Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  12:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's my point Greg.

The sewers are already backing up...there is water coming up everywhere. The OWH had a map that said if it rains there could be 4 feet of water in the parking lot near the Qwest Center. My whole point is...there comes a time where putting on your Welcome Wagon hat should come second behind protecting the people that sent you to office. (Twice).

The backhanded slap at Hamburg was classless and pathetic.

With that being said...I can picture Stein holding a straight face while making that phone call. The fact he made it is flat-out awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  5:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flooding at the CWS is now on the front page ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6667803

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  10:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking was an absolute nightmare at Werner tonight. No way of knowing before you get in line to get into the complex if the lots are full. They need a sign on the edge of the property or on 370 that says if the lots are full. Luckily, I left early and got in before the game started, but a friend of mine didn't get in till the 4th inning. They will certainly cost themselves business if they don't rectify this situation. The new spots they added still aren't enough. You simply can't have a ballpark in a cornfield with nothing but open land in every direction with insufficient parking. A buddy of mine didn't get into the ballpark till the 4th inning. After sittin in line for a half hour he was instructed to drive back to Papio South. Then, there were hundreds of people waiting for the lone bus to take them back to the park. They were with a 2 year old in tow. Simply unacceptable.

The new park has been almost universally loved by everyone I've talked to that's visited, but the situation could cause negative word of mouth to spread quickly. The burbs are supposed to be an easy and convenient location and sitting in a half hour line to enter a complex only to be told to drive a mile back down the road is anything but convenient. I love the product and love the ballpark, but this is not a good situation and since most summer night games will likely draw large crowds like this, a better plan is needed.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

That's my point Greg.

The sewers are already backing up...there is water coming up everywhere. The OWH had a map that said if it rains there could be 4 feet of water in the parking lot near the Qwest Center. My whole point is...there comes a time where putting on your Welcome Wagon hat should come second behind protecting the people that sent you to office. (Twice).

The backhanded slap at Hamburg was classless and pathetic.

With that being said...I can picture Stein holding a straight face while making that phone call. The fact he made it is flat-out awesome.

Meanwhile, while AJ was posting all that, they were publishing evacuation plans and the like just to be on the safe side.

And, of course, the difference between Hamburg and Omaha is that there is a little more protection between downtwon Omaha and the river and Hamburg and the river. But he's just a h8er.

Oh, it's ONE sewer that's backing up and water coming up "everywhere" is a couple of spots in a city of 400,000 people.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  10:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to Game 3 this afternoon. As I've said, I was reserving final judgement on TD for the CWS when it would be full of life unlike the sterile and boring atmosphere I had seen at CU games. Final verdict? Wonderful. The atmosphere around the stadium immediately surpasses anything at Rosenblatt. I was never a huge fan of the endurance test that was attending a CWS game at the Blatt. Driving down narrow streets to pay some yokel $10 to park in their front lawn, trudging miles through neighborhood streets, and then wading chest to chest with thousands of people trying to get to your seat in Rosenblatt's narrow concourses.

The experience downtown is vibrant, full of great shopping and dining options, and I'll go as far as to say my first game there far surpasses any other CWS experience I've ever had. Yeah, the inside of the ballpark is still generic and boring, but it's much more tolerable when the seats are filled with fans wearing different colored t-shirts rather than the empty blue seats and concrete that you see when the games aren't as well attended for Creighton. And, no matter what, it's a very comfortable experience. Lots of room in your seats and lots of leg room. Much better than the oppressive experience of sitting in those narrow seats at the blatt with sweaty shirtless guy sitting next to you. Basically, any last shred of pining for the Blatt I had in regards to the CWS went away as soon as I set foot into the area surrounding TD today.

At the end of the day, Omaha got exactly what it needed.

The CWS is already a better event downtown. Period.

Minor League baseball is a better event at Werner Park (just get some more parking out there). I would have hated watching them downtown, but Werner makes for a great night out that you couldn't get in a 24k stadium.

End of story.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  11:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been to a game at either park yet but l like that post. Sweaty shirtless guy, that's funny. I would like to say though that the Blatt will always have a special something, ambience or whatever. But I'll probably agree with nouseforacapitalletter (you did good on that post however) after I get to a game at the Trade..
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been to a game yet (and probably won't this year due to schedule and a sick kid), but we did attend the opening ceremony. The inside of Ameritrade gives you a definite "big league" environment. It's not 40-50k like most MLB parks, but it screams "big time". I was also downtown all afternoon yesterday working, and all those complaints about parking and traffic downtown were completely unfounded. I drove past the stadium before gametime, and traffic moves very smoothly. Those legendary traffic jams on 13th street are a bad memory.

Someone should be able to leave West Omaha at 5 pm in the height of rush hour traffic, and make it into the stadium for the first pitch of a 6 pm game. They'll likely have to pay $20 to park unfortunately, but the environment downtown is so much more conducive to the College World Series, it's not even close in terms of comparison.

And if you don't want to pay to park, I did spot some free spots by the Civic as I drove away last night. Yeah, that's far...but as I recall, people regularly filled the side streets a dozen blocks away by Rosenblatt.

Looking out the window over downtown right now, the streets are pretty much clear (other than a little bit of congestion on Cuming). Bleachers are about 1/3 full about a half-hour before first pitch. And even with the rain last night, lot D is completely dry. Should be a low-scoring game; the wind is blowing straight in from center field.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda question their logic behind keeping the playing dimensions the same as they were at rosenblatt. It's like they just now figured out that the wind will usually always be blowing in and they are going to get alot of low scoring games with precious few homers. doesn't bother me, as someone who can appreciate the game without home runs, but it seems like knowing the winds would make it tougher to hit there they could have moved the fences in 5-10 feet. 408 is big for college standards. It's even big for some major league parks.

I can't go as far as to say that the park feels big time. As they've said, it's a different park than any in baseball. As someone that's attended hundreds of MLB games in my life, I would say it's "Bigish time". It's simply not a MLB ballpark and doesn't feel that way. Nor should it be held to those standards. However, it feels closer to big time than any MILB park and any college park.

Like I said, I could never go back to seeing a game at Rosenblatt after this. Both new omaha ballparks are too comfortable, too many amenities, too easy to get to. etc.

Rosenblatt is a fond memory. Like the VCR, UHF, Atari 2600, etc.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  2:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And 408 fences with the new college bats. Not one HR has been hit to center, granted not many games have been played there yet and only by Creighton and other MVC teams and a few by Nebraska so not exactly the talent/power of Florida or whatever other top teams. They could've moved the fences in a tad to maintain the offense/entertainment value while the deadened bats can ensure the safety of the pitcher.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is the NCAA wanted the same dimensions. They made the city push the outfield wall back at Rosenblatt in a previous contract. They don't like a lot of homeruns in games. I think they also wanted the fence around the outfield wall to keep fans back. However, that fence has caused some issues for umpires. Florida got robbed of a homerun against Texas after the ball bounced off the fence back onto the field.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  2:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, if that's what the NCAA wanted, they got it. It's going to have the feel of early 1980's mlb baseball there most times with pitching at a premium and lots and lots of small ball being played. baserunning, moving runners over, etc will be key.

As a baseball fan, I like that style. I'll certainly take it over the 21-14 gorillaball style of the 90's that made so many people think NCAA baseball was a joke.

Still, for the casual fan, people still dig home runs. Not going to see alot of that there. So, for the average person, I believe they will see the CWS as a more boring brand of baseball vs. what they routinely saw at Rosenblatt the last decade (after gorillaball ended)
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  3:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I haven't been to a game yet (and probably won't this year due to schedule and a sick kid), but we did attend the opening ceremony. The inside of Ameritrade gives you a definite "big league" environment. It's not 40-50k like most MLB parks, but it screams "big time". I was also downtown all afternoon yesterday working, and all those complaints about parking and traffic downtown were completely unfounded. I drove past the stadium before gametime, and traffic moves very smoothly. Those legendary traffic jams on 13th street are a bad memory.

Someone should be able to leave West Omaha at 5 pm in the height of rush hour traffic, and make it into the stadium for the first pitch of a 6 pm game. They'll likely have to pay $20 to park unfortunately, but the environment downtown is so much more conducive to the College World Series, it's not even close in terms of comparison.

And if you don't want to pay to park, I did spot some free spots by the Civic as I drove away last night. Yeah, that's far...but as I recall, people regularly filled the side streets a dozen blocks away by Rosenblatt.

Looking out the window over downtown right now, the streets are pretty much clear (other than a little bit of congestion on Cuming). Bleachers are about 1/3 full about a half-hour before first pitch. And even with the rain last night, lot D is completely dry. Should be a low-scoring game; the wind is blowing straight in from center field.

When I went to the first game at TD (NU/Creighton) I parked by Civic and it was an easy walk. Definitely better than most of my recent ones for the CWS at Rosenblatt.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  12:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:

When I went to the first game at TD (NU/Creighton) I parked by Civic and it was an easy walk. Definitely better than most of my recent ones for the CWS at Rosenblatt.

Greg

At 5:30 last night, there were a few spots left in the new MECA lots at 12th and Capitol for $10. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of spots in the parking garage across the street for $15. I think the parking lot owners are finding that the supply of parking downtown exceeds demand. One lot already cut their price from $35 to $20 a day.

Granted, the threat of rain likely held down the crowds yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  1:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, remember last night as of 3pm they had 1100 tickets still available. The people who shied away because of the weather were proven right, but I've honestly never seen that many tickets for a single session available 3 hours before the game in my life. So, I kinda get why no one grabed them up, but last night isn't a good guage of parking at all. I'm guessing they probably had one of the most sparsely populated single sessions in years (not just in the stadium, but around it) as people headed home for shelter last night.

BTW, seeing on lots of message boards about the relative unpreparedness of the evacuation plan and that employees in the stadium had little idea of where to direct people and what to do. I would have figured after the CU basketball vs. Kentucky debacle of a couple of years ago, they'd have had their ducks in a row down there.

Also, I wonder what kind of plan Werner has as there's nowhere around there to shelter 8k people. That may be one of those duck and cover situations. Metrofan, do you have any idea what the plan is at Werner?
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Creighton NIT game they just had everybody move out of the concourses and into the arena. It wasn't an issue at all.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a giant disaster behind the scenes and for people that were coming into the building. Employees had no idea where to send people. There were news storys documenting that the employees were attempting to rig up a pa system in the hallway to make announcements about where people were supposed to go that were coming in, but by the time it was set up, the warnings were basically over. I remember alot of people saying that confusion reigned in the lobby.

In the arena, no one had any idea whether they should delay the game. No one could quite even figure out who had the authority to delay it. Was it MECA? Was it Creighton? No one was really sure.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  08:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw where merchants in the Old Market have been disappointed with the series downtown so far. The tent has O Casual dining has already shut down. The guys from Grow Omaha commented on the lack of crowds making it to the Old Market.

I also had a friend who's a long time series regular who mentioned that the activities downtown seemed too spread apart and that has kind of hurt the atmoshpere outside the stadium. They mentioned the same thing on the radio this morning.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Old_Market_Businesses_Suffer_during_CWS_124331244.html
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  09:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pauli's on 40th and Leavenworth has also seen a significant decline in attendance.

The bulk of people attending the CWS are locals. When the series was in South Omaha, people would still go downtown to the Old Market and for events like the Summer Arts Festival (which used to be held during the series).

People had decades to figure out the "ebb-and-flow" of the College World Series in that locale. It will take some time to do the same thing now that it is downtown.

I've always believed most of the people attending the series come park near the facility (or shuttle in), go to the game(s), and leave at the conclusion. Some brick-and-mortar establishments along 13th Street near Rosenblatt benefited, but we weren't talking about hundreds of businesses (and business-owned hospitality tents) strewn about down there.

In my mind, it is sort of the "zoo effect" happening in downtown proper. The notion that parking is going to be impossible is stifling "general" patronage to some of these businesses.

Plus, we have heard that they offered relatively reasonable rental rates for "tents" on some of the vacant lots (and in older buildings in NoDo) which has created more immediate access to food and beverages near the stadium.

I don't know how that will shake out in the long term for these businesses. We haven't been downtown yet during the series, but we'll have to check things out at some point.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  09:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there was alot of laziness among the old market business owners. I think alot of them thought they could simply set up a tent out front and the money would just roll in.

They need to be a little more proactive and have people handing out fliers and coupons near the ballpark. Otherwise, just too many choices downtown.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  10:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot going on in North Downtown and around the stadium. I haven't even made it over to the vendors by the Qwest Center yet. So it doesn't surprise me one bit the traffic isn't flowing over to the Old Market. The Matt's baseball village alone gives people all the entertainment they need. Throw in the tailgating, riverfront, hotels, bars, permanent and temporary stores, and there really isn't any need to leave the stadium. Film Streams is showing classic baseball movies, and there's even free bike valet parking at the bike shop.

There's a lot of promotion from other districts and establishments, but the Old Market has been quiet throughout the series. They will definitely have to get aggressive and creative if they want to capture some of the CWS traffic. They'll have to offer a different experience and communicate it. It'll be even more important next year with the swim trials.

One thing I've heard a lot of from visitors, especially in the GA line, is that they are tired of buying expensive meals at restaurants every day. The Old Market could position themselves as the place to get a few groceries to prepare your own meals, gas, and other convenience items.

Perhaps they could hold a farmers market during the week or have large 'Old Market' signs all along 10th St. Each time I've used the circulator I've been one of the few locals, and people didn't seem to know about the Old Market let alone the fact they were passing through it. They could change their theme to target the baseball crowd like North Downtown businesses have done; hold a sports memorabilia auction or sell little league equipment for all the youth teams that are in town. Figure something out instead of hoping the party crowd and families are looking for an expensive piece of abstract art or furniture between games.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  11:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to see how this event evolves downtown. I do think the owners in the Old Market got caught way off guard with their lack of business. I think you're right in that they need to educate more, hopefully that helps. As mentioned by Jon, Pauli's also seems to be a casualty of the move.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, did anyone read Jim Delaney's proposals in the OWH on Sunday? Said he wants to see two spots in the CWS held back for Northern teams. Or, as opposing coaches have said, Big 10 teams.

I found that beyond idiotic. How about we hold back two spots in the NCAA hockey tournament for "southern teams". I bet Alabama-Huntsville would be very excited about that.

Kinda off topic, but I found it interesting.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't fit my entire review here...but since I've been involved with you folks on the subject.

http://bit.ly/lPEFpc
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Meanwhile, while AJ was posting all that, they were publishing evacuation plans and the like just to be on the safe side.

And, of course, the difference between Hamburg and Omaha is that there is a little more protection between downtwon Omaha and the river and Hamburg and the river. But he's just a h8er.

Oh, it's ONE sewer that's backing up and water coming up "everywhere" is a couple of spots in a city of 400,000 people.

Ironic now that every news outlet in the country is making fun of MECA and the NCAA for not having a CLUE what to do in case of an evacuation after the storm the other night.

Wow, you should go to Vegas with that sort of insight.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Jim Delaney's ideas sound crazy, the man has a lot of power and influence. I don't think his suggestion is viable, but it opens the conversation as to how to make northern schools more competitive in college baseball.

Sometimes you throw out crazy ideas just to see what the reaction is and to express your position that something needs to change.

As for downtown businesses, I think a lot of businesses made wild assumptions that the CWS downtown was going to be like having a Federal Reserve engraving machine in their back room. Just sit back and count the money. People thought they could charge $35 a day to park are now learning otherwise. The Holland Center is already offering hot dogs specials on GroupOn, for example:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/holland-performing-arts-center

There's just so much more around Ameritrade than Rosenblatt, so that's obviously diluting the ability of the Old Market to pull people that direction.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting read AJ. Can't say I disagree with you on any of your points. BTW, I said 2 months ago that it was basically Kauffman without the upper deck, fountains, and scoreboard. Guess it's just that obvious. The DM register agrees with me...

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/06/17/2011-college-world-series-day-1-first-impressions-of-td-ameritrade-park/
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, I'll give you that.

It's weird because you get down there...and you're like, "Man..this is really cool. This makes sense". And then you realize in a week the whole place will be silent.

It's really cool and really terrible at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just was reading on another random out of town message board discussing minor league ballparks where someone was like, "just went to the CWS in Omaha. Amazing. The Storm Chasers play there right? That's gotta be the best Minor League Park in baseball hands down." Then, people had to explain the whole saga to this confused person.

To out of towners, it probably sounds exceptionally bizarre, but it is what it is. It makes sense to many of us that live here if you're in tune with the politics and players behind the whole thing. I don't expect non-baseball fans and out of towners to ever get it.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=804669&start=12
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  3:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Interesting read AJ. Can't say I disagree with you on any of your points. BTW, I said 2 months ago that it was basically Kauffman without the upper deck, fountains, and scoreboard. Guess it's just that obvious. The DM register agrees with me...

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/06/17/2011-college-world-series-day-1-first-impressions-of-td-ameritrade-park/

I agree on Kauffman and like the writer said, that's a compliment. Also at Kauffman, you're looking at I70 and a few odd buildings. TD's got downtown, the river and the Kerry Bridge. As someone who goes to Kauffman multiple times a year and has since the 70's, TD has more space once you are in the seats.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000