Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concert was real close to 12k, very few no-shows. Baseball was just shy of 13k.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  10:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looked pretty full on TV, comparable to the first game there.

Anybody go? I assuming because nothing was reported otherwise, that they've got the long lines at the concession stands fixed?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Levy did a much better job with concessions. Good company that will get better.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  12:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get to attend the game last night, but I did drive past TD Ameritrade an hour before first pitch. Lots and lots of people downtown, but absolutely no traffic issues whatsoever.

It sounds like the real problem was at Midtown Crossing, where they had underestimated the number of people who'd take the shuttle.

The CWS will be a different animal, since they'll close off some of the parking for the Fan Fest, and so many come to tailgate around the stadium without bothering to go...but comparing Ameritrade to Rosenblatt for a huge event, it's no comparison. Downtown can handle events like this so much better than the Rosenblatt area could, it's not even close.

And frankly, if you have the swim trials and a CWS game going on simultaneously, I think it'll actually work. People will have to walk a bit, or take shuttle busses. But it'll be fine.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I didn't get to attend the game last night, but I did drive past TD Ameritrade an hour before first pitch. Lots and lots of people downtown, but absolutely no traffic issues whatsoever.

It sounds like the real problem was at Midtown Crossing, where they had underestimated the number of people who'd take the shuttle.

The CWS will be a different animal, since they'll close off some of the parking for the Fan Fest, and so many come to tailgate around the stadium without bothering to go...but comparing Ameritrade to Rosenblatt for a huge event, it's no comparison. Downtown can handle events like this so much better than the Rosenblatt area could, it's not even close.

And frankly, if you have the swim trials and a CWS game going on simultaneously, I think it'll actually work. People will have to walk a bit, or take shuttle busses. But it'll be fine.

I agree Mike.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  1:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, better than rosenblatt.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  4:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I agree as well.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  4:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree, only because Mike made the point.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  07:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike because you disagreed with him.

---
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  07:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did not go. A co-worker did. She parked at 18th and Cumming, so she had a short walk and said that it was OK.

The game was not sold out, and the concert only had 13K. Perhaps not the acid test people were hoping for, but a good sign. Especially after the parking crunch at the Berkshire-Hathaway meeting this year where the parking lots were full for the 40K that showed up for it.

I don't think that the CWS and swim trials are going to be easy, but I think they may work, especially if we get more shuttles and we get more coordination of downtown parking structures (and a downtown circulator bus or two to go between them and the action.)
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  08:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't most people for Berkshire just walk from their hotel or have a cab drop them off? I'm sure there were a lot of rental cars, but 40,000? I don't think that was a very good acid test eitehr actually.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember seeing a flood of cabs in the past. The hotel issue would be similar to the CWS in the numbers walking to the event from them.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True.

My point was...not all of those people...drove to the arena like locals would.

Just saying
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  2:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Wouldn't most people for Berkshire just walk from their hotel or have a cab drop them off? I'm sure there were a lot of rental cars, but 40,000? I don't think that was a very good acid test eitehr actually.

I was there. They used about 8 shuttle busses and there were some cabs, but the B and D lots were full (Couldn't see Lot A or the Garage.)

My point, is that we had a huge crowd at the Qwest and were pretty tight on parking. The same numbers that are being discussed for when the CWS and Swim trials overlap.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  3:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With time to prepare I think you'll see a real push for park and rides for the CWS as well. I don't think the parking issue is rocket science. I think we'll be fine.

GReg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  07:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So...does this sound like a guy who is ready to allow a bunch of copy repairmen and UPS drivers onto his field? (Let alone Night Ranger and Sister Hazel)

http://omaha.com/article/20110515/SPORTS/705169955#ncaa-is-addressing-small-glitches-at-td-ameritrade-park
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a little late for the NCAA to veto Red Sky.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It didn't appear to me that he had too much of a problem with anything that is or has been on the schedule. If he had a problem with it and had voiced that in one of those meetings, we would have heard about it.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  11:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NCAA does not complain about stuff in public. That's why they sat in the background whistling and looking away when Fahey was stating "we have to build a new stadium but the NCAA isn't "making" us.

My point is...this is not the City's field. It's the NCAA's field. They have the city by the junk and if they're complaining about individual blades of grass in the outfield...I'm guessing they're not too keen to 3rd rate State Fair performers trouncing their turf.

If they're saying this in public...multiply it by 100x what they are saying behind closed doors.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  11:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be willing to bet that MECA cleared with the NCAA the Nighthawks, CU and Red Sky prior to signing them up.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  12:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The NCAA does not complain about stuff in public. That's why they sat in the background whistling and looking away when Fahey was stating "we have to build a new stadium but the NCAA isn't "making" us.

My point is...this is not the City's field. It's the NCAA's field. They have the city by the junk and if they're complaining about individual blades of grass in the outfield...I'm guessing they're not too keen to 3rd rate State Fair performers trouncing their turf.

If they're saying this in public...multiply it by 100x what they are saying behind closed doors.

The NCAA also knows that the stadium needs to be profitable, if only so that the city continues to enhance and update Ameritrade Park. The NCAA fully endorses what's happening, knowing full well that there will be ample time to repair the field by the following June.

If MECA asked for a May concert, they'd put their foot down. In late July, a month after the CWS? No issue whatsoever. Heck, in late October 2010, there wasn't a single blade of grass on the field. The UFL season will assuredly be over by Halloween 2011 as well, as they are starting in August. Worst case scenario is that they'll have to massively reseed and resod the field.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  1:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ncaa knows all about the events. Not sure they approved, but they know. And yes, Mike is correct, pre-cws non-baseball events = MAJOR issue; post-cws = smaller issue. Interesting that these things are coming to light. The gloss paint they threw up in centerfield batter's eye is comical if you ask baseball people...it can be fixed though. The lights should be able to be fixed by repositioning them, the problem with those is that when you move them they simply will be in aother line of sight. This is all part of opening a new venue.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  3:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UFL schedule will be over as soon as a bankrupcy judge says it's over.

By the way...MECA needs the stadium to generate revenue, as not to look like a bigger bunch of d-bags than they already do. MECA understands this, which is why they throw State Fair-quality music festivals and brag up games in a 4 team football league. This is why they bring up UPS driver baseball leagues, car shows and whatever else they can to fill that place. THIS is not up for debate, as you are correct. MECA certainly cares.

The NCAA on the other hand could give a rats arse less about any of this, and rules that field with an absolute iron fist. Sure they UNDERSTAND they have to put something else down there. But that is a long way from caring...which i know for a fact they don't.

If you think they don't care what goes on down there in the months AFTER the CWS...then you're high.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  11:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kid Rock now?

Well, at least we've moved on from the State Fair circuit to the 1990's headliner circuit.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the small stage acts are better than expected.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheryl Crow will open for Kid Rock.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2011 :  2:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kid Rock now?

Well, at least we've moved on from the State Fair circuit to the 1990's headliner circuit.

I guess I called that one with this earlier. Your negativity is predictable.

quote:
Originally posted by buetane

I'm sure your position was already cemented. If U2 or Jay-Z came, I'm sure the power-hungry SOB's would be mocked for getting a bunch a has-beens in for a concert.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say Kid Rock would match up with U2 or Jay-Z but none of them have really put much out lately.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  12:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kid Rock = U2?

NFM
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. That being said, last year Omaha=No Red Sky, this year Omaha=Red Sky. I'll take this year. They through out some names that should have. I still think we're better off having these options and getting people downtown to fill these dates since they blew it so bad out of the gate with not getting someting good for the Chasers.

I don't think you'll ever be able to set up a sustainable minor league team in TD so this does seem to be the best way to go. That stadium when it goes to 34k will only be good for music and the CWS. I don't think Creighton will even be in it then.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  2:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I don't think you'll ever be able to set up a sustainable minor league team in TD so this does seem to be the best way to go. That stadium when it goes to 34k will only be good for music and the CWS. I don't think Creighton will even be in it then.

34K? Sheesh, I don't think that the Cubs, Royals, Twins, or many of the soon to be out of the running teams in MLB could do that many tickets.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000