Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  3:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA will begin announcing on Monday who will be playing at the Red Sky Music Festival, apparently on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Sky-Music-Festival/182453928432001

I know AJ has his money on Nickelback...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  10:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this. Should be some monster acts to go see.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait...hope there are some good acts with a mix of names that will draw and some actual good bands musically as well.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually heard a rumor that Bright Eyes is headlining.

If that happens....I won't need to say anything.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the same. Depending on the other acts and how each day lines up that would work. I'm hoping for a variety of acts.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  12:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bright eyes certainly wouldn't be this huge epic monster music fest that Roger promised. You can't go from U2, Chesney, and Jimmy Buffett to Bright Eyes and not expect some snickering.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  2:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be shocked if Bright Eyes plays...would be a dumb move for them to be the headliner wouldn't it?

They are already headlining an outdoor show at Westphair on June 4 and a show in Des Moines on August 8.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  10:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Bright eyes certainly wouldn't be this huge epic monster music fest that Roger promised. You can't go from U2, Chesney, and Jimmy Buffett to Bright Eyes and not expect some snickering.

For a festival as long as thing one I could see Bright Eyes headling a day. I think you're going to see quite a variety of acts and depending who performs that day you could see Bright Eyes as the final act.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  11:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I agree. Bright Eyes could certainly headline a day, but if they are the "headlining act" that's another story. I'm really excited to see what they get. I'm hoping there's a huge variety to appeal to a ton of different tastes. In fact, Bright Eyes would be great in that regard. My biggest fear is that it'll be a rehash of bands that have played the qwest over the last 5 years but outside this time. Sometimes MECA gest stuck in their comfort zone of arena rock, country, and radio disney and I hope they get out of it with this.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  2:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the lineup will be many of the acts with LiveNation since that is who is partnered with MECA. With a festival like this you won't just have one headline act. There will be many over the course of the festival. I'm going to bet they will be by different genres each day.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  6:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I think the lineup will be many of the acts with LiveNation since that is who is partnered with MECA. With a festival like this you won't just have one headline act. There will be many over the course of the festival. I'm going to bet they will be by different genres each day.

Greg

There will be a "country" day, an "alternative" day, a "classic rock" day, etc... and the acts will be packaged accordingly...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  10:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
311 has been announced as the 1st headliner.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  10:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing this then takes the place of the show they've often done at West Fair.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably. They put on a great live show and obviously have a big midwestern following.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  8:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Rosenblatt to 311. This thread easily has another 70 pages in its future.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  08:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apparently, things are looking good compared to previous years...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110502/SPORTS/705029761#despite-weather-attendance-at-werner-park-encouraging
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think for both stadiums, we'll know more in a couple years. My kids and I love Werner. Just perfect for families. TD is a great great venue for the CWS, which is was built for. I read an article in Omaha Magazine where they interviewed Jack Diesing Jr. and Roger from MECA on TD. They mentioned it was built to expand to 34k. Does anyone know if they would add a 3rd deck, or would it go around the outfield?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks to me like they'd add a 3rd deck, but I have no idea as I never sat in on any of the design meetings. But, if you look at the way the steel is set up there it looks like it could go to a 3rd deck. I highly doubt they want to obstruct the views of the skyline and qwest center by making the seating in the outfield go higher.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  09:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Shatel:

Baseball stadium connoisseur Joe Mock visited Werner Park recently and gave it a thumbs up on his website “baseballparks.com.'' Mock wrote, “Honestly, as a family entertainment destination, this might be the most complete ballpark (below the majors) there is."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110502/SPORTS/705029763#shatel-role-of-seals-hits-home-for-coach

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  09:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that article. really good review.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

yes, there's no 360 concourse because of the way the suites are situated in the ballpark. They had a very small piece of land to work with and wedged the ballpark into the city grid. It is what it is. I'm the type that thinks 360 concourses are wildly overrated. Honestly, that's the biggest compliment anyones been able to give TD to this point. But, for someone like me who goes to a game to actually watch baseball, I'm not going to miss that much of a game due to standing in line at concession stands anyway.

I suppose that stuff is more important if you have the big play areas and whatnot. However, TD has none of that. How often are you going to really be standing in line for hot dogs and beers in the course of one game? It's not like there's really any other reason to be back there the whole time. There's no bars there, no rides, nothing. So, assuming they get the 30 minute waits in the concession stand lines fixed, you'd think the whole open concourses thing isn't that big of a deal anyway. Maybe once in a while during a particularly cold game or swealtering game for some shade, but not that often.

Here's what Jim Caple on espn.com had to say about Busch. In his Off Base Columns this year he's reviewing all MLB parks:

Busch Stadium, St. Louis: Following a facelift in the 1990s, the old Busch was the best of the multipurpose stadiums. Granted, that's a low bar to set, but I liked the old place. I had high hopes for the new one, anticipating it would make me want to join Ozzie in a backflip. Instead, it is a little disappointing. The minimum standard for all stadiums built in the past decade is that fans should be able to circle the entire park and see the field from almost every spot in the concourse. That is not the case at Busch, where much of the view from the concourse is blocked. The concessions also are underwhelming. I'm not saying Busch isn't a nice park -- it is, just like all the new parks. But it's just, well, uninspiring. This park could have been -- and should have been -- better. St. Louis is a great baseball town and its park should be every bit as majestic as the Gateway Arch, the Mississippi River or an Albert Pujols swing.

Score: 78.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/110427_MLB_playoffs&sportCat=mlb
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
311?

(snicker)
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they had less land to work with than most parks as I mentioned. I don't get the 360 concourse thing as much as some as it doesn't really affect me. If 360 concourses are your only requirement for a ballpark, TD is about as good as it gets. If you're looking for distinctive architectural features and a unique playing surface, TD is about on par with a cookie cutter ballpark from the 60's. I like the look of Busch, from a design standpoint, far more than TD and it's not even close.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  1:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

they had less land to work with than most parks as I mentioned. I don't get the 360 concourse thing as much as some as it doesn't really affect me. If 360 concourses are your only requirement for a ballpark, TD is about as good as it gets. If you're looking for distinctive architectural features and a unique playing surface, TD is about on par with a cookie cutter ballpark from the 60's. I like the look of Busch, from a design standpoint, far more than TD and it's not even close.

I think they had a bunch more than the Twins...Again nothing against Busch I just think for almost $400 million they could have done a lot better. That and the whole Ballpark Village failure there. I do think TD stands apart more from the current stadiums that Busch in that regard. I would not call it cookie cutter though in that all seats face the field, the true cookie cutters did not because of their design for 2 sports....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  1:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ballpark Village is a failure, but it's not really part of the ballpark. It's like penant place in papillion. The ballpark out there could be a success if people show up even if the development doesn't pan out like they hope.

Ballpark village hit some snags and then the financial meltdown happened that killed it for a long time. I wouldn't invest in commercial realty in downtown STL right now.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  4:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No definitely not, just too bad it did not work out at Ballpark Village. Would have been good for pre and post game crowd.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  6:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are supposed to be breaking ground on a rescaled and revised Ballpark Village soon. They put new drawings out around the first of the year that would only develop half the land instead of all of it. I'll still believe it when I see it.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STOP THE PRESSES.

Roger, I take it back. Apparently George Clinton, Better than Ezra and some band named "Cowboy mouth" are now on the bill.

How could I have been so wrong? Roger really knocked it out of the park. I'm so humbled.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

STOP THE PRESSES.

Roger, I take it back. Apparently George Clinton, Better than Ezra and some band named "Cowboy mouth" are now on the bill.

How could I have been so wrong? Roger really knocked it out of the park. I'm so humbled.

George Clinton? Don't make fun of my man George. The PFunk AllStars are hot on the Assisted Living Facilities Tour this summer.

Better than Ezra? Better than an empty stage, I guess.

Cowboy Mouth? I got nothing...

Wow. This is what we have to look forward to? Can I get a refund on my share of the bill for this white elephant?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that 311 basically forced them to announce last week and that since every other 311 date had been on their website for some time, they said "announce us now, or we're just going to release it ourselves." That's why we have to wait another whole week to get any more bands. I guess they still weren't technically ready on Monday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000