Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  07:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And have had billboards up for at least a month. Things are getting busy for Creighton.

They announced that date a while ago after originally trying to work out a deal to play on April 13 against Virginia or Notre Dame on ESPN, but Creighton was told NO that the stadium could not, or would not be ready in time for that.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  08:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember them saying when they announced NU as the opening opponent on April 19th (which was a couple of months ago, btw) that they wanted to do a game earlier in the season against a big name team but it wouldn't work out.

Funny that 1-2 weeks makes all the difference there on a 2 year project.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  10:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The statue out front is being removed tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand Rosenblatt being torn down and supported the new stadiums. That being said I can't help but being sad as it nears the end. I've got some of my best memories in there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  3:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it will hit me until I see the wrecking ball hit it.

As long as it doesn't suffer the same fate as AkSarBen, I'll probably be ok with it. Nothing was more painful than seeing that ghostly horse track and arena sit in disrepair and decay for 5 years overgrown with weeds and starting to rust as the former grounds around it were slowly consumed by the university and businesses.

That was an indignity worse than the wrecking ball. If the zoo has any decency, they will make this quick.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  09:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article on the funding of Werner;

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110305/NEWS01/703059879/0#lodging-taxes-aid-sarpy-sites
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  9:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chasers honor Cuevas and World Herald follows with a story.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110309/NEWS01/703109903#last-day-at-blatt-for-cuevas
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  1:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tarp is coming off the field at TD Ameritrade Park. From the distance, it's a lovely shade of green.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  1:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to the season ticket holder pickup event on Saturday at Werner Park. It was the first time they allowed people to walk a full 360 degrees around the ballpark and sit in any section. Even in the furthest corners by the foul poles and the bleachers, the views are great. I couldn't really locate a single bad seat there. I really do think it will be a great place to watch a ballgame.

Overall, the place looks pretty nice and from pictures I've seen online, I'd say it's probably quite a bit similar to the AAA park in Colorado Springs. I just can't help but be put off by the aluminum structures in the outfield that make up the clubhouses, kitchen, etc. Everything else is a nice sand colored brick, but those buildings look more low rent in a "tough shed" sort of way. Kinda reminds me of Rod Kush's empire down on 72nd street. I guess costs had to be cut somewhere, but I hope they have a way of trying to make those buildings look less out of place. It's surely lower 3rd in AAA in terms of the ballpark itself, but it is what it is. We all knew the budget constraints going in. Still, it will be a great place to watch a game (light years ahead of Rosenblatt), and that's all that matters to me.

They still have quite a bit of landscaping and sign installation to do before the high school games on april 8th. It's not quite ready to host baseball, but it's getting close.

Also, it seems weird, but kinda cool. My tickets this year aren't physical tickets but almost a credit card with my name, section #, row, and seats. I've never seen anything quite like that before.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  9:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

went to the season ticket holder pickup event on Saturday at Werner Park. It was the first time they allowed people to walk a full 360 degrees around the ballpark and sit in any section. Even in the furthest corners by the foul poles and the bleachers, the views are great. I couldn't really locate a single bad seat there. I really do think it will be a great place to watch a ballgame.

Overall, the place looks pretty nice and from pictures I've seen online, I'd say it's probably quite a bit similar to the AAA park in Colorado Springs. I just can't help but be put off by the aluminum structures in the outfield that make up the clubhouses, kitchen, etc. Everything else is a nice sand colored brick, but those buildings look more low rent in a "tough shed" sort of way. Kinda reminds me of Rod Kush's empire down on 72nd street. I guess costs had to be cut somewhere, but I hope they have a way of trying to make those buildings look less out of place. It's surely lower 3rd in AAA in terms of the ballpark itself, but it is what it is. We all knew the budget constraints going in. Still, it will be a great place to watch a game (light years ahead of Rosenblatt), and that's all that matters to me.

They still have quite a bit of landscaping and sign installation to do before the high school games on april 8th. It's not quite ready to host baseball, but it's getting close.

Also, it seems weird, but kinda cool. My tickets this year aren't physical tickets but almost a credit card with my name, section #, row, and seats. I've never seen anything quite like that before.

I agree that the metal buildings are a bit of a turn off. I hope the Chasers are going to mask it or cover it. Once signs get up maybe it will help.

I was out last week and it is coming together. Going to be nice place to watch a game. Interested to see the place once the tents for picnic areas and kids place go up. Should add a lot of depth. Not a bad little place. In fact, I think it will be much better place to watch a baseball game than TD after visiting both places.

Season tickets without a book? Can you email tickets through the system? if so, that is convenient, practical and Green thinking!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have tickets you can't use, you can print them out if you are selling them to a stranger or a person that you don't trust with your id cards. If you are selling them to a person who is also a ticket holder with an account like yours, you can transfer them to their account.

As long as it works, it seems really cool. The only problem is if you're selling them to someone you don't necessarily know, they will have to accept printed tickets on regular paper and take your word that they are legit.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  2:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Storm Chasers definitely moved into one of the prime spots for growth in the Metro.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110322/NEWS01/703229915#far-west-growth-and-urban-revival

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  4:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Still, Omaha urban planner Steve Jensen believes people are starting a major turn toward urban areas as the suburbs approach an end-point and established neighborhoods gain credibility as viable alternatives to suburbia.

“We're just seeing sort of the very tip of this iceberg,” he said.

Over the last decade, the trends across the Omaha metro "sound like an American metropolis," said John McIlwain, senior fellow for housing at the Washington, D.C.-based Urban Land Institute.

Going forward, strong demographic and housing market trends portend a shift into the city core, McIlwain said. The key lies in the rise of Generation Y — the twentysomethings and college graduates of today who are next in line to influence city development across the country.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  5:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be interesting to see if that plays out. I think part of that is wishful thinking that it will be any sort of major shift, maybe minor growth or fill in. You'll get some Gen. Y. Will be interesting if that's while they are in their 20's or long term. It would be bucking a decades long trend. I was surprised at some of the areas that have lost population. Either way looking at that map, I think you'll see the area around Werner filled in, in less than 10 years. It will be natural based on what's around it right now. Plus the growth of Lincoln going east and Waverly as well benefits this location.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  6:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I never buy that, "generation Y is going to revitalize the city and make their homes there for the rest of their lives." As soon as they start popping out kids, those suburban homes with more room, safer neighborhoods, and better schools always seem to win out.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  08:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they might stem the tide and even boost a declining inner city population to a net growth but no way it stops the march of the suburbs with the metro population growing as a whole. I think the future growth of the suburbs will be better planned and smarter though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  12:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to declare which side is right on this debate, but I do want to make a couple of observations.

1) We're still in the biggest real estate downturn we've seen. I'm not sure I want to read much of anything into census figures that include the last three years.
2) While it sounds good to say that people are "always going to want suburban homes", don't deal in absolutes. $4 gas, the dynamics of the terrain of the metro area, and increasing commute times might eventually mean people stop moving further and further west and south. People used to say housing prices never went down either... oops...

That being said, we have been seeing much more redevelopment in town than we ever have. Midtown Crossing, Downtown condos, Aksarben Village ...all new development well inside the suburbs. There is a shift happening.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  12:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to wait to reserve judgement on whether or not there is a true dynamic change going on here for a few years if not longer. Yes, there is revitalization going on, but Omaha has seen the same types of urban renewal tried and failed in the past.

Look no further than the 16th St. re-do in the 80's. It was a badly flawed design, but ultimately, it didn't spur the mass influx back downtown that people expected. The mall they created down there is now a parking garage.

Even today, the supposed influx into downtown hasn't happened to the level they were expecting as many of the condo developments sit half full, turned to apartnments, or scrapped altogether.

I don't know if midtown crossing or Aksarben will necessarily fail like 16th St. and Park Fair did, but they haven't proven themselves as sustained winners either.

I'm sure there will be some uptick in people wanting to live closer to their jobs because of fuel cost, but I don't know if it's the game changer you are suggesting. IF anything, I see rising fuel costs spurring moves to more fuel efficient cars first and only if fuel goes ridiculously high will people change where they live because of it.

The fact of the matter remains that much of your gains in fuel expenses by living in the city itself are offset by the fact that property costs are always going to be more expensive in the city for something comparable to what you can buy in the burbs.

I live in Papillion because I could get a newer and bigger house with a bigger yard for less money than what I could find in areas that were convenient for my commute. The houses I could actually afford in the city were older, smaller, and invariably needed alot of remodling and maintenance that I wouldn't have to deal with as a first time homeonwer in the burbs.

When you combine those factors with better schools and perceived safer neighborhoods, the suburbs still win out over fuel economy.

I'll ask you one question. If you're not a fan of suburban cookie cutter neighborhoods why are you west-o-mike and not Dundee Mike or Benson Mike? I don't know your situation, but it makes me curious.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  1:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I'll ask you one question. If you're not a fan of suburban cookie cutter neighborhoods why are you west-o-mike and not Dundee Mike or Benson Mike? I don't know your situation, but it makes me curious.

I've never said that I'm against suburbs. I've lived on the west side of town all my life. Even used to live west of 168th Street at one time, with a soybean field up the street.

That being said, the one thing I hated was the commute time...and that's a problem that continues to grow. A few years back, we chose not to build a new house out even further out west, and the commute was part of the reason why.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  2:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we will see pockets. I hope Mid Town Crossing and Ak Sar Ben will spur redevelopment around them and other similar developments in other parts of Omaha them. That being said I don't see growth not taking place in the suburbs. I don't see the population in Benson outpacing the growth in Greta now or in the next 5-10 years. Obviously we're in a downturn and it's not like it was five years ago. I live in area one on the OWH map (I'm in Stone Park next to Saddlebrook) and can tell you they're still building out here. 370 will do the same. I agree that gas prices will have an impact. I think you'll see more new urbanism developments rising up. I think transportation with gas prices and all will have an even larger impact that the past and with 370 and I 80 out there, that area will be #1 in development of the 'burbs for the next 10 years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  1:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see where the Storm Chaser's have some high school baseball going on at the Park and have now started booking concerts. Nice to see them continuing to fill dates out there. Pretty cool to see the high teams getting to play in a facility like this during the season.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they have concerts booked? I hadn't heard. Who?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Disney artist, can't remember the name, my kids aren't old enough yet for me to worry about. :) Will be interesting once they get more booked. It's a nice size venue for concerts.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  4:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papillion is playing Papillion South next weekend (I think) to open the park.

I'm starting to think this crazy thing might actually happen.

In case I haven't said so lately...nice going Roger.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  7:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
parking will be $2 per car.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110318/HIGHSCHOOLS/110319587

....snicker...snicker...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  07:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're only about 6 months too late on your snickering. Uhhh, they announced it as $5 for VIP spots, $2 for most other spots, with 200 free spots a long, long time ago.

I'll pay $2 for parking over, oh, $8 any day of the week. I can park at 4 storm chasers games for the cost of parking at one Qwest/TD Ameritrade event.

...snicker...snicker...
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  07:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was $6. So you can still park at 3 games but I don't care for embellishment. If it is $8, my bad. I park for free at Rick's so what do I care. I could park at every UNO EVER for less than what I'd pay at 1 Chasers game.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snicker snicker? WTF? Why wouldn't they allow high school games to be played there? Especially a team that is..oh I don't know..1/2 a mile away?

Face it Mike: Your whole theory has completely fallen apart. Everything you said would happen didn't..or at least hasn't yet. Just admit it so we can all move on.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  08:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

I thought it was $6. So you can still park at 3 games but I don't care for embellishment. If it is $8, my bad. I park for free at Rick's so what do I care. I could park at every UNO EVER for less than what I'd pay at 1 Chasers game.

Did this not happen? I haven't parked in a MECA lot in years. I parked in another city lot the one time I paid to park down there this year. They are now $7. However, I do believe the MECA lots are now $8.

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/96049474.html

So, I stand by my 4 chasers game for one time parking in a meca lot.

Oh, and the Storm Chasers to have free spots...
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  08:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is still going to be free parking as far as I know at the Chasers games. I believe it was announced as a tiered parking system.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000