Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Ace Mav
New Recruit

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that I am on the outside looking in, but when I was in town a month ago, I drove from Council Bluffs to the SAC Museum in Ashland on I-80, then drove back down 370 to 75 so that I could see the process of the new stadium. I also drove from Council Bluffs to Papillion one night for dinner. I've lived in Millard and driven downtown to the civic and to Rosenblatt and didn't mind the drive. When I come up to Council Bluffs, I would probably get out to a game at the new ballpark, just like I went to one of the hockey games over the Mankato weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace Mav

I know that I am on the outside looking in, but when I was in town a month ago, I drove from Council Bluffs to the SAC Museum in Ashland on I-80, then drove back down 370 to 75 so that I could see the process of the new stadium. I also drove from Council Bluffs to Papillion one night for dinner. I've lived in Millard and driven downtown to the civic and to Rosenblatt and didn't mind the drive. When I come up to Council Bluffs, I would probably get out to a game at the new ballpark, just like I went to one of the hockey games over the Mankato weekend.

Welcome!

The presumed reason to build the stadium where they did was to have easier access to west O residential areas. I agree, from Millard, the Rosenblatt is not a hard drive. The point I was making is that 20 miles (or any distance) is relatively more or less onerous based on why you are going and what areas you are driving through.

To go 20 miles west from Millard to Mahoney seems like a short hop,but go the other direction, and it seems further.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  12:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals are moving out this week.

Can you imagine your restaurant options for lunch in that location right now? Shadow Lake is about as close as it gets, and that's what? About 5 miles away?

Fun
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  12:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Royals are moving out this week.

Can you imagine your restaurant options for lunch in that location right now? Shadow Lake is about as close as it gets, and that's what? About 5 miles away?

Fun

Before anybody asks, no, I didn't hack AJ's account.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  1:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it's pretty close to the places over by Cabela's. I know there is a Pizza Gourmet there. Maybe 5 minutes to get there?

I can't remember ever doing lunch near Rosenblatt before or after a game.

I did go to the Storm Chaser's holiday sale on Saturday with my kids. The new colors are pretty good. Got the boys a couple t shirts for stocking stuffers and picked up a new hat. Can't wait for the season to start.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  1:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot about the stuff over by Cabela's...I guess that is fairly close. Plus, there isn't that much over by Rosenblatt, other than King Kong and McDonalds.

Guess I was hungry when I posed that.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  3:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's also 5 minutes from the stuff at 144th and I-80. not a ton over there, but a few fast food chains. I'm sure stuff will pop up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Papa Bear Mav
"Witness"

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  09:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Azteca still open by Cracker Barrel at 144th & I-80? One of the best Mexican places in Omaha.

Well, I never said I was a GOOD Buddhist.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Bear Mav

Is Azteca still open by Cracker Barrel at 144th & I-80? One of the best Mexican places in Omaha.

Well, I never said I was a GOOD Buddhist.

I went by about 6 weeks ago, and it was. Excellent Mexican food.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  10:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Sarpy has their financing mostly figured out. Took long enough.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101215/NEWS01/712159885#sarpy-finalizing-ballpark-finances

BTW, I don't think Sarpy County has a sleazier more corrupt politician than Joni Jones Albrecht. She typically comes off ranging somewhere between a whiny petulant baby, small town bumpkin politician in over her head, to a corrupt sleazebucket. I'm inclined to go with the last one. She ranks up there with any politician from Omaha on the sleaze scale and that's saying something.

I would still love to see someone look into her motivations in this ballpark project. She was on the board that hired Kermit Brashear and was the projects biggest cheerleader saying it just had to happen until the day that Kermit Brashear was let go. Ever since that day, she's been railing on the project, saying it was a mistake, and making public statements on how she wished Sarpy hadn't done it at all. On some levels it almost makes it seem like there were some dirty dealings going on between her and Brashear. Maybe a kickback or two? hmmmm.

Well, Ms. Jones, you are the chair of the board that got this thing off and running. If it does ultimately turn out to be a mistake, don't think you can fool everyone by playing some sort of "I've been against it longer than I was for it" type of game with the people of Sarpy county. Shameful.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  12:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that this completely solves the money question, because my initial quick math still shows that there's about $15 million over 25 years still to be funded. Those are rough numbers, and I very well could be off quite a bit on both sides. But this definitely helps Sarpy dig themselves out of the hole they dug themselves.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  4:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Sarpy Co board should pass a wheel tax for all Royals fans who come form Douglas County.

Only fair letting them use Sarpy roads and services and all.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way. I take back all my b*tching about TD White Elephant Park. Roger is going to put on a hippy jam fest downtown for 63 days.

I was wrong. What a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  09:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it seems like the music festival downtown could be really interesting and good, but I have my doubts knowing the booking track record of MECA. It's going to be nothing but dinosaur rock, country, and radio disney if I know their M.O. Even in the quotes yesterday, they were talking about Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Tom Petty, and Jimmy Buffett. Sure, there are alot of fans of those groups and it'll make them money, but it's not for me.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think MECA has done a fine job on the booking front. The types you mentioned unfortunately are what is currently filling the arenas of this size. I don't see where what they are booking is different than Wells Fargo or the Spring Center.

For the Independent Baseball team that will be there in 2012, on top of the CWS knocking you out of town for several weeks in June, you just lost a week in July as well. They are going to make the Knights look wildly successful. Not that they are cutting edge but they did also mention U2 yesterday.

I do think this could possibly be a very cool thing though. I love the Maha festival.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. yeah, didn't think about the indy ball team getting relocated for another week after leaving for 2 weeks for the CWS. Also, if their first season really is 2012, have a good time trying to schedule some home games during the week of the Swim Trials. If they are even allowed to play there overlapping the trials, can't imagine too many people going to those games. Who's going to want to fight those crowds to watch beer league ball on those dates? 2nd fiddle for sure to the Trials and 3rd fiddle to the Storm Chasers if they are in town.

You are right. The knights will look like a huge success compared to the Omaha Flame or whatever they end up calling them when it's all said and done.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  11:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love how King Roger talks like this is some sort of crazy new amazing concept he and the boys came up with to kill 6 more dates. Truth be told...US concert tours are down...WAY down in terms of money making during the recession, so good luck finding somebody better than Huey Lewis and the News. Noticed any big concerts coming through the area lately? No? It's because they're not happening. Now, if you want Saddle Creek to host something and bring 2,000 Connor Oberst warshiping communist hippies...knock yourselves out. But U2 and "rivals the CWS" means he's out of his f*cking mind. Either that or he thinks you're all really stupid. Probably both.

Why nobody else calls out this nuclear assjockey is beyond me.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  12:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

I love how King Roger talks like this is some sort of crazy new amazing concept he and the boys came up with to kill 6 more dates. Truth be told...US concert tours are down...WAY down in terms of money making during the recession, so good luck finding somebody better than Huey Lewis and the News. Noticed any big concerts coming through the area lately? No? It's because they're not happening. Now, if you want Saddle Creek to host something and bring 2,000 Connor Oberst warshiping communist hippies...knock yourselves out. But U2 and "rivals the CWS" means he's out of his f*cking mind. Either that or he thinks you're all really stupid. Probably both.

Why nobody else calls out this nuclear assjockey is beyond me.

Yep.

Last summer, a bunch of big name acts cancelled whole tours or dropped dates due to poor ticket sales. The big name acts want a fortune for tickets, and the modern music scene is too fragmented to fill a stadium with any one kind of music (other than country).

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My prediction:

Year 1 - Mid level acts. Medium crowds but not giant. "Next year will be better".
Year 2 - Much the same. "Getting better. Next year will be better still".
Year 3 - Newness grows tired. Nobody likes to listen to Mister Bungle in 120 degrees standing on asphalt.
Year 4 - Doesn't happen. Nobody misses it.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll wait to see what kind of acts they get first. It could be cool, or it could be the Nebraska State Fair.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  12:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there's a little overconfidence and unbridled optimism at play sometimes with this group. I think they honestly believe that the people of Omaha are so desperate for entertainment that we'll eat up anything they throw out at us. Sometimes, that works really well for them like the swim trials. Other times, they get less than stellar results like Omaha Aksarben Knights and a few other sports/entertainment events, I can think of. just maybe some arrogance at play there.

Like I said earlier, this could be cool like a Lollapalooza, but I'm afraid that it's going to end up just being a repackaging of the artists that have already played the Qwest Center 3-5 times since it's opened. Sure, they may make money off of that, but they will limit themselves and ultimately it will be less successful than they are anticipating because the fans of those groups will have already seen them a bunch of times already. Overall, I've seen a general unwillingness to schedule rock bands that appeal to people under 40 outside of green day, linkin park, and nickelback. Usually it's mostly bands that started in the 70's-80's, country, or radio disney.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

wow. yeah, didn't think about the indy ball team getting relocated for another week after leaving for 2 weeks for the CWS. Also, if their first season really is 2012, have a good time trying to schedule some home games during the week of the Swim Trials. If they are even allowed to play there overlapping the trials, can't imagine too many people going to those games. Who's going to want to fight those crowds to watch beer league ball on those dates? 2nd fiddle for sure to the Trials and 3rd fiddle to the Storm Chasers if they are in town.

You are right. The knights will look like a huge success compared to the Omaha Flame or whatever they end up calling them when it's all said and done.

They'll figure it out. The Qwest can only hold 12k-13k for swimming, since they have to take a bunch of seats out. So a 5k crowd for Indy league baseball will still fit just fine as far as parking goes.

Now, if you try W-H 4th of July Fireworks downtown with the swim trials, well, all bets are off...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  07:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

They'll figure it out. The Qwest can only hold 12k-13k for swimming, since they have to take a bunch of seats out. So a 5k crowd for Indy league baseball will still fit just fine as far as parking goes.

Now, if you try W-H 4th of July Fireworks downtown with the swim trials, well, all bets are off...

I suppose you're right and 5k is even being pretty generous as in both the American Association and Northern Leagues combined only 3 teams (St Paul in the AA and Winnipeg and KC in the Northern) manage to average 5k per game. Most teams are in the 3k range.

I think the only question would be whether or not the city wants any other sporting events going on downtown at that time to even conceivably take any attendance away from the trials.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  11:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually think this music thing will be a big success. As other's have said, Omaha is an "event town" and this seems to fit the bill. Partnering with Live Nation was a good step as well. We can all talk about how MECA is rough on tenants, but they have been very successful in impressing both the NCAA and concert acts that have performed at their facility. With this being near Slowdown and the riverfront I think it will draw large numbers from Omaha and other areas.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  11:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say they are using Milwaukee summerfest as a model, if it is half that it will be great.
Go to Top of Page

Ace Mav
New Recruit

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  2:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I think MECA has done a fine job on the booking front. The types you mentioned unfortunately are what is currently filling the arenas of this size. I don't see where what they are booking is different than Wells Fargo or the Spring Center.

For the Independent Baseball team that will be there in 2012, on top of the CWS knocking you out of town for several weeks in June, you just lost a week in July as well. They are going to make the Knights look wildly successful. Not that they are cutting edge but they did also mention U2 yesterday.

I do think this could possibly be a very cool thing though. I love the Maha festival.

Greg

Trying to bring in even an independent league team, and then tell them that they have to hit the road for 10 days in June for the CWS, 4 Saturdays for football, and now 6 additional days in July for the music festival, just doesn't make sense. Why would MECA think that they could force a team to give up 20 dates, when they couldn't get the Royals/Stormchasers to give up 10 dates. The indy league team is going to get tired of being 2nd or 3rd fiddle and move to Sarpy County. Or maybe Pottawattamie County will build a new stadium
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  2:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the baseball season and football seasons really won't overlap at all, but the rest of it is valid.
Go to Top of Page

NikiFan
Master of Distraction

296 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Football is valid considering the UFL is moving their schedule up to August and won't they play downtown?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  3:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NikiFan

Football is valid considering the UFL is moving their schedule up to August and won't they play downtown?

i stand corrected. was working off the assumption they'd be playing in mid september like they did this year.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  5:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace Mav

Trying to bring in even an independent league team, and then tell them that they have to hit the road for 10 days in June for the CWS, 4 Saturdays for football, and now 6 additional days in July for the music festival, just doesn't make sense. Why would MECA think that they could force a team to give up 20 dates, when they couldn't get the Royals/Stormchasers to give up 10 dates. The indy league team is going to get tired of being 2nd or 3rd fiddle and move to Sarpy County. Or maybe Pottawattamie County will build a new stadium

Unless you build your own stadium, every team knows that they don't necessarily have exclusive use of the place. And even then, they know that the more events that your facility holds, the more viable the place is.

The independent league team has to know the parameters of where they fit in the local pecking order, and they'll have to expect those dates away. Every baseball team uses less than half of the dates during their season; they all have to play games away and have off days. I still believe this was more of a negotiating point with Omaha's old AAA baseball team, especially once they got Sarpy County to give in.

BTW, there's a pretty good chance there is a much-smaller music festival at BFE. The son of Kermit Brashear is also one of the organizers of the Maha festival, and they are looking for a new location.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000