Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  09:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I'm not going to declare which side is right on this debate, but I do want to make a couple of observations.

1) We're still in the biggest real estate downturn we've seen. I'm not sure I want to read much of anything into census figures that include the last three years.
2) While it sounds good to say that people are "always going to want suburban homes", don't deal in absolutes. $4 gas, the dynamics of the terrain of the metro area, and increasing commute times might eventually mean people stop moving further and further west and south. People used to say housing prices never went down either... oops...

That being said, we have been seeing much more redevelopment in town than we ever have. Midtown Crossing, Downtown condos, Aksarben Village ...all new development well inside the suburbs. There is a shift happening.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Omaha's not as large as these cities but here is some other schools of thought on urban vs suburban growth. I do believe Omaha will have groth in it's urban areas (and hope it's true) but I still see NW Omaha and Sarpy's growth outpacing it going forward for at least the next 10 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2011-04-07-1Acities07_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Good turnout for their family fest today. Could not have asked for better weather:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110406/NEWS01/110409862

Let me see if I've got this straight. They held a "family fest" on a Wednesday morning in April?

#kidsatschool #parentsatwork #wtf

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's when the team was in town prior to their opening road trip. Millard Public schools are on Spring Break this week (my oldest goes to OPS, they were on Spring Break last week), not sure on the other school districts. I think this is the third year in a row they've done this. With it being on a Wednesday morning in April (as you pointed out) I think that makes the turnout all the more impressive, especially for a location that you might have mentioned a time or two is a bit extreme for Omaha. :)

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good article:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110406/SPORTS/704069758#shatel-signs-of-the-time-point-to-new-baseball-stadiums
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  12:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if you think about it, the last 365 days have been unprecedented in Omaha in terms of change. It really is a year we may never experience again and little of it has to do with anything happening in an actual game.

-Nebraska moves to the Big 10
-Rosenblatt Stadium closes
-Royals get a new name and their new ballpark opens
-New ballpark opens for the CWS
-New arena announced for the Lancers
-UNO goes Division I and drops football and wrestling

More has happened in the local sports scene in the last year than probably other decades combined. Some of it has been great, but alot of it has been really divisive, but change often is.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes unbelievable. Go out a little farther with Lincoln over the next few years and you've got a big expansion to Memorial Stadium, indoor baseball practice facility, new Haymarket Arena-with NU moving men's and women's b-ball off campus, practice b-ball facility, Devaney renovation for v-ball-with them moving out of the coliseum...

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  9:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

Good turnout for their family fest today. Could not have asked for better weather:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110406/NEWS01/110409862

Let me see if I've got this straight. They held a "family fest" on a Wednesday morning in April?

#kidsatschool #parentsatwork #wtf

Yep, a great move and event that the current group started 3 years ago. Instead of the private media day they use to do, they opened it up for the public to come out and make an annual event. Not perfect as not all schools are out, but it is based on the travel sched of the team based on the league schedule. I asked earlier this week and it makes perfect sense. Either have no one in your ballpark to watch the team other than media or have 2000-3000 people to market, brand and sell.

They are trying to have an event on a Saturday early in the year for the public, but I haven't seen the details yet.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good article:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110406/SPORTS/704069758#shatel-signs-of-the-time-point-to-new-baseball-stadiums

Looks like Tom gets minor league baseball now and is with the new management. Interesting piece.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  9:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and pretty funny that Werner Park announced a major concert before TD.

Anyone know the status of Red Sky that was to be announced around Feb 15? Last I heard is that they were going to keep the same schedle with lesser name artists or shortne it to be able to get the names they wanted. Budget was about 1/2 of what they needed for the right artists. I hope it happens because it could be a really good and cool event for the metro.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  9:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last I heard, LiveNation was the hangup with Red Sky, and they had an impressive lineup. Maybe you've got the inside scoop, but the World-Herald's Kevin Coffey reports that MECA was going to announce it this week. (Well, there's still tomorrow...)

http://rockcandyomaha.blogspot.com/2011/04/fake-lineup-for-red-sky-music-festival.html

As for the "Family Fun Fest", well, you could hold it Tuesday or Wednesday evening, or at least later in the afternoon. I saw something about they had scheduled another "family event" on the same day as the Nebraska spring game. I didn't know about spring break for Millard, so it obviously wasn't as much of a mistake as I thought it was. Parts of Millard are relatively close.

Shatel also reports that parking was dicey yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  9:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you are right on Red Sky
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  10:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LiveNation is the hangup with Red Sky. They haven't signed the contracts for their summer tours yet so they can't make an announcement.

Sec. 213 row A seats 11, 12
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  08:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could see parking being interesting out there. I saw a post earlier on here that referenced 1800 spots? That seems really low if they draw up to or near the 9000k plus. There's plenty of room to add parking but, in the short term could be interesting.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  08:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they have problems with parking, that could be a huge problem for them. I mean, this place is in the middle of a former cornfield. There is absolutely no excuse not to have ample parking. If it's a giant cluster getting in and out of there, I could see people staying away and I wouldn't blame them. You know what they say about first impressions, right? Werner Park could make a huge bad first impression if they don't have enough parking. Where else are you going to park out there if the lots are full? Walk from Papillion La-Vista South? If 1800 spots is correct, you'd have to AVERAGE 5 people per car on a sellout night of 9k. That sounds like a mess.
Go to Top of Page

Prime Rib
Junior Mav

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got the Red Sky Music Fest, as well as some Team USA baseball exhibitions and the MoValley baseball tourney.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea what they are expecting attendance-wise for the MoValley tourney?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

If they have problems with parking, that could be a huge problem for them. I mean, this place is in the middle of a former cornfield. There is absolutely no excuse not to have ample parking. If it's a giant cluster getting in and out of there, I could see people staying away and I wouldn't blame them. You know what they say about first impressions, right? Werner Park could make a huge bad first impression if they don't have enough parking. Where else are you going to park out there if the lots are full? Walk from Papillion La-Vista South? If 1800 spots is correct, you'd have to AVERAGE 5 people per car on a sellout night of 9k. That sounds like a mess.

In 7-10 years , somebody will likely have developed that "Pennant Place" or whatever they're calling it, and the parking for that will handle the overflow. Somebody may need to start developing the lots for that now...at least throw down some gravel. I don't know how many spots they'll need at the Trailer Park, but considering the "family" market they are planning, I think they need at bare minimum another 700 spots. (That's 3 people per car on AVERAGE for a crowd of 7500.) More than likely, they need about 1200 more.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  11:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the stadium has inadequate parking. They will be running a shuttle bus back and forth between Papillion South High school on days where they anticipate the lots filling up. How the bleep do you build a ballpark in the middle of a cornfield with tons of land in every direction and not manage to have enough parking? I feel safe in predicting they will regret this. I think alot of people won't be happy buying into the idea that they should deal with the hassle of parking at an off site area and taking a bus to the game. What a joke.

Honestly, if it is too inconvenient to go to games out there, they are going to cost themselves customers. Some people will get a bad taste in their mouths over this and decide it's just easier to stay home. This also pretty much guarantees that next Friday night will be an absolute cluster out there.

Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  06:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone go to the high school games on Friday night? Perhaps a first hand report on parking - all be it on a 'small crowd night' - would be nice here amongst all the speculation.

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
@Hoffin205
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was there. Despite Mike's predictable snarky remarks, I shall address what I saw. (By the way,it's going to be awesome to watch him reach and stretch for ways to b*tch about this for an entire season. Also, music festivals just don't happen anymore. nobody tours like that. It's one of those things that sounds great..but nobody does)

The Good:
- sight lines are great. Pretty crazy to be that close to that caliber of players. (Not the HS guys..but you know what I mean).

- LaMesa concession stand. Taco platter, highly recommend.

- No matter where you are, you can pretty much see the field at all times. It's a small thing, but if you're chasing around a five year old as I was...that's a pretty big thing.

- Good crowd yesterday. As a PLHS baseball alum, it was pretty cool to see so many familiar faces. A great night for Papillion and Sarpy county.

- Shatel is a drama queen. Parking was fine, people just had to figure out that there are other lots toward the back..not fighting to get into the first little area. It was a little congested getting into the park..but I think that's because nobody knew where they were going and the guys handling the parking lots (taking $) were clueless. By the way...don't pay 2 bucks. Just walk. It's not that freaking far, and you could probably use the exercise anyway.

- Should have lots of room for picnics and corporate events. They obviously planned it out well for that kind of thing.

- Team store was pretty sweet, despite how lame the name of the team is.

- Storm Chaser cheerleader girls were OK, but hopefully they'll draw some more talent to the pool if you know what I mean.

- Even though you're in a corn field, 500 miles from civilization, you don't really feel that way when you're inside the stadium. Sure it's pretty ..ahem..rural when you drive out..but inside the stadium, you cant really tell.

The bad:

- WHO IN THE NAME OF ROGER DIXON DECIDED it was a good idea to shake down little kids' backpacks and confiscate candy bars and drink boxes? Rosenblatt allowed take-in food for years and years and I don't recally it crushing the local economy. Oh, and if you're going to ransack my child's Star Wars backpack, at least you can be somewhat friendly about it. Drop your SWAT team attitude and figure out a better way. You're still nothing but a 20-something d0uchebag with a hat and a walkie talkie. Idiots

- Craig Evans. Not a good announcer. At least he was better than the sound guy. Long timers know my opinion on this.

- The name Storm Chasers gets more and more idiotic the more I hear it. I'm waiting for it to grow on me. It's not.

- I can see the wind being a problem out there..but probably not any worse than the gale-force wind-tunnel that was Rosenblatt, which was so smartly built on a hill in one of the highest points in the city.

- Camera angles were really bad on the scoreboard. Why have highlights/replays when you can't even make out the players? I assume this will improve.

- Bar in Center field could have potential..but pretty small overall. Would have liked to have seen them spend more time developing that part of the park.

Overall a really really nice little ballpark, for say AA. It's well beyond small in terms of what a AAA team deserves...but for Sarpy County..for all the crap that the Royals have been through over the years...it's a really nice little place. With so many high profile prospects about to come through here, it will be great for everybody to be so close to the players pretty much every step of the way.

I was pretty impressed, but they obviously have a lot of things to work on after the first night out.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny post AJ. Exercise funny. You can't call Mike out for snarky remarks as if you're not in the same boat though when you call out the ballpark yourself for saying it's "500 miles from civilization". Backpack story, funny.

The Storm Chaser name will seem particularly ironic when it's 80 and sunny out. I hadn't really thought about it to this point because I don't care much about the Royals, errr Storm Chasers, or for getting myself involved in the stadium debate but for being so close to the majors, especially as close as some of the Royals prospects supposedly are, hard to imagine them playing in such a small stadium not suited to AAA baseball. Sounds like a nice, quaint atmosphere to catch a game though. I'll have to get to one this summer.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be fair buetane, Rosenblatt itself did not conform to the standards of Major League Baseball from a player development standpoint. The clubhouse was so small, I think Omaha had to get a waiver to let it be used. Jirschle basically said his office was a closet. I'm not sure, but I can't imagine Rosenblatt had much in the way of indoor batting cages. So, in regards to what the players see and use on a day to day basis, this ballpark will be much, much closer to MLB standards than Rosenblatt was. Werner may not reach Bricktown in OKC or Autozone Park in Memphis for lavish player amenities, but it will be ahead of Rosenblatt.

It's really the size, scale, and fan amenities of the ballpark that are going to be far behind the rest of AAA. It's one of the smallest ballparks in AAA. Spend some time at a website like, http://www.digitalballparks.com/ and peruse the AAA stadiums they have on display and you'll see alot of them are like mini mlb stadiums. AJ is right, this is more of a really nice AA stadium, but that's not necessarily a terrible thing.

Overall, out of the 30 AAA ballparks currently in use, I expect this to be somewhere between 20-30. Look at pictures online of places like Security Services Field in Colorado Springs. It would be in that same style to an extent, but still ahead of that ballpark. I don't care though. It's still a functional ballpark with decent sight lines that saved AAA baseball in this city. The rest will work itself out.

In the short term, what I'm really worried about is the parking. If they are going to be running shuttle busses from papio south, they need to get that info out there RIGHT NOW. Every news station in Omaha should be letting people know otherwise, next Friday is going to be a giant mess. Get down there at least an hour early, IMO if you want to see the start of the game. They have no marquee in front of the ballpark. How would anyone know when the lots are full other than to enter the property, wait in line, and then be told to turn around and go a mile back down the street and wait in line for the shuttle bus. Can you imagine what kind of a nightmare that may be and how many angry customers that could create?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

I was there. Despite Mike's predictable snarky remarks, I shall address what I saw.

[snip]

- Even though you're in a corn field, 500 miles from civilization, you don't really feel that way when you're inside the stadium. Sure it's pretty ..ahem..rural when you drive out..but inside the stadium, you cant really tell.

Thanks for conceding my argument.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you probably got me there nouse. Rosenblatt I know had a cage, how nice it was I dunno. Good point too about saving AAA baseball in this town.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice post AJ. As the father of 4 and 6 year old boys, I appreciate the part about being able to follow the action from almost all places.

Sounds like the did a fantastic job with the stadium for the budget that they spent on this. I remember it being compared to the MAC prior to construction. Sounds like it far exceeds that to others. It did to me when I saw it on the sneak previews but still waiting on final judgement once I see an actual game there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

Yeah, you probably got me there nouse. Rosenblatt I know had a cage, how nice it was I dunno. Good point too about saving AAA baseball in this town.

Yeah, the bottom line is, I believe the average fan will see this as an upgrade over Rosenblatt in terms of amenities, comfort, and overall game experience. It only suffers when compared to other AAA ballparks. Luckily for the Storm Chasers, not alot of people are coniseurs of minor league ballparks and won't know if this place is better or worse than Colorado Springs, Memphis, OKC, or Des Moines.

The danger they do run, however, is if this starts getting compared to TD Ameritrade. It won't compare favorably and it shouldn't considering the events they are catering the facilities to are apples and oranges. The fact that the CWS is a different beast from AAA baseball is what got us here in the first place, but I do acknowledge there's a danger of people not recognizing that and seeing the Werner as inferior to TD.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  4:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of the reason it seems so small, is because Rosenblatt was so big. (For a AAA park). That being said..in terms of dugouts, and other things for the team...I'm sure this is night and day better. (When I worked there, we started naming the rats at one point).

Stinks it's not really grand...but again..it is what it is.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  6:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went out there this afternoon. I couldn't have been more pleased with the ballpark. Great sightlines. An incredibly upgraded choice of concessions. I couldn't be happier with the park itself. I'll hold judgement on the parking situation till I go to a few games with more people in attendance. Still, that's something that can be rectified easily. There's no shortage of land for more parking.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From his chat today, I guess Shatel agrees with my original suggestion that UNO baseball should be at WErner Park. I've backed off that a bit because I'm afraid it might be cost prohibitive, but if Alan Stein or Sarpy, whoever is in charge of that, would give them a great deal, I'd be all for it. In fact, I'd be the first one on the season ticket list.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110411/SPORTS/110419977#lunch-with-tom-noon

BTW, my wife and I went out to a UNO baseball game at Boys Town on Saturday. Fun time. It was free and there was about 100 people there. This is my wife's words, not mine, but she enjoyed it for its "primative nature" and how it felt like watching a small town baseball game.

It has potential to be a fun product. They have alot of work though before they could go from Boys Town to Werner Park.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  3:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Sportsounds Off last night they said there are going to be college games played there going forward. Between the Chaser's, concerts, high school games, and now college, it's nice to see the dates filling up.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000