Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  10:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

What I find funny is how anybody in Omaha could call a place 95% of the population can reach in at most 30-35 minutes "BFE". Did you guys get another 500,000 people and grow another 25 miles north of Elkhorn since I left?

Good point. But it's in comparison to the Omaha area...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  10:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'd want to spend an hour or more driving to see a triple A ballgame but maybe on the rare occasion. And it depends on how you define BFE. To some, the middle of a cornfield is BFE, even if there will some day be development there.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  01:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who's driving an hour to get to the sarpy ballpark? people in beatrice? that doesn't quite make sense. You have to get a long way from omaha before anyone is an hour away from the ballpark.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

What I find funny is how anybody in Omaha could call a place 95% of the population can reach in at most 30-35 minutes "BFE".

30-35 minutes x2 for there and back equals 60-70 minutes and I could imagine it being that far for somebody up by Stone Creek or somebody in the country club area. Maybe those aren't quite that far but I'm betting more than 5% is a possible 30-35 minute drive away.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I suppose there are some that are that far away, but that's an extremely severe minority of people in the city. Also, how many people that lived in Elkhorn or areas like that were already 30 minutes away from Rosenblatt anyways? Not everything can be 10 minutes from our houses.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people in real cities mock us and think of this as a hick town when we complain about having to drive 20-30 minutes to anything. That is a fact. I've talked to people that live in places like LA, Denver, and Chicago and they look at me like we have no idea what travel and traffic in a real city is like when I say that people here complain about 20 minutes of driving.

Whatever, I guess. It's obviously an omaha thing. People from Omaha area don't like to leave their neighborhoods and expect things to be within a 10 minute drive of their front door. I get that. Probably no changing it. Having lived in Bellevue and Papillion most of my life, I've never had all these shopping, dining, and entertainment options available in my backyard till recently. So, I've always had to travel 15-20 minutes to do anything until a few years ago.

Still, with 6k permanent seats, the bar has been set pretty low for this thing. If they can't draw 4-6k (about as much as they were drawing in South O) from places like Papillion, Bellevue, Gretna, Millard, and La Vista, they've got problems.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't disagree. I say that I'm not sure I'd care to drive that far but I live probably within 15 minutes of there and still don't know how much I'll go. I just think it's more than a simple minority or more than 5% that would have that far to drive to get down there because there's not really an easy way to get there. 72nd and 84th suck to get down to Papillion and the interstate is quicker but has you traveling away from the stadium before you're going towards it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  12:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Stone Park and it takes me 30 minutes to get to the 'blatt and similar for north downtown so the Sarpy park is not an issue.

I did see where a Mike asked in this week's OWH on-line chat about the naming rights. Sounds like the Royals have already sold a bunch of naming rights within the stadium and will most likely announce those along with the stadium naming rights all at one time in the future.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  2:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was me in the OWH chat, btw.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  08:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good article detailing the progress at both ballparks...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101025/NEWS01/710259911/0#grass-greener-at-sarpy-stadium

yes, TD Ameritrade is well behind schedule, but it sounds like they don't anticipate it being a major issue.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  1:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been to the new Sarpy stadium, I don't see it as too far away, or difficult to get to. I-80 to Hwy 50, south to 370. No more difficulty than driving all the way to the Blatt.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out next year, and whether MECA will hedge it's bet by keeping the Blatt functional till next year.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  6:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it will be woefully weak if the blatt makes yet another "encore" next spring with some stupid CU baseball games in 40 degree weather attended by 500 people. Yet, I'm sure that's what the CU people meant by contingency plans. pitiful. Why can't they just play on campus if the new ballpark isn't ready?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can MECA hedge it's bet's? I thought the zoo takes possession by January 1?

Here's an article on trying to get the beer under control at Nighthawk's games. I think MetroFan had incidicated earlier that it had escalated to the state liquor commission:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101026/NEWS01/710269929#new-policy-for-nighthawks-imbibers

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, if the city is basically cutting them a sweetheart deal on the property, I can't see the zoo complaining too much if the city decides to alter the deal and make it april or even july of 2011.

of course, i saw on the news that they were cutting the support poles for the netting behind home plate out with blowtorches a few weeks ago. I don't see the city being willing to put that back in for CU and I don't see CU willing to pay for it themselves. Of course, I've found that whatever CU wants in this city, CU gets. So, we'll see.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing happens at 10th & Bert Murphy until after the first ballgame is a success at TD Ameritrade. It's a standard contingency plan. Most people who are building a new house put a clause into the deal that they don't transfer possession of their old house until the new house is complete. (Though I've heard of situations where the buyer of the old house needs the house by a certain date, and that forces the guy building and selling to take the risk.)

And I hardly think the zoo is cutting a sweetheart deal. Most of the donor money for the new stadium was donated in order to allow the zoo to expand into the Rosenblatt space. Omaha's getting a new stadium for less city revenue (hotel/car rental taxes) than it would have taken to remodel/renovate Rosenblatt to meet the NCAA's demands.

And BigRedMed, you can't define the distance by number of turns. Haymarket Park is I-80 to I-180, turn on Cornhusker, turn right onto highway 6. Doesn't sound too difficult, just one more turn. Or an even more simple example: I-80 west to 13th Street. Only problem that's 925 miles on I-80 to Salt Lake City for the Bees Stadium.

My point is that the distance is relative to the rest of Omaha. For Papillion and old town Millard, the new stadium is closer. It's a wash for much of west Omaha west of I-680. Everybody else in the metro area, well, it's further away. And I think there are more people in Omaha and even Sarpy County that will find downtown or Rosenblatt easier to drive to than the highway 370 location.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  1:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Driving to the stadium is one thing.

Finding a place to park downtown is another.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  1:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking will be better and the roads to get there will be easier to drive on to get there and to get home. The point of my earlier comment, is that for most people, the distance may not be different, but the roads needed to get there will be easier to deal with with the Sarpy site.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  2:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike West O is right on the zoo not getting a sweetheart deal...they paid the bonds off on the Blatt. Not sure Mike West O is right on keeping the Blatt until after the first pitch is thrown, but he should be right. I can tell you that the zoo is planning a big community event at Blatt over 2-days in late summer / early fall 2011. Nothing will be done until then.

It would take at least $200-250k to put Blatt back together for baseball so not so sure that would happen for anything other than if the downtown stadium continues to stay behind schedule. Wonder if CU would play in Sarpy?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking will be easier and cheaper at Sarpy than DT.

370 is great for accesss. For me coming from NW Omaha, I'll just do 680 to 80 to 370.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why can't cu just play on their own campus stadium? They don't draw anyone unless they are playing NU anyway.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Driving to the stadium is one thing.

Finding a place to park downtown is another.

The only time I've seen parking problems downtown since the Qwest Center opened was when Zig Ziglar held a seminar with Tom Osborne in 2005, and 17,000 people decided to drive themselves downtown.

I've watched NCAA basketball, state wrestling, and other events happen during the working day, and the Qwest Center lots never filled up, even with 18,000 people in town.

Parking is not an issue. Maybe for the first day for the CWS when people don't know how to get around. After that, the only people who'll be complaining about parking downtown will be the South O Yard Parking enterprises...

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  1:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking will be in an issue downtown for the CWS. DT has never seen anything like this. Remember it's not just the people attending the game. There will be thousands that go downtown to just be near it, that do not attend a game. It already happens at the 'blatt that will continue as much if not more downtown. Then you have people arriving for one session before the other one is done. I'm not saying there weren't issues at the 'blatt either, that area could not accomodate thte CWS the last few years either.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are plenty of surface streets and additional parking downtown, especially for those evening games as office workers head home after 4 pm. Some coordination with downtown businesses will be in order, but parking for CWS games downtown will be orders of magnitude better than at Rosenblatt.

Also the need for parking will be reduced simply because many out-of-town fans will simply walk from their hotels.

Also, an update from TD Ameritrade Park. The infield is now green with fresh sod.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  12:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least people will have 11 and 1/2 months to set a cooler in their parking spot if they scope out a good one they like.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  8:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day games will be a major challenge. For the NCAA game we went to on the Thursday we drove around for a long time to find street parking. The out of towners at the DT hotels will walk but CWS fans stay at hotels all over the 8 county metro area, the DT hotels are just a part of that equation.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  9:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always parked out at a mall and taken the shuttle. Less stress.

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the Royals won't lose too many fans over the move if the OWH's poll holds true and any loss of fans will be offset by gains of new fans who will attend more games because of the new ballpark.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101029/NEWS01/710299909#poll-who-will-go-to-royals-games
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  08:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the article was pretty accurate. Once people see how close you are to the action at the new stadium they will appreciate it. Plus 5k in that stadium won't look so sparse as it does at the blatt. As Mav fans we've seen how 6500 leads to a great atmosphere and more of an event feel at the Civic, where 6500 at Qwest seems empty and hard to fill with noise (along with black curtains trying to hide empty seats, like the Royals do covering up seats in the outfield).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  08:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to Rosenblatt for the Nighthawks game last night and it just reaffirmed to me how much of a hole that place really is. I'll miss it in a sentimental way, but it has far outlived its value.

Honestly, when you get a crowd over 10k in there, the place is a nightmare. not enough restrooms, porta johns all over the place. You wade through a mass of humanity in the old concourses and sit in lines of 25 minutes just to get a hot dog.

Honestly, when people try the new ballparks in sarpy and omaha, there won't be another mention of "why are we tearing down rosenblatt?"
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  09:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not mentioned in the Omaha World-Herald story: how many people hold Omaha Royals season tickets. I believe it's fewer than 800. And the stadium will have a 9,000-person capacity?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000