Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  3:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Northwest Arkansas Naturals are (or were) stacked this year, Royals holding down the top 3 Texas League prospects. Will we being seeing any of those players in AAA ball next year, or do they all get the AA -> Big Club promotion.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg said that a week ago...pay attention sometime.

And like I said, we'll see how those prospects perform in Yankee pinstripes, Cubbie or Dodger blue, or Cardinal/BoSox red...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Moustakas is already with Omaha. I think at some point next year Hosmer will be in Omaha as well. We'll get some of the pitcher's in Double AA, one or two might go straight to KC but that still means we get several.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Greg said that a week ago...pay attention sometime.

And like I said, we'll see how those prospects perform in Yankee pinstripes, Cubbie or Dodger blue, or Cardinal/BoSox red...

Well they'll have to wait 6 years for Free Agency for Yankee pinstripes or Dodger Blue (And that clock doesn't start til they make their MLB debut)...considering that's how long it takes to be a free agent in MLB.

Stick with football.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  6:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is more than 1 way to change teams. I guess Mike and I are the only ones to have noticed David Glass's tendency to TRADE and/or SELL his top players to the Yankees, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers, etc. for a less talented player, a pile of cash, and a pickled egg. (OK, that last one is a joke.)

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  10:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has not happened in years. I believe you have to go back to Beltran for the last time it did. If you noticed during the trades this year, the Royals sent cash to Atlanta so they could get Tim Collins (they picked up the remaining contracts on Farnsworth and Ankiel after they went to Atlanta). So the whole, get a less talented player and a pile of cash is far from accurate now. Remember they signed Greinke and Soria to deals, not trading them during arbitration years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  10:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Royals have had...by far (and this is not opinion) the most dynamic and well-run minor league system in the major leagues over the past 3 years. THe team has never had more than 2 of Baseball America's year end best prospects. This season, they have 5. They also have 3 guys on the USA Pan Am team who are destroying teams, and watched their AA Texas League Team (AA teams always have the most young talent) absolutely steamroll the rest of the league on their way to the league championship.

This is not business as ususal. This is a completely adn totally different animal with the same blue and gold clothes on.

You will see this over the next 2-4 years.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  12:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll see, we'll see. Maybe Glass is truly going to stop running the Royals like Wal*Mart. Color me skeptical though.

Oh, and the infield at TD Ameritrade is now in place, and now they're working on the warning track, as near as I can tell.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101013/NEWS01/710139910

quote:
MECA is continuing several efforts to fill the stadium with events outside the College World Series, Creighton baseball and Omaha Nighthawks football.

Dixon said discussions have been “hit and miss” about bringing in a minor league baseball team from an independent league. But Dixon said he is confident that a team will play downtown, possibly in 2011 but more likely in 2012.

MECA also is looking at setting up the field for soccer. Dixon said MECA has talked with international event promoters but not Major League Soccer, which has a team in Kansas City.

First event will likely be Nebraska vs. Creighton on April 19th.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

The Royals have had...by far (and this is not opinion) the most dynamic and well-run minor league system in the major leagues over the past 3 years.

How is that not an opinion? Even with good qualifying statements like you've got.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason Dayton Moore took the job was that Glass gave him complete baseball control. Moore makes the calls within the framework of the organization, not Glass any longer (as he did when Ally Baird was GM)
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the infield is in that is great...since they were nearly 2 months late I was afraid that it would be late March. So they have pushed from April 15 to April 19...not a big deal.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  4:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wonder when we'll hear anything about naming rights for the sarpy ballpark? That was supposed to be a huge component of the financing for the new ballpark. I'm finding it interesting that we are under six months away from its opening and there's no word on whether they are close to selling the rights or not.

The TD Ameritrade thing was a pretty thinly disguised rumor for weeks before it came out. Not much on the naming front in Sarpy.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  4:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Naming Rights is not a major component of the financing package in Sarpy. It is a major component to the success of the Royals though.

As an fyi - the last 2 Triple A ballparks to open was Reno and Gwinnett in 2009. Gwinnett announed their partner in May of 2010 and Reno has not yet sold their rights. Will be interesting to see if it is sold in the next 3 or 4 months though.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

The Naming Rights is not a major component of the financing package in Sarpy. It is a major component to the success of the Royals though.

As an fyi - the last 2 Triple A ballparks to open was Reno and Gwinnett in 2009. Gwinnett announed their partner in May of 2010 and Reno has not yet sold their rights. Will be interesting to see if it is sold in the next 3 or 4 months though.

It may not be a huge component for Sarpy, but the stuff I've read made it seems like they are expecting to see some decent revenue out of the naming rights...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100104/NEWS01/701049959/1009

quote:
Any naming rights deal carries implications for the financing of the $26 million stadium. The Royals agreed to pay Sarpy County 50 percent of any yearly amount they receive above $300,000.

For example, a $5 million naming rights deal over 10 years would average $500,000 annually. After the Royals kept the initial $300,000, Sarpy County and the Royals would split the remaining $200,000, and Sarpy County must use its share to pay off construction debt and bonds.

Sarpy County Board Chairwoman Joni Jones said she would be disheartened if the Royals managed to reach a naming rights deal of only $300,000 annually.

“I would hope that it would be significantly more,” she said. She said the extra money is important to help the county pay down construction costs and debt.
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  4:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were their any estimates on what they thought they would get per year. I think TD was 750K annually, not that that means a thing, but give some perspective.

First National is my guess. My guess for the value of the deal, terms not disclosed.

This site shows a wide range of pricing for minor league naming rights, from over 1 million per year to less than 100K per year.

http://law.marquette.edu/cgi-bin/site.pl?2130&pageID=3936

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  6:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they didn't say. Joni Jones said she hoped it would be "significantly more" than $300k per year, whatever that means. I don't know if she was just pulling numbers out of thin air or not.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  8:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She also said it was "important" to the financing. If you split the $1M and $100k and say they got $600k, so then Sarpy would $150k, don't see how that makes a huge dent in the final figure. But I guess any money helps.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  08:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would bet on Werner or PayPal for the naming rights. I really think it will be Werner though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  12:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most recent Naming Rights deals (over the past 2 years) in minor league baseball have gone for $100k/year to $250k/year.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  12:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be shocked if it were Werner. Gail Werner-Robertson is on the board of MECA.

That being said, I think there must be some sort of hangup. While Martie Cordaro said they weren't on a calendar at the start of the year, he also said "one month, two month"...well, we're now 10 months later.

I suppose they could elect to keep the place named "Sarpy County Ballpark" or "BFE" or "Money Pit" for the first year, but the value of the naming rights are going to be highest in year one. That's when everybody wants to drive out to see the place, that's when all the stories about the new ballpark are going to come out. Every day that it's not sold, the value of the naming rights drop because every story that comes out is one missed opportunity to get a sponsors name out there. I'm sure that's why TD Ameritrade signed up early for the new downtown ballpark, or why Qwest signed up early for the Qwest Center.

Maybe in the long run, the Royals feel that an improving economy will mean more than the initial "new ballpark smell" in terms of value. That's probably why those other ballparks went unsponsored the first year or two. Note that Jerry Jones didn't sell the naming rights to JerryWorld.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  12:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think that jerry jones is really all that motivated to sell the name to cowboys stadium in any economy. correct me if someone has read otherwise, but in an era of corporate sponsorships, Cowboys Stadium (the old one) never got a corporate sponsor.

Back to the topic at hand, I think there is something holding them up as mike said. there are a ton of stories floating around about the ballpark and it would make sense to have a corporate name attached to it right now.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  3:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know earlier in this thread we were talking about the Nighthawks and whether or not they would lmake money with their current business model and how they compared with the omaha royals. I know that Shatel said they would lose money this year, but Pivovar also said this today for a little bit more info...

Steven Pivovar: Everyone in the league is going to lose money again this year. They're just hoping that it's not as much as last year (a reported $30 million). The long-term sustainability of this league is tied to TV and getting its product on a more estab lished network that will pay TV rights as opposed to having the league by time and then sell the advertising to cover production costs.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  4:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the UFL will have trouble getting more $ and on more established networks. It's a pretty crowded market between the NFL and college football in the fall. Other than the cities involved, I'm not sure too many fans watch it on TV. I know I did not last year before we had a team.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  12:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UFL wants an investment from the NFL, and ideally, the NFL Network would televise games. The NFL Network already televises CFL games. The value to the NFL isn't so much the games as much as having a viable development league that makes better economic sense than flying players to Europe did.

Also, the word out of Dallas was that Jerry Jones didn't get the price he wanted for naming rightss...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/021609dnmetnamingrights.3db415d.html

quote:
A naming rights deal to add hundreds of millions of dollars to his bottom line hasn't materialized, and sports business professionals said Jones might not find a sponsor this year unless he's willing to offer a deep discount. Even optimistic naming rights consultants are saying that a blockbuster deal is probably off the table in this year of economic turmoil.

"Chances are, there are offers, but they are coming in well below what the Cowboys want," said naming rights consultant Terry Burton, who is not involved with the negotiations.

Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  2:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the WSJ report on how much money the NFL is already losing on rumors of a player lockout in March, if the UFL is going to get a deal, they had better hurry and cash the check quick.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  3:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure the NFL is going to give them much money if at all. Would be interesting. I would think the NFL Network would rather televise college football in the regular season (they already do bowl games) than the UFL. The ratings would be better.

Interesting on the naming rights for the Cowboys. Wonder if the same thing happens with the Royals.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  10:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I'd be shocked if it were Werner. Gail Werner-Robertson is on the board of MECA.

That being said, I think there must be some sort of hangup. While Martie Cordaro said they weren't on a calendar at the start of the year, he also said "one month, two month"...well, we're now 10 months later.

I suppose they could elect to keep the place named "Sarpy County Ballpark" or "BFE" or "Money Pit" for the first year, but the value of the naming rights are going to be highest in year one. That's when everybody wants to drive out to see the place, that's when all the stories about the new ballpark are going to come out. Every day that it's not sold, the value of the naming rights drop because every story that comes out is one missed opportunity to get a sponsors name out there. I'm sure that's why TD Ameritrade signed up early for the new downtown ballpark, or why Qwest signed up early for the Qwest Center.

Maybe in the long run, the Royals feel that an improving economy will mean more than the initial "new ballpark smell" in terms of value. That's probably why those other ballparks went unsponsored the first year or two. Note that Jerry Jones didn't sell the naming rights to JerryWorld.

You are funny. Werner-Robertson was on the board, not any longer. Why does it matter if it is last month, next month or in 6 months? Maybe the ORoyals are having issues, maybe they are not. Just because it hasn't been announced means nothing. They have sold a minimum of seven 5 to 10 year agreements that are called something like foundation partners or something another.

Yes Jones waited, but there is a difference in a $1.2+ billion project and a $35+ million project...I think the Cowboys have a few events and national partners that mean they can wait, I doubt the ORoyals can.

Oh, and Money Pit and BFE are funny references...
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  10:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, what else would you expect? It's pretty safe to say that Mike is no fan of the ballpark or Sarpy Co. He's been using BFE and Money pit for a long time now. hasn't come up with any new material for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  3:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's call the new ballpark the "Omaha Arena - not in Omaha and not an arena" just to confuse people like the Omaha World-Herald did when the Qwest Center opened.
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  4:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I find funny is how anybody in Omaha could call a place 95% of the population can reach in at most 30-35 minutes "BFE". Did you guys get another 500,000 people and grow another 25 miles north of Elkhorn since I left?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000