Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  1:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they would prefer to change the name. Because of the name Royals, don't they have to share the royalties (no pun intended) with KC? I believe I've read that somewhere and it's one of the reasons that so few farm teams carry the name of the parent club.

I do trust the current managing groupd to make a good decision.

I think no matter what list you come up with it would be lame. I'm not sure there's a good original name left out there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  1:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rather be an unoriginal Tiger than an original Funnel Cloud.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  2:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in 97, there was a lot of support for 'Bullfrongs' in the front office. Name is kinda dumb, but the logo kicked ass...and the mascot? Well that was nothing short of genius.

Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  3:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's a "Bullfrong"? (Bull shaped frog wearing a Thong?)

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  3:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't quite make out what rob white was trying to say about td ameritrade here. Was he taking an overall swipe at the design of the ballpark or just a swipe at the party deck. It wasn't positive no matter how you look at it. From his chat today when asked about the new sarpy ballpark and how it was shaping up...

Yep. They put down sod last week and it looks great. The framework for the scoreboard is up -- they'll put the scoreboard itself in after winter is over. The OF berm sod hadn't gone down last time I checked. The suites ares still in progress, but those are going to be pretty strong. I liked the view from the party deck behind home plate, too. It is wide open and very cool, unlike our 1985-style (pre-Camden Yards) downtown park, in my opinion.

I've been in the downtown park. I don't see it as cookie cutter or a concrete jungle like the pre camden parks. It didn't seem that cramped in the concourses either from what I saw. weird.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  3:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think just that it's circular, very basic in design. A lot of the 70's stadiums were that way to accomodate football. The post Camden stadiums are not rounded and the dimensions on different parts of the field vary. I'm going to withhold judgement. Kauffman down in KC does not have the funky aspects to it and I think that makes it stand out from the post Camden stadiums. Kauffman stood out in the stadiums because it was about the only baseball stadium that opened in it's era that was built only for baseball.

The one think about TD is it looks very basic. Nothing special or signature about it that I can see. Like Qwest has the Bud Bar area, Kauffman has the fountains, etc...

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  4:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, busch III is also very symmetrical and it is quite new.

I hate when ballparks have quirk for the sake of quirk. old ballparks had it because they had to fit into a city grid and didn't have the luxury of symmetry.

Not trying to quirk up the playing field like Houston and some other have is a plus for the omaha ballpark in my opinion. the sarpy one is adding some weird playing dimensions for no apparent reason.

I like the overall look of TD. It's got a nice beige brick look and lots of glass. kinda like the kaufmann renovations or Petco. it's more modern than most and at least they didn't fall into the trap of red brick as well.

However, I will agree with you that the overall amenities are pretty basic. But with the budget omaha had, I can't say that they could afford more than what they are getting. doesn't mean they need more either. It's a ballpark not an amusement park. It's signature feature really is the Qwest Center view and the downtown view. Just like Busch III and its view of the arch and the old courthouse in STL.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  11:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's symetrical but it is not rounded (or curved) like TD Ameritrade, Kauffman and the other pre Camden ballparks....

http://mlb.mlb.com/stl/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  12:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard numerous complaints about the design of TD Ameritrade, but they all are vague statements that, well, frankly, I can't figure out what the problem is. I've heard someone say it looks like a West O strip mall. I don't see that...I've never seen a strip mall with light standards, and anymore, most are all precast concrete.

I've also heard complaints about brick. (Don't agree with that; I see lots of stadiums with brick.) Personally, I think it's all sniping. We're also seeing a stadium being built, and even though Sarpy's ballpark has a sodded field, TD Ameritrade's exterior is much further along than Sarpy's.

About the only criticism of the downtown stadium is the lack of street level shops, from what I've seen. I understand why MECA didn't do it, but I'm not sure I agree with it. The rest appears to be mere sniping, or matters of personal taste.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at least neither stadium went with the somewhat cliched red brick. it works in cities like STL because most of the buildings in the area are red brick. However, half of all of the ballparks built in the last 15 years went with red brick just because.

Sarpy and Omaha both look nice IMO. Nice beige brick, some glass, etc.

Both of the ballparks will be fine and done on time, i'm sure. Still, the playing field is pretty key at this point though mike. I wouldn't discount that. TD wasn't anywhere near having a playing field in place when i was there, and that is a bit of a red flag for me. both parks can work on structural work and especially interiors of suites etc all winter. However, I'll give Sarpy a leg up for having grass in now. May give them a better playing surface next year.

I was against the street level shops from the get go, but that's another debate, btw.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  10:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as schedule, I have heard 2 weeks ahead for Sarpy and anywhere from 1.5 months to 8 months behind for TD. ORoyals will be in offices in December and Ticket / Gift offices in January. Opening day is Apr 15. There is no way possible that TD is 8 months behind, but I do believe 1-2 months because the field is at least that alone. The are having major issues with water table and draining. Can't get it so they can install the subgrade and field. The fix may cost as much as $2MM more...interesting stuff since Jesse Cuevas told them this would probably happen if they selected that site.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  10:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing you can answer this question Metrofan. Why is Omaha having so many problems with the water table as you've stated? Why are we having more problems than let's say St. Louis, Cincinnatti, Pittsburgh, or San Francisco had with their ballparks? Building stadiums right next to rivers or large bodies of water isn't really something new. I don't recall the cities that I mentioned having major issues with their stadiums and they are all just about as close to rivers if not closer with their facilities.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not really sure...Cuevas is the one that I got this from. I do know that it has something to do with the River and the drainage/water table, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  09:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

I am not really sure...Cuevas is the one that I got this from. I do know that it has something to do with the River and the drainage/water table, etc.

The ground it is built on was swamp and still drains like it. See Dodge Park this year. It is raised above River level by Dodge Street excavations that were deposited there to get rid of them cheaply and get rid of the swamp.

The hotel and the Qwest didn't have this problem as they are built on piers that go to bedrock and their ground level floors are floating.

The field at the baseball stadium needs to drain especially fast, and is only a few feet above the river, so gravity isn't much help. Rosenblatt was 50-60 feet above the river, so the cheap and easy gravity driven sand systems worked great there.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  09:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very interesting, but one would think there would be ways to combat this. Look at parks like the ones in Des Moines, Pittsburgh, Cincy, etc. They must have similar issues, right? they are right on the banks of the rivers in those cities.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$ can fix it. Pretty interesting that there have been no tours or media on TD. Also interesting that no one has reported on this field issue.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  2:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and there's the bottom line. it all comes down to money. They've done some of it on the cheap down there. It's obvious to anyone who's paid attention to it.

It's funny to me that MLB level ballparks cost upwards of $300 million. Sure, they've got an 3rd deck, but that doesn't get you all the way from the $100 million that omaha is spending all the way to over $300 million.

That number has been suspect to me from the get go for a 25k seat ballpark. I've been saying for a while that they may get up and running for $100 million, but don't be surprised if they quickly come back looking for more money to fix the problems not included in the original budget.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  4:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you built a series of V's into the sub-turf ground, and all of these V's were tapered so they would ultimately drain into a single cistern/catchment area, could you build a pumping system that would take rain water out of the field?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  06:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

$ can fix it. Pretty interesting that there have been no tours or media on TD. Also interesting that no one has reported on this field issue.

Huh? What are you talking about? The media got a peek on it three months ago in the buildup to the CWS....
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100616/CWS/306169747/0
quote:
And the only spectators Wednesday at TD Ameritrade Park? No, that is not the world's pastiest group of construction workers. Those are two dozen or so hard-hat-wearing members of the Omaha news media, taking the official press tour.

So, yes, you still need to squint through your safety goggles to see what TD Ameritrade Park will become: a pristine patch of green in the middle of Omaha's paved downtown.

The new home of the College World Series starting next year.

As for the field issue, you might want to check in with your sources for an update. It sure looked like they have been readying the field for the last couple of weeks.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  09:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike...3 months ago was the last news...you proved my point. A project that came with controversy needs consistent media push to create a positive perception.

As far as my source, I have posted who it is above.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  11:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i see omaha trying something like this to make some extra money. might be kind of fun...

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100923&content_id=14991838&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle

Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  3:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that sounds like it could be alot of fun and an excellent way to use a stadium during the winter months.

Sec. 213 row A seats 11, 12
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  4:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know. that's what I was thinking. I think it is cool!
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  5:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hal Daub thought that idea was completely absurd when Jim Suttle threw it out there as an "out of the box" idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLeSbo7bdJk

Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  8:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem with doing that at TD Ameritrade is the Nighthawks will be playing there till mid November, otherwise that would be an exellent idea

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  9:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on how long the UFL season goes, open it up Christmas week and run it into January. There's too much of a rush in society today to get the Christmas celebration over before December 25th anyway.

Personally, I think the ultimate climax for this would be the outdoor UNO hockey game in mid-January...

Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be great if they could do another Hockey day in Omaha with the Lancers playing Early and UNO playing in the evening at TD Ameritrade. Have the Lancers play the Stars, and UNO play North Dakota or one of the Minnesota schools. You know their fans would travel down here to see their team play in an outdoor game.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  4:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy498

It would be great if they could do another Hockey day in Omaha with the Lancers playing Early and UNO playing in the evening at TD Ameritrade. Have the Lancers play the Stars, and UNO play North Dakota or one of the Minnesota schools. You know their fans would travel down here to see their team play in an outdoor game.

Evening? No way. We're talking about January here. The NHL does this right. Schedule the game for high noon, so you can have a snow delay if necessary. But there's no reason why the Lancers couldn't play an outdoor game a few days before or after. The big expense is setting up the ice.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  08:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think it has to be during the day.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  09:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Royals final 9 choices are in for renaming the team.

Cattlemen
Sodbusters
Force
Hailstorm
Omahahogs
Royals
Commanders
Storm Chasers
Windwalkers

beyond pitiful. Monarchs didn't even make the cut? wow. Anything besides keeping the Royals is going to be a fail of epic proportions. In fact if they go with anything but Royals or Force, I'm probably not going to renew my tickets.

I'm not paying money to go watch a team with an embarrasing name like the Omahahogs, Windwalkers, Cattlemen, Sod Busters, or Storm Chasers.

You know, there was a brief moment there where I was actually excited about the name change and a fresh start. Should have known they'd screw it up on an incredible level.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000