Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call Colorado Springs the burbs with 400k people. It's also an hour from Denver so they probably don't draw any fans from that area. But you're dumb, so I won't hold you to knowing that.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  3:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, but if I'm understanding it correctly, the stadium is in a suburban, more remote, area of colorado springs, not downtown. that's what I meant.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, ok.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  4:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i see some paralells between colorado springs and Omaha and not just in the fact they are both suburban ballparks. They are also two of the smallest in AAA baseball.

http://www.littleballparks.com/Stadium/2005/Colorado_Springs/Colorado_Springs.htm

don't know much about that franchise or how well they do. But, note the sea of suburban houses in the background of some of the pics. Their suburban ballpark has been around 22 years. would love to know if it's spurred the growth that sarpy is hoping for...
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  10:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Springs is a direct market of 250k people. They just did 300k fans for the first time in 2009 and again in 2010. Omaha has done it for something like 20 years. Omaha market is at least 3 times as big, but I am not sure how far Omaha draws as most minor league teams draw from as much as an hour or so away.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  10:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omaha Storm Chasers?

The name is just full of mediocrity. It's not the worst name on their list of 9, by far, but it's nowhere near interesting much less inspiring. I expected more and was let down yet again.

Gotta love the Royals marketing machine who managed to leak the name 2 hours prior to their "unveiling". Bet someone got in trouble for that one.

The logos are just totally uninspired. Am I the only one that thinks that the script for "Storm Chasers" looks like it was lifted from the San Diego Chargers with the two toned blue and gold lettering complete with lightning bolts. Seems pretty unoriginal to me. Also, the "O" with the lightning bolt through it looks like it is straight out of Flash Gordon. I expected more, but I shouldn't have. The storm cloud mascot that's on the front of the hats looks like something a 9 year old would just love to have as the logo for their little league team. I know kids are a big part of the minor league baseball equation, but c'mon. Grown men wearing those hats on the field are going to look pretty ridiculous.

This is a less interesting and less inspired name than Golden Spikes ever was. I honestly wish they'd have gone back to Golden Spikes over this. I didn't think there was anything that would have made me miss Golden Spikes, but they did it. I think they are on the clock right now. I just can't imagine this name lasting. I could see a similar backlash to this name as there was over Golden Spikes and maybe the team will be forced to pick another name again in a few years. Maybe it'll go back to the Royals.

I would love to know if this followed the voting. I simply cannot believe that this name won the popular vote unless there was one guy sitting in his basement voting a thousand times a day. If they had to change from the Royals, Monarchs, Commanders, Blue Bombers, and Force were all better choices than this.

Of course, it could have been worse. I'm thankful they didn't go with Cattlemen, Omahogs, Sodbusters, or Windwalkers. I would have stuck to my guns about not renewing my tickets if they had picked one of those names which would have only served to reinforce the stereotype that we live in a cow town.

I know I keep using the same words here, but the best way to sum this up is unintersting and uninspired. The Royals, errr chasers, have a good product. They do some good things in the community, but they always seem to find a way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. I see this as one of those moments. The stadium issue was already divisive and now they've made it even more so by renaming the team and picking a name that is simply not a name that gets people in the community fired up about their product. Look at any number of websites tonight to see the backlash over this.

In the end, I'm a baseball fan and I like AAA baseball. So, I'm going to continue to support the team and go to games. However, I think the franchise made a huge mistake today. It's a mistake that they may live to regret.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  4:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NCAA's first order of business in the new world order is a Nazi-esque ticket pricing policy.

Enjoy everyone!!!

http://omaha.com/article/20101118/NEWS01/101119692#cws-ticket-prices-set
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do these prices compare to the ones from this year? Surprised that was not mentioned in the article.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  4:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NCAA probably told them not to mention the prices from last year.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  10:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently you saw an early version of the story, because it's there now...

quote:
So for 2011, there will be just one price for a season ticket package — $374. In Rosenblatt’s last year, a box seat package cost $364 and a reserved package went for $293.

Individual reserved seats now will cost $28 for qualifying games and $33 for the finals. Those seats had cost as little as $22 for qualifying reserved seats but $35 for box seats to the finals.

A general admission book of 10 tickets will cost $80, up $10 from the $70 cost for the last series and at least the two previous ones.

While I don't think anybody should have been shocked to see a price increase, I think that the idea of having all of the tickets being one price makes a lot of sense.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  10:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$22 and $29 were the 2010 prices I believe.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

While I don't think anybody should have been shocked to see a price increase, I think that the idea of having all of the tickets being one price makes a lot of sense.

Urrgh. I meant to say...having all of the tickets being one price DIDN'T make a lot of sense. Need more sleep.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one should be shocked the prices are going up. Rosenblatt was a dump and the quality of the seating and amenities at both TD Ameritrade and Werner Park are worth the small price increases, IMO. I think my tickets at Werner park are going up about $1.50 per ticket, per game.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair to teh current Golden Royal Chasers and their management...it's tough to compare to the ticket price of ZERO..which is what they were for a long time. Not their fault..but 30 years of free tickets might be tough to overcome.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  12:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen all that many free tickets in the last 5-7 years. Didn't the Minker group or even the one before that put a halt to alot of the free ticket offers in the early 00's or do I just not know the right place to look. Only thing I can really think of is Sunday afternoon canned good days where you got in free with a can of food. That probably ends for sure.

I do expec them to keep running the Valpack buy one get one free offers they've run the last few years at least for weekday games and probably only for GA tickets.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It did begin with previous owners but takes a lot of time. I just remember going to Shopko and getting free tickets at Customer Service. Whoever the owner was about 15 years ago, they would call the company I worked at and offer us 100 tix for $50 bucks. We did that a lot. There are still a lot of Omahans out there that remember the free tickets.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  4:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the big challenge going forward for Omaha baseball fans is going to be coming to the realization that they won't be able to walk up on the day of the game and purchase box seats 3 rows from the field anymore. They are going to have to purchase in advance for friday-saturday games or get stuck in the berms.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  9:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, not if the independent league team starts playing in TD Ameritrade Park. Last month, the only concern was whether the Northern League was viable.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101031/NEWS01/710319878

Well, the Northern League has merged with two other independent leagues to create a 16 team league. So that's viable for next season; the only question is whether MECA will finally sign the contract that apparently has already been negotiated.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Indy leauge downtown with $6-$8 parking probably draws 1500 per game. Maybe 2500 the first year or so, but eventually settles at about 1500. I don't know anyone who wants to watch beer league baseball for the same price that they could see AAA baseball.

I also give it about 3 years max. If you haven't noticed, MECA's track record for keeping tenants isn't that good. Knights lasted 2 years, Lancers are leaving them, UNO wants out, Royals wouldn't play ball at all in their facility. And, this league they have set up may even be on shaky ground from the start. Seems like desperation on all fronts.

btw, I'm absolutely shocked they are having a hard time finalizing a lease with MECA. SHOCKED!
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  12:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm speaking only for myself, but depending on how an independent league team operates, I'll give it a shot because TD Ameritrade is much more convenient for me to get to than the Trailer Park. My circumstances (working downtown and living out west) don't apply to everybody, but I'd rather walk over to Zestos for dinner after work. We do this all the time for hockey games.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  2:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downtown would have been great for me in my singles days, but my kids are in West Omaha, and that's who I almost always take so there's no going straight from work for me.

I appluad Roger for not just taking the first league. Sounds like the current one is shaky and I would think we'd want to be in a league with KC and Lincoln. Feel bad for the guys that put up the deposit though.

Either one though I think is destined to fail. Too many factors against them, too big of a stadium , no amenities for minor league baseball,not naming rights, MECA getting concessions/parking, no big league club to cover salaries and insurance, plus a shorter season so the loss of most of June really hurts....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  2:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's worse? Saying this is minor league baseball or saying that the Lancers are semi-pro?

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  6:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Werner Park apparently has 3 seat colors with green, blue, and burgundy. You can catch a glimpse of it on their stadium update video on facebook. I really hoped they had gotten away from that when they left the blatt. the red, yellow, and blue was always hard on the eyes. I can't even imagine what green, burgundy, and blue is going to look like all together. ugh. Why couldn't they have just gone with green or blue, one or the other, like most parks?
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  09:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI - They're starting construction work on the western portion of HWY 370 from I-80 to Gretna. This means that Mike and other WestOmahites can hit four lane all the way to Werner Park...that is of course after their connecting flight...through the plains via wagon and then via pack mule through rural Sarpy County.

I went from the ballpark to 180th and Maple in like 17 minutes the other day. Once that 4-lane road is in place, it's sure to go even quicker than that.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  12:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many sheriff's deputies were chasing you? Last time I timed it, it took me nearly that long to get from BFE to 150th & Dodge...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  4:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ridiculous.

You drive like a grandpa.
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  08:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

FYI - They're starting construction work on the western portion of HWY 370 from I-80 to Gretna. This means that Mike and other WestOmahites can hit four lane all the way to Werner Park...that is of course after their connecting flight...through the plains via wagon and then via pack mule through rural Sarpy County.

I went from the ballpark to 180th and Maple in like 17 minutes the other day. Once that 4-lane road is in place, it's sure to go even quicker than that.

Friggin hilarious! Somebody get Mike a Chevy Volt and a TomTom.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their holiday sale dates got announced. My kids get a kick out of Santa and such there. I just have to warn them that there is no game that day. Even though it's winter and such when we get off that exit and drive the stadium they get excited (they are only 3 and 5).

Greg

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101201&content_id=16235902&vkey=news_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad I got on my mini plan when I did. according to the Storm Chasers, they've sold out of 12 game mini plans already, more than 4 months before opening day.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101202&content_id=16242772&vkey=news_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541

Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  7:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

glad I got on my mini plan when I did. according to the Storm Chasers, they've sold out of 12 game mini plans already, more than 4 months before opening day.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101202&content_id=16242772&vkey=news_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541

I firmly believe in conceptual distance. If some family in Millard thinks this new stadium is closer, they are going to be more willing to go try out a game. Sounds like the team may be seeing something of that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000