Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  12:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny how a name will impact purcahsing decisions...I think there are 6 on that list I can live with and 3 top ones. Royals, Storm Chasers, Force.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  12:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not trying to be petty, but I just don't know if I can justify spending money on a team that is messing with tradition to possibly name the team something abysmal and embarrassing like Omahahogs or Sodbusters.

Are they trying to make us look like hicks?
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  12:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether it is Royals or Cattlemen (I hope not, but...) it will still be the best sports entertainment in the metro from an affordability and promotional standpoint. It will also still be the best sports from a talent standpoint in regard to MLB affiliation. Only something like 15-10 out of the 150 something minor league clubs share their big league nickname - I think that has been reported on/stated by ORoyals.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  1:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, that's all very true about affordability etc.

However, it doesn't mean that their product can afford to change its name to something horrendous like cattlemen, omahogs, hail storm, or sodbusters and not expect some sort of disconnect or backlash from their patrons. .

UNO athletics is affordable and offers a high entertainment value relative to things like CU basketball and NU football. However, do you think they would see no negative repurcussions if they suddenly and for no apparent reason changed their names to: University of Nebraska at Omaha Dung Beetles?

Affiliation with a team goes a long way towards how much one spends on that product I would think. Damaging the connection between the team and the community/fans cannot be good for revenue no matter how you slice it. Look at the stories on places like Wowt.com, most of those names are getting slammed hard.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  1:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with nouse here.

This strikes me as a ruse to get people to support moving the team and keeping the name the same.

This is one of the reasons that I think everyone should vote for the Omahogs name. Force the ownership group to come clean and admit that they are keeping the Royals name.
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  1:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFanIt will also still be the best sports from a talent standpoint in regard to MLB affiliation.

Isn't it the only Omaha sports team with MLB affiliation.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  1:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

University of Nebraska at Omaha Dung Beetles?

They would really push around the competition then eh.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  2:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha! yes. imagine the logos UNO could have. :)
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  8:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

This is one of the reasons that I think everyone should vote for the Omahogs name. Force the ownership group to come clean and admit that they are keeping the Royals name.

There's also the desire for chaos. So I'm voting for the Omahogs as well...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  10:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

Whether it is Royals or Cattlemen (I hope not, but...) it will still be the best sports entertainment in the metro from an affordability and promotional standpoint. It will also still be the best sports from a talent standpoint in regard to MLB affiliation. Only something like 15-10 out of the 150 something minor league clubs share their big league nickname - I think that has been reported on/stated by ORoyals.

Bzzzzt. The Nighthawks have the Royals trumped on all those factors. $10 tickets for professional football with all-pros like Jeff Garcia and Ahman Green (and a roster full of players who've played in the NFL), versus prospects from one of the worst run baseball organization at $7-$8?

Don't know how long the UFL will last, but for now, the Nighthawks are the kings of Omaha sports entertainment.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  09:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bet a beer at a Maverick game that Baseball America will rate the Royals farm system as the number 1 in all of MLB. Say what you want about how it's run but right now they are drafting better than pretty much anyone. With the Royals you will see up and coming players along with a few on the way down. Nothing against the Nighthawks but you will most likely see on their way down type players and one's that have issues that keep them from the NFL. A few may go back up due to injuries or such (one Nighthawk went up this week but I thought they were not supposed to go up until after their season ended) You'll see some former all stars with the UFL and future ones with the Royals and their opponents.

If the league makes it, a huge IF (the NFL could not even make minor league football work), the $10 seats won't last. Even with sellouts and lots of merchandise they are still losing money this year. They are on a roll, it also helps that there's only 4 home games, creates more of a event vs game atmosphere. Don't get me wrong they are doing a good job in the market.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  11:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with greg here. the nighthawks have a good product, but they are still the flavor of the week. still have a ton of work to do before you can declare them the kings of anything in omaha. the royals/cattlemen/omahogs/whatever dreadful name they pick do have some advantages over the nighthawks like stability, lower long term prices, and more up and coming players.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree that the Royals farm system is better over the past 2 years compared to previous. The KC team has been incrementally better about jobbing the Omaha team/fans of the best players and the key players.

The problem is that they had done this for SO MANY years that they have built an image of a team that gels, starts winning some games, and then loses all their clutch players to KC and falling apart. Therefore, I just can't get behind supporting a team that won't be here in a week, and its going to take some time to live it down.

Haven't been to a Nighthawks game, and given the level of drunkeness, I probably will skip them, but if they can get the game atmosphere controlled, I could see where they would be #1.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  12:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
400k+ fans versus less than 100k fans. The CWS and Creighton MBB are up there with ORoyals. Nighthawks and the drunken fanbase needs 3-5 years to legitimize themselves in my eyes.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  12:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, the Nighthawks don't have a long track record, but I suggest that you ask a dozen people randomly around town which game they'd like to attend: Omaha Royals or Omaha Nighthawks.

I feel pretty confident that the Nighthawks will win that poll 70-30 or more. A lot of that is the new-ness factor, but as long as they stay in town, a Nighthawks game will captivate the mindset of local sports fans than an entire homestand of Omaha Royals games.

I don't see the low-end ticket prices for the Nighthawks changing much unless they come up with a way to install a 15,000 seat set of bleachers in the outfield at TD Ameritrade. Those left field bleachers are rather distant to the action. But it's a heck of a value, and considering the price increase coming up at BFE, will make the Nighthawks a much better value for the sports fan's dollar.

Also, Greg, note that I said the worst-run organization. The Royals apparently have been drafting well, but until David Glass sells the team, these prospects will all be wearing Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinal, and Cub jerseys when they hit their prime.

As for the drunkenness, from my perspective at the first game, that's sorely overblown. I had no problem taking my kids to the game, and would take them again in a heartbeat if the schedule and weather permit. (Which it doesn't look like it will...)

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  12:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
circa 1990 ask fans how excited they were to attend a royals game. circa 1995 ask random fans how excited they were to attend a lancers game. circa 2000 ask fans in the area how interested they were in attending a beef game.

UNO Hockey was THE dominant force in the Omaha winter landscape from 1997-2002. CU basketball was an afterthought. Could you say the same thing by 2006? nope.

For all of those scenarios, those teams didn't sustain the fan interest and momentum they cultivated. These things come and go and often fade.

I'm not saying that the Nighthawks couldn't become the uncontested rulers of the omaha professional sports landscape, but 4 games does not a legacy create. They need to string this along for 4-5 years, then we can talk.

and if you honestly think nighthawks tickets will cost $10 next year in the new stadium, after the new meca contract goes into affect, well, i've got some nice land in florida to sell you...
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no issues with Glass since he hired Dayton Moore. Since then the Royals have been in the top 3 spending in the amateur draft. They are now in the top 10 in international signings for dollars spent, extended Greinke and Soria, they have more minor league affiliates than any team except the Braves, and have spent in the free agent market (though they have been mixed on their success there). I really can't blame Glass for anything since Moore got hired. Which free agents have the Royals lost in the last 4 years that they really did not want to?

Glass was a brutal owner for Allard Baird though, I believe he learned his lesson.

If the Nighthawks continue with $10 I don't see where they ever make money. I think you will see a eventual price increase until they break even, don't know what that is though. They don't have a parent club to cover payroll.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  2:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get why plenty of people can make the case the UNO, CU, Nighthawks, etc are not the top of the class, but where does this belief come from that the Omaha Royals are the greatest things since sliced bread. Is it that fact that they have been around a long time? Their 5K per game attendance? Maybe the fact that you get to take 5K x 72 home games and get a huge number of 'fans'??? What is it about the Royals that make them the most exciting, riveting, enthralling form of sports entertainment this city has ever seen?

I go to games, yes they are cheap (usually free), and its solid play. But it isn't in a class of its own.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  3:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure anyone thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. For me they are a very affordable bit of sports/entertainment that is extremely family friendly. Their tix are affordable for the level of play you see, their kids club is the best one of it's kind (even better than the KC Royals version), and you get to see players up close (even better next year in the new digs) that will soon be in MLB. It also makes for a good guys night out for Thirsty Thursdays. One thing I will add the current ownership/local staff are great. They've really stepped up their in game entertainment and treat their fans as well as any organization I've been around.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to Greg.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  3:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$5.50 tickets at BFE Mike...$1.50 less than $7 at the Blatt. What the ORoyals give back to the community is far more than the Nighthawks could ever do in regard to reaching 600+ organizations each year with donations and various nights.

As far as 70-30, you are right and yes it is because it is new AND there are only 4 games which increases demand. Wait for the 24,000 seat ballpark to become 6,500 and the same thing will happen next year in BFE.

5800+ x 72 games. Not a bad draw.

I think that the CWS has been king and has a chance to either continue that or draw less, but it will not increase.

As far as the alcohol at Nighthawks games there is a major issue and the liquor control board is involved from both the tailgating and the sales at Blatt. Will be interesting to see what happens to affect the next game.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  7:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

This strikes me as a ruse to get people to support moving the team and keeping the name the same.

... o to get e-mail/home addresses to add to their promotional mailing lists

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leave-the-Omaha-Royals-name-alone/133344250048078

Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  6:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like Greg S. to qualify his statement that the Omaha Nighthawks are losing money. I haven't heard this, but would like more details.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here ya go...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100923/SPORTS/709239782/767

"Will the UFL be here? So far, these look like smart people. But the league loses money. Omaha will lose money this year. They're overspending and undercharging the consumer. It's a smart business model, designed to get you interested and then balance the books later. How long can they do this? Good question. There's speculation that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, a UFL investor and fan, might buy the league one day. That's if Cuban doesn't buy the tequila company in “Entourage."
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  11:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a prediction, not a statement.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  07:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he said, "omaha will lose money this year." didn't say, "i believe that omaha will lose money based on the amounts they are charging."

I've heard it several other places myself, but I got that from a 2 second google search.

I know some of you don't want to admit it, but with their current business model, the Omaha UFL franchise will lose money. Really no other way to slice it.
Go to Top of Page

Hal Dawg
Movie Star...

1210 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  11:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. I'd still like to see some real numbers but I trust Tom Shatel when he says the Omaha franchise is losing money.

I'll give this league one more year in its current incarnation. That's not to say it's going to go away, I just see someone buying it (much like the league the Omaha Beef plays in has been bought and sold, changed up, changed back, etc.).
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  2:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good point on the beef. I could also see the Omaha team surviving in several leagues or several versions of this league.

Omaha has proven that they will support high quality pro football. as long as their is a league for omaha to be in, there will be a home for the nighthawks or another omaha team.

just need to have a league though if this one folds...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  3:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Nighthawks have the Royals trumped on all those factors. $10 tickets for professional football with all-pros like Jeff Garcia and Ahman Green (and a roster full of players who've played in the NFL), versus prospects from one of the worst run baseball organization at $7-$8?

The Royals have the #1 rated minor league system in baseball, per Baseball America in 2010.

I should start charging you for all the times I call your BS out.

;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000