Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw, I don't doubt that CU is doing better than expected at the gates, but I find it very suspicious that a month ago Mike West said they needed to average 6k in their non-nebraska games to make playing at TD work. Now, voila, in the OWH yesterday they triumphantly announce an average attendance so far of 6,166. Either Mike West is the smartest man in the room or there is some serious manipulation of numbers going on there...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110504/BLUEJAYS/705039792#new-park-s-attendance-exceeds-expectations
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  1:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liar, liar, pants on fire. Can't wait to see what Creighton reports on its statement to the IRS under "tickets sold" for games at TD Ameritrade Park. Oops, I guess it's a private institution. forget that...

And yes, that's why the University of Nebraska has such paltry (actual) attendance figures for its games at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. You can tell the local fishwrap anything you want. But when it comes time to pay taxes, there's a lot of empty seats. And only the public institutions are under scrutiny via public information laws.
Go to Top of Page

omahahockey7777
New Recruit

1 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  1:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesus H Christ every sports team in this city including your precious UNO does paid attendance. UNL, CU, UNO, Royals, NightHawks all do paid attendance.

I've been to UNO games where 5,000 people are announced and there might be 3,000 there. Get over yourselves.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a difference between padding the stats a little, maybe 20%, but it seems there are dates there that they are nearly doubling what the actual is.

Let's put it this way. I got all of the confirmation I needed that they are padding their numbers even past their own announced actuals from the opening game. Their announced paid was 22k, they told the OWH 18k as actual. Yet, I heard from multiple sources that night that the actual was 16k.

So, in essence, CU is releasing a paid amount and an actual that apparently isn't actual. There's a double secret number for the real actual. At least when pressed on it, the Royal Chasers simply declined to answer questions on their actual.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  2:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

btw, I don't doubt that CU is doing better than expected at the gates, but I find it very suspicious that a month ago Mike West said they needed to average 6k in their non-nebraska games to make playing at TD work. Now, voila, in the OWH yesterday they triumphantly announce an average attendance so far of 6,166. Either Mike West is the smartest man in the room or there is some serious manipulation of numbers going on there...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110504/BLUEJAYS/705039792#new-park-s-attendance-exceeds-expectations

I'm pretty sure a month ago Mike West had a pretty good idea or close to it on what they were going to get. They already had locked in on the promotions, new how many season and advanced tickets were sold, and had projections. When he said 6k, it was a very very educated guess. It was not pulled out of thin air.

We won't really know how this and Werner are doing until next year when the newness wears off.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  1:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CU answered how many tickets are really sold when they stated in the article that the gate is somewhere between $5k-$10k each game. With $10 full-priced tickets that is easy to figure out that at most you are talking about 1,000 paid walk-up, but it is probably 2,000 or so because they have so many deep-discount coupons and offers out. Plus they gave away 10,000 for Apr 22 game for little league night. Royals use to deep discount at Blatt because of supply, but now aren't doing that.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  1:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that after MECA takes their cut? Is it CU's net of the gate or the total gate?

Also, are season ticket sales that were previously sold factored into that number?

There might be a few extra factors in that to be able to just use $5-$10k divided by $10.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  3:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presales/seasons and groups are not. The groups are mainly freebies and the presales/seasons are at much lesser ticket prices due to package pricing.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  5:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
**RED LIE MUSIC FESTIVAL HEADLINE ANNOUNCEMENT **

July 22nd - Jason Aldean

Not a big country fan...but ummmmmmm....

Yeah.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  07:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First there's complaints about not using the stadium and now there's complaints about what gets put in the stadium. Awesome.

Yeah, I get it, maybe he's not a big act. Maybe he is, I dunno, I'm not a country fan either. But who cares, like you were going to go anyway.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I care because it cements my position that this whole thing is a clusterf&*k of monumental proportions. It's a big deal, because this bag of magic beans was sold to the city of Omaha as a way to revitalize downtown and to keep the CWS. Well the CWS was saved...but who gives a flying sack of sh*t about downtown?

Instead, you have 5k or so people a night visiting a cornfield in Sarpy County, meanwhile, in a month, the only thing that will even cause the gates to be unlocked in that 120/150/180 million dollar ball of glass and steel will be 4 games of a football league that has as good of a shot at being around next year than Trump does sitting in the white house.

BUT IT'S OK!!! We have this awesome kickass music festival that was a complete sham/lie, told to you by the very power-hungry SOB's who screwed this entire thing up for everybody all the way around. When they promise "U2 or JayZ type acts" and deliver 311 and Jason Aldean they deserved to be mocked and mocked loudly.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure your position was already cemented. If U2 or Jay-Z came, I'm sure the power-hungry SOB's would be mocked for getting a bunch a has-beens in for a concert. It is a $140M stadium to which the gates were already opened.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  6:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Difficult to get acts to play stadium shows anymore. The big name groups can make more money doing arena shows where their graphics work better and thus better buzz is generated. A lot of acts are gun shy of big venues that can't sell out.

MECA is trying to swim upstream here. These acts may be the biggest they can get.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  7:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane
I'm sure your position was already cemented. If U2 or Jay-Z came, It is a $140M stadium to which the gates were already opened.

(Where's my pic of JoePa?)

Huh?

Point is...(again), this was supposed to be one of the big shin-digs Roger and company came up with to keep the doors open and help develop the area around the park. Great idea? Yes. better than nothing? Sure. But when the idiot jackholes who run that park start blowing smoke up your Pelini and tell you "U2 and JayZ and etc etc " are coming...meanwhile not having a CLUE how concerts work...well, they should be mocked.

(And let the record show...concert income for the Quest is down quite a bit due to the competition from Des Moines and Kansas City.)

They lied or at the VERY least...greatly exaggerated.

They should be held accountable.

PS - not to be off subject, but nice crowds at Mike's favorite cow pasture ballpark this weekend. 5,000+ all three days. (But I'm sure weather doesn't have much to do with that stuff)
Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  7:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how the Red Sky is going to work? I once heard they were modeling it after Summerfest in Milwaukee. When I went there it was one price to get in and there would be several bands playing on the same night. So while the Beach Boys were playing in the big stadium Joe Strummer (where I went) was playing a short walk down the road, and there were at least two other bands playing as well and a ton of beer tents. It was a very cool atmosphere and a lot of fun. I think I went on a Saturday so I'm not sure if it was that way each night or just Saturday but will there be multiple bands there as well or just one per night?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite the same with tickets. There will be festival tickets that you can buy by the day or for three days that will get you into the acts on the smaller stages in the parking lots, but to get into the main stage in TD Ameritrade, you'll have to buy a separate ticket for that. There will be 3 stages in operation, and the B and C stages will be in use all day, as I understand it.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  08:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reserving judgement until I see the full list of acts. I still believe though this will be very good.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  10:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I'm reserving judgement until I see the full list of acts. I still believe though this will be very good.

Greg

Good plan.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Greg

The POTENTIAL is most certainly there. The idea itself is not a bad one.

What is BAD, is the flat-out, bold-faced lie Roger and company gave to try and cover up their own ineptness.

PS - Big concert + Husker/BrieJay game tommorow night at the same time. Should be interesting parking wise.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  6:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, they've announced Journey with Night Ranger now? BWAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, but when you set the bar at U2 and come up with Journey and 311 (a band that plays here like clockwork every year anyway), that's a bad sign.

So far we have themes developing for each night...

1. The Monsters of Mid 90's Modern Rock
2. 2nd Tier Random Country Night
3. The State Fair Special

Unless these last 3 headliners are U2 etc, it's probably safe to say that this try at a festival is a swing and a miss. Honestly, I'd say Cheap Trick/38 special show for free on labor day rivals this newest announcement. I mean, now that they've dipped into the State Fair pool for headliners, there's no end to who could be the next announcement.

With the level of acts they've given us so far, what's next? Coolio with Vanilla Ice? Billy Ray Cyrus? Warrant with Slaughter?

AJ, would you please call your brother and see if Zebrahead will throw Roger a bone and play Red Sky as a headliner? I'd be inclined to say that they'd be a bigger get than the bands that have been announced. Heck, a Jank 1000 reunion show would be more interesting than some of this...
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  8:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, they've announced Journey with Night Ranger now? BWAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, but when you set the bar at U2 and Nelly and come up with Journey and 311 (a band that plays here like clockwork every year anyway), that's a bad sign.

So far we have themes developing for each night...

1. The Monsters of Mid 90's Modern Rock
2. 2nd Tier Random Country Night
3. The State Fair Special

Unless these last 3 headliners are U2 etc, it's probably safe to say that this try at a festival is a swing and a miss. Honestly, I'd say Cheap Trick/38 special show for free on labor day rivals this newest announcement. I mean, now that Roger has dipped into the State Fair pool for headliners, there's no end to who could be the next announcement.

With the level of acts they've given us so far, what's next? Coolio with Vanilla Ice? Billy Ray Cyrus? Warrant with Slaughter?

AJ, would you please call your brother and see if Zebrahead will throw Roger a bone and play Red Sky as a headliner? I'd be inclined to say that they'd be a bigger get than the bands that have been announced. Heck, a Jank 1000 reunion show would be more interesting than some of this...

I kind of expected this one. Figured you would have some sort of 80's arena rock day. Again, waiting until we know all the acts before I declare the success of the event.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  9:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard that Jay-Z will soon be announced. That would be a good get (even though I know next to nothing about rap/hip-hop). So, score one for them if what I'm hearing is true.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  08:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daily Deal Omaha today is Creighton $20 in baseball tix for $10.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If this was Europe or Japan, you would be correct.

Journey would be pretty cool...if Steve Perry wasn't at home, sitting in his living room. (The little dude they have singing for them now is good...but still....) And Night Ranger? Whoa.

I'm actually done mocking it, because at this point, it pretty much mocks itself.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  08:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like traffic and parking were fine last night for NU/CU and the Seger contest.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  08:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. good first step. They had about 12k for Seger and 17k for baseball. Might be more of a challenge when they have something that's 15-18k for the arena and 30k for the ball field. good first run though.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  09:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have those numbers on authority?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  09:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no. didn't bother to check last night. But, I can if you really want. My sources have been right on the numbers so far. I just took the paper at face value for last night. Didn't watch much of the game. So, I can't speculate myself. didn't really care.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't really care? You were so adamant before.

When it comes to a real issue like parking, as opposed to a non-real issue like which area teams fluff their numbers and by what percentages, is when you should care. Not that I'm trying to tell you what to care about, afterall, there are things I care about more than others.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't care because I didn't go to the game, had stuff to do around the house, and am leaving to go out of town for a couple of days. So yeah, I didn't have the time to care last night.

I read that they said it was no problem and I said that I was happy to hear about that but there will be more traffic during other events so the overall level of success will be determined at a later date.

In terms of how many people were actually at the ballgame last night, I'm sure the 17k number is inflated. How much? I didn't bother to check. Probably closer to 15k going by their track record. I've said pretty much all I have to say on that topic. No reason to beat that horse anymore.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000