Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  08:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They still do a lot of that stuff. A great deal. It still did not bring in the crowds at the 'blatt though.

One thing you see and I believe will continue to see at Werner is more consistent crowd sizes. At Mike has pointed out, you won't have the occasional 18-20k crowds that you had at the 'blatt (4th of July), or even the 14k ones. Those spikes really drove the attendance there. What you will have is actual attenance on most dates of 5k or more at Werner.

True story, years ago I went to a weeknight game at Rosemblatt to watch Zack Greinke pitch early in the season on a weeknight. He was on the way up through the system and I was excited to see him pitch in Omaha. It was a cooler night with a chance of rain. I think at best there was 50 people at the game. I moved down and watched with a friend and we sat just a few rows behind home plate. John Sickels who was writing for ESPN was down the row from us. The attendance was reported to be a few thousand which I'm assuming was season ticket holders that did not show and tickets sold. I just don't see that happening at Werner Park.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah. It's like we've said, all teams pad the actual to an extent but some do it worse than others. There were games at the Blatt where I counted 100-200 people and they'd announce 2k. I guess the tickets are sold, but at Werner I saw actuals around 1-2k for those early april games.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  11:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we get back to the topic at hand? Bashing MECA.

Looks like the Red Pie in the Sky Festival fell a bit flat.

http://omaha.com/article/20110610/NEWS01/706109993#red-sky-festival-falls-1-band-short
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd heard for weeks it was supposed to be Jay Z. Guessing that fell through. just comes of amateurish that they announced a 6 day festival, waited till a month out, and then back peddled with their tails between their legs with a collection of sup par bands and only 5 headliners.

I had someone who knows about this stuff try to defend it to me, but I don't see it. Says Kid Rock and Zac Brown are good gets and are legitimate ampitheater draws, but it still feels like a level of bands that could have done just as well at Stir and certainly not up to the grandiose stuff they were hinting at when this was first announced.

And no matter what anyone says, announcing 6 days and only having 5 headliners is a hugely embarrasing failure. Should have just cancelled the 6th day altogether.

C'mon AJ. Zebrahead is just a phone call away. Throw Roger a bone. it's not too late.

It's like they said, this is building for the future. I'm hopeful that this gets better in later years, but this kinda comes off as a black eye right now with the lack of a full schedule
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Can we get back to the topic at hand? Bashing MECA.

Looks like the Red Pie in the Sky Festival fell a bit flat.

http://omaha.com/article/20110610/NEWS01/706109993#red-sky-festival-falls-1-band-short

Bit flat would be an understatement. Obviously the people who started the U2 and Jimmy Buffet rumors either were (a) clueless or (b) lying.

I understand the country music folks like the acts that are coming in, though.

On the good news side, the Nighthawks schedule is out with 2 Sunday games (August 21st and September 18th), a Friday night (September 30th), and a Saturday (October 15th-a Husker bye week). Hopefully that Sunday 9/18 game is an afternoon affair.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the nighthawks schedule is really great for them if the NFL doesn't play.
Go to Top of Page

MavML
Sophomore Mav

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my day they bring in Head East at the last minute. Or REO Speedwagon!

The shadow of the Wicker man is rising up again!
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red Sky definitely has not lived up to the Jimmy Buffett/U2 hype. That being said it's still better than anything we've had before and can hope that it builds (these type of events in Omaha usually do. I'm not a country guy but I've heard the same thing, that crowd is pretty fired up with the line up.

GReg
Go to Top of Page

lynchicemav
Old Sage With Infrequent Posts

193 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Fabulous Rogues might be available!
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  09:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biggest crowd yet. You are now seeing what they will be drawing during the summer.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  08:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daily Deal Omaha on Omaha.com has half price tickets for the 4th of July deal at TD.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  08:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$4 for kids and $6 for adults is a good deal. not an event that interests me though. didn't draw well at the blatt last year and most of the players struggled to hit home runs. I don't know if they use game bats or some roided out demo bats, but if they use the gamers they will struggle to hit many this year too. Fireworks show will be sweet, but I already have tix to the Chasers game that night.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw a blurb at the bottom of the article on TD this morning that mentioned some safety railing is blocking the view of a small number of seats? Had anyone heard anything about this before?

Sounds like they've also scaled back on the food offering to speed up concessions. Does not sound like that whole problem has been fixed as they are now advising not to go at peak times for food during the games.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a engineer or geologist of any kind...but I'm guessing the NCAA idiot D-bags who said last week that "worrying about flooding isn't even on our radar" might want to rethink that statement.

http://omaha.com/article/20110615/NEWS01/706159888#water-swallows-parking-slots

If one of the primary levees breaks...a baseball tournament is the least of our concerns. Those things were not designed to hold back THAT much water for an extended period of time.

This is a really big deal and the NCAA/MECA are showing thier supreme d0uchebaggery skills in downplaying it.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new ballpark is very nice, and I think people will enjoy getting to walk from their downtown hotels to the stadium, but it's what's going on *around* the stadium that could be a problem.

I don't have a sense of smell anymore (lost it at age 16), but I've heard that there is a not-so-sweet smell around TD Ameritrade from the sewer backups... Yikes!!

Also, they lose 200 parking spots in the Qwest lot and say that they'll "make those up" somewhere else ... ???? I don't get that.

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I just saw a blurb at the bottom of the article on TD this morning that mentioned some safety railing is blocking the view of a small number of seats? Had anyone heard anything about this before?

Sounds like they've also scaled back on the food offering to speed up concessions. Does not sound like that whole problem has been fixed as they are now advising not to go at peak times for food during the games.

Greg

I went to get concessions during the Mo Valley Championship game. Took me 30 minutes to get a hot dog and pretzel. Pitiful.

They have serious problems with their concessions. I don't understand why. I thought a new stadium was supposed to speed things up but the lines and wait times are longer down there than at Rosenblatt.

However, as AJ said, with the water now seeping into parking lots this is looking bad and if a levee breaks, concessions at a baseball game will be the least of anyones concern.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah with this being the first year, not a good time to have the water issues. I was wondering about the sewer issues.

I'm kind of surprised they are still having concession issues. Hopefully they bring in a bunch more of the portable carts to help out.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems they may have addressed the biggest problem which is too many offerings. I mean, c'mon, it's not a sit down restaurant. You need to be able to get people in and out in a couple of minutes. It doesn't make sense to offer 100 different menu options if each one takes 10 minutes to prepare.

I've seen a little of this at Werner too, but not to nearly the absurd levels TD has shown. At Werner, the lines at extreme pizza and La Mesa are always the longest. They are the ones you can customize your toppings the most as well. Just need to go ahead and keep it simple. There's room for variety, but not as much in the way of customization. Stuff should be grab and go.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that Levy (Qwest/Ameritrade concessions) was expecting a smaller crowd for the Mo. Valley tournament, and didn't have the right amount of staff on hand. They have to realize this is "all-hands-on-deck" starting Friday.

I walked around Ameritrade just after lunch yesterday. I didn't smell anything; my understanding is the main problem is a sewer a couple blocks north of the stadium. Lot D is 100% dry now; looks like they had crews working on the problem last night, and even with the rain last night, the water's gone. Lot is a mess from mud and landscaping mulch, though. Crews are working on it right now.

Along the right field concourse, the "Famous Dave's" cart has two siblings right next to it, and there are a bunch of tents on the concourse as well, probably for concessions as well. Bunting is now up on the second tier, though they still need to replace the "Miller Lite" sign on the scoreboard along the third base side.

Tents are popping up everywhere in north downtown. As long as the levee holds, it's going to be quite the event downtown.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right...

I'm just saying, I've been there twice now and concessions have been an absolute train wreck both times. complete and utter mess.

So, they can blame it on whatever they want. FAct of the matter is they've dropped the ball at 2 of the 3 biggest events they've held there since the place opened. That's just sad.

If they've got it all figured out, why are they feeling the need to warn people when are better times to get in line and when to sit in your seat. The article in the OWH makes it sound like they are making excuses in advance as well, "well, some of these people are volunteers."

I guess I'll say I haven't had that problem to anywhere near that extent in "BFE" even on nights when they have had large crowds.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  3:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think in the end it will be fine. Obviously this flood stuff is nothing that we could have expected. With this being a first time event DT it would have been nice to have the extra part to deal with. Hopefully Levy has their act together. I do think this is great for downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  08:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Dennis F'ing Poppe of the NCAA...even a "catastrophic breach" of the levees downtown would not flood the stadium. ORLY? Funny..because so far, the water is taking some parking lots and manhole covers are being blown off. And apparently the answer is to pump water out via the sewer system? That seems a bit risky, considering water is already pouring upward from those things.

Funny of Stein to "offer" Werner Park. I wonder how hard he was chuckling when he made that call?

http://omaha.com/article/20110616/NEWS01/706169864#cws-and-flooding-what-if
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  10:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I find funny is that one of the supposed sticking points for the Royals...err Storm Chasers... was having to leave for two weeks in the middle of the season. And now with their own new stadium to control and schedule whenever they want, they don't have a home game for almost two weeks.

For the record and despite my cynicism, I don't fault them for wanting their own stadium and I understand it's just a matter of timing and it won't always be this way. Just thought it was funny that the first year with their new digs and they didn't seem to take advantage.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, with the Blatt, they had to vacate before the CWS started, pack up their offices, and weren't able to start a home series till after the CWS ended. With the CWS ending on a monday for years they weren't able to come back till that next thursday for friday (based on the PCL schedules). So, it was more like 3 full weeks without a home game. This year they go 8 days without a home game. big difference.

They no longer have to pack up those offices either. another big difference.

It's not like they are going to try to take on the CWS every day each year. that would be foolish, but at least now they can have games whenever they want and don't have to beg the league for a schedule change.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  10:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nouse is correct...with this year's CWS schedule and comapring it to past years, the triple A team would have been gone from June 13-June 30. This year they had 9 games scheduled during that timeframe that they could not have had in the past.

The PCL sets the schedule anyway guys, not the chasers.

CWS at Werner...yea, ok. Like that would ever happen.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  10:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know. I get it. Just a little funny. I also misread the article. I would never have rounded 8 days up to two weeks. My bad.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  11:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

CWS at Werner...yea, ok. Like that would ever happen.

Pretty sure Stein was doing/saying that to be an a-hole. Kind of the same way the "S.C." on their hats JUST SO HAPPEN to be the initials for "sarpy county".

The NCAA and MECA would rather play that game in the Bakers parking lot at 30th and Webber than give the Golden Storm Royals a chance to gloat. No possible way on earth he was actually serious, and I applaud him for being a d*ck about it.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  12:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

According to Dennis F'ing Poppe of the NCAA...even a "catastrophic breach" of the levees downtown would not flood the stadium. ORLY? Funny..because so far, the water is taking some parking lots and manhole covers are being blown off. And apparently the answer is to pump water out via the sewer system? That seems a bit risky, considering water is already pouring upward from those things.

Funny of Stein to "offer" Werner Park. I wonder how hard he was chuckling when he made that call?

http://omaha.com/article/20110616/NEWS01/706169864#cws-and-flooding-what-if

The Qwest Center parking lots appear rather level, but they actually slope towards the river and it's probably 20-30 feet higher than Rick's Cafe. Even if the levee broke, the water probably wouldn't reach the ballpark. On the other side, it's much flatter. The World-Herald had a map that showed half of Council Bluffs would be underwater if the levee broke on that side.

As for Stein's "offer", that was just Stein grandstanding. He knows there is no way the NCAA would move the series to BFE. If Ameritrade were to go out of commission for any reason, the city would have so many issues that the teams would have to evacuate the metro area anyway. Many team hotels would be flooded, and public safety would demand the series be moved well outside the region or postponed.

I can only imagine what the reaction of the NCAA and MECA was to Stein's phone call, and subsequent press releases to the media. He probably didn't win himself any friends with that stunt.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Stein helped in the negotiations that led to TD Ameritrade. I remember he did it to help Omaha not the Storm Chasers. He is well thought of Omaha and has friends here..

The big issue for TD is rain and the sewers.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  12:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could be some smugness behind it, but...

in any event itís way too small. Who gets the tickets? Who gets left out?

Of course, may still draw better at 9k a session in Sarpy than it would in another city when moved there on a weeks notice even if a facility were available. Think of travel costs too since most teams already here.

I think there could have been some truth to what heís saying.

Still, I think things will work out fine downtown.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000