Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  09:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stadium downtown is an overbuilt monument to our inability to negotiate. When ever we think about some corp getting a sweetheat deal, we should think first about all the money that got blown on the ballpark and on the qwest and learn our lesson. The ncaa had our political leaders over a barrel due to knee jerk sports fans who screamed about how essential the cws is and economists who generated misleadingly rosy economic forecasts for how much money we were all getting from it.

We should be more circumspect and play harder to get. Afterall, if these stadia were such great investments, the teams would built them themselves and not leverage the cities to pay for them.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  09:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

Oh, and if you want to just use all media reports and articles on pricing, the orginal price tage thrown out for the downtown ballpark was $50MM. Just a reminder that the price is a little more than $50MM. That was from the first Sunday in May 2007 in the OWH.

That's a great point. That was also to include the movable seating for that price.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  10:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take it all back. King Roger let some fat cat son's little league open the ballpark last night....complete with cheerleaders.

I wish I could make this stuff up.

And by the way...as a longtime coach and father of 3...let me be the first to mention that if you're SEVEN year's old...you do not need a $120 pair of spikes to play baseball to go with your $300 bag.

http://omaha.com/article/20110418/NEWS01/704189911#little-leaguers-lead-off-at-ballpark
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  12:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alot of back patting going on there. Good for the kids, but unless you donated a bunch of money, don't expect your little league games to be played at TD. It is what it is and it's how Omaha operates. Doesn't even phase me.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to talk about what is wrong with youth sports...that could be another 67 page thread.

Oh, and I've given Mike's ridiculous comments a good 4hrs to marinate on....and they're still just as ridiculous now as they were when he wrote them. I'll give it a bit longer before I address them.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  3:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

If you want to talk about what is wrong with youth sports...that could be another 67 page thread.

Easily.

My favorite Youth Sports observation was from the head of our Pediatric Orthopedics group, when he said that If you looked at a list of all the pitchers who have pitched at least one inning in a World Series game (ever) and a list of all the Little league all star pitchers (ever) and asked how many names made both lists, the answer would be zero.

I work with a kid who's dad was a pro soccer player and is now a coach who had quit youth soccer coaching in Omaha as he said it was all about how many cones you had on the field and how many drills the kids did and not on playing soccer.

His observation was that Brazil pumps out most of the worlds best soccer players. That many of them don't even have a soccer ball growing up and don't play on carefully manicured pitches. They play along open sewers and they learn to control the ball to avoid both having to wade into the sewer to get the ball and getting beat up from messing up their friend's ball. Fundamental life skills learned along with learning how to bend the ball.

Too much emphasis on competition and not enough emphasis on having a good time. Too much emphasis on having all the cool gear and uniforms and not enough emphasis on learning basic skills. Too much cost for regular families to afford it, so these sports are basically a form of economic segregation.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  3:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can say that USA Hockey seems to get it. I went to their level 1 and level 2 coaching clinics this year. They have put out a new development program, the American Development Model. They stressed not having travel squads too early, emphasize the fun, and making sure the kids did not focus too early just on hockey. They recommended not having kids play hockey more than 25% of their sports time.

I liked what I heard.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  4:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter is 9 and I'm getting her into baseball for the first time. She likes it...but doesn't like it enough to go 3hrs a night 4x per week. Some of my family says it's "too late" for her, because "all teh otehr girls started earlier playing select leagues." My response is...those are the girls who WON'T make it a lot of the time, for that very same reason.

I didn't play an organized game until I was 9...didn't play a "select" team (ie 54+ game schedules) until I was 14...and ended up playing every single summer up until now. I'm pretty sure that part of the reason I still love to play is because I didn't get so burned out when I was younger.

Oh well...part of the process now I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I can say that USA Hockey seems to get it. I went to their level 1 and level 2 coaching clinics this year. They have put out a new development program, the American Development Model. They stressed not having travel squads too early, emphasize the fun, and making sure the kids did not focus too early just on hockey. They recommended not having kids play hockey more than 25% of their sports time.

I liked what I heard.

Greg

It would be nice to have a path for hockey and other niche sports where kids didn't have to travel at all. That gets to be so expensive and intrusive that either a family just revolves around the sport, or the kid is basically out of the sport. Most people can't afford it. I wonder what these games would be like at the college level if a bunch of kids were still playing it at the high school level.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just looking again pictures of the new park.

Call me a hater and all...but does anybody think the new park downtown is a bit...ahem...boring?

I mean, it's shiney and new and all...but without any signage, without a home tenant it just looks...corporate and stale.

Maybe it's just me.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  6:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the new ballpark looks very nice. I'm pleased with both of them.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

but without any signage, without a home tenant it just looks...corporate and stale.

Wait a minute.... without Coca-Cola, Budweiser, BP, and Hy-Vee signs all over the place, it looks corporate?

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cubsfan62395
Freshman Mav

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  9:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the open house today assuming it would look stale, but I am extremely impressed with the park.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  10:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will look generic...and likely sterile. But I think when it's combined with the surrounding area, it's going to be oh-so-cool...

They said on the news this evening that the parking lots will open at 9 am tomorrow for tailgating...

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  08:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When are the fences going up?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the fences were already up at MECA-Max security prison.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  09:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure. I'll be there for the CU/NU game and was going to look.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant stale, not corporate. Corporate as in taking all of the soul and vibe out of the CWS.

Not that I care. The whole thing has been pretty much a sheepshow attention festival since about 1998.

PS - By the way...anybody note the FIRST thing out of Dennis Pope's mouth in the OWH article this morning was about how hard they worked to make the field "the best in the west."

Now, since that guy pretty much owns the entire northeast chunk of downtown now...think he's going to be down with REO Speedwagon tearing up his infield come July?*

Good luck with that.

* Offspring of Corporate Bigwigs and their little league buddies with 3,000 bucks worth of gear is OK though.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Nope. Not as of last evening. No sign of the construction either (i.e. digging holes, for example.); my guess is that that work won't happen until next month at the earliest.

It does sound like the playing field is in excellent shape. If that's the case, the NCAA won't have any problems with concerts and even the Nighthawks, as long as there is plenty of sod available to fix the field during the offseason. This sod was laid down the last week of October.

Did anybody catch this in last night's paper?
quote:
“If we could average 6,000 for our non-Nebraska games,” West said, “I think that would be considered a great success this first year.”

http://omaha.com/article/20110417/BLUEJAYS/704189885

Talk about setting the bar high. I don't want to completely dismiss the possibility, because I never thought Creighton basketball would occasionally sell out the Qwest Center, let alone regularly fill the place....but that would be very impressive, if not unbelievable. I would have thought Creighton would have targeted about half that number...

Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well considering they announced the music festival and lightly promoted it with a website, I'm confident they've checked to make sure they could actually use the stadium for concerts.

www.omahahockeytalk.com
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

AJ, how do you think ESPN will spin the new downtown park? Will they bring up the fact that Omaha basically built a CWS only baseball field? Or, will they ignore that and just show the country what a beautiful facility it is?

Sorry...I completely glossed over this:

ESPN will be all over what an amazing facility it is (I'm sure it is in many ways, and they'll talk about how they did whatever it took to keep such a great event here...which is also true)

What they won't talk about..and what they don't care about (because they don't live here) is what happens the other 50 weeks out of the year.

I expect a pure 100% honey soaked love fest from ESPN as well as Tom Shatel exploding in a candy coated explosion of back-patting arrogance the likes of which the world has never seen.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't think the NCAA doesn't have 110% say over what goes on in that park (or what touches the field)...you've crossed over from insane to batsh*t crazy. But it will be fine if they just re-sod it right?

Seriously?

Oh dude.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

Nope. Not as of last evening. No sign of the construction either (i.e. digging holes, for example.); my guess is that that work won't happen until next month at the earliest.

It does sound like the playing field is in excellent shape. If that's the case, the NCAA won't have any problems with concerts and even the Nighthawks, as long as there is plenty of sod available to fix the field during the offseason. This sod was laid down the last week of October.

quote:
“If we could average 6,000 for our non-Nebraska games,” West said, “I think that would be considered a great success this first year.”

Talk about setting the bar high. I don't want to completely dismiss the possibility, because I never thought Creighton basketball would occasionally sell out the Qwest Center, let alone regularly fill the place....but that would be very impressive, if not unbelievable. I would have thought Creighton would have targeted about half that number...

Mike that's a great point. I would have thought they would shoot for 3k and build. If they can average 6k they are doing great because of the challenges of the weekday games. If Mike is shooting publicly for 6k I think that means they are doing well on ticket sales already. He's done a great job on their basketball experience.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  1:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

quote:

The only way I see CU drawing 6k a night is if they keep printing tickets like monopoly money and giving them out for free. Of course, the actual will still be 2k or 3k, but they'll announce 6k. I can't even count how many times the actual at the Qwest Center was something like 11k and they'd announce 16k. I know this as absolute fact.

Let's put it this way, even when NU was rattling off CWS appearances in the early 00's, they never averaged 6k a game at Haymarket (which is a better day to day D-I baseball facility, IMO)

There's going to have to be some fuzzy math to get CU to 6k per game or beyond. Maybe Mike West and Jim Suttle will start bussing in homeless people to CU games.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  2:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like everyone plays around with their attendance numbers any more. We've see UNO do it, Creighton's done it, heck even NU does it by counting vendors and everyone else as part of the attendance at football games.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you don't think the NCAA doesn't have 110% say over what goes on in that park (or what touches the field)...you've crossed over from insane to batsh*t crazy. But it will be fine if they just re-sod it right?

Seriously?

Oh dude.

I don't disagree at all about the NCAA having veto powers as to what happens on that field. What we've got now is a direct result of what the NCAA wants. (During the design phase, could things have been done to accomodate the Royals? Yes. But that's another debate.)

That being said, I know what that field looked like last September and early October. A monster truck rally would cause less disruption than the construction equipment did.

The NCAA also knows that the stadium has to be economically viable in order for the city to make future enhancements. So their greed in wanting the city to install an extra 5000 seats in 8-10 years will outweigh their evil in restricting what happens in the summer and fall, figuring that there will be more than enough time to repair the damage.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  3:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Werner Park continues to prove to be a hit locally:

http://www.ketv.com/video/27590774/detail.html
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  7:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like there are about 12,000-13,000 actual fans here tonight.

Nice ballpark, but very plain.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  8:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Official" attendance is 22,197. Insert appropriate guffaws about how it was calculated.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

Looks like there are about 12,000-13,000 actual fans here tonight.

Nice ballpark, but very plain.

I have it on authority that the actual was just above 16k even though CU announced 22k.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000