Page: of 107

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  12:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

The independent league team has to know the parameters of where they fit in the local pecking order

Hate to be partaking in this discussion since it was such a nice vacation from it for a couple weeks but I agree here.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  11:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace Mav

quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I think MECA has done a fine job on the booking front. The types you mentioned unfortunately are what is currently filling the arenas of this size. I don't see where what they are booking is different than Wells Fargo or the Spring Center.

For the Independent Baseball team that will be there in 2012, on top of the CWS knocking you out of town for several weeks in June, you just lost a week in July as well. They are going to make the Knights look wildly successful. Not that they are cutting edge but they did also mention U2 yesterday.

I do think this could possibly be a very cool thing though. I love the Maha festival.

Greg

Trying to bring in even an independent league team, and then tell them that they have to hit the road for 10 days in June for the CWS, 4 Saturdays for football, and now 6 additional days in July for the music festival, just doesn't make sense. Why would MECA think that they could force a team to give up 20 dates, when they couldn't get the Royals/Stormchasers to give up 10 dates. The indy league team is going to get tired of being 2nd or 3rd fiddle and move to Sarpy County. Or maybe Pottawattamie County will build a new stadium

Also remember it's not just 10 days in June. I believe the Royals/Storm Chasers had to clear out of the 'blatt for 15-17 days on average because of the CWS format change, opening ceremonies, etc. Not a good home schedule for an Indy team that plays a shorter schedule, May-August...

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  2:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The royals lease stated a minimum of 4 days prior to cws opening ceremonies and then 24 hours after conclusion of cws. The 24 hours thing was a joke as it takes a lot more time than that to put a ballpark back together than that. Also, they had to wait until a day after the rain date of the cws to have a scheduled game. June 14-July 1 was the off time this year - 18 off days.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More growth on 370 West of Werner Field.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101220/NEWS01/712209913#growth-may-follow-road-to-gretna
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The annual caravan is coming to town:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110112/SPORTS/110119868#royals-caravan-to-visit-jan-20-omaha-s-jirschele-honored
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  2:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, the storm chasers are having an open house at werner park on Saturday, January 22nd.

a photo update is up on their website as well. looks like it's coming along nicely.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com//gen/clubs/t541/photogallery/standard/year_2011/month_01/day_10/cf16412890.html
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  3:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was kind of bummed they are doing it the same day as Fan Fest in KC. We go every year and my boys love it. You would not believe all of the free stuff my kids get at it. I highly recommend it. Tons of stuff for adults too. Lots of round table discussions you get to listen to. I'm not an autograph guy but it's great for that as well:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/fan_forum/fanfest.jsp
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  11:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you build a ballpark in BFE? Because some urban planners can see past their front yard.

http://omaha.stormchasers.milb.com/documents/2011/01/18/16452314/1/PennantPlacePressRelease1.17.11.pdf
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Why would you build a ballpark in BFE? Because some urban planners can see past their front yard.

http://omaha.stormchasers.milb.com/documents/2011/01/18/16452314/1/PennantPlacePressRelease1.17.11.pdf

Oh wow... another hanging curve ball... This one is landing halfway to Cabelas...

I'll pull a few quotes from the World-Herald on this one...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110118/NEWS01/701189946

quote:
It's probably unrealistic to expect significant construction this year on the Sarpy property, he [developer Roger Langpaul] said. He said he's in negotiations with an apartment developer in Kansas City and hopes to unveil other announcements in the coming weeks.

quote:
A 4,500-seat indoor ice arena won't materialize, however, he acknowledged Monday.

quote:
Trenton Magid, principal at World Group Commercial Real Estate, said it will be interesting to see whether Langpaul attracts commercial development to the mostly farm corridor midway between Papillion and Gretna.

"A lot of people still believe it will be another five to seven years before any commercial and housing will get out there," Magid said.

He said he's skeptical about whether national hotel chains would build near Werner Park until such growth occurs.

quote:
"When it comes to restaurants and retail," Magid said, "commercial users ask 'Where are the daytime customers and where are the night customers?' Right now, that location near Highway 370 and 126th (Street) needs both."

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swing and miss.

1) Did I say it was happening tomorrow? That's why it's called DEVELOPment.

2) Don't care about an ice rink. No need for one and unless privately funded..would never pass. No shot. Not even worth talking about.

3) A national hotel chain has already built out there...unless you've never heard of Embassy Suites.

4) Daytime customers are working in Omaha..paying a 50 dollar wheel tax without having a single representative to defy it. Again, 5-7 years is completely unrealistic. This is a 10-15-20 year plan to be fully in place. Then again, you'll probably find some other part of town to complain about by then.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  12:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm interested in seeing if "pennant place" ends up taking shape anytime in the next few years or if it ends up like some of the developments around certain ballparks that are supposed to revitalize areas. the cardinals promised a "ballpark village" when Busch III was built. Phase 1 was supposed to be completed in 2009. Phase 2 in 2012. Here we are in 2011 and the most they've done is plant grass and build a softball field.

I guess the difference is that area is developing naturally anyway unlike downtown STL. It is a high growth area not a revitalization project. I think this will accelerate growth to an extent, but maybe not to the level the developers hope. I don't believe it will be bare for the next 5-7 years like Trenton Magid thinks, but we'll see. There is already housing on the opposite side of 114th, so no way it takes 5-7 years. the ballpark project runs from 114th-126th for those not familiar with it. If it is bare for the next 7 years, the county starts losing a ton of money on it, and taxes go up significantly, somebody on the Sarpy board has some splainin to do.

It was obvious to anyone following this, btw, that the 4500 ice plex was dead the second the lancers signed on with ralston. it's no secret that was always for them.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  12:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Daytime customers are working in Omaha..paying a 50 dollar wheel tax without having a single representative to defy it. Again, 5-7 years is completely unrealistic. This is a 10-15-20 year plan to be fully in place. Then again, you'll probably find some other part of town to complain about by then.

Ummm...Sarpy County needs that development NOW to pay the mortgage, remember? Not 5-7-10-15-20 years.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  1:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read this article different. The developer has a changing agenda here from what I read into this, which one would expect, as his position has changed.

1st - he wanted his land chosen for the ballpark, obviously. So he probably offered as rosey of a picture as possible until his land was chosen. I will develop this, sell this land for this type of project, etc. I foresee housing, skating rinks, the next disneyland, whatever people wanted to hear.

2nd - The deal is done, time to maximize his money. So he could sell the land now and get some development going, or he could wait 5-10 years until the natural expansion of the city/cities fills that area with houses, and the land is many times more to him b/c developers see all the residents that will shop/eat/spend since they live right next door.

If I owned that land, I would do exactly the same, look at what could be made now, the cost of waiting, and the benefit of waiting. When you look at this, waiting is probably the most lucrative decision, so he will probably wait.

When he says "he is skeptical about whether national hotel chains would build before the growth occurs", I read "I want to wait and sell after the growth occurs and the price increases".

Not blaming him, and its not Sarpy Counties fault, not the Storm Troopers fault, its just business.

Thats how I read the thing.
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  1:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick run to past articles I found this, from 6/10/2009 (for reference, 6/1 the site was selected, 6/17 was the city council vote).

quote:
Langpaul hopes to attract an ice rink, a fitness center, an indoor water park and hotel, restaurants and a shopping center. Later he envisions professional offices and homes.

Langpaul has told Sarpy County officials that he has a letter of understanding from another developer who wants to build the ice arena with 4,500 seats and two sheets of indoor ice.

Last week, Langpaul said it may be a few weeks before he can finalize the contracts and announce details about the ice arena.

We estimate that it will take five to seven years to complete the development of this site

Another one

quote:
He plans to develop the rest into new homes, offices, hotels, stores, restaurants, even an indoor water park and fitness center. A commitment for an ice arena has already been made. "It should all come together rather quickly and I would believe that the energy of just those two items alone will bring the excitement and enthusiasm to that site,"
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  2:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they've always thought in the 5-7 year time frame.

We were going to go to FanFest in KC this weekend but now will probably not make it. If that's the case we are going to hit the open house on Saturday.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omaha will be playing NW Arkansas at Kauffman after a KC Royals game on April 2nd:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/19/2596118/royals-set-future-stars-game-for.html
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an outstanding idea.

Those two teams should stick around and play the Angels.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  12:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wonder what kind of crowd they get for that, or i should say, who sticks around after the royals game for that or if anyone buys tickets just for it. The Cubs have had a decidedly mixed bag with their "road to wrigley" game. They drew 32,103 in 2008 for a game between kane county and peoria, 16k in 2009, and 9k in 2010. Doesn't seem to be the type of event that has much shelf life and suffers quickly from diminishing returns.

I have no idea what the royals will do at the gate for this even in year one. Fans in KC barely care about the home team. So, I can't imagine Omaha and NW Ark having much resonance with them. Stuff like this works best in baseball crazed cities. If memphis and Springfield play in St. Louis, that could draw, but I don't see this being a big hit. I bet most people in KC can't name the Royals AA and AAA affiliates, let alone want to attend a game involving them.

Seems to me like MLB has this concept backwards. They are sending the minor league affiliates to play in the MLB ballpark. Outside of being fun for the players, it's not a big deal. They need to go back to what they were doing in years past and send the major league teams to the minor league parks. that resonates with the fans in those cities. have always heard the CBA ended alot of the mlb appearances at minor league parks,but it should come back.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  2:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right nouse, the CBA did end a lot of the exhibitions. The game in KC is a KC Royals production based on the excitement that the KC area has for both the Triple-A and Double-A franchises, but more importantly because KC now has the #1 farm system in MLB. This is a game to showcase what is coming in mid to late 2011 and 2012-13.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  3:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's going to be immediately following a KC afternoon game, so the crowd won't be there just for this game.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  1:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12:10pm LA Angels vs. KC Royals. 30 minutes after MLB game NW Ark vs. Omaha.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the ballpark is looking good. I thought we'd be able to see more of it, but there is still a ton of construction going on. The fan turnout has been great. I'd love to hear how many season tickets or half season plans they sold today.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
final numbers were around 5,000 at the ballpark yesterday, on a 20 degree Saturday. impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, looked good. Lot bigger turnout that anticipated. Hopefully when we get closer to the season they do one where you can see the clubhouses, batting cages and such.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  10:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah. I didn't realize they'd have so little open. I wanted to be able to see my seats. oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  09:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were able to go down in the seat areas when I was there around 1:30.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  10:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my seats are beyond the dugout down the left field line. couldn't go that far out there when I was there.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snow held back the plan for nearly all the seating bowl being open. Construction hampered going in the concessions, clubhouses, press box, etc. Chasers told me Saturday that they plan on having at least one more of these if timing works out with the builder. I was shocked to see that many people out there. Not sure how many ticket plans were sold.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be great if they did a more extensive one. As long as it's not the same weekend the Chaser's play in KC. We're planning on going to that game.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  3:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like minor league baseball is nowhere near ready to happen at TD Ameritrade Park...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110204/NEWS01/702059929/1005#baseball-group-sues-meca
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000