Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  3:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an article in Omaha Magazine and they referenced it's designed to go to 34k.....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to TD Ameritrade for the first time this afternoon. Nice simple park. Seats way down the line aren't angled in towards the infield enough to stop sore necks ... neither my fatbootynor cell phone hit the arm rest of my seat as I sat down ... lots of leg room. The wide concourses are what people expect these days. Not a bad place for what we paid for it. Nice to see the Jays rap up the Valley also.

DBF
@Hoffin205
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  08:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me...or is Creighton baseball the new Creighton basketball? (ie - team averages 50 people...gets a new park..now everybody is a huge fan?)

Not saying it's wrong..just saying it's a pattern.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  11:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure yet. The big Creighton crowds you are seeing for baseball are there because of the free tickets.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  10:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humm, not a fan of the team, went to see the park thank you :) ... and yes the tickets were free - given to basketball season ticket holders.

DBF
@Hoffin205
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  10:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to our second game on Saturday (doubling our attendance at Creighton baseball games in pretty much most seasons). Sat behind home plate almost (thanks, Kathy!) -- a different view than last time (3rd base way out, and a peek at the Club seats).

A nice experience. RBI girls did a nice job but can't throw to save their lives (t-shirt toss). Bought some food this time around -- cheeseburger, basket of fries, and "souvenir" drink = $15. The food was pretty good, but pricy. What you'd expect from a MECA-run concession stand. Giant slices of pizza ($6 each) sounded good, but I didn't try it. Cheese-topped foccacia bread with dipping sauces sounded right up my alley, but was $12, so I passed.

Great to see Creighton wrap up the Valley championship. Will be interesting to see turnout for Mo Valley Conference tournament starting tomorrow. Interesting that Omaha is hosting it -- wasn't there controversy about NCAA not wanting either 1) games on the field prior to the CWS to prevent wear/tear and/or 2) tournament games being hald at the site of the championships??

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the NCAA would prefer the field see almost no use prior the CWS...and a retractable roof so there wouldn't be any rain delays, and a heating/cooling system to ensure their ultimate comfort.

On the other hand, the NCAA knows there is no Santa Claus. They can't have everything, and they know the stadium must be financially viable. So they have to put things into balance, knowing that there needs to be some other use for the stadium.

If the Omaha Royals were playing at TD Ameritrade, this would be a different issue. After the Mo Valley tournament, the stadium will sit empty for over two weeks. Plenty of time to fertilize, even plant some extra seed.

Plus, the operations people for MECA get some hands-on practice accommodating a tournament with multiple games each day with different teams.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  06:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now we learn about all the little things that weren't right at the Trailer Park...
quote:
Electrical and plumbing work in the visiting and home clubhouses proved to be among the more costly fixes. For example, stadium plans called for hookups appropriate for residential-size laundry machines, but the Omaha Storm Chasers purchased commercial-size equipment. So new electrical breakers and larger drains were installed at a cost $18,574.

“Residential washers and dryers are not going to work for teams with the amount of laundry they have,” Wayne said. “We got that fixed right away.

Again, nothing major...though a few humorous items that I'm sure someone yelled "WTF" at...
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110525/NEWS01/705259817

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  07:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh noes! Stop the presses!! A stadium plan had the wrong washing machines in the preliminary plans!! how amateurish and completely unacceptable. Truly a black eye for the metro area. I can't believe such a ghastly mistake was made. I don't know how Sarpy County will ever live this down!!!

I'm sure no other ballpark that's ever been built has made such monumental blunders. I can assure you of one thing, the right washing machines were in from the start downtown. Of course, this just shows what kind of rubes are running things in the sticks. bwahaha. simply unacceptables!!!!
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  07:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try not to hurt yourself, there, Sparky.

---
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  08:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I did hurt myself. It doesn't matter though. I feel really fired up about this washing machine stuff. It's unacceptable!!!!111!!!!!1!

Ok. I'm going to calm down now. I think my blood pressure is up to the point where I'm dangerously close to a heart attack or stroke right now.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of surprised this was newsworthy. First time I've read about a sports teams washing machines. Similar to TD's new paint needed to the blinding of the batter's. I guess just all part of the process.

I did see where they are setting attendance records at Werner. They have not even hit the peak season of business picnics yet either.

I'm going on a group outing in June with Keystone Little League.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine that there's a single ballpark or arena that has been built that didn't have numerous last minute issues that needed to be adjusted. I remember when the new Busch Stadium opened they had huge issues with drainage in the stadium bowl that caused walkways to the high dollar seats behind home plate to become flooded whenever it rained.

This stuff happens and is not newsworthy on the line item level for things like washing machines and chain link fences. The total cost catches the eye a bit, but like I said, this stuff happens.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  11:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the total cost was a joke. When I saw the the headline I was thinking in millions. With that big of a headline (it's the main story on Omaha.com right now) I was thinking it could even be ten million. When it turned out less than 300k I thought it was much ado about nothing when you're talking about a project of that size.

That park is a bargain. With the reviews coming in comparing it to the best parks for families below the MLB level, I think it's amazing what they did out there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  11:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a small sum of money when you consider the total cost of the project; however, for average people that know nothing on building stadiums, they will see a number like $250k and think it's a huge amount of money when it really isn't because it's a huge number to them. Seems like a slow news day at the OWH, so they are looking for anything to throw out there.

It certainly doesn't measure up to the cost of, let's say, building the Qwest Center and then turning around less than 3 years later and deciding you didn't build enough seats to begin with and adding a whole other balcony to the arena that could have been put in to begin with for less cost, but whatever.

Yes, it is a fantastic little ballpark. I honestly haven't encountered many people that have attended a game there that have had bad things to say about the place (outside of a photographer friend of mine that thinks there's insufficient light during night games to take pictures, but he's a different cat.) Most people I know or have talked to couldn't be happier with the place and guess what? The Storm Chasers are reporting increased attendance. Looks like everyone is happy all around despite this small cost of pre-opening upgrades.

Sure, I could sit here and post a list of about 10 different ways that they obviously cut cost on the place and gripe about it. Some of those things are obvious to the naked eye, but it is what it is. They built a comfortable and functional minor league ballpark on a shoestring budget. The final result we got was beyond my expectations for sure.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All about the continual rub with the OWH...can't believe that they actually report and write on items so insignificant AND that this wasn't a cost over run, as the money was in contengincy. Really shows how far some in the journalistic world have fallen.

On the other hand, Greg is correct...paint on batters eye, putting in turf too late, moving the foul poles, etc...nothing on those items (excpet paint) in the OWH.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

All about the continual rub with the OWH...can't believe that they actually report and write on items so insignificant AND that this wasn't a cost over run, as the money was in contengincy. Really shows how far some in the journalistic world have fallen.

On the other hand, Greg is correct...paint on batters eye, putting in turf too late, moving the foul poles, etc...nothing on those items (excpet paint) in the OWH.

No surprise. The OWH never criticizes the powers that be in this town. Ever see a piece even remotely critical of MECA? How about CU?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah and MECA has made its share of mistakes over the years (OAK Knights).

I'm waiting for the OWH story lambasting them for setting their sights to the moon on Red Sky and coming back with Jason Aldean, Zac Brown, and Journey.

Bet they won't though.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  1:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

moving the foul poles, etc...

When did they move the foul poles?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were set incorrectly during construction. Had to be taken out and put back in.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

They were set incorrectly during construction. Had to be taken out and put back in.

Greg

When?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  9:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they discovered the problem in December/January. It was discussed in February in the TD Ameritrade Construction thread.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went back and scanned the TD Ameritrade Construction Thread from November through March and didn't find a single mention of the foul poles needing to be moved. Or the sod being installed too late.

Of course, maybe the World-Herald or MECA hacked eomahaforum.com as well as part of the conspiracy...

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  11:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West O, it happened. They had to put football sod in when they sodded it because it was too late. It was $60-70k more in cost because of the thicker sod. The reason was that normal sod didn't have enough time to root.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  07:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mentioned on Mavpuck in January:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7773&whichpage=2

2/3rds of the way down the page.

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  08:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I went back and scanned the TD Ameritrade Construction Thread from November through March and didn't find a single mention of the foul poles needing to be moved. Or the sod being installed too late.

Of course, maybe the World-Herald or MECA hacked eomahaforum.com as well as part of the conspiracy...

Yeah I was not talking about Eomaha, it was on Mavpuck.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  12:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remembered MetroFan making that statement back in January. I just want to know when they moved the foul poles, because frankly, I don't think they did it.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2011 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good column on Werner Park

http://omaha.com/article/20110528/SPORTS/705289810#shatel-werner-park-is-part-ball-day-care-and-county-fair
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  10:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a good article. So far the ballpark formerly known as the Trailer Park, now Werner Park is exceeding expectations.

I had a co-worker from Blair go to last Thursday's game. I asked for her how the drive was compared to Werner and she said it's easier. Did not seem any farther and once you leave 680 to 80, less traffic. The whole BFE thing is dying a slow painful death I'm afraid...

Greg

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  11:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
He(Stein) says total attendance this year won't be much more than the 400,000 who went to Royals games at Rosenblatt last year.

And frankly, I think Stein may be optimistic. The Trailer Park might be the only new minor league stadium that hasn't significantly increased attendance.

A study from Towson University says that the "new ballpark smell" typically results in a 25% increase in attendance the first couple of years.
quote:
The dependent variable of interest is Average per Game Attendance (APG). The average per game attendance over the sample was 2,461 at the A level, 3,890 at the AA level and 6,017 at the AAA level. Figure 1 below shows the increase that occurs after a stadium is constructed. In the first year of the new stadium, attendance increases to 3,740 for the A level ; 4,900 for the AA level and 7,588 for the AAA level. This represents a 50% increase at the A level and about 25% at both the AA and AAA levels. The increases from new construction remain relatively unchanged for the next two years.

http://www.towson.edu/econ/workingpapers/2010-06.pdf

But it's not about attendance, it's about revenue. It's about the Whatchamacallits making more money, thanks to greater subsidization by Sarpy County and increased revenue (higher ticket prices, parking fees, etc.) from fans.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000