Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  3:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Just was reading on another random out of town message board discussing minor league ballparks where someone was like, "just went to the CWS in Omaha. Amazing. The Storm Chasers play there right? That's gotta be the best Minor League Park in baseball hands down." Then, people had to explain the whole saga to this confused person.

To out of towners, it probably sounds exceptionally bizarre, but it is what it is. It makes sense to many of us that live here if you're in tune with the politics and players behind the whole thing. I don't expect non-baseball fans and out of towners to ever get it.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=804669&start=12

I don't think the guy you are quoting went to TD, I think he saw it on TV. Can't say for sure but he did not use the term "went."
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Interesting read AJ. Can't say I disagree with you on any of your points. BTW, I said 2 months ago that it was basically Kauffman without the upper deck, fountains, and scoreboard. Guess it's just that obvious. The DM register agrees with me...

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/06/17/2011-college-world-series-day-1-first-impressions-of-td-ameritrade-park/

I agree on Kauffman and like the writer said, that's a compliment. Also at Kauffman, you're looking at I70 and a few odd buildings. TD's got downtown, the river and the Kerry Bridge. As someone who goes to Kauffman multiple times a year and has since the 70's, TD has more space once you are in the seats.

Greg

It's nice that TD is downtown, but IMO unless you're sitting in the 200-300 level and only on the LF side do you get the vaunted views that everyone raves about. This isn't like going to a game in cleveland where the entire cityscape is your backdrop. I've sat twice in the 100 level once on lf side and once on rf side and all I could see is the top of the Qwest Center and the ugly as sin OWH/Qwest building.

Before and after the game, I'd much rather be near TD than the K for things to do, but while at the game, I don't see much of a difference in the view really except in the upper level in LF. If anything, I'd take the view at the K of the fountains and huge scoreboard while sitting in the lower level than what I can see at TD which is cinder block concession stands.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  4:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the locationa and I love the fountains, but I'm really there to watch the game. I've been to the K so many times now that I'm really sure how much I sit and stare at the fountains anymore. I really like their scoreboard too. Not just the big one but the others around Rivals, their HOF and the ribbons too.

Again, the comparision with the K is definitely a compliment to TD. I definitely agree with your writer on that.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking and traffic seem to be a huge improvement downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  08:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Parking and traffic will pick up a ton, once people get over their fear of going downtown during the series. Same sort of thing happens during the Olympics all the time. You see those stories where restaurants bring in tons of staff etc..and then go broke, because every local is scared to death of the hassle of staying in town for the event.

I'm sure there's a sociological name for it...but I'm guessing as people hear stories about how empty it is..they'll come back quick.

Just a guess
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  09:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amusing to me that people are/were scared to come downtown during the Series because of perceived parking woes.

How come it never deterred the jackholes that invariably planned trips to the zoo during the CWS?

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  10:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it will pick up but downtown is well equipped for the increase. The shuttles and such seem to be working great as well. I think Metro (the artist formerly know and Metro Area Transit) has done well too with the bus that just runs around downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  10:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was never a big one on fearing the parking down there. It's tough, but if you know where to look, it's fine. (Been that way for UNO games for years).

I do think the preceived notion that downtown is a packed mess is keeping a LOT of locals away.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  10:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI also to Omaha's longest running sports blogger: From today's World Hearld:

Water gushing: Water started rising up and spilling again into Izard Street a block north of TD Ameritrade Park.

The smelly water gushed up at 11th and Izard Streets this week near a Union Pacific train display and at 14th and Izard Streets. It also bubbled up between sidewalk cracks and around storm sewer inlets that the city previously had filled with concrete to stop earlier backups of storm sewer water.

People who work in the area were keeping a wary eye on the latest leaks Wednesday morning. “How deep is it going to get?” a man in a pickup shouted to Tim Barry, managing partner of Hot Shops Art Center. “This is not good,” Barry said. “This means we have water running underneath the street.”

But by early afternoon, the gushers and bubblers had ceased. Barry credited the city's efforts. “Public works has been great down here,” he said. “Every time they fix something, something else comes along. … Give them credit, they're addressing problems as they arise.”

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

FYI also to Omaha's longest running sports blogger: From today's World Hearld:

Water gushing: Water started rising up and spilling again into Izard Street a block north of TD Ameritrade Park.

The smelly water gushed up at 11th and Izard Streets this week near a Union Pacific train display and at 14th and Izard Streets. It also bubbled up between sidewalk cracks and around storm sewer inlets that the city previously had filled with concrete to stop earlier backups of storm sewer water.

People who work in the area were keeping a wary eye on the latest leaks Wednesday morning. “How deep is it going to get?” a man in a pickup shouted to Tim Barry, managing partner of Hot Shops Art Center. “This is not good,” Barry said. “This means we have water running underneath the street.”

But by early afternoon, the gushers and bubblers had ceased. Barry credited the city's efforts. “Public works has been great down here,” he said. “Every time they fix something, something else comes along. … Give them credit, they're addressing problems as they arise.”

FYI... I haven't been down there since Sunday afternoon, but prior to that, I'd spent several hours by that very display at 11th and Izard over the previous few days. The only smell I noticed was that pumping station, and the only water I saw was that storm sewer by the Hot Shops.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  1:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell, half the visitors have left town anyway, so it doesn't matter if the whole river comes down the street at this point. As long as they get it cleaned up prior to the big Kid Rock show.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the air was a little rough on Sunday, or at least that was what was being broadcast on the radio. The out of towner's noticed. It's a one year deal though, nothing I'm the least bit concerned about.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  4:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scored a brick from the blatt auction today for $35. Nice piece of memorabilia. Good for displaying at home. Or, I think some might prefer throwing them through the front window of Werner Park. Not that I'd condone that, just the general vibe I get here from a select few.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  4:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like the air was a little rough on Sunday, or at least that was what was being broadcast on the radio. The out of towner's noticed. It's a one year deal though, nothing I'm the least bit concerned about.

Greg

I was at 11th and Izard for three hours on Saturday, and didn't smell anything. Maybe I need to try a different brand of antiperspirant.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  9:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

Greg

I was at 11th and Izard for three hours on Saturday, and didn't smell anything. Maybe I need to try a different brand of antiperspirant.

This was on Sunday. A guy from Baseball America was outside the media entrance and asking them what the bad smell was outside the stadium. It was just before the first pitch of the first game.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  04:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there for about 9 hours on Sunday and didn't smell anything unusual. Maybe he was smelling his fellow writers.

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  09:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it the smell ebbs and flows based on the water level of the sewer but this guy definitely noticed it and they were talking about it just before the first pitch of the first game on the radio coverage Sunday.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mistyped...I was at 11th and Izard on Sunday, not Saturday.

But yes, I think the smell does ebb and flow, and there may be an issue with one manhole cover along Cuming. I was walking there a week ago on Wednesday, and smelled something just west of 12th and Cuming...then walked 10 feet away, and the smell was gone.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  2:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope I'm not making a big deal of this. It's something that's happenening this year that probably won't ever happen again. I know the merchants in the Hot Shops area have noticed the smell at times too. But again, probably won't happen again (the flooding) and I think the sewer separattion will fix it anyway.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very positive review of the park:

http://img1.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/td-ameritrade-park-omaha-s919/
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  11:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a really nice stadium and done well...no dobut.

All the politics around it are what make it suck.
Go to Top of Page

cowpuck
Freshman Mav

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  6:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

This was on Sunday. A guy from Baseball America was outside the media entrance and asking them what the bad smell was outside the stadium. It was just before the first pitch of the first game.

Greg
[/quote]

Maybe it was/is the left over smell of Fahey's way of doing buiness in this city.

Aside from that, I like the atmosphire around the stadium, and I believe it will only get better with time.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve Pivovar's review and comparision:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110629/CWS/706299796/-1#pivovar-omaha-traded-unique-for-generic-with-ballpark
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  08:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like something I would have written and have been saying for quite a while. I kinda think the McStadium (love that name) is kinda going to be the consensus after a while on the place.

I couldn't have said this better myself...

quote:
We traded unique for generic. We had a chance to put Omaha's stamp on the new place.

Instead, we built an outdoor television studio for ESPN, complete with grass infield. We gave the NCAA the nondescript venue it wanted for its championship. At first glance, it's hard to tell if we're in Omaha or Boise.

It's like I've said, this ballpark structure could exist in anytown USA. There's nothing Omaha about it. It's comfortable, roomy, and an above adequate place to watch a ballgame, but it's not unique in any way.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  11:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be the most nausiating, vomit-enducing, steaming pile of Pelini I've ever read. "Thanks to Dennis Poppe, Mike Fahey, MECA and the NCAA?"

Are you f*cking serious? And this is an editorial no less, not some crack pot in the public pulse.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110629/NEWS0802/706299962#world-herald-editorial-a-home-run-for-omaha
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  11:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did what you wanted, and they did precisely what you expected them not to do. Don't you remember how this terrific topic began?
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

If you do not build a new stadium...be it now or in the next few years..you will lose the CWS.

Well, they built a new stadium. And the NCAA gave Omaha the CWS for 25 years. Yes, it's a generic stadium and the Royals AAA team is playing in Sarpy County.

But what could anyone put in the stadium that would make it say "Omaha" other than the event itself? Seriously, does anything say "Omaha" better than the CWS? I mean, besides the Berkshire meeting?

And as for the Royals, Omaha had a choice: make the NCAA happy or make the AAA Royals happy. It's not a great choice to have to make, but the city clearly chose the right one. And Omaha keeps the CWS for 24 more years as a result.

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and despite how some would make you think that the Omaha minor league baseball team now resides somewhere between India and Pakistan, they were also kept in the Omaha metro area.

I'll take a bland stadium and one in the burbs if it means we got to keep both teams/events. It's a win/win for everyone.

Yeah, the downtown ballpark is generic and Werner cut some corners, but we still have our baseball.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  11:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavEconomist

They did what you wanted, and they did precisely what you expected them not to do. Don't you remember how this terrific topic began?

SO you read the first post and nothing else? Did you not miss the dog and pony show of how we got here? Did you miss MECA threatening to file a lawsuit against the city (Sound odd to you?) for wanting to put a ballpark in THEIR (say that again...THEIR) parking lot? You don't remember the shady politics behind Fehey slamming the funding through and then bolting town? You don't remember the complete sham that was the negotiations between the Royals and the city?"

"You're going to have to make some concessions here, starting with parking. You'll have to charge your fans 6 bucks each to park"

"WTF? See ya"

You don't remember any of this? And to thank the NCAA for standing in the shadows and causing all of htis, while not saying a PEEP about wanting a new stadium, even though everybody and their cat knew that is what was going on? Is any of this ring a bell?

This is not about the stadium(s). The stadium(s) is great. This is about the shady, back room politics and ego trips that caused what should have been a crowning achievment..and turned it into an unneccarily embarassing battle of egos between men who were never elected, men who were about to quit their elected posts and people who live in Indiana and Kentucky.

Pay attention
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have paid attention. In fact, I joined you several times in bemoaning the expectation (unfulfilled) that Omaha would blow it. And I agreed with you often about several little things concerning location of the stadium, the Royals, ticket prices, blah, blah, and blah. Thank you for remembering my participation.

Of course there were backroom deals. There always are. Of course the whole thing was driven by people who live in Indiana. Anything involving the NCAA will necessarily involve people who live in Indiana (among other places).

Omaha kept the CWS. That is what matters. Keeping the CWS was never about, and could never be about, where/when the Royals play. And if the city had chosen otherwise, you would have complained about how Fahey, et al., blew a golden opportunity.

MECA did NOT file their stupid lawsuit (although they would have lost it anyway) and the Royals got what they really wanted anyway (a second stadium without having to schedule around the much-more-important-to-Omaha CWS). "The sky is blue and we don't know what to do." I also recall you defending Sokol after he was dropped from MECA by Mayor Suttle for not being registered to vote in Omaha and for being a complete celery stick (see threatened lawsuit above).

In the end, Omaha got what it wanted. Miraculous, though that seems now. And the World-Herald was right to thank all those involved even while their infighting could have left Omaha with nothing.

You're right, though. It's not about the stadium. But, then, it's NEVER BEEN about the stadium. It is, and has been all along, about keeping the CWS in Omaha.

See, I have paid attention.

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  4:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did think the nickname McStadium was funny. I guess going forward if some on here are going to use Trailer Park for Werner then McStadium should be used for TD.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000