Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  3:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take 'Complete and total clustlerf*cks that everybody saw coming' for $500 Alex.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, indy league baseball has some fly by night teams in fly by night leagues? shocking.
Go to Top of Page

lynchicemav
Old Sage With Infrequent Posts

193 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  6:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are now on page 61 of a baseball thread, eclipsing the previous thread record of 60. Hopefully it can end peacefully soon before some posters get into the HGH's and run this up to over 70 pages that will forever have asteriks attached (unless Jon uses all of them first)!
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  7:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not going to post to this again, but I have to tell AJ that he should go for a true daily double on that one.

Anyone who didn't see this coming wasn't really watching.

I wonder how much cash the taxpayers will have to pay in legal fees to settle this suit.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  10:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, how sad is this...and for MECA to even say that they want an indy team there. Bush league.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  3:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no fan of MECA but if they are going to get a indy team, they need to be in the same leauge as KC and Lincoln. I still think this team fails faster than the UFL though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  09:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a little back research and the last reported offer from MECA to ORoyals (at the time) was for a rent amount of $850k per year. Just a little more than the $133k that Omaha Flame is claiming that MECA agreed to a rent amount with them...doesn't add up on either end.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  10:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that doesn't add up at all.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  12:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't add up...but remember, the Flame would use a smaller number of days since their season starts about 6-7 weeks later. So they SHOULD pay less than the Royals would.

Not that much though.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  1:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe part of the idea is that in addition to the smaller amount of dates, they anticipated fewer fans there as well meaning less staffing requirements in terms of ticket takers, ushers, vendors, etc. It's a stretch, but that's all I can come up with. If they anticipated the royals drawing 5k and the Flame to draw half that, they'd need less staff all around.

Doesn't make much sense, but it's either that or MECA got desperate after they lost their poker game with the Royals.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  9:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or... MECA knew that Sarpy County was planning to give the Royals everything they wanted, so they just made a token offer rather than waste a bunch of time crunching numbers, knowing that the Royals were going to turn it down.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  11:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could have been, but based on the timeline, this happened before the negotiations with Brashear even started.

Who knows really, but indy baseball isn't really working now, but I guess it looks like someone wants to throw some money away to just be a pro sports owner.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I don't blame MECA in this one. WIth the instability of those indy leagues, I think they should hold out for a team in the American Association (that has the KC and Lincoln and other more regional teams). Even that one is not rock solid, I know KC and Lincoln have sometimes been in the same league and sometimes not. I think MECA is trying to get a team in here with the best chance to succeed (and that's even a long shot). Once the first team fails it will be next to impossible to get a 2nd one, and even harder to get the fans attention the second time.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  09:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just hate the notion of these Indy ball teams coming here because a. the competition is bad and b. when it inevitably fails it's just another notch against Omaha in its long line of failed pro and semi-pro sports franchises.

It's never good when we get these teams like the Racers, Knights, etc and they fail quickly. Whether it's really our fault as fans, shoddy ownership, or a fly by night league, it's still the Omaha metro area that looks bad when these teams fold. It's unfortunate.

The AHL is a great brand of hockey and I firmly believe that we don't know what we're missing and most people never even got the chance to find out what it was all about because it was about the most poorly and arrogantly executed start up you could possibly imagine on all levels.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the AHL. The first GM did a really bad job in this market. When they brought in Ren Smith he was making progress. Just sucked that the group in the Quad Cities came in with an offer. I think the Knights had turned the corner. I think MECA learned from that and is really being cautious now. Again, I think with either league they will eventually fail.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

Could have been, but based on the timeline, this happened before the negotiations with Brashear even started.

Sarpy County and the Royals were talking LONG before Kermit came on the scene.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did Sarpy and the Royals start talking?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's only good business to hedge your bets. No way should the Royals have just taken whatever they were offered downtown. If Sarpy wanted to play ball, so to speak, the Royals owed it to themselves as a business to listen.

If MECA offered them an $850k lease and then later offered a beer league team a $150k lease, that's on them pure and simple. MECA didn't come to the table to deal in an up front and fair manner if that's true. Any attempt to turn it onto the Royals is just sour grapes and pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.

None of this is official though, so i'm still taking it all with a BIG grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  4:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

When did Sarpy and the Royals start talking?

April of 2008 was first formal meeting. Negotiations with Brashear started in November of 2008.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negotiations with City / MECA ended by August 2008 fyi.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  4:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just thankful that Sarpy stepped up. I'm glad we have AAA baseball for at least 25 years or more, and we have a good ownership group. Now that things are finally turning in KC and they have a ballpark that is designed for minor league baseball, it will be better than ever.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm just thankful that Sarpy stepped up. I'm glad we have AAA baseball for at least 25 years or more, and we have a good ownership group. Now that things are finally turning in KC and they have a ballpark that is designed for minor league baseball, it will be better than ever.

Greg

And since you live in Douglas County, you're off the hook for paying for it...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

Greg

And since you live in Douglas County, you're off the hook for paying for it...

Don't worry, you guys have enough to keep yourselves busy with paying off the Qwest Center and TD Ameritrade park.

I'm sure you're about to say, "don't worry, the CWS profits will ensure my taxes won't go up because of TD Ameritrade Park!"

Yeah, didn't they say your taxes wouldn't go up because of the Qwest Center too. hmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I'd trade the payments on Qwest for the payments on Werner Field any day. Hopefully Fahey's math on TD Ameritrade is better than Hal's was on Qwest.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  12:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah I'd trade the payments on Qwest for the payments on Werner Field any day. Hopefully Fahey's math on TD Ameritrade is better than Hal's was on Qwest.

Greg

Oh really? You'd rather have Werner Park than the Qwest Center?

In any event, IIRC, property tax money was always part of the payment plan for the Qwest Center. Even Hal admitted that property taxes would have to go up to pay for the Qwest Center, and he's been out of office for nearly 10 years now.

Whether Fahey's math is going to work on TD Ameritrade Park remains to be seen, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's not the case. (Other than grumblings from people who don't offer up anything specific, except to bash Fahey...)

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fyi, he said he'd rather trade paying for the QCO vs. Werner Park. He didn't say anything about giving up QCO. You can have both, but live in Sarpy and not be on the hook for the arena/convention center/ballpark. Maybe some of my tax dollars will go towards paying off Werner Park. That's fine with me. My community has been underserved in terms of entertainment options for decades and Sarpy is the fastest growing county in all of Nebraska. My piece of that $30 million pie isn't going to be all that much soon enough. If I lived in Omaha, I'd trade paying down the debt on Werner Park over QCO and TD Ameritrade any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

Besides, I'm going to use Werner Park much more than I ever do QCO anyways. Werner is 5 minutes from my front door and minor league baseball is much more affordable than anything at the Qwest no matter how you slice it. I have no problem ponying up for that entertainment value if that's what it comes down to.

also, any claim that the debt paydown on QCO is somehow going exactly as Daub planned, is pretty much false...

Former Mayor Hal Daub who helped push for the convention center says the plan could have worked without property taxes and it was the decision by Mayor Mike Fahey to refinance the Qwest debt -- along with other financial decisions in 2004 -- that ballooned the problem.

Former Mayor Fahey staffers tell Channel 6 News that none of the financial projections made by their predecessor worked out. From sales tax to parking to property tax receipts, in their words, were overly optimistic and that refinancing saved taxpayers $42-million dollars.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/51535927.html

There're your specifics. That was a 1 minute google search, btw. What specifics do you have about "bfe" outside of your own anecdotal complaints about how far it is from everything? Rest assured, the tale will be told regarding the financial viability and ultimate taxpayer burden soon enough on both ballpark projects.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  2:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the Qwest Center was being proposed we were told that a property tax increasse would not be needed to pay for it. They only got into play when the original funding mechanisms fell short.

He's right, I just would rather have the debt of Werner Park instead of the debt of Qwest Center Omaha hanging over us.

This early in the process on Qwest we were still being led to believe that everything was going to be fine, we'll know on TD Ameritrade after it's been up and running for a couple years. When these items are proposed we are always presented with the best case scenario.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This early in the process on Qwest we were still being led to believe that everything was going to be fine

From an operational standpoint, it is. I've got no issue with the city paying off the building debt so long as the operations and upkeep pay for themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  10:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Operationally it's fine. Unfortunately the city is sinking a lot more into it than we were led to believe. We absolutely can't afford to be that far off with TD.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  06:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Also, an update from TD Ameritrade Park. The infield is now green with fresh sod.

BTW, they have holes in the field getting the subgrade ready as they laid sod just to get it in. There will be issues with the settling of the playing field. The designer told them they needed to wait until 2011 to put it in, but the refused and said do it anyway. So since a normal sod would not have rooted for 2011 play, the way around it was to use a sod that has a 1.5" dirt base instead of a .5" dirt base. It cost $60,000 more to do this.

Creighton has also been told to look for potential alternative sites for April games.

Just an FYI for those interested.

Creighton is now running television commercials announcing the first game at TD Ameritrade Park will be on April 19th.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000