Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

The golden spikes fiasco is another warning to this ownership group to do it right or don't do it at all. keep the royals over going to something horrendous or even boring.

"Fiasco?"

Oh no you didn't.

(sliding out chair)
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  2:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like i said, i didn't hate the name spikes. golden spikes was a bad fit because it just seemed out of place considering most people know the famous golden spike is in utah.

the uniforms were relatively boring, imo.

considering that they had to backtrack after 3 years (right?), could it be qualified as anything but a fiasco?

I know you worked there at the time and liked the name, but you have to admit it didn't work out, right?

The whole thing has always fascinated me. any inside info you have on the name change outside of what you've given way earlier in this thread would be great considering the impending name change.

I'll hang up and listen.
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be going to the final game on Thursday, I've heard they've sold over 15,000 tix for that. It's also a thirsty thurdsday $1 beer, soda, and hot dogs so it should be a pretty rowdy crowd!

Sec. 213 row A seats 11, 12
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll be there. it's part of my mini-plan.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  3:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they really backtracked. They got new owners and they tried to seem like they were more in touch with the locals so that restored the name the Royals.

I hope they have more of the cheap beer stands next week with that crowd coming.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  10:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought this was interesting. The NCAA has control a block away from TD Ameritrade.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100902/NEWS01/709029912#clean-zone-puts-project-on-hold

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more of the same...
Go to Top of Page

mavhskr
New Recruit

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  12:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post, Greg, though interesting isn't the word to use...more like nauseating.

NCAA - Nefarious Control of All Alcohol

NCAA - Now Controlling All Affairs

NCAA - Neglecting Commonfolk Allthewhile Accumulating cash

I could keep going, but knowing the Big Brother nature of that wretched organization, I now need to go into hiding.

MECA, CWS Inc., the City of Omaha, and the NCAA - what a disgustingly wicked quartet.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Thought this was interesting. The NCAA has control a block away from TD Ameritrade.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100902/NEWS01/709029912#clean-zone-puts-project-on-hold

Greg

Ummm...did you forget about how the NCAA originally wanted to bulldoze everything along 10th street for a clean zone around Rosenblatt?

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the fact that people our shocked by it.

That's amusing to me. I wouldn't be suprised if the new wheel tax isn't going directly to Dennis Pope either.

Not really kidding
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  1:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike
[Ummm...did you forget about how the NCAA originally wanted to bulldoze everything along 10th street for a clean zone around Rosenblatt?

I love how the NCAA refers to it as a "clean zone", when what they really mean is "clean of any competition for the NCAA"-zone.

I would love to see the planning board or the council demand from the NCAA that if they want to restrict free trade at the new park area, that they cough up compensation to the owner.
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  2:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NCAA pay for something? Now that's funny. I mean we build them a shiny new ballpark and then get to pay them for the priveledge of them holding their event there, sure wish I could run a business like that.

Sec. 213 row A seats 11, 12
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  2:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew they wanted to bulldoze around the stadium and the land would be purchased. I did not know they would have a say in development a block away from the stadium downtown on land that they, the city or MECA does not own or purchase.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  3:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool news. With the talent coming through KC's farm system (would not shock me to see it rated #1 in all of MLB next year) and the parent club being on tv so much in this market with it's deal on FSN KC, this is good to see.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/02/2195101/royals-extend-contract-with-omaha.html
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  10:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new names are in for the Omaha Royals. God! Most of them are beyond horrible. Out of 1400 names, and these were the cream of the crop? dear god, Omaha, this is the best we could come up with?

I'm going to vote for Monarchs as #1 because of the baseball tradition of the name and because Monarchs makes sense for Papillion. My 2nd choice is Royals. If they are going to make me pick a 3rd, it's about a tie between twisters and thunderbolts. Beyond that, just fold the team and save us the embarrasment.

http://www.planbbranding.com/feedback/Omaha_Voting.html?EDID=UJZFA0-WTTPDC-6QI33H-OUV10O-B5RBZT-v1

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some terrible frickin names! Who comes up with that crap? I was going to pick on one or two but just about all of'em are terrible. What's the history behind the Monarchs name? Besides the history, that is actually a decent name. And why does it make sense for Papillion? I'm genuinely curious, I have no idea.

"Yeah, hi I'm Bobby Knobby and you better be careful or we'll bust your sod!"
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

Those are some terrible frickin names! Who comes up with that crap? I was going to pick on one or two but just about all of'em are terrible. What's the history behind the Monarchs name? Besides the history, that is actually a decent name. And why does it make sense for Papillion? I'm genuinely curious, I have no idea.

The Papio creek was named Papillion by French fur traders due to the large number of Monarch butterflies that lived at its mouth with the Missouri. The term "Monarch" is the English name for the same butterfly, and thus it's use in Papillion athletics (PHS's nickename is the Monarchs).

If I remember correctly, one of the dominant teams in the Negro league was the KC Monarchs. Thus the baseball connection.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  11:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Bigredmed about covered it.

also, monarchs would serve as a sort of Memphis Redbirds-esque connection to the Royals without having the exact same name as the parent club.

I think it might be about the best idea if they want to ditch royals.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  11:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorites: Omahogs, Slayors, and Thunderbats. (No, not really)

Did they spell Slayor with an O to avoid paying royalties to deathmetal band Slayer? Perhaps, the newest lame joke: An omahog, a slayor, and a thunderbat walk into a bar ...

Hopefully, Monarchs win. It's the best and, really only, sensible choice.

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was one of many submitted Monarchs.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep an eye out for turf this week at the new ballpark...

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/102779994.html

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I was one of many submitted Monarchs.

That one could rub some people the wrong way, much like when the Lancers became "River City" by emphasizing that they aren't in Omaha anymore.

But yeah, there are a bunch of really bad names on the list. I'd be shocked if "Royals" doesn't actually win the first round of voting.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd be shocked if royals isn't in the top 3 when it's all said and done, but i want monarchs over royals.

don't think that monarchs would anger anyone. could be wrong though.
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  1:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to submit- Omaha Fur Traders.
Coonskin cap night would be ginormous...
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  3:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of depends on how it's sold. The big thing is Omaha is remaining in the title. It would be a nice tie in with the location and Monarch continues the Royalty theme. Also do like that the Monarchs were a Negro League team in KC. (got to meet Buck O'Neill a few years ago at the 'blatt. Probably my favorite celebrity encounter of my life)

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  4:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Greg.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  10:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarification on the term Monarchs BRM and nouse I'm sure could have provided that as well. That's a pretty cool name regardless and even more so with the history. I just wonder with the high school having that name. I know they're completely different levels of play but still, two Monarchs in the same town.
Go to Top of Page

LincolnMav
Freshman Mav

Turkmenistan
220 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  11:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slayor = Royals backwards. Hey it worked for Aksarben!
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  2:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh. Duh. Of course.

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to our old marketing guy who was driving the Spikes name change back in the day. He was absolutely stunned by the lameness and all out horrible names on that list.

We agreed it's a conspiracy to make it look like they're looking for a new name..but will stick to Royals in the end to satisfy all parties.

Seriously...nobody can be that lame.

PS - When we changed the name the first time, my submission was Steamers. They did some artwork for the logo and it was awesome. Didn't even make the final cut though back then. Showed how much pull I had.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000