Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6245 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  11:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a chance to check out both ballparks this week (Werner on Tuesday; TD Ameritrade last night).

Parking: Took advantage of free parking at both ballparks -- and although it was a hike both nights, Werner's free parking was closer. Sean & the girls parked in Lot D, so we hitched a ride back to our car with them. Exiting the parking lot took only a few minutes and there were police officers monitoring traffic on Cuming all the way from 10th to 27th. Wow.

Kid-friendliness: Werner definitely gets the advantage here. The girls did fine at TD Ameritrade but they would have loved the play area at Werner Park. Fireworks at TD Ameritrade were a plus -- and they went off right after the game, which was nice (no 15-minute wait). Haven't seen fireworks at Werner Park yet, so I don't know if it will be the same there.

Food: It was Good Friday, so we didn't eat at TD Ameritrade. Offerings seemed pretty standard, although the Doughnut Sundae (doughnut with ice cream and sundae toppings) looked interesting to the girls. The food we had at Werner Park on Tuesday was FABULOUS. Our client had the berm field hospitality tent, and it had all-you-care-to-eat burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, chips, baked beans, lemonade, and tea for 90 minutes. The burgers were delicious and the chips (fried?) were the best I've ever had. Concession fare, as pointed out above in the thread, was plentiful. Looking forward to going back and sampling some on Wednesday for the UNO-UNK game.

I really enjoyed both venues, but I can see myself going to Werner Park more often (we only made 1-2 CWS games at Rosenblatt in recent years, so I doubt I'll see more than 1 this year at TD. And we had free tickets to the Creighton game on Friday night).
Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  3:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to TD Ameritrade Park last night as well but have not been to Werner yet. Overall impression was positive but I can see the generic observation made by some. It would be nice if they had something unique where they have those four tree/bushes in center field. Maybe put a cage in there and put a random wild animal (Lion one night, puma the next) in it for each game is what I would go with.
Other than that I would not the the lights were actually too bright (maybe because they are new?), I ended up keeping my sunglasses on most the night and it appeared to me the Creighton left fielder lost a ball in the lights that allowed the Saluki's to tie the game.
Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  9:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing, the net behind home plate at TD is awesome, looking through you barely notice it. I want to get those type of nets for the Qwest for those of us that sit behind the goals, assuming they are strong enough to stop a puck.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4497 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  09:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be ALMOST as fun...

http://omaha.com/article/20110424/NEWS01/704249899#fireworks-show-moving-downtown
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1782 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  11:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to the Storm Chasers fireworks game on the 2nd. They are doing fireworks at each of their games the whole weekend. That home run derby looked pretty boring last year and with the new college bats, I can't see it being more interesting this year. Either way, lots of options for 4th of july fireworks this year. Should be fun.

BTW, noticed Creighton announced 10k at their game Friday and 7k on Saturday. I'd almost be inclined to believe the 10k on Friday because they gave out free tickets to every little league kid in the metro area, but I watched several innings of the game on Saturday and no way was there more than 3-4k there on Saturday. So, CU inflated their actual on the NU game and I'm positive they did on Saturday. That means they probably did on Friday too.

I went to the storm chasers game on Friday night and estimated about 3500 there actual. I don't remember them announcing an attendance, but by Bluejays math, I'm sure they could have announced about 6k there on Friday and been safe.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3807 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  11:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I've said before every entity plays with their attendance numbers.

Has anybody got a beer at Werner where it's filled from the bottom? Sounds pretty cool and I think they fill very fast.

We're finally going to get to see some games there next weekend.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  2:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

As I've said before every entity plays with their attendance numbers.

Has anybody got a beer at Werner where it's filled from the bottom? Sounds pretty cool and I think they fill very fast.

We're finally going to get to see some games their next weekend.

Greg

Everyone my get it overestimated in a rush to get a figure to the media in time to get into the news. Everyone may get it over estimated by a few hundred. Some schools make a point of being virtuous and to walk in a Godly manner, and yet over estimate by thousands.

Its one thing to do it once in a while, or to be off by a few hundred. Its another thing to double the real attendance or give out 3000 freebie tickets and claim that 15,000 people came, when there ws more like 6000 there.

Its not that CU is the only one doing it, its that they seem to be especially fond of doing it, and especially prone to doing it in a large way.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Numbers I have from past few days -
Creighton had approx 6.5k in park Friday (announced 10,100) - over 10,000 free ticket vouchers out for game.
Creighton had approx 3.5k in park Saturday (announced 7,100) - not as many free ticket vouchers out for game.

OSC had approx 3.75 Friday night (announced 4,200). no free ticket vouchers out for game.

Great week for Creighton and the weather cooperated with their ticket vouchers. Not a great week for OSC in regard to weather.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  8:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

Creighton had approx 6.5k in park Friday (announced 10,100) - over 10,000 free ticket vouchers out for game.
Creighton had approx 3.5k in park Saturday (announced 7,100) - not as many free ticket vouchers out for game.

When your estimates are that far off, I think the correct term is lying rather than estimating about your attendance.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5076 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  9:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

quote:

When your estimates are that far off, I think the correct term is lying rather than estimating about your attendance.

Hard to say that it's lying...I'm assuming that Creighton is using tickets issued, which means that they are counting no-shows. I'm assuming that anybody who received a voucher for free admission had to exchange it for an actual ticket.

Not to say that someone could be fudging the numbers, but just because the crowd size doesn't resemble the announced attendance doesn't mean that there is fraud in the numbers.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5076 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The KETV report from Monday said that the OSC gave away 6,000 tickets last Monday. Tuesday night, Jon took a picture that showed that there were only about 100 people at the OSC game.

My point was that more people are showing up downtown than I thought would...and much fewer are going out to BFE. There are some explanations there (weather and free tickets), but those cut both ways.

My point is that attendance at the Trailer Park could actually be lower this season than it was at Rosenblatt last season. It's early, but the initial trend is not good, and there aren't the opportunities to make up for the cold weather. (It'll take 5 standing room only crowds to make up for fireworks night, for example...)

BTW, thanks for reading.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2388 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A WOWT report I saw said that Creighton reportedly has recently discovered a crazy new devious tactic of marketing their team and their new stadium, a tactic never used by any other team to inflate their attendance numbers.

UNO didn't have 15,xxx fans in the stands at selloutwhateverteamitwasthisyear, although I don't have that on authority.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3807 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  11:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

The KETV report from Monday said that the OSC gave away 6,000 tickets last Monday. Tuesday night, Jon took a picture that showed that there were only about 100 people at the OSC game.

My point was that more people are showing up downtown than I thought would...and much fewer are going out to BFE. There are some explanations there (weather and free tickets), but those cut both ways.

My point is that attendance at the Trailer Park could actually be lower this season than it was at Rosenblatt last season. It's early, but the initial trend is not good, and there aren't the opportunities to make up for the cold weather. (It'll take 5 standing room only crowds to make up for fireworks night, for example...)

BTW, thanks for reading.

For the Monday game, that's the school kids day that they do every year. I can't believe you mentioned Tuesdays attendance at Werner and failed to mention that it was opening night at TD and bad weather....I would not exactly use that as a normal exampled of attendance out there.

I'm not sure if attendance will be higher this year out there or not. I still think it will be based on their season ticket sales alone. The thing is, even if they draw the same it's a huge win for them. Look at the types of seats they are selling, premium seats and club seating.

Next year will be far more telling for Creighton and the Chasers. I believe the Chasers will fine this year and are in a far better position going forward.

Here's another game coming to Werner:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110424/SPORTS/110429807#werner-park-to-host-bellevue-briar-cliff

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4497 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  12:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the record show that for the OSC, there are still 64 home dates left...many of which will not require a winter coat and ski mask.

As soon as Creighton is done in 8 more games (or whatever it is), that will be it until 2 weeks in June. Then? March. To put it a bit more bluntly: Catch a Jays game, because they're almost done. Catch a OSC game later on, because there are plenty of nicer days ahead.

Common sense out.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5076 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

BTW, thanks for reading.

For the Monday game, that's the school kids day that they do every year. I can't believe you mentioned Tuesdays attendance at Werner and failed to mention that it was opening night at TD and bad weather....I would not exactly use that as a normal exampled of attendance out there.

I'm not sure if attendance will be higher this year out there or not. I still think it will be based on their season ticket sales alone. The thing is, even if they draw the same it's a huge win for them. Look at the types of seats they are selling, premium seats and club seating.

But I did mention weather (see highlight)... and the opening game at TD Ameritrade was discussed so much earlier in this thread, I didn't think it was necessary to bring it up yet again. And the point was using paid attendance (something I didn't criticize either the Royals or Creighton for). If I was going to call Creighton's 30% "padding", if you will, of opening night attendance fraud, then I don't know what you would call the GRSC's (c)AJ increasing attendance ten-fold over what was actually there.

Just saying both organizations are giving out freebies and using paid attendance.

And on my blog, I have said that the higher ticket prices ("premium seating" as you call it) will be a benefit to the GRSC(c)AJ, even if the number of tickets sold or fannies in the seats or on the grass is lower this season.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4497 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, you'll be hearing from my lawyers regarding the GRSC comment.

That little (c) is there for a reason pal.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5076 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  12:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

By the way, you'll be hearing from my lawyers regarding the GRSC comment.

That little (c) is there for a reason pal.

I've updated my post with proper attribution.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3807 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought the two dates you singled out for the Chasers were not typical, especially bringing up a crowd that was against an event that we will not see for at least 25 years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  1:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, thanks for reading.

Actually is is a partnership with Cox and OSC. The tickets are paid through a sponsorship and are not free. They are given to the schools fyi. There were over 5400 in park Monday for that game that was announced at 6500+.

And 7 games 2011 vs. 7 games 2010: paid attendance is up 22% and in-park is up 57% at the trailer park.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1782 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And 7 games 2011 vs. 7 games 2010: paid attendance is up 22% and in-park is up 57% at the trailer park.

That's what I was interested in. Thank you.

While the attendance was not overwhelming at the Thirsty Thursday game I went to, it was obviously better than comparable april weeknight games at the Blatt.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3807 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  4:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Creighton is giving away free tickets for Tuesday night's game. You can pick them up at the Ultimate Baseball Academy.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5076 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just thought the two dates you singled out for the Chasers were not typical, especially bringing up a crowd that was against an event that we will not see for at least 25 years.

They were brought up in response to a now deleted post referring to giving away tickets and reporting far more people in attendance than actually were there. So without that context, I'm sure my post didn't make a lot of sense.

quote:

But 7 games 2011 vs. 7 games 2009: paid attendance is down 20%...thanks to a no-longer possible 15k crowd.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1782 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
always working those angles to make it look negative in any way possible. Even though there's been bad weather, you're trying to connect this to atypical crowds from 2 years ago. sad.

Yes, the team can't get those great 15k crowds you speak of that happened 2-3 time a year, we get it. Those crowds were rare anyway and it wasn't worth that extra revenue 3 times a year for the franchise to grab its ankles for MECA just to be able to play in a 25k stadium.

At the end of the day, actual attendance is up this year vs. most in the last decade, ticket prices are up meaning more money for what they sell, the season ticket base is way up, the team is in first place, and I'm sure concession and merch sales are up. Those are all positives. But, keep spinning it into a negative any way you can.

next, it'll be "but vs. 10 games in 1978, attendance is down _%. I declare boondoggle!!! boondoggggggggllllleeeeeeeee!!!!!!!111!!"
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4497 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  08:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friday night they play the I-Cubs. It's supposed to be 75 degrees, there's fireworks (people LOVE fireworks) and the team itself at this moment has won 8 straight.

Let's see how Friday goes.

They draw 1500 actual....then you have some legs to stand on.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1782 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, I'm pretty sure that if the Royals got 16k for an April game in 2009, there was probably a hefty amount of giveaways there. Without looking, I'd probably guess it may have been a Berkshire Hathaway night and I'd guess those tickets are given out as a courtesy.

It's the same as CU in regards to the freebies. Sure, it's a gaudy number that looks great in the newspapers, but they are still free tickets that you're not making any money off of. Sure, you stand to make more money on concessions, but who's keeping the concession revenue? At Rosenblatt, I'm sure the city took a chunk of it and I promise you that downtown, CU isn't getting much if anything out of the hot dog money.

Oh yeah, and I accidentally deleted that post from yesterday. I tried editing it and basically deleted all the text. So, I deleted the post. my bad.

Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6245 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, Jon's photo from the Tuesday night game we were there with our clients was taken in the 4th inning, when the temperature was about 30 degrees ... and right before we left. There were many more folks there when the game started, but it was just too cold for them (and me!!).

Last night was great at WP for the UNO/UNK game ... despite the two brief downpours in the 1st inning that delayed the game for about 45 minutes and the colder-than-expected temps. The food was good (not as good as the hamburgers and those AMAZING chips I had last time... but good.) I had chicken fingers and some really good, crisp French fries.

The crowd was decent -- a little over 2000 reported -- I'd have guessed 1500. I did see some people leaving during the rainstorm (which was only about 15 minutes after the game started).

I'll be back for a Storm Chasers game (maybe with the nieces) when the weather gets a little warmer. So far, both games I've been to have been very, very cold -- not the Storm Chasers' fault ...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4497 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow night should be really nice, although a bit windy. 10 day forecast is looking like 60-70's from here out. Hopefully games played in the 30's and low 40's are done for now.

Should be interesting to see how that impacts their attendance. (I know I plan on heading out there when things warm up a bit as well.)
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
paid was 2033 for UNO. 1700+ in park for the game. Great start for UNO in seeing what they could draw for D1 baseball.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1782 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
paid was 2033? I thought that number would have included the gobs of free tickets from No Frills? Did 2033 really pay $8 to go to the game? Makes a difference for me because if you're trying to guage how well UNO would do there on a full time basis, you'd have to imagine that they aren't going to give away tons of free tickets every night (or play UNK)
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1189 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The appropriate phrase in this instance would be "paid and free." I witnessed several hundred free ticket vouchers in a box outside the gate and estimated (by actually counting people in the seats one-by-one) that there were 1,750 in attendance (MavBridget can back me up on that one). So MetroFan is right on with his in-the-seats ("paid and free") assessment.

By the way, Trev Alberts said the UNO baseball team averages 80 fans a game at Boys Town.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2014 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000