, 12
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  4:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

quote:

10 years ago, 311 probably could have filled the stadium. That was then, this is now.

Next three nights should be big crowds. Rumor has it that the Friday night country concert is sold out.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Oh yeah. I think there will certainly be some bright spots to this event especially the weekend bands. Overall, the whole thing is a mixed bag. I think at the end of the day this event will prove that TD is fully capable of being a successful venue for some top notch concerts. However, I think Red Sky will also prove that the design of a 6 day noon to ten festival with this many bands is not really the right model for Omaha or at least not without some major changes to the format. I think 6 days is unwieldly and unrealistic for Omaha. Thurs-Sat with a smaller # of bands would be more in our wheelhouse. MECA is going to need to go back to the drawing board on this one and I think it can be salvaged. This year has been a pretty big hiccup overall though.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, I know you mentioned 311 would have drawn better 10 years ago. That is true. Still, I was told by a friend with ties to the band that Red Sky Omaha 2011 was the bands lowest attended single show on this tour by far. I was told they've typically been drawing 12-15k at these types of outdoor events. Kinda mind boggling when you think this is their hometown. Not sure what the answer is here.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the crowd size for Kid Rock?-Just looked it up 14k which is great for this hear.

Good article on the Chaser's:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110720/SPORTS/707209817#storm-chasers-are-in-hot-pursuit-of-big-crowds
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw that Werner Park will be hosting a home UNO soccer game this fall. Pretty cool, did not see that one coming. Hopefully we see more UNO baseball out there as well.

They are doing a great job keeping events coming to the park. Wonder if they will host any other soccer games, maybe high school?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  8:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very interested in seeing how they pull soccer off there. I'm actually tempted to go to that. Might draw ok considering they only have 3 home games this year.

We can debate the importance of the events and how many fans they will likely bring through the gates, but in terms of sheer number of events and total community involvement, it's obvious that Werner Park has proven itself as a wonderful community asset. No doubt about it.

Also, this bodes very well for the idea of UNO baseball playing many more games at Werner Park. It's becoming obvious that UNO is cultivating quite the working relationship with the groups behind Werner Park. This pleases me as both an alum and Sarpy County resident.
Go to Top of Page

huskermavfanchuck
Sophomore Mav

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  10:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye, exactly. Not having been to Werner, I haven't had a chance to see the config. But I'm willing to take Mims word that a field can fit there. The interesting aspect will be seating. But I think I'm going to try and bring the family to that. But I will say, the soccer coach seems to be pushing to develop something special with his team. Hopefully it'll be as exciting as it's got the potential to be.

Family fans of the Stars, Mavericks, and various and sundry NHL teams! Happy to be here!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  12:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Community America Ballpark in KC hosted the KC Wizards of the MLS for 3 or 4 years. If a minor league ballpark can be set up to fit a MLS team, I'm sure UNO will be just fine at Werner.

I'm very excited for it.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to Werner Park tonight. lackluster crowd, but great game and the highlight of the night for me was seeing that the Chasers have installed several Rosenblatt seats in the concourse. Very nice touch.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  08:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are the Rosenblatt seats?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  08:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the left of the Hot Dog Nation concession stand. Between hot dog nation and the Jim Beam Club, roughly. They put in 4 red seats there that you can sit in.

I think they may end up putting some blue seats in there somewhere too. As I was leaving the ballpark last night, I happened to notice what looked like a pile of the blue seats in a service area near the clubhouses.

Just a nice little tribute, IMO, and another thing that Werner Park and the Storm Chasers have done to give that place a distinct Omaha flair.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds cool. That would have been something they could have done at McStadium on that big cement area behind right field.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  10:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed, but it probably would have looked relatively out of place there. Everything there is so uniform and rigid in terms of the symmetry and the color pallette downtown. Might have stuck out like a sore thumb. Kinda fits in more with the whimsical nature of Werner.
Go to Top of Page

puckhead
Sophomore Mav

494 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jumping in a little late on the Red Sky talk. Overall, I think its a good thing for Omaha, and I agree with a lot of the comments on this thread about it.

I went in with an open mind. I only went to the late afternoon stuff on Monday and Thursday. Better than Ezra was very good, high energy, played all their hits. 5 for Fighting was good, he actually waited until BTE was done to start playing. Nice guy, told some good stories.

Thursday, different story. I wanted to see Buddy Guy, but I've been a Bruce Hornsby fan for years. I'm glad I did, the dude was on point, and very conversational.

As a value to me? I'd give it an A because I saw three artists I greatly enjoy for $30. As an event, definite C. It should be a 3-4 day thing, not 6, and not that long of a day either.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Omaha has such a great music scene anyway, a lot of excellent bands have already been through here this year. Red Sky was late in the game at trying to line some of those folks up.

Also, and yes I'm biased because I'm a huge DMB fan, but if you bring in a band like the Dave Matthews Band and put them as the headliner (they have played here 3 of the last 4 tours and have drawn very well at the Q). Then you have a number of other acts that would fall in line, as well as a bit larger travel base to see those groups. DMB should tour next year, and Red Sky would be wise to get them for this gig.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  2:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's like I said above. The festival can be saved, but it needs to be shortened by a few days, the acts chosen need to have more cohesiveness, and it needs to be better marketed. You can't just throw a bunch of different genres onto a bill for a week straight in the dead of summer and expect it to sell.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  6:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

The Storm Chasers said they do have further Rosenblatt memorials planned and that includes putting more seats from the blatt in various places around Werner Park. I think this is a great idea...

quote:
There will be a marker noting the history/importance of Rosenblatt in regard to our franchise. There will be a minumum of 8 blue seats installed at the Borsheims Diamond that will add to that area's Rosenblatt memorial. In time we will replace the 4 ballpark bowl seats (green ones) that serve as the Rosenblatt Legacy program seats - a great program for those in the community that serve others or those that have had a difficult time in life.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  08:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One interesting point that a friend made is that people (OWH) are bringing up the attendance at Werner Park and if there will be an increase from last year. Which normally happens when a team moves to a brand new park. Of course this is ignoring the original nature at play here (the 'blatt was a beloved stadium and attendance spiked near the end, especially the final game drawing 23k, as many wanted one last trip to the park). What seems to be left out of the discussion is that we really won't see an attendance jump at McStadium either. It was not built to hold more. I know it's planned for 34k eventually.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000