Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  01:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bridget's link didn't work, so I'll post the actual link to the Creighton University site here:

http://www2.creighton.edu/fileadmin/user/COBA/EconomicOutlook/docs/CWS_final2003.pdf

I encourage everyone to take a look at the PDF.

There are some interesting statistics.

1. Non-Nebraska CWS Season ticket Holders account for 17.5% of season tickets sold (slightly less than 1 out of 5). Of those, "out-of-towners," the highest percent are from Kansas (28.5%).

In 2003, there were 13,901 season tickets sold.

17.5% of that number is 2432.

That means that there are slightly less than 2500 season ticketholders outside of the state -- 693 of those live in the state of Kansas.

Why do I bring that up?

I bring that up because unlike the Frozen Four or basketball's Final Four, the CWS doesn't have a large "national" season ticket base.

According to the data presented, half of the 260,000 or so that attended were from out of state. I'd be fascinated to know where those folks are coming from. I wonder how many are from Council Bluffs and nearby communities.

(Because statistically, when you are doing academic research, anything outside of state lines is considered "out of state" for accuracy purposes, even though we'd consider the Bluffs part of the metro area...same with communities like Glenwood)

Remember this...260,000 might attend the CWS, but that number DOES NOT represent "unique" individuals. Rather, it represents the entire attendance at the event for all sessions.

Obviously, that shouldn't negate the impact of the event. There is no question that it has an impact on our community.

But be mindful that the economic impact is still based on "assumptions" as indicated in Appendix F on page 59.

That's important because we don't know if Goss' average meal costs per day (for example) were truly $35.64 per adult. We also don't know if average retail sales per day were truly $23.75 per person.

I dunno if any of you have filled out "economic impact" surveys before at events. We have done that multiple times and you are depending on getting an accurate sampling. Oftentimes, they'll "lure" people to fill out a survey with the chance to win a prize of some sort for participating.

For example, we filled out a survey of this type when we went to Kearney for the CHA Hockey Tournament in 2002 and were entered to win a chance at a game-worn hockey jersey.

Regardless, it can sometimes be difficult for researchers to truly obtain representative sampling from this sort of gathering mechanism. It can be difficult to get respondents to accurately report (but it is the best that we have to work with).

BTW...CWS Inc. gets 25% of the gate revenue from the event. So my notion that we should consider raising ticket prices with add-ons like seat fees is not entirely unfounded.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Fahey realizes that he's losing the PR battle, so he's trying a committee to help hammer out the details:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10154531

quote:
The proposed downtown ballpark will get a fresh look from a committee of prominent Omahans in an effort by Mayor Mike Fahey to head off further controversy.

Ken Stinson, chairman of Peter Kiewit Sons' Inc., was named to head the committee "to take a fresh and unbiased view of all alternatives," Fahey said.

Fahey said he is searching for a consensus on an issue that has become one of the most contentious of his more than six years in office.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently some restaurant owners are lining up against the sales tax proposal:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10153639

quote:
Mike Simmonds, CEO and chairman of Simmonds Restaurant Management, is spearheading a "Strike Two" campaign and hopes to form a coalition of restaurant owners who don't want the tax.

Simmonds owns about 30 Burger King, Taco John's and Jimmy John's restaurants in the metro area.

"I'm not opposed to a new stadium, I just don't like the way they want to pay for it," he said. "Why do they want to tax a narrow segment of the business community to pay for a new stadium?"

Strike Two will encourage residents to push elected officials for a vote on the stadium issue, Simmonds said.

quote:
Simmonds said the main goal of Strike Two is to get the public involved in the ballpark debate. To do that, the group is considering adding more signs and possibly launching an ad campaign, though the details had not been worked out yet.

Simmonds said taxing diners 9 percent on meals would hurt Omaha's reputation with visitors and would put the ballpark burden squarely on the shoulders of those who eat out. A small general sales tax increase would be a fairer way to generate the money, he said.

Omaha would have to get the permission of state legislators to increase the sales tax, but the Mayor's Office has said the city can enact the entertainment tax without state approval.

"(Fahey) took the easy way out at the expense of my customers," Simmonds said.

Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  4:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Well, Fahey realizes that he's losing the PR battle, so he's trying a committee to help hammer out the details:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10154531

quote:
The proposed downtown ballpark will get a fresh look from a committee of prominent Omahans in an effort by Mayor Mike Fahey to head off further controversy.

Ken Stinson, chairman of Peter Kiewit Sons' Inc., was named to head the committee "to take a fresh and unbiased view of all alternatives," Fahey said.

Fahey said he is searching for a consensus on an issue that has become one of the most contentious of his more than six years in office.

And further down in the article you get to see who the rest of the "fresh and un-biased" group members are.

CU athletic director - un-biased? CU likely will end up playing there.

Sokol (MECA chairman) - Uh, MECA already said they don't want lot D used?????

O Royals president - Again, how is this unbiased

CWS of Omaha Inc - Not sure where is bias is, but most likely has one

Mike McCarthy & Sue Morris, fundraisers - sweet, two potentially un-biased people besides the chairman.

This is about as biased as you can get. MECA, CU, CWS Inc, and the O Royals president will be looking out for their interests first. While their interests may not all be the same, they are certainly agenda driven and not in the best interest of the public as a whole.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  4:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody know if Lawlors would like to print up my order of 10,000 "AJ was right" t-shirts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  4:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "committee" is just there to give Fahey some political cover for this disaster.

They will "study the question" and then after "a great deal of hard work and thoughtful discussion" recommend to the city that they build the park and that we (the taxpayers) will get to pay for it.

As for the restaurants, did you note in the story that one of the local places actually reported that his business went down during the CWS? Interesting.

This entertainment tax makes as much sense as taxing all sporting events to pay for a new restaurant district.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  4:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

As for the restaurants, did you note in the story that one of the local places actually reported that his business went down during the CWS? Interesting.

I did not see that...
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree about the "committee" being political cover.

But if it does go through with what Fahey says it will, these public hearings will turn into a disaster for him. And it will be hard for him to say that the new ballpark downtown - funded by the taxpayers - is what this city wants.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  8:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think people want to keep the CWS and would really enjoy a new stadium.

I just think selling the concept to the public has been handled in a poor manner.
Go to Top of Page

action_in_numbers
New Recruit

6 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  8:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're already one of the highest taxed states in the nation...

Why are we looking at taxing everyone instead of those who will actually use the stadium? I personally have never been there, and don't know a lot of people who have. If it brings in that much revenue for us, it should pay for itself...right? Otherwise I could care less if we lose the CWS. And how does this GUARANTEE we won't lose the CWS anyway?

On a side note, Isn't this use of our tax dollars slightly...unconstitutional? Then again, so are welfare programs, education programs, and 90% of other government expenditures. *Sigh*
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  9:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should put a tax on people who post the same thing 6 times and aren't even educated about the topic.

quote:
If it brings in that much revenue for us, it should pay for itself...right?

Much of the revenue comes from hotels and restaurants that cater to the fans that come to Omaha. Gee...isn't that kind of what the entertainment tax is trying to do?

quote:
And how does this GUARANTEE we won't lose the CWS anyway?

I guess you didn't read the part about the 20 year contract that Fahey is demanding either.

Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for the record, I emailed the Mayor's office. I stated I was in favor of the new stadium, not a rich guy, and wondered where I send a $50 check for the building fund. I got a nice email back the next day and my check will be in the mail next week. I hope my $50 is just a tiny part of the out of state monies that will help build this stadium, keep the CWS in Omaha, and make everybody here reference the out of state dollars being spent for this project.

God help me, I love Omaha, but it is a pimple on the ass of a fly to the rest of the country. Keeping the CWS in Omaha and enhancing it's image as the CWS grows is going to be worth more than any tax on your beer and bloomin onions.

Get 'er done!

Mark in Indianapolis, Indiana
Go to Top of Page

Chuck Norris
Freshman Mav

60 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  11:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that Fahey is having trouble convincing MECA to let him build a stadium in a parking lot that the city owns?

Are you sure this is the guy you want negotiating your 20 year deal?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  08:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mavdude

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that Fahey is having trouble convincing MECA to let him build a stadium in a parking lot that the city owns?

Are you sure this is the guy you want negotiating your 20 year deal?

Darth and his BrownCoats are opposed to just about anything and everything they didn't come up with. If anything, I'd argue that MECA's complaints are a sure sign that this is the right plan.

Also, don't kid yourself about the Daub factor. Hal is on the MECA board and he has to be seething inside that Fahey might get this plan done.

Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daub said on KFAB this morning that MECA told the mayor "where to put it" when it came to a new ballpark.

*GRINS*

Actually, there were more than two dozen people who attended this morning's MECA meeting. Daub said the MECA board has a stewardship agreement to keep the Qwest Center viable. Using Parking Lot D - the quickest way to get people in and out of the arena - he said, would severely limit the ability for the center to grow and negatively impact the public at events.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is the lot that's farthest away from the arena the quickest way in and out?

---
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  11:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy...

Now that Daub has pulled his name out of consideration for the U.S. Senate race next year, you have to figure he has his sites set on running for his old job in 2009.

At this point, I think the city ought to simply re-build on the current Rosenblatt property, spend the extra $23 million to purchase the surrounding neighborhood to make a "clean zone," and avoid any of these hassles. At this rate, what's another $23 million...

Then they ought to install a light rail system (which I am in favor of spending money on) from downtown to Rosenblatt and the Henry Doorly Zoo.

If they just rebuild on the same site, they'll avoid a fight with people in South Omaha and MECA. Downtown business owners will still be fine with that plan because it'll keep things as they are and they'll still make a mint from lodgers who come in for the series each year.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  11:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still laughing over Daub's statement from 1998 when he said the new arena would afford people the opportunity to get in and out of the parking lot after a sold-out event "in 10 minutes or less."
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

If they just rebuild on the same site, they'll avoid a fight with people in South Omaha and MECA. Downtown business owners will still be fine with that plan because it'll keep things as they are and they'll still make a mint from lodgers who come in for the series each year.

The NCAA has said they want hotels within walking distance of the College World Series.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
Originally posted by admin

The NCAA has said they want hotels within walking distance of the College World Series.

The Comfort Inn is within walking distance.

Honestly, can beggars be choosers in this instance?

MECA told Fahey "no" in this particular instance -- Lot D is out.

That'll likely mean that the city will have to build closer to the blighted areas around the Open Door Mission. That, in turn, will essentially create another "clean zone" problem where the city will have spend millions buying up and cleaning up property.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  1:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here comes David Sokol once again....

quote:
Sokol opened the MECA meeting by recounting the $26 million proposal, with him as the chief private fundraiser. That plan would have included buying up most of the land west of 13th Street to create a parklike fan festival area.

"The NCAA reaction was positive and constructive," Sokol said. Based on that response, Sokol said, the private money was raised.

"At some point in the spring of 2007, the Mayor's Office determined to walk away from this 10-year proposal and decided to pursue a new downtown baseball facility," Sokol said.

quote:
NCAA officials couldn't immediately be reached for comment, but Fahey said that isn't what happened.

Fahey said CWS Inc. and city officials met with the NCAA on Feb. 23 with the 10-year plan in hand. In a March 12 response, NCAA officials asked in a memo for the city to consider "a new state-of-the-art facility at a location near downtown Omaha."

In May, the city responded with a preliminary plan for a downtown stadium. Then, according to Fahey, the NCAA specified in a June 24 memo that the organization was looking for opportunities where the city and NCAA could share revenues. Those could include skybox suites, concessions, naming rights and parking.

None of those were available at Rosenblatt, Fahey said. The NCAA also noted in that memo, Fahey said, that the earlier renovation plan did not address several issues at Rosenblatt, including the stadium's narrow concourses and the lack of nearby restaurants and hotels.

The memo also said: "Initial feedback from industry contacts indicates that it is always better and more cost-effective to build a new facility rather than attempt to renovate an aging venue."

The NCAA may never have given the city a definitive "no" on the $26 million plan, Fahey said. "But they led us in another direction," the mayor said.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10155408

This sounds like it's going to get interesting to watch. I think we all know what David Sokol can do when he thinks that he's being misled...

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  1:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be fascinating to watch what happens...

$26 million for a 10-year deal (initial proposal)

or

$120 million for a 20-year deal (latest proposal)

According to the mayor, the NCAA raised the bar. However, that doesn't answer the question whether or not the NCAA would have been amenable to a 10-year extension with the $26 million in "improvements."

That is partly the crux of this debate.

If (and I know it is a big if) we could have obtained a 10-year contract for $26 million in public/private funding, that might've served the taxpayers of this city better and would've given the city time to develop a long-term plan to build a new facility downtown, or rebuild in the existing location and redevelop the area within a 1-mile radius of Rosenblatt to be a new South Omaha "entertainment district."

Personally, I don't think they should build in Lot D. I think they should look for an alternate location that is still within walking distance of the lots at the QCO.

I preferred the original location immediately west of the Saddle Creek Records development.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  1:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike is exactly correct. If MECA is against it..it's probably the right thing to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  2:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaseyMav

Why is the lot that's farthest away from the arena the quickest way in and out?

Its the best parking for events at the convention center and it is the location for all the valet parking for big fundraisers. Lot D is not so hot for hockey, but great for the car show or for a banquet.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fahey on 1620 The Zone:

"I didn't say that..."
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  4:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kugler and Severe brought up something I hadn't thought of...

Lot D is used for events like Septemberfest and River City Roundup and the lot was built extra deep to accomodate the rides and whatnot that those events use.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you're willing to risk the CWS so 15 kids can have their tilt-a-whirl at River City Roundup?

Omaha is going to f**k this up.

Mark my words.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  5:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

So you're willing to risk the CWS so 15 kids can have their tilt-a-whirl at River City Roundup?

Does anyone know what the economic impact is from River City Roundup?

A lot of farmers (and pigs and cows) come to Omaha for that event. They have a nationally televised rodeo from the event (that probably gets more viewers than the CWS ).
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  5:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They had RCR in the parking lot of a 100 year old barn. I'm guessing they can find it somewhere else. Not a huge deal to me..just saying.

Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  5:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 2005, the Pace Picante ProRodeo Challenge on OLN did a 0.7 rating. Compare that against a 1.1 rating on ESPN (average) and 0.8 on ESPN2 for the College World Series in 2004. (I don't have the 2005 numbers.)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000