Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I have it on authority that the actual was just above 16k even though CU announced 22k.

That would jive with what I thought I saw on TV tonight.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got home from TD Ameritrade Park. Now that I've been to both ballparks, I feel that I can acurately give my feedback on them. Here's my random stream of consciousness thoughts on both ballparks.

-As I mentioned, CU announced 22k and had an actual of 16k. I now have no doubt that CU will draw 2-3k for their home games and announce 6k. That way, they'll be able to say they hit their goals for this year even if they give alot of tickets away and there are a bunch of no shows.

-TD is incredibly impressive from the outside. Walking around the outside, the place feels major league and is one of the most impressive structures downtown. It fits seamlessly with the local area.

-Inside is more of a mixed bag. I actually now get what AJ was saying. From my seat in left field, the place seems kind of generic from the inside. I guess maybe I have high standards since I've seen games at about half of the current MLB stadiums, but most of those ballparks have a bit more character to them. I think of the architecture of places like Busch Stadium, PNC Park, and Petco Park. They all have distinct features that set themselves apart from other parks and you instantly know exactly where you are. It may not be fair to judge TD on that level, but it's closest in size and scope to a MLB Park. It's not a minor leauge park by any means. If anything, sitting in there kind of left me feeling cold and it just comes off as "random AAAA Park"

-From my seat in the LF bleachers looking inwards, it kind of reminds me of a midget version of Kaufmann Stadium (minus the waterfalls). It is as if the hand of god cut off the top 2/3 of the upper deck at the K and plopped what was left in Omaha.

-The Storm Chasers are much better off at Werner Park. I know Storm Chasers staff have called the experience at Rosenblatt very "linear" as in you go in, get some food, and sit down to watch the game. There's little else to do. Well, that's exactly how I feel about TD. That doesn't bug me because I'm a baseball fan that can just sit for 9 innings and watch baseball. However, that's not the minor league experience. Minor League baseball is about niche stuff like rides, games, and stuff like that for the kids. There's none of that to be found at TD. If I'm going to a minor league game, I expect the minor league experience to an extent, not a ballpark and team that are pretending to be MLB when they obviously aren't.

-I know some people complained about some long waits for concessions at Werner, but TD took that to a new level. They've got alot of issues to iron out before the CWS. Lines for concessions tonight were running 25-30 minutes just to get a slice of pizza. Matters were made worse by the fact that none of the concourse tv's had the game on. So, not only were you stuck in line, but you had little idea of what was going on in the game either.

-I love the fact that TD has places to get out of the elements. On a frigid 40 degree night, I spent most of my time watching standing under the upper deck overhang. Going to games at Werner Park will be challenging at times considering there's basically nowhere in the entire ballpark that one can get out of the elements. They may have some issues with that.

-I'm still concerned that Werner Park doesn't have enough parking, but time will tell.

-The scoreboard at TD is amazing, makes the one at Werner look wimpy by comparison. Also, Werner needs to add at least one more scoreboard on the 1st base side because if you're sitting in LF, you have to crane your neck backwards to even see the pitch count. unacceptable. TD did this right, and Werner obviously cut corners.

-Werner destroys TD overall on concessions. When I've been to Werner, I've walked past the concession stands and have literrally wanted to try everything. TD's selection is much more generic and I had a hard time finding anything I really wanted. Much more selection in Sarpy. Also, Sarpy has local vendors like Extreme Pizza and La Mesa. TD has generic stadium food.

All in all, I think both sides are in the exact place they need to be. TD would not have worked under any circumstance for minor league baseball. That was obvious to me in about 5 minutes tonight. On the other hand, the CWS is going to be amazing downtown. I think people will forget about the festival that ocurred around rosenblatt as soon as they experience the bars, restaurants and over bustle of the event downtown. Comparing these parks is apples to oranges. There was an obvious need for both and I look forward to attending both. And, oh yeah, since this TD is not suited for minor league baseaball, I'm going to laugh if they bring in a beer league team down there. That will fail and hard.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very very good writeup.

You make a really good point as well about Sarpy. They're going to struggle when it gets to 100+ degrees, and there is no shade for anyone to sit in. That being said..the more I think about it...I think you're right. It was just an inevitability that things shook out the way they did with not possible way the two sides could have agreed. It simply wouldn't have worked...at least wouldn't have worked enough for the Royals to stay in town.

I also agree..as I've said for years now..the CWS will be awesome downtown. It will be more controlled...more under the Nazi death grip of the NCAA (Nice to see Dennis Pope complaining in the paper about how the game was a few minutes off. And people wonder why the Royals didn't want to deal with that crap?)....but in the end...much like NCAA tourney down there in 08...it will be awesome.

Bottom line I guess...if you want to have this unique, crazy baseball tournament that (allegedly) brings in 900billion dollars a year..you have to go out on a limb and make it work. Whether that takes shady Mayor deals, or moving money away from schools or putting an egocentric madman in charge is besides the point. You gotta take risks...and I guess that's what had to be done as NOT to be teh politican who lost the CWS.

It is what it is now..best to just enjoy what is there and try and forget about why they were built when city officials complain about the budget and try to tax everything from out of town drivers to toilet paper. Whatever had to be done I guess...can't do anything about it now.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the smaller Kauffman (without the fountains). That's what the bowl of the stadium feels like. I think TD actually needs another sooreboard. We were to the right of home plate on the edge of the net. The foul pole was blocking the outs on the scoreboard, and the 2 little ones they have on the overhand on either side are really small (was surprised no ribbon scoreboards).

It will be a great, great place for the CWS. The food selection was a little basic (though I am just a beer and hot dog guy at heart so I can't complain too much). I hope they get more local vendors as time goes on like Werner.

AJ, the NCAA may control the immediate area (as we've seen) but once you get out of that realm, with all of the bars and hotels downtown, there will be plenty out of their reach which will be great.

It was nice to see NU win the first game there.

It's going to be interesting to see how the stadium does for a normal Creighton crowd. Mike West has a challenge there to make it a good environment (a bigger version of what UNO is up against at Qwest).

I do have to throw this in. We've already been to Kauffman this year, my kids love the outfield experience. Due to the spring game and my six year olds little league and some other stuff we have not been to a game yet at Werner. My wife took my 4 year old last week to pick up their Little Chasers stuff at Werner because they had an open house for them, including use of their play area. About the 4th inning last night, he turned to me and goes, "Dad, I want to go to the play area." I had to tell him there wasn't one. I do think Creigton may eventually (or a Indy league team) may put some bounce houses or something similar in that elevated walking area in the outfield. Not ideal but it would be something.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  7:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm late to the party on this one (though I did comment about 40 pages back), but I'll chime in on a few things:

- The Omaha World-Herald (and everyone else who looked, including me) never could find that newspaper story in the Indianapolis Star that Mayor Mike Fahey quoted when this whole new stadium debacle started. (For those of you who don't recall, Mayor Fahey said a story in the Star said the NCAA threatened to move the College World Series if Omaha didn't build a new stadium.)

- I can't wait for the day when the Qwest Center and TD Ameritrade Park have an event on the same day (think Nighthawks vs. UNO hockey). It will be a disaster.

- AJ is on the money with his (page 65?) assessment that Omaha looks like it's either, a) made of money building two new ballparks (yes, I know one is in Sarpy County, but it's still "Omaha" in everyone's eyes); b) a bunch of idiots building a ballpark that's going to sit empty 95 percent of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Scrum
Freshman Mav

Turks and Caicos Islnd
52 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  8:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hal Dawg

- I can't wait for the day when the Qwest Center and TD Ameritrade Park have an event on the same day (think Nighthawks vs. UNO hockey). It will be a disaster.

You won't have to wait too long...May 10th: Nebraska vs. Creighton at TD Ameritrade Park and Bob Seger at the Qwest Center.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  8:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm late to the party on this one (though I did comment about 40 pages back), but I'll chime in on a few things:

Think bigger! In 2012, the last couple of days of the CWS are set to overlap with the first couple of days of the Olympic Swim Trials!

2012 CWS is scheduled to wrap up on the 25th or 26th of June. Swim Trials are scheduled to start on the 25th.

Can you say cluster----.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  10:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Think bigger! In 2012, the last couple of days of the CWS are set to overlap with the first couple of days of the Olympic Swim Trials!

2012 CWS is scheduled to wrap up on the 25th or 26th of June. Swim Trials are scheduled to start on the 25th.

Can you say cluster----.

You say cluster...I say probably the greatest day in Omaha sports history.

Parking >WILL< be a mess, but think about it for a second. ESPN and NBC both televising events from Omaha simultaneously nationally.

They've known about this, and tried to work around it, but couldn't.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  10:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe to those watching at home and around the country it will be a great showcase for Omaha. I'm pretty sure to anyone trying to reach the downtown area, it'll be a huge mess.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  06:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe to those watching at home and around the country it will be a great showcase for Omaha. I'm pretty sure to anyone trying to reach the downtown area, it'll be a huge mess.

I work downtown, within easy walking distance of both facilities. I know it will be a mess that day, but I'm sure that the city will figure something out that day. Both of these events are too important to the city.

Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  08:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God forbid we have too many events drawing national attention to Omaha at the same time. No sirree, Mister. I want us to live in 1979 obscurity.

"Thank you, Rick. Now wipe the spittle off of your monitor." ~ mcgwillie

http://www.twitter.com/RedArmyUNO
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  08:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Rick on the overall positivity on having two nationally televised events. I mean, if you can't have those two going on at the same time...then you don't deserve to host them. In that regard, schedule everything you can...whenever you can and leave the logistics up to everybody else. (IE - Go downtown at the crack of dawn...get a parking spot and start drinking)

With that being said...and I hate to be a Debbie Downer in all this ...but although I realize everybody tends to think we're the center of the universe....Having the CWS and a swim meet that only is not like hosting the Super Bowl and the World Series on the same city street.

Together on TV, the two events combined might draw a 2.0 rating...if that. The CWS was at its peak when it was a viable alternative on television. ie- it was something out of the norm that was cool to watch on TV. Now, you can watch college baseball all year long on about 40 different channels...many of which in HD and many of which in multiple languages.

It's the same reason the Olympics just aren't as cool as they used to be. As for swimming....Ummmmm yeah. It's swimming. Not an NFL playoff game.

Reel yourselves in a bit people.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't care how many things they schedule down there, the more the merrier IMO. I don't go to the swim trials and I attend 1-2 CWS games a year. So, likely it won't affect me. However, rest assured there will be problems and people in Omaha will scream about it. That's what we do around here. If we can't get to an event in town within 10 minutes and park right next to the door we complain like it's the end of the world. Other cities laugh at us because it makes us look like a cow town. The news will do stories and interview disguntled patrons who missed 20 minutes of the event.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  10:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

quote:

You say cluster...I say probably the greatest day in Omaha sports history.

I agree with you Mike...a great day.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realized the CWS is not a big ratings draw but it is noticed nationally. When I've traveled for work and mention Omaha, I'm always surprised how many people ask about the CWS. With it being on for 2 weeks, even small ratings ad up. I know there will be issues for parking when those two events take place. I'm sure that will be an all out effort to get the locals to do a park and ride. I think in the end it will be fine.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 years ago, I had to go to San Francisco the week of the CWS, and Stanford's trip to Omaha was the lead story at the top of the front page of the SF Chronicle.

Oh, and the Nighthawks/UNO issue might not even happen. The UFL is planning on starting their season in August...meaning that the final home game will probably be in early October. (And if the NFL is still locked out, the Nighthawks will be playing on Sunday anyway...)

The parking will be a problem, no doubt. But maybe MAT can get the Yard Parking empire back in business to shuttle people from the front lawns of South "O" downtown...

Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  1:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All these events add to Omaha's brand equity over time. They might not draw the biggest ratings, but they bring in a lot of young baseball teams, swim teams, or whatever following exists. They are always very different demographics too. And in the process, the local economy gets a significant amount of extra revenue. I believe some Old Market restaurants ran out of food during the trials. The chamber of commerce even uses them to invite business executives to town.

Todd n Tyler interviewed a guest the other day who informed them at the end that he's going to be in Omaha this June for the CWS because his son's youth team is going. So they're going to get him in the studio. It's an example of how Omaha is able to build its brand through these events. The guy probably did a hundred radio interviews that morning, but 'Omaha' struck a chord with him. What did Olympic viewers see when they watched swimming events? Highlights of the trials from 'Omaha'.

The positive effect is even greater because people are also exposed to Omaha Steaks, Mutual of Omaha, Warren Buffett, city rankings, advertisements, etc., on a national level.

So if a little traffic congestion causes a bunch of locals to b*tch on wowt.com, I could care less. It's the vocal minority. And most people complaining are so ignorant to the facts anyways.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  3:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I guess I’m not the only one that thinks TD is boring. I'll actually take it one step further than Rob White and give it the dreaded "cookie cutter" label which is what he was trying to say without saying it. I know the Omaha slobberfest is in full force with TD, but the more I think about it, my initial thoughts of the ballparks blandness are just getting more and more reinforced. From Rob White’s OWH chat today…

quote:
I haven't been inside TD Ameritrade yet. But I've got one word for it .... boring.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm there, but every time I look at the playing surface I think I'm looking at the Oakland Coliseum. Way too much foul territory. No character, just a circular stadium just like all those stadiums built in the 1960s that have since been blown up. Very bland, which is I'm sure what the NCAA ordered. Just like the way they have to have the exact same court for every game in the NCAA tournament now.

Werner Park has character, with the tight left field and right field foul line areas, a little element of Fenway off the line in left with fans facing the middle of the field, and deep and angled power alleys. And that's just the playing surface. It's a cool park.

He later says...

quote:
Rob White:
TD Ameritrade does look cool from the outside and maybe on the inside it's really cool, I just don't know yet. I heard the suite level is fantastic ... not that that does me a lot of good. All I've seen is pictures of the field, and I'm not impressed. Oh, and my understanding is you can't see the First National Bank tower from the press box, but you can from Werner Park, which is kind of funny if you think about it.

On minor league parks:

I haven't been to many other minor league parks. I've been to Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Clinton, Oklahoma City, and several near the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown (Binghamton, Buffalo, possibly Norwich and another one I think). Werner Park is like the next generation of ballparks. With the carousel/kids zone, the basketball court and the whiffleball field, it's part amusement park and part stadium. Each time a new stadium is built, the teams plan by going and visiting all the most recently built stadiums and incorporating what they've done. So they'll be doing that here for quite a while (Oh, by the way, the concession stand food looks fantastic. I would have some, but the press box food is fantastic, too.).

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110421/SPORTS/110429972#pro-baseball-talk-1-p-m
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  6:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little imagery on my comparison between TDA on the inside and Kaufmann minus the upper deck. Take a look at this link and click the "loge level" button at the top once the graphic loads...

http://www.seats3d.com/mlb/kansas_city_royals/

Now, picture what remains without the scoreboard, fountains, outfield bar and replace all of that with bleacher seating and add an Oakland Coliseum amount of foul territory to the mix. It's a pretty striking resemblance, IMO.

This link can also be used for a comparison. Click on "seating"...

http://omaha.com/assets/swf/OW5897416.SWF#interactive-td-ameritrade-park
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  09:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get the 'bland' stadium remarks. Omaha built a CWS stadium, not a minor league stadium. The Royals wanted a gimmicky minor league park so that's what they built. CWS games are about baseball while minor league ball is about everything except baseball. I absolutely love that we get both experiences. But it's like you have to pick a side and can't enjoy the other. I don't get it.

Rosenblatt was basically just as 'bland' as TD. So I guess character means having three different colors of seats. Yet, nobody ever complained about the Blatt looking boring. That's because the magic of the CWS is the people, not the stadium. Rosenlatt was gaudy but come CWS time, it looked amazing.

Still, I think TD looks amazing in person. It's massive, spacious, and each side has an amazing but different view. The inside is decorated with all the past winners and a tribute to Rosenblatt. I think the main entrance could've been spruced up, but what's the point? It has a great urban vibe to it, and the money was better spent on players' amenities. I love the brick too.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  09:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, if you start comparing TD to MLB ballparks (its closest relatives), you can see a little lack of vision in the design. I like the place from the outside a ton, but on the inside it is very generic. That's fine. I'm a baseball fan and will watch it wherever and it's absolutely an upgrade over Rosenblatt. I'm not one of those "Save Rosenblatt" people and I was saying for years the place was a dump. The Blatt was a late 40's concrete horseshoe (the design standard of the time) that was haphazardly modified over the years with differing design standards. There was nothing special about that place outside of the events it hosted.

Still, ballparks like Busch Stadium, Coors Field, Camden Yards, Kaufmann, Target Field, etc just have alot more character to them that what this stadium has. Honestly, you could have put this stadium in any city and it would have worked. There's no flavor to the interior and there's certainly nothing distinctly Omaha besides the view from the outfield. That's why I tend to say that it falls into the trap of being cookie cutter. It is what it is and I'm positive that's what the NCAA wanted, but compared to the level of architectural thought that was put into some of the newer MLB ballparks, this one just comes off as boring in comparison. And, for the record Werner Park is boring from the outside but that's less of a big deal.

I'm not picking a side and fully plan to enjoy both. I've said from the start that we needed both ballparks and that they both have their unique experiences. However, I am enough of a ballpark conniseur that I can immediately see the flaws in both new parks. I'm not going to ignore those flaws. Like I said, I have high standards for baseball stadiums.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will say this stadium is actually a bit unique compared to the post Camden ballparks. Ever since the retro design came into play you've got a ton of parks that are primarily brick and sqaured in their lines (though some like PNC and Target are a little different in that they used limestone or something like it not brick, but still have squared lines). I will say TD has some personality in the brick and glass combo outside and the rounded features inside (like Kauffman).

The sightlines at TD are fantastic. During the NU game I went all around the lower level and the upper deck. There is a ton of leg room so most people can walk past you in your seat without you having to get up (I did out of courtesy but I did not need to).

I will almost argue that the cookie cutter effect is now more pronounced at retro parks like Busch than TD. Many times the only difference is what the sklyine of the individual city has that you can see outside the outfield fence.

I think TD is great for the CWS. I do think Werner is far superior for smaller events like minor league baseball, high school and college games. I know for my kids they prefer Werner due to the outfield berm area (they love that at Haymarket) and the play area.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Architecturally, major league parks have several tiers of seating, infield and outfield. Otherwise, they are basically the same design as TD. Personally, I think they all pretty much look similar to each other too. It's the vertical design that makes them so much more eye-catching than our park. So unless they doubled the capacity (and cost) of TD, it could never rival the 'character' of a major league stadium. Really, there's only so much you can do inside a baseball stadium.

Perhaps Omaha could've found something like Kauffman's fountains to put inside, but nothing is really going to be unique. The dome was probably that signature element, but again that's something outside and separate from the stadium.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see Busch stadium as cookie cutter at all. The columns that they incorporated in the outfield as well as the black iron at the entranceway as well as on top of the upper deck to mimic the Eads Bridge give it a distinct look to it that isn't really replicated anywhere else in baseball. Also, the way their suites are laid out there are very unique compared to other ballparks. Just because a ballpark uses red brick doesn't make it cookie cutter especially if the surrounding downtown area uses alot of red brick.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  11:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me Busch was fine but still had a similar feel to the other newer stadiums. It's fine don't get me wrong, has some smaller unique features but nothing that really jumps out at you either (like the fountains at Kauffman).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will agree with you on that. It's not a top 5 new ballpark or anything, but I still see it as having more individual charm than TD because of the stuff that I mentioned.

Don't get me wrong. TD is still a nice facility and comparing it to MLB parks is kind of apples to oranges to a degree. I'm really not saying I hate it or anything. I'm still proud that I was there for the first game and it's a great time for the metro area.

It's just kinda uninspired, IMO. That's all. Not the end of the world, and I'm sure that some people will vehemently disagree with me on it. But, I know I'm not the only one that thinks that way.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't see it. Take off the upper tiers of Busch Stadium (or most major league parks), and I think it looks similar to TD. Busch has a decorative top, but with one major tier and a smaller second tier, the stadium would still look flat and plain like TD Park with its overhang. Add two or three tiers to our stadium, and it'd look much more spectacular. They also would've had more wall space to work with. Though the views of downtown would be significantly decreased.

The outside of TD could've been built with pillars, arches, angles, etc. which I would've loved. But they really had to be careful with the budget, and players' amenities were obviously their biggest priorities. I still like the brick and glass though. And I especially like that it wasn't designed to look like the Qwest Center at all.

The one feature of the CWS I'll miss is having a net that goes back to connect to the upper level. It was always funny listening to the crowd boo or cheer the ball girls. That was pretty unique.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but at Busch I think when I was on the main level behind home plate and I was surprised that you coud not see the field like you do at TD. For a brand new stadium, huge flaw. That's a major plus at TD.

You are correct in the apples to oranges. Not having a third (and fourth deck) is another advantage of TD, With suites and such you are getting so far away from the field anymore. Even from the top row of TD you are still not too high above the field.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, there's no 360 concourse because of the way the suites are situated in the ballpark. They had a very small piece of land to work with and wedged the ballpark into the city grid. It is what it is. I'm the type that thinks 360 concourses are wildly overrated. Honestly, that's the biggest compliment anyones been able to give TD to this point. But, for someone like me who goes to a game to actually watch baseball, I'm not going to miss that much of a game due to standing in line at concession stands anyway.

I suppose that stuff is more important if you have the big play areas and whatnot. However, TD has none of that. How often are you going to really be standing in line for hot dogs and beers in the course of one game? It's not like there's really any other reason to be back there the whole time. There's no bars there, no rides, nothing. So, assuming they get the 30 minute waits in the concession stand lines fixed, you'd think the whole open concourses thing isn't that big of a deal anyway. Maybe once in a while during a particularly cold game or swealtering game for some shade, but not that often.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  6:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's where TD is the strongest. If you just go to watch baseball, it's great. Fabulous sight lines that curve with the field, wide seats and aisles. Even at the top you are still not that far from the field. At MLB parks like Busch, once you hit that third and if they have it the fourth deck, you are way up there. Even the 2nd deck at some is high. I understand on the 360 but when you figure the hundreds of millions that went into Busch, I just think it's a drawback.

I would have liked for TD to have some of the kids stuff like Werner as well, but from a pure baseball watching standpoint, I think they hit a home run.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000